• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Anyone figure out how to force small icons to become bigger icons? I want my Chrome Metro icon to be a rectangle rather than a square, and it's bugging my OCD :(

win8desk30iij.png

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Anyone figure out how to force small icons to become bigger icons? I want my Chrome Metro icon to be a rectangle rather than a square, and it's bugging my OCD :(

win8desk30iij.png
right click the tile and select larger or smaller. not all of them support the larger tile though.

LQX

win8desk30iij.png

For some reason I thought Steam could not show up in one of those little boxes and that was all the fuss was about with Gabe calling Windows 8 out.

Question: Did you have any trouble adding it to one of those little boxes? Is it intuitive to make programs show up in those boxes?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For some reason I thought Steam could not show up in one of those little boxes and that was all the fuss was about with Gabe calling Windows 8 out.

Question: Did you have any trouble adding it to one of those little boxes? Is it intuitive to make programs show up in those boxes?
Right click on the start screen, click the all app link that appears on the bottom, and right click on Steam or whatever else to pin it to the Start screen. You can also right click in desktop to pin folders, other shortcuts, etc.

Also, if you want Steam to start in Big Screen, right click on the Steam icon on the start screen, open file location, and add -bigpicture to the end of the shorcut's target (after the quotations).

Windu

pinning desktop applications to the start screen? its as simple as right clicking the executable and selecting "pin to start screen".

mAcOdIn

Anything that installs what would traditionally be a start menu shortcut in an older version of Windows will show up in a tile by default. Just look at the Metro screen as the new "start menu."

Everyone's, well Steam's, gripe is that they can never be on the store because they're not giving up their cut to MS, and they're worried that one day people may be forced to install stuff through Metro and since they'd be unwilling to give MS a cut of their money and put themselves on the Metro store they'd essentially be forced out.

Basically it's the whole slippery slope idea. I don't see it because if it ever did come to that I think MS would lose the one real edge they have over Apple.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I got everything installed and it is running perfectly fine...UNTIL.

I am trying to access my USB drive where all my backups are and it says I do not have permissions?

Access Denied.

No matter what I do it blocks me.

Anyone seen this?

daedalius

So, what's the word on tablet drivers? as in Wacom drivers working with Win8.

Specifically of the Cintiq variety :)

Looking to upgrade my wife, but the Wacom question isn't for her, I'll upgrade myself eventually.

MrBig

So, what's the word on tablet drivers? as in Wacom drivers working with Win8.

Specifically of the Cintiq variety :)

Looking to upgrade my wife, but the Wacom question isn't for her, I'll upgrade myself eventually.

Mostly the same as W7. There is no longer a way to disable the splash effect when clicking, as far as I can tell, but it doesn't do that in PS so it doesn't matter much

Is there a way to force the desktop to appear on launch?

I can get Windows 8 for free, but I won't even waste the bandwidth if I have to click the desktop app at login.

Windu

Is there a way to force the desktop to appear on launch?

I can get Windows 8 for free, but I won't even waste the bandwidth if I have to click the desktop app at login.
not officially, I think there are some third party stuff that does it. Also if you never turn off your pc then you should be fine. Windows 8 resumes where you left off.
It's a damn shame you still can't search the store straight from the browser still.
yeah I know. I would have expected that to be up and running by now.

zychi

Banned
anyone know how i can install this on a macbook air via bootcamp? the gf wants to try it out. we have an iso file and i'm lost on how to continue this.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I got everything installed and it is running perfectly fine...UNTIL.

I am trying to access my USB drive where all my backups are and it says I do not have permissions?

Access Denied.

No matter what I do it blocks me.

Anyone seen this?

Yes, that always happens to me on certain folders after reinstalling an OS. It should ask you to grant it permission and after the first time it won't ask again.

I shut down my pc everyday, I'm one of those weirdos.

What's the first thing you do when you launch your computer and you're sitting at your desktop?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
How do I increase font size of modern UI? My HTPC is good on desktop, but I'm squinting at start screen.

Just found out about this really helpful tip, thought I'd share.

When you push enter on the keyboard when you get to the start screen, it launches the app that's in the upper left corner (first app on the start screen). Put the desktop up there and bam, simply need to hit enter when on the start screen to go to the desktop.

Also, remember, right click on the start screen in the lower left to get to the power users menu!

How do I increase font size of modern UI? My HTPC is good on desktop, but I'm squinting at start screen.

