• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Do you know what device it is? A windows 7 driver should work for it. Had to do that to get my laptop working right with 8.

I'm getting this:

graphicsdeviceqpcrl.png

I'm fairly sure her laptop is a hp pavillion 6244eu. I bought it for her years ago. I'll try messing around with drivers and compatibility mode to sort things out.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Set up windows 8 on my mum's laptop which is a bit old but should be able to run it at least as well as it was running vista but I've run into the problem where it can't detect her mobile graphics to install drivers and she's getting stuck with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and so she's stuck 1024 x 768 resolution. Anyone know how to fix this or is she just boned?
yeah I had a problem with an old ass laptop and windows finding drivers. Just gotta go to the OEMs website. Vista or 7 ones should work.

Lynn616

Any idea on how to change a videos media type so that it show up in the correct section in the Video app? TV shows in TV section etc..

After spending the afternoon with W8, I have to say that the Metro UI and tiles are complete and total garbage. I cannot get the photo app to show all of my pictures, even when it sees the folders they are in. The mail app won't alert me to mail, and is incredibly limited in comparison to outlook/thunderbird. The music player is such a train wreck that it makes iTunes look like the best piece of software ever made. Everything feels incredibly clunky and slow.

Windu

Any idea on how to change a videos media type so that it show up in the correct section in the Video app? TV shows in TV section etc..
in the consumer or release preview i think editing the stuff in Zune worked decently. I haven't really bothered with the video application since then. I'd rather just use VLC when i have a mouse and keyboard and just go through file picker with the video application to select stuf when i am using touch.
After spending the afternoon with W8, I have to say that the Metro UI and tiles are complete and total garbage. I cannot get the photo app to show all of my pictures, even when it sees the folders they are in. The mail app won't alert me to mail, and is incredibly limited in comparison to outlook/thunderbird. The music player is such a train wreck that it makes iTunes look like the best piece of software ever made. Everything feels incredibly clunky and slow.
For mail notifications, go to the mail app, then go to settings (right bar) and then select accounts and then turn on notifications. As for pictures, they need to be in the pictures library (open up file explorer and add wherever your photos are to your pictures library (click on the library and then click manage at the top and then manage library and then add). And if it is clunky and slow....check to see if your drivers are up to date. It shouldn't be slow. Also make sure all of the applications are up to date, there have been a lot of updates since release. (as well as windows update)

f0lken

Did you activate the option to show photos in the live tiles? Is in the settings charm, and update the music app, the new one is pretty good. And I don't know why its slow an cluncky for you but mine is pretty fast.

But the mail app really is bad

MrBig

How do you disable transparency/aero in the RTM version of W8? When I installed the RTM it used the theme I had been using, which was the Basic theme, which also doesn't seem to be a visible option in personalization. This works fine but I like the look of the normal theme a bit better.

Did you activate the option to show photos in the live tiles? Is in the settings charm, and update the music app, the new one is pretty good. And I don't know why its slow an cluncky for you but mine is pretty fast.

But the mail app really is bad

The live tiles work, but going into the actual app only shows 17 photos when I have hundreds within the designated folder.

Windu

How do you disable transparency/aero in the RTM version of W8? When I installed the RTM it used the theme I had been using, which was the Basic theme, which also doesn't seem to be a visible option in personalization. This works fine but I like the look of the normal theme a bit better.
right click the desktop and select personalize. should be in there.

Enco

So metro Skype can't be used in the background?

If I want to chat and browse I have to use the side by side view?

Really stupid if so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So metro Skype can't be used in the background?

If I want to chat and browse I have to use the side by side view?

Really stupid if so.

Wow, really?

Do Metro apps suspend automatically when you go to the desktop unless you have one snapped to the side?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've never gotten iCloud photostream to work on Win 8, nor some remote iOS apps outside of my house network, like uTorrent viewer or AirVideo.

Must be a simple firewall thing? Anyone have any advice on how to fix?

I'm getting this:

I'm fairly sure her laptop is a hp pavillion 6244eu. I bought it for her years ago. I'll try messing around with drivers and compatibility mode to sort things out.
Seems like the 6244eu has the Nvidia go 6150, same as my parent's dv9205ca. I'm using v259.47 drivers on it: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/27280-v25947-windows-7vista-64bit-hpcompaq-oem-inf/

I actually tried the latest v306.97 for 6-series cards first (installed using the modified .inf from laptopvideo2go), but it wasn't stable.

