• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

strata8

Thanks! Worked great.

If you hook messenger up to Facebook, does it show you always online in chat?

Yes, if you're set to 'Available'. I opened up Messaging, set my status, closed it through the task manager, got someone to send me a message on Facebook, and the notification popped up.

Medalion

Banned
I take back what I said about the no sound problem in Youtube on Windows 8

I had the exact same problem just now on my Windows 7 computer watching a random youtube video that I know for a fact should have sound, not muted or anything

It may be a problem with youtube or the player itself

maeh2k

Got the new Asus Q200E laptop that has the touchscreen built in, liking it so far. Still getting use to W8, but it works pretty well with it. Really like being able to interchange with the track pad and touch depending on what I'm doing. The specs aren't the greatest, but I just wanted something simple to coincide with my Note 10.1 for studies. It will tide me over till the better hybrids come out next year.

I'm wondering how repairable those new Asus notebook are. Is it possible to open it up and replace the HDD or the RAM?

My work is doing this, too. They are going to be purchasing a bunch of Windows 8 devices over the next few months for various departments.

Hey Troll,
Ever get your IEEE email (and I wonder if they meant 8 [business] days)?

EDIT: Finally made it to your post above... seems like no dice huh?

Ashes

Banned
I'm about to go get my self a ssd drive. I presume by downloading win 8 upgrade, I can install it on the ssd drive, and get back free space that use to be on the original hard drive... right?

1. current pc:

hard drive with os win7

2. after upgrade with ssd drive:

hard drive with os win7
+
ssd drive.

3. after win 8 upgrade:

hard drive
+
ssd drive with os win8

right?

Keyouta

Been using Windows 8 now for a few days and haven't had many problems. Most will be sorted out once the correct drivers are released I suppose.

It definately has a learning curve, that's for sure, but nothing too difficult

surly

Banned
A bit of a long shot maybe, but is anyone here running DJ software on Windows 8? Serato, Traktor - that kind of thing. Any issues? That's the one thing that stops me pulling the trigger on installing it on a couple of my machines.

No, nothing yet. I paid them on the 18th.

Maybe there slammed? I can't believe a respectable organization like IEEE would renege on a membership offer. I'm just happy I found an additional way to get into the OS but I hope they honor this eventually or I'll literally call them for a refund.

Did you get the OS via one of the other offers yet?

A bit of a long shot maybe, but is anyone here running DJ software on Windows 8? Serato, Traktor - that kind of thing. Any issues? That's the one thing that stops me pulling the trigger on installing it on a couple of my machines.

I'm not a DJ nor do I run DJ software but I wanted to give you peace of mind in knowing that the universal volume thing only affects Metro apps as desktop volume control is still per-app and works just like windows 7. Anything I was able to do in windows 7 as far as audio on the desktop seems to be preserved in Windows 8 desktop.

surly

Banned
I'm not a DJ nor do I run DJ software but I wanted to give you peace of mind in knowing that the universal volume thing only affects Metro apps as desktop volume control is still per-app and works just like windows 7. Anything I was able to do in windows 7 as far as audio on the desktop seems to be preserved in Windows 8 desktop.
Thanks man. It was more potential issues with DPC latency that I was concerned with, cos that can cause audio glitches and drop-outs which is obviously no good if you're DJing somewhere! I think I'll hang on for now as I'm in no rush and I'd rather be 100% certain about this before I go ahead and upgrade.

Phinor

When does Smartglass launch for Windows 8? I was under the impression that it was already available but trying to click "View in Windows Store" at apps.microsoft.com just redirects me to Store front page and trying to search the store for Smartglass gives me absolutely nothing. So what's the deal with that?

Troll

Banned
When does Smartglass launch for Windows 8? I was under the impression that it was already available but trying to click "View in Windows Store" at apps.microsoft.com just redirects me to Store front page and trying to search the store for Smartglass gives me absolutely nothing. So what's the deal with that?

Are you running the release preview?

Whogie

Smartglass is up and has been up pre-launch. It's showing for me *shrug*
Non-US, maybe?

How can I rename my admin account? It won't let me.
Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right Click, Rename

You might have to be on another account or something like that.

profile.live.com may work if you meant renaming your Windows Live user account.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
refund? how ya do that for a digital key that i redeemed?

I called them and told them I had a promo code to purchase windows 8 cheaper. Since they can only give full refund I'll have to buy it again using the promo code.

So they sent me an email agreeing(eLOD) that I want a refund. After that you should get the money back in 24 hours.

Diablos

Smartglass is up and has been up pre-launch. It's showing for me *shrug*
Non-US, maybe?

Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right Click, Rename

You might have to be on another account or something like that.

profile.live.com may work if you meant renaming your Windows Live user account.

No, I mean for Windows. I want to change the name displayed. When I do it changes back... trying to make another admin account... maybe it keeps changing back because I'm still logged into it.

MCD

Any recommendations on what metro password safe is good? If possible, I'd like to put my Keepass database on SkyDrive and just open it up using the metro app.

I have no idea about any of that but I saw LastPass on the US store just now.

I use a free trail (15 passwords only) of StickyPasswords. Pretty good for me.

I have no idea about any of that but I saw LastPass on the US store just now.

I use a free trail (15 passwords only) of StickyPasswords. Pretty good for me.

= = = = = = = = =

I'm noticing a lot of apps don't have device contracts (case in point: The Wikipedia App doesn't have a print contract. I have to load up the page in IE to print) which shows poor design but I'm hoping this will get fixed as developers understand that there's a hybrid OS out there that has these advanced features that'll give more value to their apps ;)

Can anyone help me with this?

Make sure you are searching the write sub-category. That is, if you are looking for an App, a File or a Setting.

