• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Rlan

Over at Gamasutra I've written a big long blog post about my experience doing some design for Windows 8 specific stuff in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanLang...opment_Of_Fruit_Ninja_And_Jetpack_Joyride.php

In the article I discuss how we designed the awesome snap view stuff in the game, from mockups to the final version, like this:

snapviewmockups.png

As well as designing up the different tiles that appear in the game.

Give it a look, I enjoy writing stuff like this from behind the scenes, would love to do more :)

SeanR1221

What about game saves? I think they are tied to the account, can you access them with your new account?

I noticed this. Everything is tied to the live account. When I redownloaded Angry Birds in Space, it put me right back to my last played level.

Jetpack Joyride gave me all my gear, but reset my play stats and missions.

SeanR1221

Rlan, I know you work for halfbrick. Are you guys aware that if the game doesn't connect to Live, it doesn't let you play with any of your stuff? When my power went out, I fired up JetPack Joyride and all my stuff was gone. Same with Fruit Ninja. Whereas with Angry Birds I could play and beat new levels without restarting.

derFeef

Over at Gamasutra I've written a big long blog post about my experience doing some design for Windows 8 specific stuff in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanLang...opment_Of_Fruit_Ninja_And_Jetpack_Joyride.php

In the article I discuss how we designed the awesome snap view stuff in the game, from mockups to the final version, like this:

snapviewmockups.png

As well as designing up the different tiles that appear in the game.

Give it a look, I enjoy writing stuff like this from behind the scenes, would love to do more :)

Awesome. That docking is one of my favourite things, great to see it can be utilized in games too :)

Rlan

Rlan, I know you work for halfbrick. Are you guys aware that if the game doesn't connect to Live, it doesn't let you play with any of your stuff? When my power went out, I fired up JetPack Joyride and all my stuff was gone. Same with Fruit Ninja. Whereas with Angry Birds I could play and beat new levels without restarting.

I'll send that onto the guys, thanks for that!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does anyone else have the problem where everything on the internet works, in metro and outside of metro, but you can't sign into things like Twitter clients, Flickr on the photos app, etc.?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Good news: whatever caused the Netflix app to crash at startup has fixed itself, nice.

Bad news: XBOX sign-in stopped working, not sure what happened there. It'll ask me to try signing in with a browser, closing whichever app I'm running and starting the app again but no joy.

kinggroin

Banned
Good news: whatever caused the Netflix app to crash at startup has fixed itself, nice.

Bad news: XBOX sign-in stopped working, not sure what happened there. It'll ask me to try signing in with a browser, closing whichever app I'm running and starting the app again but no joy.

Boom.

Happened to me. Read my post history in this thread.

Ended up having to create a new microsoft identity.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there a way to change the default location where applications install to? I don't want everything to install in the program files folder on my SSD

SeanR1221

Hey Opus, I don't know if you saw my last post...

Ok ok, I feel semi confident now. What would be the better option incase I screw up, A or B?

What is the better option to have ready incase I need to restore to factory settings to sell someday in the future?

bedlamite

Yoga 13 owners, do you have any issues with fan noise? I'm looking to pick one of these up and I've heard some complaints about it online

Hey Opus, I don't know if you saw my last post...

Well both options lead to removing the hidden recovery partition. You would not be able to recreate this.

From personal experience I don't think it's an issue. I've passed on several laptops that I've removed the recovery partition from, the extra space is appreciated.

If you do go on to sell it just do a clean install of Windows 8 and pass along the Product Key.

SeanR1221

Well both options lead to removing the hidden recovery partition. You would not be able to recreate this.

From personal experience I don't think it's an issue. I've passed on several laptops that I've removed the recovery partition from, the extra space is appreciated.

If you do go on to sell it just do a clean install of Windows 8 and pass along the Product Key.

Where do I find the product key at? Or do I have to request it from MS?

Totakeke

Well, that's certainly new behavior for the notification pop up.

n47Hr.png

That doesn't seem like something Microsoft would approve, or does it?

Totakeke

Nextgen Reader feels like it loads articles faster than the google reader website, which is awesome. Although the startup/sync is certainly a slower.

SeanR1221

Damn! I was all ready to do this, when I realize my fiancés old external HDD is a old piece of crap with not enough space on it.

Looks like I'm postponing until Black Friday when I can buy a 2TB HDD.

gcubed

i saw someone else post here about how they like Win8 much better now then the preview release. I must say i do too, but i think its pretty clear why.

Windows 8 with a mouse and on a desktop was in absolutely no way appealing to me.
Windows 8 on an ultrabook/laptop with a multi-touch touchpad with gestures is really really good

surly

Banned
So how are you guys liking the new UI
I really like it now that I've got used to it. I do wish they'd left Aero in though, because even though the UI looks nice and clean, I still prefer the glass look of Aero.

On an unrelated note, I don't know if it's a bug, but when you play demos of games that have achievements and then uninstall them, they still show up on the live tile of your Games app and in the game activity list of the app itself, much like XBLA demos used to many moons ago on the 360. Hopefully they change that.

Dunlop

Does start8 disable the standard windows 8 start menu or can you use both?

You can use both and there is quite a lot that you can customize. The more I use it the more I question why Microsoft did not implement Windows 8 like this.

Plan on purchasing it, but waiting until the trial ends to see if MS tries to squash the app :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I like the lack of Aero. I set the colour of the taskbar and windows to dark dark grey and it looks very very classy now.

PG2G

So... you can map this to a SD card and have the apps installed there?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to start installing applications to removable storage when that isn't officially supported. Who knows what the OS will do if that storage isn't there.

Top Bottom