You can increase the DPI in PC Settings (located at bottom of Settings charm) -> Ease of Access -> "Make everything on your screen bigger"

teh_pwn

Just finished installing and setting up Windows 8 on my PC. My GOD it's so much nicer than Vista already ...

That's quite a jump. Desktop is basically Vista functionality plus libraries, snap, ribbon, and 2x the speed.

I'm amazed that people still use XP and still think it's better. They're crazy.

LAME. No 50% modern snap with desktop. Deal breaker with netflix modern app. Will continue to use browser.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
navigate to folders to perform file management, or launch programs.

I use a start menu maybe 2% of the time im using a pc.

Yeah, so why not do that from the Start menu when you first boot? Pin your drives and you can do all that as soon as you log in. As a bonus you'll also have an instant look at how many emails you have, FB/twitter messages etc

Windu

just got it up and running on my htpc. looks good with the dpi scaling. $15 well spent. Looks like you can navigate the start screen with a windows remote (which just sends keyboard presses, so not surprising). Only problem is getting back to the start screen when dumped to the desktop. Going to have to customize one of the buttons to get it to send the windows key.

teh_pwn

Actually with that DPI scaling, Start Screen is a massive improvement over the Start menu for HTPCs. Everything is clearly visible.

Chrome also seems to be performing much smoother than on my previous Win7 install. I must have had conflicting addons or something (Java, flash, silverlight, etc).

Yeah, so why not do that from the Start menu when you first boot? Pin your drives and you can do all that as soon as you log in. As a bonus you'll also have an instant look at how many emails you have, FB/twitter messages etc

there were more things, I installed win 8 at work (I work in I.T.) and one thing I couldn't stand was it seemed to have 2 different sets of control panels, 1 that comes from a metro interface, and another that was traditional desktop.

I'll probably get windows 8 next time I reformat, I'm also just sad that Microsoft is beginning to go down a closed garden path now (that no one can convince me otherwise of, sorry). They are desperate after Jobs handed them their ass for almost 10 years, and will throw traditional desktop users under the bus eventually (again imo.), to chase that apple pot of gold.

zedge

[imghttp://www.abload.de/img/win8desk30iij.png[/img]

How did you get your steam and origin icons to fill in like that? Mine are small like the chrome tile.

Mine.

W8Desktop.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone know what the DRM situation is for the same account on multiple PCs or multiple accounts on the same PC for purchased Windows Store applications?

Windu

its up to 5 pcs i believe.
Is there a chrome app, steam app or facebook app, Messages is weird for an IM, is that thing replacing MSN as XboxMusic and Video are replacing Zune and WMP?
Chrome - yes (not on windows rt)
Stream - no
facebook - no

And yes messenging app supports msn and facebook (surprised it doesnt support skype yet to be honest). And yes the video and music replace zune. I think wmp is still there though. (as well as the zune desktop application).

its up to 5 pcs i believe.

Chrome - yes (not on windows rt)
Stream - no
facebook - no

And yes messenging app supports msn and facebook (surprised it doesnt support skype yet to be honest). And yes the video and music replace zune. I think wmp is still there though. (as well as the zune desktop application).

I got the latest dev build and Chrome doesn't appear to go metro, it just goes to desktop rather than having a app.

The messaging app is weird, it has no contacts list and you have to launch People to see who's online and from logging into MSN too, that list of online people that People App gives is inaccurate and out of date by about 10 minutes.

a mod somewhere mentioned to do this in the cmd.

net stop wuauserv
rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
net start wuauserv

Works now.

What are some must have apps right now for desktop/laptop users?

I got the latest dev build and Chrome doesn't appear to go metro, it just goes to desktop rather than having a app.

The messaging app is weird, it has no contacts list and you have to launch People to see who's online and from logging into MSN too, that list of online people that People App gives is inaccurate and out of date by about 10 minutes.
For some reason I had to uninstall and reinstall then set as default browser at install for metro chrome to work. Honestly didn't like it. Much prefer desktop version.

dLMN8R

Anyone know what the DRM situation is for the same account on multiple PCs or multiple accounts on the same PC for purchased Windows Store applications?

You can log-in and install your apps on up to 5 PCs. You can remove a registered PC from your account in Store settings.

When you install an app on a PC, that app is also available for use by all other user accounts on that PC. Not installed automatically, but you can download them from the Store for free.

(It won't actually re-download the app a second time, it'll grab the download cache and install nearly instantly)

Rlan

win8desk30iij.png

So how'd you make the custom Metro icons for Steam, Origin etc? Can you just choose "use different icon" etc?

Top Bottom