Also, if you are searching the Store, then select the store app.

For things like the start screen or the store, you have to be on the landing page (the first screen) for it to recognize you are searching for something and automatically start looking.

Things in the store are regional and which regions they're available on is defined by the developer.

Long story short: There are plenty of powerful and useful ways to search in the [Final release] of Windows 8... its far from useless.

Lucifon

Make sure you are searching the write sub-category. That is, if you are looking for an App, a File or a Setting.

Also, if you are searching the Store, then select the store app.

For things like the start screen or the store, you have to be on the landing page (the first screen) for it to recognize you are searching for something and automatically start looking.

Things in the store are regional and which regions they're available on is defined by the developer.

Long story short: There are plenty of powerful and useful ways to search in the [Final release] of Windows 8... its far from useless.

As I said, I'm searching for Origin and Teamspeak etc which are NOT showing up in apps.

Are they listed in the 'All apps' section?

Nope. Any idea why they wouldn't be? Seems odd but I have a funny feeling there's others missing.

Troll

Banned
As I said, I'm searching for Origin and Teamspeak etc which are NOT showing up in apps.

Nope. Any idea why they wouldn't be? Seems odd but I have a funny feeling there's others missing.

Are they pinned to your start menu? If not try pinning them to your start menu then searching for them and let me know if they show.

strata8

What it means is that for some reason their shortcuts have disappeared from the 'start menu folder', so to speak. Use File Explorer to go to to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, paste a shortcut to the .exe, and it should show up in 'All apps' and subsequently the app search.

Another question, when you installed them, did you tick 'add shortcut to start menu'?

Cronen

Is there any way to re-download Windows 8 from the Microsoft website?

For some reason my Windows 8 download that was sat on my desktop has vanished. I have already purchased it, so I have the key ready to go in my email inbox. Just need to get the actual download file again.

Edit: Found it. If anyone else has this issue - the email with your product key has a link that lets you re-download the setup.exe.

Lucifon

Are they pinned to your start menu? If not try pinning them to your start menu then searching for them and let me know if they show.

They do now that I've manually got the exe and pinned them, just doesn't seem intuitive. Especially for everyday people who would have no idea where their program executables are located.

Are they even installed? Did you search your program file directories?

They all are indeed, all in add/remove programs etc.

Which country are you in?

Phinor

Which country are you in?

Finland.

And to those asking if I tried "Smartglass" or "Smart glass", I obviously tried both ways but I know the proper name is Smartglass or better yet, SmartGlass. But no matter how I try to search it, nothing shows up. Again, I'm from Finland but I've changed every possible region and language setting to English/US.

SeanR1221

So first impressions aren't great, maybe someone can help me here.

All of my games say connecting to Xbox Live and then freeze or just wont connect.

Games will freeze in the middle of playing (Like Jetpack Joyride)

The store says I have 34 updates, but wont let me click it. Last night it finally did and then the store crashed.

Its not easy at all how to figure out mouse settings and to change my log in settings (I don't want a password).

I don't know, just some odd quirks, maybe you guys can help me with these things.

For all you Mac Windows 8 users, were you able to upgrade your preexisting Windows 7 Boot Camp partition or did you have to start from scratch? I'm having trouble finding out how you can safely put Windows 8 on a Mac through Boot Camp,

Want to try this out real bad using the £15 upgrade option, but can't feasibly because my printer's drivers aren't going to be updated until next month and I need that working. :(

Just installed Windows 8. Everything went smoothly, but every time I click an app it has start up screen with the icon and then it just closes. I can't get into any of them. I can start programs just fine, though.

Wow, I just had Windows 8 boot up in 12 seconds. Fantastic!

Just finished installing myself and im having the EXACT same problem....any ideas?

Want to try this out real bad using the £15 upgrade option, but can't feasibly because my printer's drivers aren't going to be updated until next month and I need that working. :(

I think anyone on the fence should still snag themselves a key at that price. You don't need to use it right away.

strata8

So first impressions aren't great, maybe someone can help me here.

All of my games say connecting to Xbox Live and then freeze or just wont connect.

Games will freeze in the middle of playing (Like Jetpack Joyride)

The store says I have 34 updates, but wont let me click it. Last night it finally did and then the store crashed.

Its not easy at all how to figure out mouse settings and to change my log in settings (I don't want a password).

I don't know, just some odd quirks, maybe you guys can help me with these things.

I can't really say anything about the bugs you're having, because I've haven't experienced any of them. What hardware do you have?

I'm not sure how to disable passwords entirely. What you can do is disable automatic lock on sleep, and also create a 4-number pin in lieu of a password. Both of these can be found in PC Settings > Users.

Mouse settings are in the Control Panel.

Gibbo

FTS. My paypal payment has been pending for 2 days now (Payment seems to have been debited to my card already tho)- and no confirmation email from Microsoft. I can't contact MS support as the centre in my country is closed on weekends.

SeanR1221

I can't really say anything about the bugs you're having, because I've haven't experienced any of them. What hardware do you have?

I'm not sure how to disable passwords entirely. What you can do is disable automatic lock on sleep, and also create a 4-number pin in lieu of a password. Both of these can be found in PC Settings > Users.

Mouse settings are in the Control Panel.

I have the Acer V5 with touch screen.

By mouse I meant track pad. I still cant find it. Why when I type track pad into the control panel search does nothing come up? I just want the two finger scrolling to be reversed.

I figured out the Live thing, its because my time settings were off.

I was then able to update my apps, but it still wont show me the apps being updated/it crashes.

Is the operating seriously this buggy? I mean, I should just be able to see the apps that are installing and their progress.

Top Bottom