• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Why is my facebook.com chat always online ever since installing Windows 8? On my peoples hub (both on my laptop windows 8 & surface) I have set it to invisible. Any takers?

Weenerz

Banned
I have to admit, the entire build up to release for Windows 8, I was constantly shitting on it. But having used it for almost a week, I am really enjoying it.

So in 7, I could hit the Start button and in the search field type "Disk Cleanup" and I'd get the cleanup utility.

The search function on the charm menu doesn't pull up the cleaning utility.

I have to find Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Cleanup.

What am I missing here GAF? Is there a better search tool that can help me find desktop software/utility better?

Echoplx

It's there, just go to the start menu and start typing 'disk cleanup' then switch to the 'settings' sub search option on the right and it will be listed as 'Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files'

Quick

Banned
So in 7, I could hit the Start button and in the search field type "Disk Cleanup" and I'd get the cleanup utility.

What am I missing here GAF? Is there a better search tool that can help me find desktop software/utility better?

Change the search type from "Apps" to "Settings."

EDIT: Beaten!

Leckan

I mean this:

Change the search type from "Apps" to "Settings."

This was not the case before or he wouldn't even have asked the question no?

Quick

Banned
It organizes the search better by splitting things up by type. "Apps" to search for Apps, "Settings" to search for settings changes (which is what Disk Cleanup would be), and "Files" for files.

In addition to that, you're able to search within different apps, as well. It's as easy as either clicking or using the down arrow to pick the category to choose from.

It's a lot better, since it filters out other results. "Disk Cleanup" is pretty specific, but it's easy to switch it to search for settings specifically.

Leckan

No, I understand all that. I just think it would be nice if there was an option to toggle it for those that prefer it. You don't even have to think just press the windows key and type. Isn't having options in regards to an operative system supposed to be a good thing?

But regardless it's not a huge deal and you'll probably get used to it in a while anyway.

Quick

Banned
No, I understand all that. I just think it would be nice if there was an option for those that prefers it.

Isn't having options in regards to an operative system supposed to be a good thing? But regardless it's not a huge deal and you'll probably get used to it in a while anyway.

There is. Windows Search when you open Computer.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I can't seem to get my iTunes to recognize my iPhone and iPod. I've already tried the start/stop Apple Mobile Device trick too.

Any suggestions (Windows 8 Pro)?

Quick

Banned
That doesn't work with just pressing the win key though right?

That's where the Charms search comes into. Press the Win key, type your search query.

For the record, I'm not trying to argue. Apologies if I'm coming off as antagonistic.

Leckan

But as I said it shouldn't take too long to get used to it I guess.

Edit: No, no it's fine. I just never understood why they removed the option, is all.

Natiko

Banned
Hey everyone, I need major help.

I installed Windows 8 last night and things seemed fine at first but then the screen went black. I could still hear sound from it but there was no picture. When booting up it displays the windows boot up screen then goes to black. I can get into it in safe mode but I have no idea how to fix it. I tried downloading the latest AMD Catalyst Software package but when I try to install it I get an error that says "Failed to load detection driver".

I have no idea what to do, if anyone knows what went wrong and what I could do to fix it that'd be greatly appreciated :(

Biggzy

I can't believe I didn't realise that you can dock a 'metro' app as well as two desktop apps in the desktop - feels good.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Hey everyone, I need major help.

I installed Windows 8 last night and things seemed fine at first but then the screen went black. I could still hear sound from it but there was no picture. When booting up it displays the windows boot up screen then goes to black. I can get into it in safe mode but I have no idea how to fix it. I tried downloading the latest AMD Catalyst Software package but when I try to install it I get an error that says "Failed to load detection driver".

I have no idea what to do, if anyone knows what went wrong and what I could do to fix it that'd be greatly appreciated :(

Have you tried removing your current drivers in safe mode and then rebooting to see if it solves the problem? If it does, then just install the latest drivers.

