• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

remz

Ah thanks. So does that mean I can never do a clean install with this method afterwards?

you can, just make sure you format during set up as opposed to after. You need to make sure it detects a windows install first.

Just wondering if there's any trick to getting the 6 month xbox music trial, I updating but I've only got access to a 1 month trial option

strata8

Just wondering if there's any trick to getting the 6 month xbox music trial, I updating but I've only got access to a 1 month trial option

AFAIK it's free and unlimited for 6 months after Windows 8 release, but there's a 10 hour limit per month after that.

Jzero

For the new page just in case someone else wants to use them.

i1NWIizinJgV7.png
ibiIwl6rRnFZCR.png

iEM5h6K81qV0d.png
iE6oF9kOF8a07.png

derFeef

I think I had to do all that because I formated the drive. Here is a guide to Clean Install Windows 8 with upgrade media.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Follow that and your install will go much smoother than mine.

you can, just make sure you format during set up as opposed to after. You need to make sure it detects a windows install first.

Thanks, makes sense.
Will the iso be available afterwards? I guess it's a weird qeustion but who knows.

Zizbuka

Banned
Sorry if already answered. Is there a way to adjust the column width in Metro? I have a group of news apps, 6 total, and it puts 2 columns of 3. If I could make it 1 column of 6, it would save me scrolling to the right and put all the apps on the screen.

And yes, I made them all 'smaller'.

remz

Sorry if already answered. Is there a way to adjust the column width in Metro? I have a group of news apps, 6 total, and it puts 2 columns of 3. If I could make it 1 column of 6, it would save me scrolling to the right and put all the apps on the screen.

And yes, I made them all 'smaller'.
Just drag it next to the other apps and it should file in

i66faDuRIkXXT.png

Edit, oh you meant heightwise. I guess you cna't, I have columns of six on my monitor, and that's just how high they are.

No, but it was definitely a "feeling" thing. The OS just didn't feel right to me every time anything Metro popped up.

It's too bad, because I actually quite liked the desktop changes (although I missed the transparency of Aero).

Fair enough. No one should feel obligated to use software they don't like.

Overall, one frame per second is not enough for me to upgrade, especially when Sleeping Dogs, Metro 2033, and Borderlands 2 appear to have trouble on Windows 8. Maybe patches will work this out at some point. I'm not really a Windows 8 fan, but I was hoping that some of the performance gain rumors would be true. Sadly, they do not appear to be true.

I've said this enough to feel like I'm beating a dead horse but there's more to the performance than FPS but also remember that this is an OS on very green drivers that's keeping up with a seasoned OS on very optimized drivers. There's also benefits to be gained in future architectures based on the new OS that won't carry back to the older OS. Consider area's of security, efficency and stability and the benefits stack up. The rumors you heard weren't false but you are looking for all the proof in one place and even then, you seem to be unable to see the forest for the tree.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i upgraded to Win8 and now basically no games work. Borderlands 2, Dishonored etc. won't even start up and i ran through all the basic updates.

Any ideas?

Dunlop

Flarg, I cannot get citrix to work off of any browser or with the client (metro or desktop) and I really need to login to work

edit got it to work, but it is very messy

Aesthet1c

Sorry if these have been answered, but I have two quick questions.

First, how are you guys changing your metro tiles to custom tiles?

Also, where are metro apps installed by default? Is it possible to change this location?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
No games at all? they should work like normal.

Very few, I get weird file not found errors and msiexe error.

EDIT: Ok i found the issue and fixed everything. Win8 doesn't like MSI server display for monitoring anything or i just need to update it.

Leckan

To make everything clear; can you burn the ISO on a disc without installing it directly and how does it work if you download an ISO from another computer due to the idiotic 32-bit/64-bit hassle?

PG2G

People app and Music app could really use the alphabetical jump list from Windows Phone. It'd be nice if the People app supported groups also. I hope they continue to update these apps quickly, there is still so much to do.

Tenck

How do I go to my desktop? Metro UI is nice, but I'm trying to find some stuff on my desktop.

Edit: Hahaha, I see it now.

One problem I'm having is that I chose a clean install, but it shows the old storage space my HDD used to have. Looking around the HDD I can't find what's taking up the space. Steam was the culprit for all my used up space, but it's not even installed on my HDD anymore, nor are there any traces. Anyone go through this?

Edit 2: If anyone else is having that issue, you go to your HDD and look at a folder called Windows Old and delete that.

Ashour

I'm having an issue. I restarted my pc after the first boot and installing everything I want and now it's just a black screen with the cruiser flashing. I tried the auto recovery but didn't help. It suggested using recovery and I did. Now it's stuck on Windows logo for the past 15 minutes.

