• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
installed the real version today after running preview. Pleasantly surprised that everything runs better. My motherboard doesn't have a weird sound issue either.

Nice and snappy, had a play around with some things and really liking it.

found something really really irritating with chrome though, it seems to default to a metro version all the time, which means my lastpass won't load. I have a shortcut on the desktop but if I ever launch it from metro, I get the metro one. Would like to make that the desktop version always until lastpass makes a plugin for the metro one. Anyone know how?

Echoplx

installed the real version today after running preview. Pleasantly surprised that everything runs better. My motherboard doesn't have a weird sound issue either.

found something really really irritating with chrome though, it seems to default to a metro version all the time, which means my lastpass won't load. I have a shortcut on the desktop but if I ever launch it from metro, I get the metro one. Would like to make that the desktop version always until lastpass makes a plugin for the metro one. Anyone know how?

If you use OblyTile to create a Chrome tile in the start menu it will launch the desktop version.

The new version of chrome has a toggle, if you leave at the desktop version it will always open to desktop, if you switch to metro it will take your session there, and every time you open it it's going to be the metro version.

You see this option by clicking on the 3 bars button and chosing: Relaunch Chrome in XXXX Mode.

Another thing: I had an incompatibility with lastpass on Win8. Last pass itself worked fine, but i couldn't install or update anything from the store.. Not sure it's happens with everyone, but if you face that problem, it could be lastpass causing it.

Im having a big issue. When I turn off the computer and go to turn it on again, it takes a LONG time to boot up, and sometimes I have to turn it off and turn it on again for it to work correctly. I tried going into the Advanced Boot options and checked the Maximum Memory Allowed to start up to 6144MB (6GB), I clicked ok and when I go back to double check it only lets me use 2GB for the startup. I did try to Refresh my PC but I got a message telling me that some files were missing and that I had to use my installation media to refresh (and of course, I didn't burn my ISO when I downloaded it). I really, REALLY don't want to reinstall W8 and lose all my files :(

Well I've gotten over the whole lack of start menu now that I've grown to accept the new Start menu as one giant...Windows 7 menu.

While I no longer see many big problems with the OS, I also don't see much of a reason to upgrade other machines. I've played around with about 20 Metro apps and they're all more or less worthless.

Why do I need a Wikipedia app over just going to the website in the browser? Why do I need an engadget app? I tried epicurious and allrecipes as well and the search features for those are poorly implemented as is the use of screen real estate.

Xbox Music might be nice on the Xbox, but I don't see a reason to use it when there are alternatives in the browser yet again.

Basically anything that can be accessed via a broswer of one's choosing seems to outperform the equivalent Metro App.

I do like the Kindle app. That's definitely a +1 and feels better than the kindle desktop program for Win 7. Maybe the ecosystem just isn't there yet. The other tweaks and improvements to the Windows 7 related side of things are nice though. Task Manager, File Transfers, small resource footprint.

Speaking of that resource footprint though...why do metro apps not close when you exit them...it seems like such a waste of RAM to keep like 15 apps running in the background. Is there a way to disable that?

PG2G

Im having a big issue. When I turn off the computer and go to turn it on again, it takes a LONG time to boot up, and sometimes I have to turn it off and turn it on again for it to work correctly. I tried going into the Advanced Boot options and checked the Maximum Memory Allowed to start up to 6144MB (6GB), I clicked ok and when I go back to double check it only lets me use 2GB for the startup. I did try to Refresh my PC but I got a message telling me that some files were missing and that I had to use my installation media to refresh (and of course, I didn't burn my ISO when I downloaded it). I really, REALLY don't want to reinstall W8 and lose all my files :(

If you did the upgrade you can download the ISO again. Check your confirmation email, there should be a link to a setup program.

PG2G

Speaking of that resource footprint though...why do metro apps not close when you exit them...it seems like such a waste of RAM to keep like 15 apps running in the background. Is there a way to disable that?

Because you aren't closing them, you are suspending them (there are ways to close them though). They stay in memory so they can be quickly resumed. The OS should kill them and free up the resources when necessary.

Because you aren't closing them, you are suspending them (there are ways to close them though). They stay in memory so they can be quickly resumed. The OS should kill them and free up the resources when necessary.

Ok, so I just started the "Photos" app and I'm on the main screen. How do I "close" it? There doesn't seem to be a way to do so aside from doing Windows Key + Tab and then right clicking on it to close it.

Animator

Ok, so I just started the "Photos" app and I'm on the main screen. How do I "close" it? There doesn't seem to be a way to do so aside from doing Windows Key + Tab and then right clicking on it to close it.

Grab the top with the mouse and drag towards the bottom of the screen.

