• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

clav

I just ran through the 'upgrade assistant' on my win 8 preview copy. Gave me a 'buy now' option at the end for win8 pro 30 euro.

sounds good, however I currently have 2 partitions a win7 and a win8. I want to just blast everything and start fresh/clean with a new win8 partition. Can I do that with the 30euro 2GB digital download?

Yes. You will need a spare USB drive or blank DVD to create a bootable installation.

Anyone have a workaround for getting the Xbox 360 wireless headset to play nice in Windows 8 with the wireless receiver? I can transmit, but incoming audio through the headset is garbled.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Gonna say fuckit, I get it free through Dreamspark/MSDN anyway so I'm gonna pop it on my laptop and give it a whirl later.

Wasn't a fan at all when I tried the Dev Preview but I'm interested to see whether or not I like it on a Laptop as opposed to Desktop.

nan0

Do people still want 360 Controller support for Metro? I quickly fiddled a working prototype together, but it would need some finetuning now.

If anyone wants to try: http://www.mediafire.com/?cgotj9uga71m9mr
(The dll is for SDK I needed to use for Xinput support).

Needs to run in background. Y open/closes the Startscreen, Left Thumbstick navigates, A starts an App. You can close it again by using the trayicon. Currently only works on the Startscreen, not in Apps.

kinggroin

Banned
OK. Not a single one of my app games logs into live anymore. Wtf.

Heck even the live website won't connect.

Anyone else having this issue?

For everyone wanting the 360 controller to work on W8.

I recommend getting one of this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO67I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheaper than a 360 controller and 100x more useful if you are installing Windows 8 in a non-desktop environment.

Not trying to undermine everyone work on the a working patch, it would be cool to see the Xbox 360 controller working for both the metro interface and games, so that the jump is seamless.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Gonna say fuckit, I get it free through Dreamspark/MSDN anyway so I'm gonna pop it on my laptop and give it a whirl later.

Wasn't a fan at all when I tried the Dev Preview but I'm interested to see whether or not I like it on a Laptop as opposed to Desktop.
the dev preview was alpha or pre alpha and was released more than a year ago. not very good representation of the final product.
For everyone wanting the 360 controller to work on W8.

I recommend getting one of this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO67I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheaper than a 360 controller and 100x more useful if you are installing Windows 8 in a non-desktop environment.

Not trying to undermine everyone work on the a working patch, it would be cool to see the Xbox 360 controller working for both the metro interface and games, so that the jump is seamless.
there are plenty of applications on mobile phones that do the same thing as that. I use hipporemote on ios.

Esiquio

I just ran through the 'upgrade assistant' on my win 8 preview copy. Gave me a 'buy now' option at the end for win8 pro 30 euro.

sounds good, however I currently have 2 partitions a win7 and a win8. I want to just blast everything and start fresh/clean with a new win8 partition. Can I do that with the 30euro 2GB digital download?

Yes, I had the same thing. When you download the file it will give you the option of sending it to USB, DVD, or just installing it over the current OS. I did the DVD and rebooted the machine and formatted the HDD in the Windows 8 installation.

Don't forget to do the promo thing to get it for $15.

Zeppu

So I'm making an effort to switch to Metro only as much as possible. First massive glaring thing I'm missing is the constantly visible time. I'm used to having that on every device ever. I don't think I can stand pulling out the charms bar to see the time.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I figured out the one thing that is missing that would make this upgrade perfect.

A smooth transition to the desktop.

The way it happens now is uncomfortable and jarring.

If there was a "flip" transition like the Metro apps but the other side of the flip was your desktop, it would be much cleaner and less annoying.

Ideally all apps would have a "flip" tile that filled the screen and had the tile logo in the center (like Chrome does) and then it would smoothly move you over to your desktop.

I figure this will be an option later as people get there hands into the OS more.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm making an effort to switch to Metro only as much as possible. First massive glaring thing I'm missing is the constantly visible time. I'm used to having that on every device ever. I don't think I can stand pulling out the charms bar to see the time.

that actually bothers me too... first thing that has actually irritated me about win8.

