• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Worst app in the store, Flixster...it's broken beyond belief. Nothing works in it.
doesn't look like its in the store anymore.
iUJHPDDtv1kJK.png

Kikarian

Not sure if anyone knows the answer but...

My Windows 8 account is different too my Xbox Live account, so when going into the 'Gaming' app, It obviously doesn't have my Xbox Account/Gamertag.

But How do I add my Xbox Live Account to the app using a different email to the one I login with?
I have tried making a new user account using my Xbox Live Email, it worked but only for that account and not my main account.
Anyone know what I could do?

SPDIF

Trying to decide if I should upgrade my wife's laptop. She is running Vista on 1280x800 resolution. She won't be able to snap I guess, but should see a nice performance increase.

Also I'm sure this has been asked before, but can you pin the desktop IE10 to the start screen. Pretty sure she wouldn't like the Metro IE10.

On the desktop version of IE just go to:

Internet Options -> Programs Tab -> Choose how you open links -> Select 'Always open on the desktop'.

Then when you click the metro tile it'll open on the desktop.

neemmss

Can anyone help me to get my touchpad to work with the multitouch controlls? My hp laptop has a synaptic touchpad and touch finger scrolling does not work with either the windows 7 drivers from the synaptic website or the hp drivers page for my laptop. :/ I just want my two finger scrolling back.

Lynn616

in the consumer or release preview i think editing the stuff in Zune worked decently. I haven't really bothered with the video application since then. I'd rather just use VLC when i have a mouse and keyboard and just go through file picker with the video application to select stuf when i am using touch.

Using the file picker does make it better because I have my videos organizes in folders. Also, the 'Play to' feature works well with my Xbox 360.

One thing I dont like is the letter boxing on the videos that are streamed to my 360 is dark gray not black. Anyway to change that? Weird.

derFeef

One last question before sleepy time. Why do I need to put in my password at the lockscreen even if it's set to no password required? Because of Live?

Guys I need help with Xbox Music.

I have a Laptop with Windows 8 running, all my music albums are on c:\music (which ive checked to be in the music library)

How do I get my Surface RT to see all these albums? I tried to add the files off the network but you can only go song by song... I see my Surface RT populating some songs, but I have no idea where its getting them and they're like 1/2 empty albums.

bob page

Speaking of Homegroup streaming, I just tried streaming a MKV to my PS3 through Windows 8. Worked flawlessly.

This is so exciting.

Edit: Looks like it's only working for one of my MKV's... not sure why it's only working for that one and not the others.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought the Lenovo Yoga, which is supposed to have a 128GB SSHD, but it doesn't have anywhere near that.

What gives???

How much does it have? If it's over 100 in free space, it's within the realm of "normal."

Natiko

Banned
Just heard about the trick to get Windows 8 for $15 but it doesn't seem to work anymore. Major bummer because I want to upgrade but can't justify spending the full price right now.

bob page

No clue, not sure if it's just that specific file that's working for some reason, but I'm about to try another right now.

What do you mean Homegroup streaming?

If you go to PC Settings -> Homegroup, you can enable sharing to media devices. I have video shared, so I right clicked the Videos folder in Documents and added my external HDD as a library location. When I boot up my PS3, it's instantly detected on the video XMB.

Windu

So I bought the Lenovo Yoga, which is supposed to have a 128GB SSHD, but it doesn't have anywhere near that.

What gives???
OS is probably something like 12 gigs, then there is the refresh and reset stuff that has an image on the drive, that is a few gigs, then there are the applications etc..

Animator

Just heard about the trick to get Windows 8 for $15 but it doesn't seem to work anymore. Major bummer because I want to upgrade but can't justify spending the full price right now.

Why doesnt it work? It should work fine. Make sure you pick some dell computer in registration and put like october 12 2012 as the purchase date.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What trick? They had a form that you filled out and it generated a discount code.

Are they now checking people's receipts or something?

SeanR1221

How much does it have? If it's over 100 in free space, it's within the realm of "normal."

33.6 of 63.9 GB free on the C drive and 23.3 of 24.9GB free on the D drive.

So like I said, what is going on here? That's waaaay less than 128GB

I installed some apps from the store, but nothing huge.

Lynn616

If you go to PC Settings -> Homegroup, you can enable sharing to media devices. I have video shared, so I right clicked the Videos folder in Documents and added my external HDD as a library location. When I boot up my PS3, it's instantly detected on the video XMB.

Thanks so much. Dont know how I missed that.

Windu

open up disk management and see what's there

Natiko

Banned
Why doesnt it work? It should work fine. Make sure you pick some dell computer in registration and put like october 12 2012 as the purchase date.

Oh you have to pick a Dell computer? Maybe that's my issue. Gonna give it another shot.

Edit: I tried it again, sure enough it will always ask for a Windows 7 product key and mine is from February instead of June. I guess I'm just SOL.

Seems 'normal' unfortunately, there's a thread about it on the Lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/Ideapad-Yoga-hard-disk-allocation/td-p/902039
After getting my Yoga today I've noticed a rather annoying situation with the default disk allocation.

The partitioning of the 128GB SSD is as follows:

C: 63.91GB
D: 24GB
Recovery 1: 1GB
EFI partition: 260MB
OEM partition: 1GB
Unlisted purpose partition: 8GB
Recovery 2: 20GB

So out of 128GB, after windows is installed you're left with ~43GB of useable space.

SeanR1221

Damn that sucks. I guess eventually ill have to suck it up and get a 128gb SD card? Best buys we page also said the memory can be upgraded but I don't see any easy way to do so.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What trick? They had a form that you filled out and it generated a discount code.

It doesn't always work for everybody. Sometimes when you get to the second page it asks you for your product key. People were able to get around that by using a different browser.

Oh you have to pick a Dell computer? Maybe that's my issue. Gonna give it another shot.

Edit: I tried it again, sure enough it will always ask for a Windows 7 product key and mine is from February instead of June. I guess I'm just SOL.

Try a different browser.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't always work for everybody. Sometimes when you get to the second page it asks you for your product key. People were able to get around that by using a different browser.

Try a different browser.

Hmm... I wonder if those people are using legit copies of Windows 7 or if they are using those "OEM keys."

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I've looked online for the answer to this but haven't come up with anything :( after I used my WMC product key the option "Add Features to Windows" is gone. I can't search for it. Is this supposed to happen?

No clue, not sure if it's just that specific file that's working for some reason, but I'm about to try another right now.

Weird... Through the method you are describing shouldn't work with the Ps3, unless sony added mkv support in a recent update.

Edit: Or i see, it's just one file... Even weirder XD

In brazil, they are not even asking for receipts... Not sure about other regions, but i guess it would be the same...

GuessWho

I think the thing about metro apps are the ones about reading articles. It's like reading newspapers back in the day with the same style scrolling and massive full screen. Love it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried it in three different browsers, no luck. I'm starting to feel like this is just a sign that I'm not meant to have it lol

Is your copy of Windows 7 a legit standalone version? It's not an upgrade from XP or something?

Top Bottom