Please help me, installing this thing was a nightmare (took me 4 hours to get it starting) and I'm almost at the brink of insanity :(

Aesthet1c

OblyTile

You really need to add this to the FAQ Jzero.

In a system folder under Program Files. I guess if you could somehow change the Program Files location you'd also change the location of Metro apps.

Thanks!

I really hope the app location isn't that difficult to change. I can't be the only one that installs windows on a separate smaller partition.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
People app and Music app could really use the alphabetical jump list from Windows Phone. It'd be nice if the People app supported groups also. I hope they continue to update these apps quickly, there is still so much to do.
zoom out

Tenck

Going from Vista to Windows 8 is so awesome. It's so silky smooth. Just booting up random stuff and it's instantaneous.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know if you can sync a Windows Phone 7 device on Windows 8 RT. I want podcasts on my phone but I need a computer for that.

Lucifon

To get Xbox Music to work for 'free' do you need a gold Live subscription? I'm currently Silver and can't stream any song in the UK.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
To get Xbox Music to work for 'free' do you need a gold Live subscription? I'm currently Silver and can't stream any song in the UK.

I've got gold and it doesn't work on Xbox for me either, I think it's only streaming for free on Windows 8 PCs for now.

Dunlop

I is there another keystroke method of getting the desktop or start screen without using the Windows key? Trying to add the functionality to buttons on my mouse and unfortunately pressing the windows key during the program button screen will jump me out of the program and bring up the start screen, lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I is there another keystroke method of getting the desktop or start screen without using the Windows key? Trying to add the functionality to buttons on my mouse and unfortunately pressing the windows key during the program button screen will jump me out of the program and bring up the start screen, lol
Crtl+Esc is the same as the windoes key. Also win + d.

Dunlop

thanks that should at least work to let me add the start screen to the mouse, unfortunately ctr+esc+d does not work

My quest to be lazy is turning into a lot of work :p

also, minesweeper is freaking awesome

Subitai

thanks that should at least work to let me add the start screen to the mouse, unfortunately ctr+esc+d does not work

My quest to be lazy is turning into a lot of work :p

also, minesweeper is freaking awesome
I find this entertaining and ironic! lol

Lynn616

Video app needs work. Any way to organize my videos by genre? How about changing media type on a file so that it shows up under the TV section or Movie section instead of the other section.

Lucifon

I've got gold and it doesn't work on Xbox for me either, I think it's only streaming for free on Windows 8 PCs for now.

Its free on 8/RT, have to pay on Xbox/Phone.

Sorry I meant on Windows 8. Or do you have to sign up for the free pass anywhere? I just get an error whenever I try streaming anything, for days so it doesn't appear to be a temporary issue.

bcl0328

one thing i miss is being able to hit the windows key on my keyboard and it brought up the start menu and i could hit one button to shut down my PC. rather annoying how to shut it down now.

skybaby

Updated my notebook to windows 8 pro, ran into 2 problems:

My touchpad had multitouch working after first starting windows, now it does not. Horizontal scrolling without multitouch scroll sucks. Device manager shows no errors :(
IE10 does not start in Metro mode. Is that a resolution limitation? Im running 1366x768, non touch notebook.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
one thing i miss is being able to hit the windows key on my keyboard and it brought up the start menu and i could hit one button to shut down my PC. rather annoying how to shut it down now.

Besides the tutorials mentioned, you could also use a Start Menu restoring program, which would allow you to do that again.

MarkusRJR

Nah, Windows Phone 7 syncing will require Zune. The new clients are Windows Phone 8 only.
*sigh* Well that sucks. Guess I'll need to find a computer to run Zune for me now.

Any recommendations on games in the Windows 8 store? I'll be using the RT Surface if that matters at all. I heard Cut the Rope and Jetpack Joyride are shitty... Are there any other bad ports I should avoid?

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Updated my notebook to windows 8 pro, ran into 2 problems:

My touchpad had multitouch working after first starting windows, now it does not. Horizontal scrolling without multitouch scroll sucks. Device manager shows no errors :(
IE10 does not start in Metro mode. Is that a resolution limitation? Im running 1366x768, non touch notebook.

It's most likely because IE is not your default browser unless it opens in IE desktop if so just go to setting in ie desktop>internet option>programs and change how you open links. That should do it.

Miles X

Any sites on upcoming apps in development?

I upgrade last night, very happy. My mum who computers are foreign too noted how user friendly it looked.

Enco

Pressing the power off button on your computer is infinitely easier.

25 second boot time

5 second shut down

Feels good mang.

Top Bottom