Yes, I had the same thing. When you download the file it will give you the option of sending it to USB, DVD, or just installing it over the current OS. I did the DVD and rebooted the machine and formatted the HDD in the Windows 8 installation.

Don't forget to do the promo thing to get it for $15.

thanks, will give it a go!

promo... 15? how so?
I went to the windowsupgradeoffer.com thing and all I can see for netherlands is this one

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/nl-NL
which means 'buy a windows 7 pc that qualifies and get it for 15 euro'

Is there a trick somewhere?

Is there a way to upgrade the preview version to 8pro? Seems like that would be the easiest way.

seems that there is.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

go there, run the upgrade assistant and then it gives you the option to purchase at the end for cheap. I just ran the checker, it offered me for 30 euro on the preview version. I have not done it yet, but will tomorrow unless I can get a legit copy through my work.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy

You can add "time" tiles, but they are annoying. Best available right now though.

Seems liek teh date/time should be available on your account pic in the top right.

Or the time should be part of the metro calendar app.

Hell just throw it on any of the default tiles as an option.

Zeppu

You can add "time" tiles, but they are annoying. Best available right now though.

Seems liek teh date/time should be available on your account pic in the top right.

Or the time should be part of the metro calendar app.

Hell just throw it on any of the default tiles as an option.

I don't want it on the homescreen only. I can get the time to show by pulling out the charms bar, in that case. I just want it to be visible all the time, irrespective of which screen I am or what app I'm in. Like on every other OS, including the mobile ones.

Lynn616

Is 4 million good in comparison?

Windows 8 demand outpaces Windows 7.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/29/ballmer-windows-8-demand-outpacing-7

"We're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7, which is gratifying," Ballmer said at an event launching new Windows phones.

Windows 7 is the best-selling version of Windows so far, selling more than 670 million licenses in three years since release in 2009.

"Over the weekend we saw an incredible response around the globe to Windows 8 and the Microsoft Surface," said Ballmer.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
^ Settings in the right bar.

they probably paid for it with their tickets anyway.
I didn't pay for my //build ticket or flight, stay or anything. Most people come with their companies. My company flew five developers, me included, and treat them to all of this, meals, bar nights, etc. I am even getting paid for attending, it's custom at this point. The problem was that not all companies were able to register their devs. So yeah, it's really a privilege to attend this conference.

Set up windows 8 on my mum's laptop which is a bit old but should be able to run it at least as well as it was running vista but I've run into the problem where it can't detect her mobile graphics to install drivers and she's getting stuck with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and so she's stuck 1024 x 768 resolution. Anyone know how to fix this or is she just boned?

Exuro

Set up windows 8 on my mum's laptop which is a bit old but should be able to run it at least as well as it was running vista but I've run into the problem where it can't detect her mobile graphics to install drivers and she's getting stuck with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and so she's stuck 1024 x 768 resolution. Anyone know how to fix this or is she just boned?
Do you know what device it is? A windows 7 driver should work for it. Had to do that to get my laptop working right with 8.

f0lken

Check the vista drivers they should work, run it in compatibility mode.

And check this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497663 to put every page and program your mother could use accesible to her and easy to use

Hey guys, right now in the shops in can only find one version of Windows 8, its called Windows 8 Pro at 60 bucks.. Is it the FULL version or the upgrade? I'd like to install it to my mac but i'm not sure if it's an upgrade or the full version?

7a08cd67-9aa9-4070-8a34-dfa710170a19_20.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, right now in the shops in can only find one version of Windows 8, its called Windows 8 Pro at 60 bucks.. Is it the FULL version or the upgrade? I'd like to install it to my mac but i'm not sure if it's an upgrade or the full version?

It's the upgrade version.

http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/6.2/2012-Win8GA/7a08cd67-9aa9-4070-8a34-dfa710170a19_20.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks like the price for an upgrade package.

Edit: Beaten!

Top Bottom