• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

xJavonta

Banned
So can I use an SD card as a HDD?

You can't use it as a HDD but it will be usable for essentially anything. It's gonna be labled as a removable disk instead of hard drive though.

Also, I don't know what it is, but I just can't be super productive in Windows 8. I just "feel" like I'm going slower. I don't want to go back to Windows 7 just yet since I do love a lot of the new additions like snapping and such, but I just can't figure out why I don't feel productive in it.

If I had a laptop, I'd keep Windows 8 on there and Windows 7 for my desktop use to solve all my problems.\

Edit: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go back to Windows 7. I love Windows 8, but I really don't understand why I'm less productive in it. Maybe it's the fullscreen apps and desktop environment being kind of different from one another. I plan on buying one of those new Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13's though, so I'll still be using Windows 8.

Edit 2: I wonder if there is a way to get those Win8 Style notifications in Windows 7...

cbox

Anyone know how much better driver support for older hardware is now? I recall installing 8 on a 4yr old pc didn't really work so well out of the box, would it have improved since the developer previews?

PSGames

For those who are familiar with the app store policy is there anything stopping emulators and torrent programs from appearing in the Windows store like Android? Or will they be blocked like on the ios app store?

SeanR1221

You can't use it as a HDD but it will be usable for essentially anything. It's gonna be labled as a removable disk instead of hard drive though.

Also, I don't know what it is, but I just can't be super productive in Windows 8. I just "feel" like I'm going slower. I don't want to go back to Windows 7 just yet since I do love a lot of the new additions like snapping and such, but I just can't figure out why I don't feel productive in it.

If I had a laptop, I'd keep Windows 8 on there and Windows 7 for my desktop use to solve all my problems.\

Edit: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go back to Windows 7. I love Windows 8, but I really don't understand why I'm less productive in it. Maybe it's the fullscreen apps and desktop environment being kind of different from one another. I plan on buying one of those new Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13's though, so I'll still be using Windows 8.

Edit 2: I wonder if there is a way to get those Win8 Style notifications in Windows 7...

Can I install and run games from it?

thefil

Installed Windows 8 on my desktop.

So far, I am incredibly impressed. I can still run Steam and Chrome in the desktop mode. The built-in Bing and Music apps meet 99% of my other needs (my desktop being primarily a gaming machine). The general interaction techniques are a big step forward. Xbox Music Pass is insanely good for Canada. The aesthetic sensibilities are a huge upgrade.

It is still a hybrid OS, but I don't see it being anything but an upgrade.

One weird nitpick is that Microsoft Accounts can't have passwords longer than 16 characters, but *have* to use special characters. Microsoft Researchers know that giant plaintext passwords are secure, but won't let me use them :(.

Well, this partition bullshit is a deal breaker for me. I have no idea what I'm doing but I want that space on the C drive and I've tried a few partition programs and I'm lost and Lenovo can blow me.

I'm taking this thing back to the store. :(

SeanR1221

Well, this partition bullshit is a deal breaker for me. I have no idea what I'm doing but I want that space on the C drive and I've tried a few partition programs and I'm lost and Lenovo can blow me.

I'm taking this thing back to the store. :(

This lack of HDD space has me annoyed too but I absolutely love the laptop otherwise.

There's gotta be an easy way to get what's ours.

There is so much wasted. I assumed it was bloatware, but that's not even close.

If this thing came with a 256gb drive, I'd be in, but I'll be looking for a similar solution in the future, but in the meantime, I'm just getting my money back.

Anyone know how to get the system settings shortcuts onto the desktop?

I don't think I can simply right click and pin to start like an app
I'm using obly tile, but not sure how to do it with that either

This lack of HDD space has me annoyed too but I absolutely love the laptop otherwise.

There's gotta be an easy way to get what's ours.

I can probably get the 20 gb more on the c drive, but I didn't expect to have only 60 gig or so free.

I think Lenovo is coming up with a 256gb yoga that will arrive mid-November. I may order directly from them at that point. Really disappointed.

SeanR1221

I can probably get the 20 gb more on the c drive, but I didn't expect to have only 60 gig or so free.

I think Lenovo is coming up with a 256gb yoga that will arrive mid-November. I may order directly from them at that point. Really disappointed.

How would I go about doing that? I think between that and a 64GB SD card I'd be happy.

f0lken

How would I go about doing that? I think between that and a 64GB SD card I'd be happy.

Can't you do a full reformat installing Windows 8 from a usb (the yoga doesn't have a disc drive right?)? It still is retarded that you have to even consider solutions

I used partition master, but I don't recommend using it. After getting it right, I've read where the program consistently gets it wrong, causing lost files, corruption and the need for a recovery disk. Normally the only time I do hard partition surgery is with virtual machines.

I got lucky. And I'm still taking this thing back tomorrow. I love the physical form and I actually like Windows 8, but I'm going back to what I'm familiar with.

Weenerz

Banned
Anyone else find themselves trying to close apps on their iPad by swiping down, like in w8? What a useful gesture, even in the desktop version. I wish I had a surface tablet :(

Firehead

Having problems with the sound in apps muting when I hide them. They'll play music in the background just fine, until I bring them to the foreground. Then they'll mute whenever I hide them.

Anyone having this issue?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I decided I didn't give Windows 8 enough a chance, so I put it back on my machine.

Quick question: Is there any way to set default browser for Metro and another for the desktop?

I want to have Chrome as my default Desktop browser, but IE10 as my default for Metro. Any way to do this?