TrounceX

Are you talking about Aero Lite?

I ended up using this guide to get it back. Fairly straightforward.

moowear

Maybe this has been answered but can't seem to find it; I created a short to neogaf on the metro ui w oblytile but can't seem to get it To open ie in metro. It opens instead, in the desktop mode. Any ideas on what shortcut settings I can use so that it'll open in metro?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How?

It always stops the chat.

What happens when you get a message? For me it was running the background even when I closed it by dragging from the top. When I got an IM it would pop up as a notification.

surly

Banned
There's a feature in Windows 8 where if you press the Windows key and the Print Screen key, it will take a screenshot and save a PNG in a Screenshots folder inside your user profile folder. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the directory where these images are automatically placed? It's probably in the registry somewhere, but I can't find it.

When I look under Networks, this is there: -

3Cb3n.jpg

It's my Galaxy S3, but I have no idea why it appears there as "m0xx". In fact, I have no idea why it appears there at all. It didn't in Windows 7.

Jzero

There's a feature in Windows 8 where if you press the Windows key and the Print Screen key, it will take a screenshot and save a PNG in a Screenshots folder inside your user profile folder. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the directory where these images are automatically placed? It's probably in the registry somewhere, but I can't find it.

When I look under Networks, this is there: -

3Cb3n.jpg

It's my Galaxy S3, but I have no idea why it appears there as "m0xx". In fact, I have no idea why it appears there at all. It didn't in Windows 7.
That's the name you gave to your device.

jagowar

Thanks, they need to make this super simple for people and it is far from that. People on RT will have no way to fix their existing video files. Makes the Video app useless to me. Thanks for the reply.

Also from that article it only works with wmv files.... really would like to find something to work with mp4/m4v as well since that is what I use most these days.

Kikarian

Not sure if anyone knows the answer but...

My Windows 8 account is different too my Xbox Live account, so when going into the 'Gaming' app, It obviously doesn't have my Xbox Account/Gamertag.

But How do I add my Xbox Live Account to the app using a different email to the one I login with?
I have tried making a new user account using my Xbox Live Email, it worked but only for that account and not my main account.

Lynn616

Also from that article it only works with wmv files.... really would like to find something to work with mp4/m4v as well since that is what I use most these days.

All my videos are m4v and there is no way to organize them at all. They all just show up under the Other section of "My Videos". Would like to be able to set the media type to movie or TV show or change the genre. It is terrible. No big deal for me because I can just go to the desktop and run iTunes but for people on RT only it will suck.

n64coder

To make everything clear; can you burn the ISO on a disc without installing it directly and how does it work if you download an ISO from another computer due to the idiotic 32-bit/64-bit hassle?

Burning an ISO is independent of bitness. You should have no issues burning a 64-bit image using a 32-bit computer and vice versa.

The only 32-bit/64-bit issue that I encountered was with the Bootable USB stick program from Microsoft. If you're on a 32-bit machine trying to make a 64-bit stick, it doesn't work because the loader is 32-bits. The trick is to copy the 64-bit loader into your Bootable USB stick program. Here's a good page that explains how to do it.

Nothing. I don't get a pop up or anything.

Something's not working right (might be a back-end issue). The new Skype app works on MS's messaging back end, so it should list you as online and you can receive calls and messages even if you haven't opened the app.

bob page

So when I installed Windows 8 Pro, sharing to my PS3 worked out of the box (just by choosing to share my videos directory). My girlfriend actually changed some setting on Windows and now it doesn't detect on my PS3. What settings should I check to ensure everything is configured properly?

I remember there being an option under PC Settings -> Homegroup for sharing to devices for media streaming but I don't see it listed there anymore.

Edit: Looks like Windows Media Center got disabled somehow through Add / Remove features

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to decide if I should upgrade my wife's laptop. She is running Vista on 1280x800 resolution. She won't be able to snap I guess, but should see a nice performance increase.

Also I'm sure this has been asked before, but can you pin the desktop IE10 to the start screen. Pretty sure she wouldn't like the Metro IE10.

Top Bottom