• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Goddamnit...

This is what makes this thing so frustrating. So much conflicting information.

Did you install completely fresh (onto an empty drive), or did the installer need to detect your Win 7 install first?

edit:

Nevermind, didn't see this post before I wrote that. I'm going to pull the trigger I think.

It checks your Windows license before you buy Win 8, just to see if you're eligible for the deal. After that it will never ask for a Win 7 key or anything like that.

bedlamite

Anyone else using a trackpad on their desktop? The learning curve is steeper but once you get those gestures down, man, you're flying

Also, live tiles on desktop are great. Similar to my phone setup, I've got tiles for the important people in life and the social media updates in them work flawlessly; with the added space of the desktop I'm able to throw on all my RSS feeds on there as well. Nice

Nemesis_

I'm having a bit of a problem with emails.

Whenever I go to sync, I get the [email address] is not available error.

I get no errors in Outlook (which was installed previously on Windows 7) however I would prefer to use the built in Mail app.

Anyone got any ideas?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Does anyone else's desktop notification bar settings constantly reset? I'm sure I've set Steam to Always show icon and notification but it keeps reverting on boot.

AnkitT

Welp, just put down the upgrade money for win8, downloading now. Figured that a home premium to a standard win8 upgrade would be worth the cash i'm paying. Fiddled with the dev preview last year, but had some driver issues so I switched back to w7.

Mr. Hyde

Not sure if it is common knowledge but just found out over at SlickDeals that anyone can buy Win 8 for the $14.99. Was not going to upgrade but for $15 I might as well.

How so? Doesn't the Windows 7 key you input have a date embedded on it or something? I tried to use the promo and it told me I could not after i put in my Windows 7 code.

SeanR1221

Yes, you can!

For gaming here are some benchmarks for a similar rig, the HD 4000 isn't the best card but it's possible to game.

e: I thought it had an i7, still performance should be pretty close to that.

Yup, Valve or Blizzard games are super optimized so they should run more than fine, the processor seems to be the same as the SurPro, but this has more ram and more storage capacity but the one in the SurPro should be a lot faster since it uses SSD, the screen is better in the Surface (1080p IPS screen vs the shitty ones Acer always put in their laptops), and this lacks the pen stylus support.

Thanks guys !

The screen on the Acer is absolutely crap, though. 1366x768 regular LCD @ 15.6". The Surface Pro is 1920x1080 IPS @ 10.6".

Hm didn't consider that. See, if I'm going to replace a laptop I want a laptop. I will still use (and love) my iPad. I'm just over an ultra book. That air runs pretty slow with its 2GB of ram and the 64gb HDD suuuuucks.

I dunno guys, what should I do!!! I really think I could get 700 or so for my air. It's a tough decision. I haven't used Windows since 2001. What was that, xp?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have come across a bug on my desktop PC. When I start typing to search from the start screen it works fine, but if I go to the search charm and then type it locks up and goes back to the start screen.

Searching within an app seems fine however.

When I search for something in the Start menu that's not stored on my boot drive, Windows isn't able to find any files there. Suggestions? All of my programs run fine, they just don't appear in searches.

LQX

How so? Doesn't the Windows 7 key you input have a date embedded on it or something? I tried to use the promo and it told me I could not after i put in my Windows 7 code.

No, seems to go by the date you tell it rather than checking your serial. My Win 7 is a recent re-install but it is years old. I just ran the program and got my order for $15. If you try it, just make sure you tell it you bought a system like in September though.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5386070-Win...ilable-today-must-have-purchased-windows-7-pc

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so yeah https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/ does not verify anything. I told it I bought a pc in august, (I have not) and it gave me a promo code and then told me to download the upgrade tool. at the order confirmation page I put in the promo code and bought it for $15. Gave me a key via email and I am now in the process of downloading Windows 8 Pro.

edit: ^ lol @ above.

Mr. Hyde

so yeah https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/ does not verify anything. I told it I bought a pc in august, (I have not) and it gave me a promo code and then told me to download the upgrade tool. at the order confirmation page I put in the promo code and bought it for $15. Gave me a key via email and I am now in the process of downloading Windows 8 Pro.

Hum.. I did all that and it took me to the Validation area where it asks to put in my Windows 7 key. I did that and it said I am not eligible.