I've made my desktop background the same as the one I'm using on the Start screen. It makes going back and forth a little less jarring.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Anyone know how to get the system settings shortcuts onto the desktop?

I don't think I can simply right click and pin to start like an app
I'm using obly tile, but not sure how to do it with that either
if you want to pin individual control panel items you can go to control panel and change it to small icons and then right click them and most of them have the option to pin to start.
Anyone else find themselves trying to close apps on their iPad by swiping down, like in w8? What a useful gesture, even in the desktop version. I wish I had a surface tablet :(
I don't have an iPad but I have done that with full screen desktop applications more than once.
I decided I didn't give Windows 8 enough a chance, so I put it back on my machine.

Quick question: Is there any way to set default browser for Metro and another for the desktop?

I want to have Chrome as my default Desktop browser, but IE10 as my default for Metro. Any way to do this?
I don't think so.

Natiko

Banned
Is your copy of Windows 7 a legit standalone version? It's not an upgrade from XP or something?

Wait, maybe I was making a really, really dumb mistake... hold on.

Edit: Yep, I'm an idiot everyone. Thanks for all the help people!

New question now: When I install this will it wipe any of my data? Should I backup all of my important files or what?

f0lken

Wait, maybe I was making a really, really dumb mistake... hold on.

Edit: Yep, I'm an idiot everyone. Thanks for all the help people!

New question now: When I install this will it wipe any of my data? Should I backup all of my important files or what?

If you don't format your pc everything will be moved to a folder called windows.old, then you can simply move your stuff from ther to your main folders

Natiko

Banned
If you don't format your pc everything will be moved to a folder called windows.old, then you can simply move your stuff from ther to your main folders

What should I do in regards to my music that is located in the iTunes folder in the C directory? Will all of it be moved over as well?

f0lken

What should I do in regards to my music that is located in the iTunes folder in the C directory? Will all of it be moved over as well?

Yes, to the windows.old/users/you/music folder but just cut and paste it to you new music folder, if its all in the same HDD should be almost instantly

xJavonta

Banned
Decided to stick with Windows 8 for a little while longer to see if it's just some learning curve that I have to overcome (ultimately I decided to do this because I'm lazy and re-installing Windows 7 would require the re-installation of all my applications :p)

Mairu

Posted in the Surface thread but maybe there's people here with WinRT devices that don't post there-

I'm getting an error message when I try to update Microsoft Office on the desktop Windows Update
Screenshot%20%288%29.png
Sometimes it shows Code 5052 as well.

I am also confused as to why desktop windows update still exists on WinRT- These two screens don't match up and I'm not sure how the average user would even know where to go to update MSOffice

edit: tried a few more times and eventually it went through, no clue what fixed it if anyone else runs into the same problem

mike23

Decided to stick with Windows 8 for a little while longer to see if it's just some learning curve that I have to overcome (ultimately I decided to do this because I'm lazy and re-installing Windows 7 would require the re-installation of all my applications :p)

I don't see how you could be less productive in Windows 8. If you just treat it like 7 with a fancy start menu, there's no difference (besides all the better things like file transfers, etc).

xJavonta

Banned
I don't see how you could be less productive in Windows 8. If you just treat it like 7 with a fancy start menu, there's no difference (besides all the better things like file transfers, etc).

I don't either, but it just feels like I'm slower whenever I'm trying to be productive. I think my mind is telling itself that since opening some files opens a fullscreen metro app instead of staying in the normal desktop environment. I don't know, it's weird.

neemmss

Can anyone help me to get my touchpad to work with the multitouch controlls? My hp laptop has a synaptic touchpad and touch finger scrolling does not work with either the windows 7 drivers from the synaptic website or the hp drivers page for my laptop. :/ I just want my two finger scrolling back.

Anyone?

xJavonta

Banned
No idea, I don't have a wireless one and can't test it. But it should work with any XInput controller. Do you see the tray icon?

Yeah I did see it, I haven't tested it with my wired yet but I'll give it a try tomorrow morning to make sure it's not my computer or something.

you can always change that by going to default programs.

Yeah, I just haven't gotten around to completely customizing everything yet. Thanks

surly

Banned
Can I bypass the Live login on bootup/lock if I want to use my Live account?
Yep, if I'm understanding you correctly: -

To disable the password on login, bring up a run box and type in "netplwiz" without quotes, then you can uncheck the box next to where it says users have to enter a password to use the computer.

Once you've done that your PC will just log you in automatically and boot straight to the Metro screen.

nan0

Yeah I did see it, I haven't tested it with my wired yet but I'll give it a try tomorrow morning to make sure it's not my computer or something.

Could you try pressing START or the XBox Button on the controller? Seems that the SDK considers Wireless controllers offline until you press one of these buttons.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I second this, really good program. extremely simple and does the one thing it needs to accurately with a nice tune when it's done. what else do you need really? (also makes isos etc no issues)

Can I bypass the Live login on bootup/lock if I want to use my Live account?
do you really want to do that?!

derFeef

do you really want to do that?!

I have a long password, I am the only person in the house. Sure?

Yep, if I'm understanding you correctly: -

To disable the password on login, bring up a run box and type in "netplwiz" without quotes, then you can uncheck the box next to where it says users have to enter a password to use the computer.

Once you've done that your PC will just log you in automatically and boot straight to the Metro screen.

I set that option in the user settings, if this is the same. But it did not change anything. Maybe I have to make the user offline?

Top Bottom