• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

surly

Banned
Pin the things that you use on the start screen, put them in different groups and add a label (minus button bottom right, ctrl-mouse wheel (- key)).
What I would like to do is have the things I use often on the main Metro screen, then have the software I need, but don't use very often in the "All apps" section, but that "All apps" section is a mess unless I'm missing a way to tidy it up/add things to it.

jagowar

What I would like to do is have the things I use often on the main Metro screen, then have the software I need, but don't use very often in the "All apps" section, but that "All apps" section is a mess unless I'm missing a way to tidy it up/add things to it.

I have 4 basic categories... apps, games, music & video, news & weather.

Salacious Crumb

If they want to integrate xbox live into win 8 as much as they have they really need to give you all the account options that are currently only available through the actual Xbox 360 console.

I want to change the Windows live ID associated with my xbox account but it turns out you can only do that on a 360 console, and I don't have one any more >.<

Now I have to go to my friends place just to change my WLID with his xbox.

Screenshot_2.png

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
search for the things you don't use much. let go of the old menu structure to find your applications which has been outdated since Vista received search.

Exuro

If they want to integrate xbox live into win 8 as much as they have they really need to give you all the account options that are currently only available through the actual Xbox 360 console.

I want to change the Windows live ID associated with my xbox account but it turns out you can only do that on a 360 console, and I don't have one any more >.<

Now I have to go to my friends place just to change my WLID with his xbox.
I'm still waiting for a month to get my gamertag changed since windows 8 autogenerated one for my email and I wanted to transfer an old one.

surly

Banned
I just figured out how to organise the "All apps" section. Enable the viewing of hidden files and go here: -

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

That folder is full of shortcuts and folders of shortcuts, which is all of the stuff that appears under "All apps", so you can delete things from there and add new shortcuts to get it looking how you want.

Did anyone catch the nugget from the BUILD conference this week that the new Wikipedia lets you share with it to get a quick lookup of a word or phrase? It was a pretty cool use of sharing.

For example: In metro IE, highlight some text, press WIN+H for share, select Wikipedia, notice coolness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone catch the nugget from the BUILD conference this week that the new Wikipedia lets you share with it to get a quick lookup of a word or phrase? It was a pretty cool use of sharing.

For example: In metro IE, highlight some text, press WIN+H for share, select Wikipedia, notice coolness.

I just tested that out. Pretty neat. Unfortunately the process to get it to work highlighted a major gripe I have with this OS.

You can't set up individual default browsers for the desktop and Metro environments. I want to use Chrome on the desktop, and I want to use IE10 on Metro. For whatever reason, you have to set one default browser for both environments. If I set it to Chrome, I can no longer open up the Metro version of IE10. Clicking the icon will boot up the desktop version for whatever reason. The only Metro web browser I can use is Chrome. Chrome doesn't support sharing to stuff like Wikipedia.

If I set the default browser to IE10, then I can play with these features and use full-screen Metro IE10, but when I click a link on Steam, for example, it will boot up the desktop version of IE10 instead of opening a tab in Chrome, which is already up and running.

This is very annoying. I hope they add a way to separate default browsers depending on the environment.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that's just standard crashdump files which doesn't tell you much.

does your bios have diagnostics?

the reason it's sending is you probably did express setup and sending those files is one of the 'help make microsoft better' type options.

Blablurn

that's just standard crashdump files which doesn't tell you much.

does your bios have diagnostics?

the reason it's sending is you probably did express setup and sending those files is one of the 'help make microsoft better' type options.

no idea if it got diagnostics :( gonna wait a lil more. as long as those random restarts only happen in sleep mode, i dont care. if not i can always go back to windows 7.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
no idea if it got diagnostics :( gonna wait a lil more. as long as those random restarts only happen in sleep mode, i dont care. if not i can always go back to windows 7.

check on boot, one of the F keys should get you a boot menu, there might be onboard diagnostics. Done all your update?

dk_

I noticed a different Metro behavior only after using the sleep mode. When I have Metro opened on my primary screen and click somewhere on my secondary, my primary screen goes back to the desktop (or what I had open before) and closes Metro. My second monitor acts like a back button. After a restart all is normal again.

Any ideas how to solve it?

I never thought I'd say it.

But I like Windows 8.

The apps are pretty cool. The whole OS is very attractive and has only given me the slightest bit of trouble upgrading from 7.