Kalnos

Banned
So, when I log into my account I have to manually start explorer.exe or I can't see anything. Then when I run any metro app I get: "'X' can't open while file explorer is running with administrator privileges. Restart File Explorer normally and try again."

Any ideas?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows Key = Home Button. And you don't need to close metro application, they suspend after a short time.

ksdixon

Is anyone having problems with the messaging app dropping FB Chat replies? It just seems to stop receiving them, and Windows Live Messenger would do this also when you tried talking to FB contacts through it too.

I'd really like to be able to uninstall WLM all together and not keep a FB tab open in FireFox, and keep the Messaging app metro-snapped to the side, but I don't feel comfortable that I'm getting all my messages.

Well I've gotten over the whole lack of start menu now that I've grown to accept the new Start menu as one giant...Windows 7 menu.

While I no longer see many big problems with the OS, I also don't see much of a reason to upgrade other machines. I've played around with about 20 Metro apps and they're all more or less worthless.

Why do I need a Wikipedia app over just going to the website in the browser? Why do I need an engadget app? I tried epicurious and allrecipes as well and the search features for those are poorly implemented as is the use of screen real estate.

Xbox Music might be nice on the Xbox, but I don't see a reason to use it when there are alternatives in the browser yet again.

Basically anything that can be accessed via a broswer of one's choosing seems to outperform the equivalent Metro App.

I do like the Kindle app. That's definitely a +1 and feels better than the kindle desktop program for Win 7. Maybe the ecosystem just isn't there yet. The other tweaks and improvements to the Windows 7 related side of things are nice though. Task Manager, File Transfers, small resource footprint.

Just drag the cursor to the top till you get a hand and drag the window to the bottom of the screen to close it...done

strata8

I don't understand why the store layout is so bad. It doesn't even scale to any resolution past 1366x768 (look at the image in the OP) and the country-specific curation is bullshit (eg, US store has a bunch of lists for news apps, etc, Australian store has, well, nothing). It's almost impossible to find decent and popular apps.

Things people need to understand about modern Operating Systems: The real waste of RAM is not using it. If an application starts faster because it’s still in RAM, that's a good thing! If an OS has the ability to remove things from RAM when it needs more RAM, that’s a good thing as well. Now when an OS can do both of these then it’s even better. Seeing your RAM empty and yourself waiting shouldn't be giving you piece of mind. Also RAM isn't a mechanical part of a computer that wears out the more you use it. There is no real down side to the way Windows 8 handles apps.

MrBig

I don't understand why the store layout is so bad. It doesn't even scale to any resolution past 1366x768 (look at the image in the OP) and the country-specific curation is bullshit (eg, US store has a bunch of lists for news apps, etc, Australian store has, well, nothing). It's almost impossible to find decent and popular apps.

Yeah, the store looks absolutely terrible at 2560x1440, as do most of the apps I tried. All the images are super blurry and there's tons of wasted space.

There really needs to be a way to search by author, and the UI needs to take better advantage of vertical space.

popeutlal

So this setting does not exist in Win 8, how can I change system fonts?

sshot201009186.png

Zzoram

How is Windows 8 on laptops? My friend is looking at an Acer Aspire S3 with 3rd gen i3 500gb with 20gb SSD cache that comes with Windows 8 x64 installed.

Mairu

How is Windows 8 on laptops? My friend is looking at an Acer Aspire S3 with 3rd gen i3 500gb with 20gb SSD cache that comes with Windows 8 x64 installed.

After my limited experience with the Surface it seems foolish to buy an ultrabook/tablet/convertible/w.e with Windows 8 that doesn't have a touch screen- Metro's just built for it

strata8

After my limited experience with the Surface it seems foolish to buy an ultrabook/tablet/convertible/w.e with Windows 8 that doesn't have a touch screen- Metro's just built for it

Foolish? It's perfectly fine if you use touchpad gestures, and every app has mouse support.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i got the $15 upgrade last week, today my HDD crashed. is it possible for me to re download it without paying again?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
What are the two "Start Menu" apps? I know Start8 is one...but I thought there was another one (or is there more now?)

Zzoram

Touch screen laptops cost more don't they? Are there some Windows 8 laptop models with touch screens that are 13" or less, under 3.5 lbs. and under $800?

Lebron

I just bought the Asus q200E with touchscreen built in and it runs like butter. The system is pretty similar to the Aspire without the SSD spec wise.

It was $550 and is 11.6" and around 2 lbs. for what it's worth. Basically looks like a MacBook Air.

Zzoram

I just bought the Asus q200E with touchscreen built in and it runs like butter. The system is pretty similar to the Aspire without the SSD spec wise.

It was $550 and is 11.6" and around 2 lbs. for what it's worth. Basically looks like a MacBook Air.

