• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

strata8

I'm sort of convinced I'm being trolled by the appstore now. Apparently smartglass for xbox is now out on win8 and win phone.

NOT IN MY APPSTORE.

haha, I don't get it. I can install apps from the appstore, so the connection isn't missing... I'm on preview in europe mainland. Anyone other euros tried to find smartglass? I feel like the appstore may not be downloading new application lists or something.

Ahhhhhhhh!

Did you say this before? The Release Preview doesn't get any new apps!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhhhhhhh!

Did you say this before? The Release Preview doesn't get any new apps!!!

W
T
F
!

most fucking disjointed release ever. why in the fuck would they do that? That's dumber than making it almost impossible to even find where to by a non upgrade version.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I can't even enter one. It just says my login is incorrect.
You enter the code in place of your password. Go to your google account-security-2 step edit- manage app codes and then create a new one and enter it into your password field.

I have 2 step auth on my gmail and its connected to W8.

Jzero

W
T
F
!

most fucking disjointed release ever. why in the fuck would they do that? That's dumber than making it almost impossible to even find where to by a non upgrade version.
It's a preview, they're not going to give you access to everything. There would no point in buying it if you could get everything for free in the preview.

Windu

W
T
F
!

Disjointed? Its a damn beta version, what do you expect? And where to buy a non-upgrade? Its in the OP.

strata8

Found another way to get back to start if you have a trackpad with Win 8 drivers.

Swipe in from the right, but instead of 'flicking', hold your finger down and release it. You can also move your finger up/down to scroll through the charm bar options.

The problem I've found with this is that it activates the charms bar if you swipe from the left to switch apps directly afterwards.

MCD

So...my friend bought the upgrade retail package and according to him, there is a serial number with the 2 discs. He used said serial number to upgrade his Windows 7 PC without entering the old Windows 7 serial at all during the upgrade process.

And there was also a fresh install option too. This is really confusing. Can anyone confirm if I can use the upgrade discs to fresh install/reformat my desktop PC without entering my old Windows 7 serial number and instead use the provided Windows 8 key?

Tzeentch

The built in PDF reader is terrible. It's barely functional and a chore to navigate. You can't even directly type in a page to go to. Ugh.

Anyone else have the video, music and photo apps stop playing/opening files? They were all working earlier, now when I try to open a media file I get "can't play - error 0xc00d11d2". The photo app just crashes back to the start menu.

strata8

The built in PDF reader is terrible. It's barely functional and a chore to navigate. You can't even directly type in a page to go to. Ugh.

If you press the 'zoom out' button at the bottom right it gives you small thumbnails of all the pages. Better than nothing I guess.

Nymerio

You enter the code in place of your password. Go to your google account-security-2 step edit- manage app codes and then create a new one and enter it into your password field.

I have 2 step auth on my gmail and its connected to W8.

Oh my god, thank you so much, it's working!

pswii60

Purchased and installed the final version of Windows 8 Pro yesterday with the cheap upgrade deal.

It certainly took a good few hours to become used to it, but now I can do anything I could do on Windows 7, just took a little while to understand the shortcuts etc. I mean, I was like "How the hell do I get to Control Panel from the Desktop!?". Only to realise it's as quick as press the windows key, typing "Control Panel" et voila. Ridiculously quick.

Anyway, the positives. This thing is soooo damn quick. I'm running it on a Samsung 830 SSD and it's lightning fast. Boots much quicker than W7 did on a clean install too. I mean, it's almost instant.

The Metro interface you're initially greeted with is superb IMO. Especially as both myself and the gf share the PC. It means we can both log in as ourselves and see our own personalised screen, with it automatically logging in to our mail services, having our own personal internet history etc. I know there was an element of this with previous Windows but it's done so much more gracefully on W8.

My gf also loves the built in app store. Again, it makes things so easy and she can have her own personal set of apps and it won't interfere with anything I do. She's already downloaded and installed tons of the free games, the cookbook, etc.

When I first booted my PC this morning I found myself clicking on the Bing News app, which was a much better experience than my usual booting Chrome and going on the BBC web-site. There's just something about the speed and convenience and beautiful full screen layout. And when I want to do my music production or word processing, it'll go straight in to Desktop mode without any fuss.

I really don't get the hate for Windows 8. Yes, it takes some time to get used to, especially being a techie who's been with Windows since 3.1. But the pay-off is worth it IMO. Each to their own, I guess.