Windu

Hum.. I did all that and it took me to the Validation area where it asks to put in my Windows 7 key. I did that and it said I am not eligible.
you need windows xp, windows vista or windows 7 to upgrade to windows 8. Is your Window 7 copy activated?
why is media center separate now? whats different from win 7 one?
nothing different. Microsoft just didn't want to pay for all of the fees that come with it. DVD fee, codecs etc...

Mr. Hyde

you need windows xp, windows vista or windows 7 to upgrade to windows 8. Is your Window 7 copy activated?

nothing different. Microsoft just didn't want to pay for all of the fees that come with it. DVD fee, codecs etc...

I used IE and it fixed the issue.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can I keep running the preview or will I be forced to update? I was foolish enough not to dual boot and guess I can't revert to Windows 7 now.

Is it just me or does Store not work at all?

store.png

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
anybody knows how to tell IE in RT not to use the mobile version of the web sites?

Shurs

I'm really liking Windows 8, but my Macbook Pro's trackpad does not work.

It worked with Windows 7.

Hopefully they update the drivers soon.

Kingbrave

Thanks guys, I don't get paid till next week and this worked like a charm. I like it, but if it wasn't for the 40 (now 15 woot) price...I'd of never made the switch.

Dunlop

Metro screen is growing on me, anyone know if there is a way to lock it to a screen.

i.e dual monitor setup it is always active on one screen regardless of what you are doing on the other

MrBig

Metro screen is growing on me, anyone know if there is a way to lock it to a screen.

i.e dual monitor setup it is always active on one screen regardless of what you are doing on the other

The start screen operates like the start menu in that it goes away if you interact with something besides it, but metro applications can be dragged/opened on any monitor while concurrently using the desktop on another.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So will I seriously have to install windows 7 to install windows 8? Says my key is invalid and it's the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk from amazon. Came with a key.

its a upgrade, so yeah.

Glad I saw these posts in time. I had ordered from Amazon, because I thought I would be able to do a completely fresh install with the upgrade disk after reading various posts here.

I guess that isn't the case, but if you go through the $40 online offer online and make a bootable USB drive, you can do a clean install onto an empty drive? I'll try that.

Windu

Glad I saw these posts in time. I had ordered from Amazon, because I thought I would be able to do a completely fresh install with the upgrade disk after reading various posts here.

I guess that isn't the case, but if you go through the $40 online offer online and make a bootable USB drive, you can do a clean install onto an empty drive? I'll try that.
I think you can do a clean install (aka format) but you have to do it within windows or something.

Mr. Hyde

Thanks guys, I don't get paid till next week and this worked like a charm. I like it, but if it wasn't for the 40 (now 15 woot) price...I'd of never made the switch.

Agreed. I couldn't spend $40.00 to dive head first into a new OS right now but I will take the time to make an opinion of it for $15.00. I like metro already from looking at it so we'll see if I can use it how I envision.

Dunlop

The start screen operates like the start menu in that it goes away if you interact with something besides it, but metro applications can be dragged/opened on any monitor while concurrently using the desktop on another.

figured as much, just thought it would be great to have those tiles always showing while I worked on the other screen

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think you can do a clean install (aka format) but you have to do it within windows or something.

I ordered an SSD onto which I want to install just Windows 8 without first installing Windows 7. I'm hoping that, once it arrives, I can take advantage of the $40 upgrade offer and choose the SSD as a destination for the Windows 8 installation even though Windows 7 is on another drive.

Windu

figured as much, just thought it would be great to have those tiles always showing while I worked on the other screen
I have a feeling multiple monitor support will be improved. As well as how the desktop and the new stuff work together. It is very much a version 1 product. They have hinted at updating this OS a lot faster too. We won't just be getting security fixes and bug fixes with the service pack or whatever they call it.

Kingbrave

Agreed. I couldn't spend $40.00 to dive head first into a new OS right now but I will take the time to make an opinion of it for $15.00. I like metro already from looking at it so we'll see if I can use it how I envision.

I liked the metro stuff when I tried the release preview the other day. I installed it because I hadn't wiped my PC in a year and was like fuck it.

I was going to get it at 40 but 15 really helps.

Top Bottom