Hmm sounds like a good alternative. Is it an ultrabook? Do they sell those in Canada? Futureshop and Best Buy isn't carrying it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
iTunes 10.7 is a nightmare with my install of Win 8 Pro. I can't sync any devices. :(

That's odd. I'm having no such problems with mine. Even wireless sync is working (which it didn't for me on the release preview)

Zzoram

The Q200E seems to be 2nd gen i3 not 3rd gen.

Chiggs

Gold Member
That's odd. I'm having no such problems with mine. Even wireless sync is working (which it didn't for me on the release preview)

Devices won't even show in iTunes. Saw some threads on other forums about it, but no real solution for those with the issue.

Lebron

Hmm sounds like a good alternative. Is it an ultrabook? Do they sell those in Canada? Futureshop and Best Buy isn't carrying it.
I don't know, I would expect they should have it at BB, I bought it from a Best Buy here in the states.

edit:
The Q200E seems to be 2nd gen i3 not 3rd gen.
Oh, my mistake on that one. Still, it runs pretty smooth regardless. Though I think that has more to do with W8 than the device.

dLMN8R

Things people need to understand about modern Operating Systems: The real waste of RAM is not using it. If an application starts faster because it’s still in RAM, that's a good thing! If an OS has the ability to remove things from RAM when it needs more RAM, that’s a good thing as well. Now when an OS can do both of these then it’s even better. Seeing your RAM empty and yourself waiting shouldn't be giving you piece of mind. Also RAM isn't a mechanical part of a computer that wears out the more you use it. There is no real down side to the way Windows 8 handles apps.

Yep. Free RAM is wasted RAM. The OS instantly dumps suspended things from memory if RAM is needed for something else.

Zzoram

I don't know, I would expect they should have it at BB, I bought it from a Best Buy here in the states.

edit:

Oh, my mistake on that one. Still, it runs pretty smooth regardless. Though I think that has more to do with W8 than the device.

The US often gets products Canada does not.

No Canadian retailer online seems to carry the Q200E either.

sca2511

Have had an issue on my Desktop with putting my computer to sleep and it not being able to wake up. The computer turns on and I hear the fans, but the monitor remains on standby/black. Anybody else have this issue?

I'm thinking it could be a bios issue.

Windu

if you are looking for the best ultrabook with a touchscreen then you need to look at the acer aspire s7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe_srDOCOG0&feature=player_embedded Expensive. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content...age&utm_medium=ShowCase&utm_campaign=aspireS7

can't wait till intel detachables are that thin.

just looking at newegg though (searched for "touch screen laptop") I see the cheapest one at $750. 15.6", core i5, 5.3 lbs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

surly

Banned
I am loving Windows 8, but there is one thing that I can't decide on - how to organise shortcuts to the apps/software I have installed.

In Windows 7, I had 8 folders for different categories of apps in the Start menu and then I had shortcuts to my every day apps on the taskbar. I'm not sure how to approach it in Windows 8 though. What have you guys done? I really don't want to install a Start menu replacement.

I also have a question related to this topic - If you right-click on a blank area of the Metro screen, you can click "All apps" at the bottom-right and get a list of all the software installed on your PC, but there's 2 problems with this list: -

1. It doesn't list everything. If you download a program that requires no install, for example, it won't be on the list.

2. It lists a lot of junk. For example, I have a DJ program called Traktor Scratch Pro installed and in the "All apps" list are 18 entries for it, including 2 readme.txt files, various PDF help files and so on.

Is there any way to clean that list up? Can I add things to that list?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I gave Windows 8 another chance. There are still a few annoying issues, and I'm not sold on Metro yet, but there are so many small improvements to the desktop and infrastructure that it makes me glad I installed it.

Windu

I am loving Windows 8, but there is one thing that I can't decide on - how to organise shortcuts to the apps/software I have installed.

In Windows 7, I had 8 folders for different categories of apps in the Start menu and then I had shortcuts to my every day apps on the taskbar. I'm not sure how to approach it in Windows 8 though. What have you guys done? I really don't want to install a Start menu replacement.

I also have a question related to this topic - If you right-click on a blank area of the Metro screen, you can click "All apps" at the bottom-right and get a list of all the software installed on your PC, but there's 2 problems with this list: -

1. It doesn't list everything. If you download a program that requires no install, for example, it won't be on the list.

2. It lists a lot of junk. For example, I have a DJ program called Traktor Scratch Pro installed and in the "All apps" list are 18 entries for it, including 2 readme.txt files, various PDF help files and so on.

Is there any way to clean that list up? Can I add things to that list?
Pin the things that you use on the start screen, put them in different groups and add a label (minus button bottom right, ctrl-mouse wheel (- key)).

Top Bottom