A lot of feedback has complained of Windows 8 not knowing whether it wants to be a mobile or desktop OS. For me, it's the best of both worlds. When I just want to turn my PC on and quickly check the internet, news, weather or play some casual games, it's right there and instant with the Metro interface. When I want to do anything more, it instantly changes in to Desktop mode. Perfect.

Korey

I mean, I was like "How the hell do I get to Control Panel from the Desktop!?". Only to realise it's as quick as press the windows key, typing "Control Panel" et voila. Ridiculously quick.

How is pressing the window key on your keyboard and then typing "control panel" better than clicking Start -> Control Panel?

pswii60

How is pressing the window key on your keyboard and then typing "control panel" better than clicking Start -> Control Panel?

I didn't say it's any better, but it's every bit as fast if not faster. Unless you're a slow typist. But I don't go in to Control Panel every day so not sure how it's an issue either way - and if it was I'd just create a shortcut on the desktop or in Metro.

Windu

Pin control panel to the taskbar or start screen if your time is that precious.

MCD

MS made keyboard relevant again!

Honestly, I'd love for a a settings app that can create control panel shortcuts on the start menu.

Phinor

So I read earlier today that there's a Giant Bomb app for Windows 8. I then spent no less than 30 minutes trying to find it using the built-in store feature and search. Why doesn't it show in the store? Why do I have to use my browser to google it to find it? What am I missing here?

pswii60

So I read earlier today that there's a Giant Bomb app for Windows 8. I then spent no less than 30 minutes trying to find it using the built-in store feature and search. Why doesn't it show in the store? Why do I have to use my browser to google it to find it? What am I missing here?

What? I just tried this myself. Click on "App Store" and type "Giant Bomb" and it appears immediately on the right (under "Recommended"), just click it and install it. Took me 5 seconds.

EDIT: In UK on retail.

Windu

the store is separated by region.

also i guess this should be a standard question now, are you running a preview build?

bedlamite

Go to store

Bring up the charms bar, hit search

"Giantbomb"

And done

Not sure what kind of difficulties you were having

nan0

Anyone else noticed that the task manager takes far longer to open than in Win7? Especially when invoked via CTRL-Shift-Esc

Phinor

Go to store

Bring up the charms bar, hit search

"Giantbomb"

And done

Not sure what kind of difficulties you were having

Well, nothing shows up when I do that. In Finland btw. Maybe our store is just even more useless than I thought it'd be. At least I can install the app when I first google it but that kind of defeats the purpose of having these search features built-in if you can't rely on them.

pswii60

Well, nothing shows up when I do that. In Finland btw. Maybe our store is just even more useless than I thought it'd be. At least I can install the app when I first google it but that kind of defeats the purpose of having these search features built-in if you can't rely on them.

It's probably just not available on your store, so the search feature is working fine. The biggest question is why it's not on your store. Might be worth asking the Giant Bomb guys.

Windu

i think there is a default option in store settings to only search your language, might try unchecking that.

Phinor

It's probably just not available on your store, so the search feature is working fine. The biggest question is why it's not on your store. Might be worth asking the Giant Bomb guys.

I started searching for other apps people have mentioned here and other forums and literally the only one the search found in my store was Skype. This is so useless. How do I get access to a proper store like the US one? I already have all my language settings except keyboard in US (which btw. messes the UI nicely, some parts of it are in English, some in Finnish.)

clav

For anyone who likes to add startup items, this is how I did it.

1. Windows key + R (Run). Type: 'shell:startup' without ' characters.

2. Make shortcuts accordingly.

Heres a pro-tip for closing Modern apps. Theres at least 3 ways to do it (without going into task manager):

- swipe from the top left of the screen downwards to pop up the list of apps and then middle click on the app you want to close (or you could right click and then click close on the menu that pops up)
- swipe from the top left of the screen downwards to pop up the list of apps then drag the app tile to the middle of the bottom of the screen
- when an app is active, you can put your mouse cursor at the top of the screen and a hand icon should appear. you can click and drag your mouse to the bottom and it should close the app

Check your store options and see if its limited to only apps in your native language. If it is turn that option off. I was able to find the Giant Bomb app by searching "giant bomb" (I'm in Canada).

Windu

Its better not to close them. They suspend after a short time and resume faster than having to start up completely. I really only close them if the application screws up.

maeh2k

Performance seems to be lacking but I'm not sure if that's specific apps (Jetpack Joyride runs like garbage) or the device itself.

For some apps it's probably because the developers haven't had access to Windows RT devices and thus couldn't really optimize performance (yet). I've read that some developers have only released their apps for Windows 8 for now (i.e. not RT), so that they don't get bad reviews on the store, when it's being run on a system they couldn't test for.

