• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

smiggyRT

Realised I could get this free from Dreamspark, installing on my Netbook right now. Won't have too much time to play around today though but looking forward to it.

Konosuke

I'm on my laptop and I have no power icon, should I reinstall windows 8?

Q9FPM.jpg

SeanR1221

Besides the lack of HDD space, the Yoga really is sexy as hell. I like it more than my MacBook Air. And it has infinitely better build quality than the Acer I was trying out.

I'll take my chances and wait and see if a 64 or 128GB SD card is on sale this Black Friday.

I stream all my music, and would primarily download Windows RT games anyway.

Echoplx

So the Windows 8 web setup is slow as hell, is there anywhere I can download a legit copy of windows 8 x64 outside of it? Torrent or direct download is fine.

Phinor

This is starting to annoy me. SmartGlass is still nowhere to be found in the Store and all the links pointing me towards installing SmartGlass just re-direct me to Store front page. Microsoft even sent a press release stating that it's available now, great. Is there any way to manually install an app that doesn't exist in the Store?

surly

Banned
I set that option in the user settings, if this is the same. But it did not change anything. Maybe I have to make the user offline?
And you're trying to set it up so that you don't have to enter your password when the PC first boots yeah? Or are you trying to do something else?

BTW, if you use a PIN, your password still remains intact. If you lock your PC, when you unlock it you have the choice of using the PIN or password. Also, if you buy things from the Windows Store, you have to enter in your password, not the PIN.

venne

This is starting to annoy me. SmartGlass is still nowhere to be found in the Store and all the links pointing me towards installing SmartGlass just re-direct me to Store front page. Microsoft even sent a press release stating that it's available now, great. Is there any way to manually install an app that doesn't exist in the Store?

Smartglass automatically installed for me when I had my computer on and turned on the 360.

They were on the same network.

so... any essential apps yet? or anything I should be downloading?

Well I dont know other but you can get that Windows media center for free currently, if you ever think you might have need for it. After january it will cost 10 dollars/euros.

I have now skype installed and messenger contacts are there, but not my facebook contacts I can add them to it right? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/messaging-faq Or do I need to download messenger? Also I have no messagin app in start thingy. :/ ( I feel like fucking noob, but maybe I get things to look cool soon enough. :p )

Dunlop

So the Windows 8 web setup is slow as hell, is there anywhere I can download a legit copy of windows 8 x64 outside of it? Torrent or direct download is fine.

I've downloaded it twice now from Microsoft (original install and then to make an ISO), both time was about 10 minutes on a 20/2 mbps connection.

I was never asked to enter my product key after the installer app, so you might need to use the upgrade wizard

Echoplx

I've downloaded it twice now from Microsoft (original install and then to make an ISO), both time was about 10 minutes on a 20/2 mbps connection.

I was never asked to enter my product key after the installer app, so you might need to use the upgrade wizard

Should have updated, my installer was stuck at 45% download for no reason so just restarted it and it worked fine. Posting this from Windows 8 now!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just creating my bootable USB now.

Trying out Office 2013 atm too on a similar note, only tried Powerpoint so far but I have to say I'm really impressed.

Phinor

Smartglass automatically installed for me when I had my computer on and turned on the 360.

They were on the same network.

That's what people keep telling me. Or to find it through the Store. Neither option works in my case. I've played 10+ hours of Forza Horizon after installing Windows 8. My X360 and PC are definitely in the same network etc.

Windows 8 is getting the Windows Phone treatment from Facebook:

Facebook manager of corporate communications Meredith Chin told VentureBeat (emphasis ours):
We only build the iOS and Android FB apps. You should check in with Microsoft on anything related to Windows 8.​
http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/30/f...-directs-us-to-microsoft/#STKfXFfsQlpv7EOI.99

Microsoft directs them back to "the developer", but doesn't say who it is.

Looks like this is the same situation as with Windows Phone, which will probably result in the same sub-par experience. http://touch.facebook.com will be your friend.

venne

That's what people keep telling me. Or to find it through the Store. Neither option works in my case. I've played 10+ hours of Forza Horizon after installing Windows 8. My X360 and PC are definitely in the same network etc.

Does your PC see the 360 under the devices charm?

kinggroin

Banned
I will pay anyone $10 dollars if they can help me fix this incredibly frustrating issue:

Not a single live enabled game in the appstore (jet pack, fruit ninja etc) can connect to live. They attempt to at launch but either lock up after saying "disconnected from live" or close themselves out.

Everything was working until I tried fruit ninja. First time it attempted to connect, it froze. I closed it and reopened it and same thing. After that, all my appstore live games did it as well.

Things to note:

I deleted my user account in windows and recreated it. Same thing.

I went to my MS Live account and allowed those apps access to my live services. Same thing.

All my other live services and games work perfectly (Dark Souls - Games for Windows Live, Xbox Music, the metro Games app - connects to live fine and even shows my avatar and friends with activity).

I created a brand new Xbox live account with new e-mail address. Same thing.

I reformatted my PC and retried both my old and new accounts again. Same thing.

If I can't get this issue resolved, I'm going to have to go back to 7 as seeing new live enabled game releases that I can't play, would just be perpetual salt on the wound.

Thanks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Realised I could get this free from Dreamspark, installing on my Netbook right now. Won't have too much time to play around today though but looking forward to it.
min 1366x768 to snap metro apps. min 1024x768 to run Metro apps.

JaggedSac

I will pay anyone $10 dollars if they can help me fix this incredibly frustrating issue:

Not a single live enabled game in the appstore (jet pack, fruit ninja etc) can connect to live. They attempt to at launch but either lock up after saying "disconnected from live" or close themselves out.