The only hardware I can't get going is my USB Bluetooth adapter. Maybe I'll figure that out soon.

Damn, did they change the upgrade offer site? I can't seem to get a code for my desktop. It requires a product key and the one I have didn't qualify. I knew I should've gotten two codes when I setup my laptop.

Oh well, $40 isn't much either.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know how to gracefully remove an old windows 7 partition?

I had windows 7 and then added win 8 as a new partition. It works great, would like to remove win7 now but want to do it in the correct way so I don't make a right mess of the dual boot menu at boot time.

Not sure if just blasting the win7 partition would fix this. Win7 is the first partition so I really really don't want to destroy my new win8 build by accident.

fritolay

BING Metro Weather app seems nice but it is wrong.

It will show the weather highs and lows in the main portion off by 20 some degrees for my location. Then to the right in the hourly it shows what the correct temp.

So if it is supposed to be a high of 60 degrees for the day, and then hourly shows it will be 80 degrees by noon, well that is not working too good.

Rootbeer

Banned
I enabled AHCI in my BIOS and installed Windows 8 onto a new SSD afterwards. I was having a lot of trouble enabling AHCI post-install (yes, i've read plenty of articles and forum posts on doing this, but windows would BSOD on reboot, could not figure out why, maybe BIOS related)

Now, I have an optical blu-ray drive that locks up my entire pc if i try to boot with it connected to a SATA port that has AHCI enabled. I am trying to find a new drive that works better with AHCI.

Any suggestions?

The drive I currently have is "LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L"

It works fine on a controller set to use IDE, but I need to set all those ports to AHCI so I can put all of my SATA hard drives as AHCI

Blablurn

it seems like my random restarts came from an anti virus app. its called antivir. a popular german one. everytime i tried to delete it my computer crashed. went into safe mode, deleted it successfully. hopefully the problem is gone now. and according to the internet many people suffered under that problem. also explains why the crashing started some days after installing windows 8. cause it took me some days till i installed it.

this leads me to the next question:

what is the best windows 8 compatible anti virus app?

Xyber

Is it just me or is the printscreen function broken? I press Win+prtscr and I just see that it fades to a transparent grey and back but it doesn't actually save a screenshot.

strata8

Is it just me or is the printscreen function broken? I press Win+prtscr and I just see that it fades to a transparent grey and back but it doesn't actually save a screenshot.

Works fine for me. Saves it to Pictures > Screenshots.

...and it saves in PNGs now, rather than JPG. Awesome.

Xyber

Works fine for me. Saves it to Pictures > Screenshots.

...and it saves in PNGs now, rather than JPG. Awesome.

That's it, I already had a folder named Screenshots for my game screenshots and didn't think I would actually find them in there. Thanks.

does anyone know how to gracefully remove an old windows 7 partition?

I had windows 7 and then added win 8 as a new partition. It works great, would like to remove win7 now but want to do it in the correct way so I don't make a right mess of the dual boot menu at boot time.

Not sure if just blasting the win7 partition would fix this. Win7 is the first partition so I really really don't want to destroy my new win8 build by accident.

Run msconfig and check the Boot tab, it should have an entry for each. Remove the Windows 7 one and reboot, it should go straight into Windows 8. Then you can just format the partition.

kinggroin

Banned
Finally fixed my Live issue.

Ended up reformatting and creating a completely new identity. New live ID and new MS Live account.

Whatever. I only had 7k in achievements

SeanR1221

So as some of you know the Lenovo Yoga is full of bloat. You only get 60GB of your 128GB HDD.

I found instructions on how to fix this, but a couple questions

1) Choose [Option A] or [Option B] to backup SSD:

[Option A] Install Paragon's Image Backup for Windows 8 (free).
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/compo&#8203;nents/

Make a Recovery USB Stick (under Tools).

Test boot from Recovery USB Stick; need to change BIOS Boot Mode to
[Legacy Support] to boot from USB Stick. Set it back to [UEFI] and
boot Windows 8 normally.

Backup the entire 128GB SSD to external harddrive (or onto the Recovery

USB stick if it is >32GB).
~25 mins via USB 2.0, resulting backup size ~20GB
Save this backup so someday we could restore the Yoga back to its
initial factory state.

If anything goes wrong, use the USB stick to restore partitions.