Phinor

Check your store options and see if its limited to only apps in your native language. If it is turn that option off. I was able to find the Giant Bomb app by searching "giant bomb" (I'm in Canada).

I tried that previously but actually I finally found a proper fix. The language settings went even deeper than I thought and I found couple of more things I could change into proper English. A reboot later and the store is full of apps, literally. Some of the Metro UI text is still in Finnish though which is a bit weird, but I can live with that.

eso76

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered before, but just to clarify further:
I qualify for the cheap upgrade to 8 pro (14 €) but if I understand this correctly, the upgrade is in fact a standalone full installer ? Meaning if I have to reformat I can then boot directly from the upgrade disc and do a fresh install without having to reinstall 7 first ?

pswii60

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered before, but just to clarify further:
I qualify for the cheap upgrade to 8 pro (14 €) but if I understand this correctly, the upgrade is in fact a standalone full installer ? Meaning if I have to reformat I can then boot directly from the upgrade disc and do a fresh install without having to reinstall 7 first ?

Yep, that's right. The Upgrade Assistant will allow you to make a bootable USB or ISO. Then you can format your drive and do a clean install, even if there's no Windows pre-installed on that drive.

They already know you're upgrading because you need to run the Upgrade Assiatant from an activated copy of Windows XP/Vista/7 to create the installation media and get a key in the first place.

MarkusRJR

I asked this in the surface thread, but can I use a prepaid credit card to pay for app purchases on the Windows 8 store? I was so pissed when I found I out I couldn't buy any apps for my Windows Phone 7 device.

pswii60

I asked this in the surface thread, but can I use a prepaid credit card to pay for app purchases on the Windows 8 store? I was so pissed when I found I out I couldn't buy any apps for my Windows Phone 7 device.

I should imagine it'll be the same as it all links back to your same Microsoft account.

MCD

I am hoping that it gives me the Points option since my Microsoft Account (Xbox) is linked and all.

Yeah, WP7 fucked us royally in the payment area. No gift cards, No Paypal, no nothing.

SeanR1221

So I posted about this laptop yesterday.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6941745&pid=1218816106471&ev=prodView

A few guys helped me with it. It's 100.00 off at Costco so I'm considering it. Question is, is there a better laptop in its class for around the same price? I love the touch screen so I'd want that too. Is having an i5 instead of an i7 a major downside? I know the resolution and weight are downsides. How about Acers reputation, what's that like? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't used a PC in almost 12 years.

Troll had posted some benchmarks of a PC with the same graphics card but an i7, would the benchmarks for this be significantly different because of that?

Korey

I didn't say it's any better, but it's every bit as fast if not faster. Unless you're a slow typist. But I don't go in to Control Panel every day so not sure how it's an issue either way - and if it was I'd just create a shortcut on the desktop or in Metro.

It's not that it's an "issue" per se...it's just that what you described is objectively worse than your previous operating system, and yet in your post you seem to be delighted about the fact that it wasn't as bad as you expected it to be. Just an interesting way to look at your purchase I guess.

pswii60

It's not that it's an "issue" per se...it's just that what you described is objectively worse than your previous operating system, and yet in your post you seem to be delighted about the fact that it wasn't as bad as you expected it to be. Just an interesting way to look at your purchase I guess.

No, just an interesting way of you reading my post.

I'm delighted at all the things that Windows 8 does well, which matches what I want from my PC. I don't spend all day every day in the Control Panel. That's not what I want from a PC. And regardless, as someone has described above, there's another quick way of getting to the Control Panel, you just click right mouse button in the bottom left hand corner and it's there on the list.

It's interesting that you focus on that single sentence in my entire post about Windows 8, whilst ignoring all the positives I mentioned.

MCD

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Install by booting the PC with the Upgrade install media

However you acquired physical Windows 8 Upgrade install media—by purchasing the retail Setup disc, perhaps, or by making one with the Upgrade Assistant online—you can of course install Windows 8 by booting your PC using that media. This works much as it did in Windows 7.

Except for one thing. This time it works.

Regardless of how you choose to install Windows 8 on your existing PC—Upgrade or Custom—when you boot into Windows 8 for the first time, you can see that the system is activated. In Windows 7, the Custom option during Setup—which is a clean install—would result in Windows install that wouldn’t activate. So you’d have to use my article to make it work.

So...it works? You can buy the upgrade and clean install it on any machine? WTF

Why did we need that OEM/System Builder version then?

Top Bottom