• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Anybody ran into any problems upgrading from Win 7 while keeping all settings/apps ? My PC it went through absolutely fine without a hitch, however for my brother, it pretty much gets to the last hurdle, with the Win 8 boot screen and saying "copying personal settings" or something like that, then it does a light blue screen of death saying there was a problem, it then restarts and reverts back to Win 7 :/

Im guessing its going to need a fresh install, but if there are any tips they would be welcome :)

Kickz

Is anyone else running into Set up issues???

I am running the set up manager but I am stuck at this screen;

untitled.png

SeanR1221

Found something really stupid last night.

My power went out so I thought "lets earn some achievements"

Started up JetPack Joyride and Fruit Ninja only to find if it doesn't sync with Xbox Live, you cant play your current save. REALLY terrible idea Halfbrick. I hope games don't start doing this.

Ammish

Banned
Random Question as I haven't really researched much into Windows 8 because of the forced Metro UI.

I want to invest in a multi-touch monitor to use alongside my normal monitor. Is it possible to have the desktop mode on my normal monitor and the metro mode on my Multi-touch monitor? I've used Metro UI on a touch screen at PC World and I quite enjoyed it.

Miles X

How do you turn off MSN notifications? I'm using MSN outside of the metro UI and a notification keeps popping up for every message.

Random Question as I haven't really researched much into Windows 8 because of the forced Metro UI.

I want to invest in a multi-touch monitor to use alongside my normal monitor. Is it possible to have the desktop mode on my normal monitor and the metro mode on my Multi-touch monitor? I've used Metro UI on a touch screen at PC World and I quite enjoyed it.

I have desktop app running on my Monitor and metro app's running on my macbook pro screen. Yes.

kitch9

Banned

Metro is just the start button on steroids. Once you treat it like that the os makes sense. As with the old start button you can customise it to your requirements.

Has anyone else been using Metro IE10 exclusively? It's really nice not having any UI in your face.

I definitely am. I don't seem myself going back baring some usability disaster. I haven't found myself compromizing at all either. The performance, the rendering, the site support have all been top-notch.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
4 million windows 8 upgrades in the last 3 days according to ballmer just now at build.

Edit: booo

Ammish

Banned
I have desktop app running on my Monitor and metro app's running on my macbook pro screen. Yes.

Metro is just the start button on steroids. Once you treat it like that the os makes sense. As with the old start button you can customise it to your requirements.

Okay. Thanks. In which case, which is the best investment in a multi-touch screen monitor? I found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/179931-iiyama-t2250mts-tft-lcd-22-touchscreen-dvi-monitor-plt2250mts-b

Seems iiyama are the only brand I found that does multitouch screen monitors on ebuyer and cclonline.

surly

Banned
On Friday I upgraded a laptop to Windows 8 and entered my email address into the website to get a code for the Media Center pack, which I received on Saturday.

Yesterday, I finally got round to upgrading my main desktop machine to Windows 8. I entered my email address into the website to get a code for Media Center again and I just received the email. I used the code, but they sent me the exact same code as last time, so now it says that Windows is not activated as the code I'm using is being used on another machine. There's no way to remove the Media Center pack either.

Has anyone got a spare, unused code for the Media Center pack please?

jagowar

Is 4 million good in comparison?

I would say its good but not great.... probably better that it should have done based on all the negativity before launch. Seems in general people like it once they actually use it which is the opposite of what people thought would happen with the transition to metro being as different as it is.

I still want to see what surface sold as part of that....

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why do they still let Balmer talk? I mean this is pretty good for him, but it's still kind of bad.

PG2G

I would say its good but not great.... probably better that it should have done based on all the negativity before launch. Seems in general people like it once they actually use it which is the opposite of what people thought would happen with the transition to metro being as different as it is.

I still want to see what surface sold as part of that....

I think it is actually pretty good. Most people get new Windows versions when they purchase a new PC, I don't know many people that went out and bought a upgrade from Vista to 7. He said 4 million upgrades, which wouldn't include Surface numbers or OEM numbers.

Dunlop

Think 4 million is a good start.

Finally caved and installed start8 (it's surprisingly well done), too much of what I need to do shoots me back into desktop mode making the whole experience disjointed.

Still very impressed with the speed of the OS, loving Xbox music, evil bastards will probably get me to sub

hoping there will eventually be a way to pin the whole start screen on a dual monitor

I think it is actually pretty good. Most people get new Windows versions when they purchase a new PC, I don't know many people that went out and bought a upgrade from Vista to 7. He said 4 million upgrades, which wouldn't include Surface numbers or OEM numbers.

Yes that is number from upgrade and not corporate bulk sales. I can imagine more Windows 8 the end of PC on gaming side with this news.

Truth be told Balmer is giving the best demonstration of Windows 8 I've seen yet.

Very comprehensive so far and is showing off some features I had no idea about.

Top Bottom