[Option B] Create a Windows 8 Recovery Drive (external harddrive or 32GB USB stick)

Control Panel -> Search for "Recovery" -> "Create a recovery drive", then check

the "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive".

If anything goes wrong, use the USB stick to re-install Windows 8.

2) Copy Lenovo D:\ to C:\Lenovo\.

Admin CMD> ROBOCOPY D:\Application C:\Lenovo\Application /MIR /NFL /NDL
Admin CMD> ROBOCOPY D:\drivers C:\Lenovo\drivers /MIR /NFL /NDL

3) Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a programs

Uninstall "Intel Rapid Start Technology".

Reboot.

4) Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management

Delete the last 3 partitions:
25GB ... LENOVO ( D: )
8GB ... (no name)
20GB ... PBR_DRV

Right click on ( C: ) in the diagram -> Extend Volume...
Extend by 50175 MB, leaving 4GB at the end. (54271 - 4096 = 50175)
If you upgraded RAM to 8GB, subtract 8192 instead of 4096.

Right click on the unallocated space -> New Simple Volume...
Create a simple volume with the 4GB unallocated space.
Don't assign a drive letter to it, don't format it.

Admin CMD> diskpart
DISKPART> sel disk 0
DISKPART> list part

Notice partition 4 is the one just created (4GB).

DISKPART> sel part 4
DISKPART> set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593

5) Download Intel Rapid Start from:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?D&#8203;wnldID=21612

Execute Rapid_Start_Win7_2.1.0.1002.exe to extract the driver
to the directory C:\Driver_Win7. If you change the default directory
to somewhere else, then you will get an error afterwards. Don't worry,
just execute IRST\setup.exe at your designated directory.

IRST\setup.exe should install IRST without any problem. Once
installed, find the IRST Manager in the Notification Icon and use it to
adjust IRST parameters to your liking.

You could test IRST by enabling its timer and setting it to 1 minute.
Put your Yoga to sleep (the power button should blink), wait 60 seconds,
notice the laptop fan spins up for a second, then all is quiet (the power
button no longer blinks).

Congratulations! Your C:\ drive is now 112 GB in size.

I have a 2GB stick I can use as the recovery stick, but what exactly does this do? Why does option B need a 32GB stick? I have a external HDD so that part isn't a problem.

This part

Right click on the unallocated space -> New Simple Volume...
Create a simple volume with the 4GB unallocated space.
Don't assign a drive letter to it, don't format it.

Admin CMD> diskpart
DISKPART> sel disk 0
DISKPART> list part

Notice partition 4 is the one just created (4GB).

DISKPART> sel part 4
DISKPART> set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593

Really confused me. I was kinda going through my computer doing a mock run, but I don't know what unallocated space is. I tried just clicking the blank space in disk management but didn't see the option...

Please keep in mind I don't know much about computers so be nice :(

@Sean

When you delete a Windows partition the size it once held becomes 'unallocated', you won't see this if you haven't done this part:

Delete the last 3 partitions:
25GB ... LENOVO ( D: )
8GB ... (no name)
20GB ... PBR_DRV

And the recovery partition is an image (copy) of the factory installed set up (Windows 8 install + all the rubbish), it usually would be quite large which is why they are suggesting a 32GB drive.

Ah ok. So (not to sound dumb here) the recovery stick in option A is different from the recovery stick in option B?

Yes.

The USB recovery stick mentioned in option A just contains a version of the Paragon software, it will allow you to boot from it and then restore an image (backup) from an external source.

derFeef

NextGen Reader is my favourite news reader so far. If they add Live tiles I will buy it. Feed Reader has Live tiles but is weird to use and read.

so how is it decided wether an app is available worldwide or not? I just don't see the benefit of a twitter app only being available in the united states?

SeanR1221

Yes.

The USB recovery stick mentioned in option A just contains a version of the Paragon software, it will allow you to boot from it and then restore an image (backup) from an external source.

Ok ok, I feel semi confident now. What would be the better option incase I screw up, A or B?

What is the better option to have ready incase I need to restore to factory settings to sell someday in the future?

Finally fixed my Live issue.

Ended up reformatting and creating a completely new identity. New live ID and new MS Live account.

Whatever. I only had 7k in achievements

What about game saves? I think they are tied to the account, can you access them with your new account?

Top Bottom