Natiko

Banned
Have you tried removing your current drivers in safe mode and then rebooting to see if it solves the problem? If it does, then just install the latest drivers.

After some google searches what ultimately worked was disabling my Intel HD integrated graphics card and just leaving my regular graphics card going. Not sure why, but it booted up fine after that. I've updated everything I can at this point but the ATI Catalyst Control Center issue still hasn't been resolved. I don't think I'll re-enable the integrated graphics card until I know for sure it won't cause my computer to freak out again.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
my friends new laptop has weird black bars and blurry text. i assume it's a driver issue with nvidia. any fix or is it the driver? he used the auto updater on the site.

this is his laptop.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer...re_i5_Laptop_-_Black_NX.RZJEK.008/version.asp

It sounds similar to how my screen appears when I plug it into my TV, which has a different aspect ratio from my laptop screen. Is he sure that he's using the optimal display resolution for the laptop screen?

Jzero

Nope
Still not right.
KuGsj.gif

Mairu

Anyone know if it is possible to change the default screenshot quality settings on WinRT? They're really low quality JPEGs, it'd be nice if I could up the quality a bit.

Okay, the netflix app is fantastic. As is having tablet apps on a machine with loads of ram...

Early in the morning i was watching a movie on netflix. After a whole day of work (including using Visual Studio and Running a Virtual Machine), and heavy app usage, i finally gave a break and went back to the movie...

Not only the app switched instantly, as i pressed the space bar the video started playing immediately, with any buffering neither a lick of a drop in the video quality... Not even on the desktop that can be reproduced, because if you leave the tab opened for a while it will ask to refresh.

Seriously awesome.

Blablurn

anyone else having problems with random restarts from time to time. every time i turn on my pc it restarts again after going to the desktop. afterwards it works just fine.

I can say that my desktop running windows 8 most definitely does not do that.

I haven't seen that behavior on my notebook, either.

Does your pc pop up the "Your PC encountered a problem" dialog after it boots back into windows?

If not, then I'm not sure what would be going on based on what you described.

Have you checked your application and system eventlogs? You may see something that says "the previous system shutdown was unexpected" or something like that in there..

sca2511

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TS11HR, but it does use Acer software.
I've had a similar problem with my Acer 3830tg. The way I temporarily fixed the issue was to go to device manager and right click on your PC, then 'Scan for hardware changes'. It then appeared in my Device Manager under "AC" or something like that. A permanent fix came out recently for it and the fix was to flash an updated BIOS.

Blablurn

I can say that my desktop running windows 8 most definitely does not do that.

I haven't seen that behavior on my notebook, either.

Does your pc pop up the "Your PC encountered a problem" dialog after it boots back into windows?

If not, then I'm not sure what would be going on based on what you described.

Have you checked your application and system eventlogs? You may see something that says "the previous system shutdown was unexpected" or something like that in there..

yeah, it says it encountered a problem. i will make a screenshot next time. i even send the problem to microsoft when it asked me to do it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I can't seem to get my iTunes to recognize my iPhone and iPod. I've already tried the start/stop Apple Mobile Device trick too.

Any suggestions (Windows 8 Pro)?

Well, I tried reinstalling iTunes which caused Win 8 to not recognize my BD drive, which caused me to have to go into RegEdit to fix the problem. Now when I open iTunes it says that the software needed to burn or import CDs is missing.

What. the. fuck.

All because iTunes won't recognize my iPhone, iPad or iPod. Bizarre.

Okay, the netflix app is fantastic. As is having tablet apps on a machine with loads of ram...

Early in the morning i was watching a movie on netflix. After a whole day of work (including using Visual Studio and Running a Virtual Machine), and heavy app usage, i finally gave a break and went back to the movie...

Not only the app switched instantly, as i pressed the space bar the video started playing immediately, with any buffering neither a lick of a drop in the video quality... Not even on the desktop that can be reproduced, because if you leave the tab opened for a while it will ask to refresh.

Seriously awesome.

Yeah the Netflix app is great.

Top Bottom