• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

CaLe

Is there any way to open the start menu without having to hover over the lower left portion of the screen ?

I have multiple screens, which make interacting with the corners of the main screen a *real* pain.

Thanks

Jzero

Is there any way to open the start menu without having to hover over the lower left portion of the screen ?

I have multiple screens, which make interacting with the corners of the main screen a *real* pain.

Thanks
Press the Windows button on the keyboard.

dejay

Banned

Thanks

To address the multiple screens, there seem to be little "catches" at the corners between screens. If you slide your cursor long the bottom or top of the screen into the corners it will not be allowed to go to the next screen.

Animator

I'm wondering the same thing actually.

Do we need to follow this article ?:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/09/27/create-custom-windows-8-app-tiles-with-oblytile/

Yea people are doing really nice custom tiles with that.

urgent question

do I need to burn the update download to a dvd or does it install straight from the download? I am confused because it asked me if I wanted to keep any files or do a fresh install in that upgrade assistant thing as if it will go straight to install when the dl finishes.

Kaladin

Windows 8 is installed, but I'm having resolution issues with my main monitor. It has black bars on all sides and the secondary monitor does not. I know this is a Windows issue and not a monitor issue because it was perfect before.....

any advice?

Windows 8 is installed, but I'm having resolution issues with my main monitor. It has black bars on all sides and the secondary monitor does not. I know this is a Windows issue and not a monitor issue because it was perfect before.....

any advice?

Sounds like overscan issue. Should be able to fix that in the NVidia or AMD control panel.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Here's a tip I'm not sure everyone knows. You can pin more than apps to the Start screen. You can also pin people from your people hub for quick access to sending email or a message. Metro IE will let you pin bookmarks. Other programs will allow you pin other stuff as well, like AllRecipies will let you pin recipies etc etc etc.

Alucrid

Banned
So what would be the best way to get this on a fresh ssd on a laptop without a disc drive? Make the iso on a flash drive and install it through that? Would the $40 upgrade work for that?

Just booted up for the first time. Honestly... not really feeling it. My trackpad multitouch stuff isn't working and I don't even know where to look to fix it. Successfully installed chrome, but it's weird when Chrome from the "tile view" is a different browser instance from Chrome from the "Desktop view." Why are they different browser installations...

Lotta stuff that I'm kinda meh on. Like.. everything. But, this is a 3-year-old laptop, so... maybe it's meant for new systems that have all of that stuff built in.

Oh, also, so when I first installed... It asked me for my email, so I put in my gmail address and registered for a new account on here. And it said it sent me a confirmation email. It says it sent me that 3 times, but I definitely have not received anything. It said to check my spam, I did not. Is there... some issue registering your gmail address with Windows 8?

Also, I basically lost all multitouch support on my computer. It used to work under Win7. This is kind of a not wonderful Acer laptop from a few years ago, but I could do a 2-finger scroll. Or, by moving my finger to the right side of the track pad, scroll with 1 finger. I lost that with Win8. What's the deal? Anyway to get that bad... or are you just screwed unless you bought a new Win8 laptop?

Did you get the IEEE email?

Nope :( MS got it's pound of flesh ($15 bucks worth of it at least)... Now I'll be stuck with 9 keys total should that email ever get through :-/

If you aren't hurting for $15, I'd say go for it. It's stupid easy to do a clean install from the upgrade ISO since it seems to prequalify the presence of Win7 (at least that's what I thought it does) during Upgrade assistance phase.

Quick

Banned
Is there some interest here in making Metro icons? I figure we could collaborate and get something going. Especially with how easy it is to implement with OblyTile (thanks for the link, CaLe).

Snaku

Banned
Finished installing Win 8 Pro, updated everything, played around a little bit, and I have to say I like it. Maybe I'm just so over the stale Windows desktop, but Metro really is a breath of fresh air.

Any advice on how to get any sort of trackpad support? My trackpad is basically useless. Can't touch to scroll, can't do any "advanced" gestures from Win7. Where should I look? I have 2-3 year old Acer notebook

Edit

Also a few major issues.
Trying to install drivers... And I launch the installer from Chrome in the non-desktop window (the one launched from Tiles), and... The installer just disappears. I have to switch to "desktop" to get it to actually show up... Hmmmm. This is pretty basic functionality that is really confusing.

Link Man

Banned
Also, I basically lost all multitouch support on my computer. It used to work under Win7. This is kind of a not wonderful Acer laptop from a few years ago, but I could do a 2-finger scroll. Or, by moving my finger to the right side of the track pad, scroll with 1 finger. I lost that with Win8. What's the deal? Anyway to get that bad... or are you just screwed unless you bought a new Win8 laptop?

You probably just need to reinstall the drivers for your trackpad.

Mairu

Kind of disappointed with Win RT (Surface)

Performance seems to be lacking but I'm not sure if that's specific apps (Jetpack Joyride runs like garbage) or the device itself. It also seems to be lacking some basic features I'd expect present on an iPad or Nexus 7/10. There doesn't seem to be a stock Alarm app and the one that looked OK in the Win Store (Digital Nightstand) is pretty buggy and crashes when I try to name alarms.

I'll give it a few weeks but I'll probably end up returning this and waiting for the Surface Pro. I'm really happy with the hardware (Type Cover is especially awesome)

I need help with the install.
After it finishes installing my PC restarts but once i get to the splash screen below and it just spins without ever doing anything. Is there a fix for this?

windows-8-clean-install-03.png

linkboy

Is there some interest here in making Metro icons? I figure we could collaborate and get something going. Especially with how easy it is to implement with OblyTile (thanks for the link, CaLe).

I'd like to see someone metroify the desktop icons, they really clash with the rest of the OS.

As somebody who is completely satisfied with the Windows 7 interface, is there anything Windows 8 brings that I may like? I'm not feeling Metro.

Top Bottom