Everything was working until I tried fruit ninja. First time it attempted to connect, it froze. I closed it and reopened it and same thing. After that, all my appstore live games did it as well.

Things to note:

I deleted my user account in windows and recreated it. Same thing.

I went to my MS Live account and allowed those apps access to my live services. Same thing.

All my other live services and games work perfectly (Dark Souls - Games for Windows Live, Xbox Music, the metro Games app - connects to live fine and even shows my avatar and friends with activity).

I created a brand new Xbox live account with new e-mail address. Same thing.

I reformatted my PC and retried both my old and new accounts again. Same thing.

If I can't get this issue resolved, I'm going to have to go back to 7 as seeing new live enabled game releases that I can't play, would just be perpetual salt on the wound.

Thanks.

Is your GFWL logged into Live while you are trying all this? Could it be that it doesn't like you logged in from two places? I know it boots the 360 gamertag when I log into GFWL on my desktop.

Azih

I'm guessing there's no way to change where Metro apps get installed? I'd really like to keep my SSD as clear as possible of anything except the OS.

kinggroin

Banned
Is your GFWL logged into Live while you are trying all this? Could it be that it doesn't like you logged in from two places? I know it boots the 360 gamertag when I log into GFWL on my desktop.

Nope. I even tried this on a fresh install with no games other than jetpack joyride from the appstore.

Edit: I'm willing to give my live information to a GAFer to try out on their install. See if maybe its an account issue. I'm desperate here.

Guys I need help with Xbox Music.

I have a Laptop with Windows 8 running, all my music albums are on c:\music (which ive checked to be in the music library)

How do I get my Surface RT to see all these albums? I tried to add the files off the network but you can only go song by song... I see my Surface RT populating some songs, but I have no idea where its getting them and they're like 1/2 empty albums.

Ok I found out why the Surface had some of my albums, it's XBOX MUSIC cloud match that was giving me 45 out of my 200+ albums.

Now my questions is, how do I get my Surface to see my music collection stored on my Windows 8 laptop? Kinda like iTunes home sharing.

Totakeke

Ok I found out why the Surface had some of my albums, it's XBOX MUSIC cloud match that was giving me 45 out of my 200+ albums.

Now my questions is, how do I get my Surface to see my music collection stored on my Windows 8 laptop? Kinda like iTunes home sharing.

Add the network folder to your music library folder, maybe homegroup as well, not sure if the latter works.

Nope. I even tried this on a fresh install with no games other than jetpack joyride from the appstore.

Edit: I'm willing to give my live information to a GAFer to try out on their install. See if maybe its an account issue. I'm desperate here.

I know this sounds weird, but have you checked if the system time and date is correct?

I know this sounds weird, but have you checked if the system time and date is correct?
Another weird one, but check your location and language/keyboard settings. I recall having the exact same issue, except on the evaluation version. It suddenly was able to connect after I tinkered with the settings I specified.

Of note, I wasn't receiving the "Your system location doesn't match your account location" error. I just did it on a whim.

xJavonta

Banned
Could you try pressing START or the XBox Button on the controller? Seems that the SDK considers Wireless controllers offline until you press one of these buttons.
I'm pretty sure I pressed all the buttons on it but I'll try again when I get home. Thanks

Just creating my bootable USB now.

Trying out Office 2013 atm too on a similar note, only tried Powerpoint so far but I have to say I'm really impressed.
Yeah Office 13 is really nice. I love the SkyDrive integration

Try using File Explorer in the desktop.

You mean on my surface, add \\laptop\music to my surface \music\ library? And afterwards point my surface XBOX MUSIC app to my Surface \music\ dir?
All the media apps read your libraries....

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-overcoming-library-limitations-144057

This is how you can add network locations to those libraries so the content can be in the metro apps...

Thanks for the link, I'm all over it.

edit: Thanks to the both of you, worked like a charm using libraries. My surface RT tablet is now populating all my albums in XBOX MUSIC app.

MedIC86

Does anyone know how to make a reboot and shutdown tile (shortcut) ? because i created 2 with oblytiles but they only set me back to my desktop, they dont actually make the pc reboot or shut down...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Well, it's on my laptop.

Not actually as bad as I remember, gonna give it a bit of time and see if I get accustomed to it.

CryptiK

Ok Im thinking of updating to Windows 8 as I will need it for work.

However will it affect my games? As in will some be unsupported and will all future releases work? Or will they all work because this is pretty much Win 7 with a new start page.

Dunlop

However will it affect my games? As in will some be unsupported and will all future releases work? Or will they all work because this is pretty much Win 7 with a new start page.

I did not find a single app that stopped working after the update.

The more I use Start8 (i do not have anything to do with this app) the more I question why the f@ck didn't Microsoft implement windows 8 like this. It is literally the best of both world, you can easily get to the start screen but while you are in desktop it is the same familiar use.

With it installed and dual screens, I'm loving Windows 8

Most of your games should work fine because windows 8 is very similar to 7.

I'd check to make sure that people aren't reporting problems with a game on windows 8 before upgrading, though. Some types of DRM might not work properly on windows 8, but I haven't encountered any games that flat-out don't work.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I haven't experienced any issues.

MCD

OMG

Windows 8 is sooooo much better than Xbox/Windows Phone when it comes to handling Credit Cards.

With WP7, I had to jump through VPN and a lot of luck and fuck just to get my Visa accepted in the US Store.

But in Windows 8, MS accepted my Prepaid Visa without any error whatsoever and just now they took my money.

So I can finally buy away without begging Joe Belfiore for MS Points in every update.

YAY

Top Bottom