• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

MCD

I am willing to pay mad pussy and money for a real MKV Player. With 10bit support and FLAC audio.

How hard can that be? Because PowerDVD Mobile sux.

derFeef

The account picture stuff is really confusing and incosistent. No picture, the skype picture, then some random picture... ?

MCD

Anyone have a 1sec lag in IE10 new tab page?

Maybe it's my AMD beta drivers but shit wasn't like this in IE9.

Gaspode_T

I am willing to pay mad pussy and money for a real MKV Player. With 10bit support and FLAC audio.

How hard can that be? Because PowerDVD Mobile sux.

Can you please sell me on what this is needed for? (sending it to PS3 or Xbox to play as well) I am a bit out of the loop on what the strong impetus behind having this support is, is it that a bunch of people use VLC to encode stuff and then upload it somewhere?

MCD

Can you please sell me on what this is needed for? (sending it to PS3 or Xbox to play as well) I am a bit out of the loop on what the strong impetus behind having this support is, is it that a bunch of people use VLC to encode stuff and then upload it somewhere?

Every animu is MKV nowadays. To make it worse, they don't stop at just being MKV, now they are 10bit with FLAC audio and whatever else they shove in videos just to make playback support a living hell.

tl;dr I can stick with my PotPlayer but I want a metro app DAMMIT.

Tenck

Screenshot_2.png

Doing this with the Weather App app and Chrome to test it out, and it's such a nice feature. Don't think I'd get much use out of it since I'm always in Desktop, but the option is always nice.

Mangotron

Anyone play Starcraft 2 or DOTA2 on Windows 8 yet? Any issues?

I played DOTA and it was fine. Gaming-wise 8 seems to be more or less identical to 7 in gaming performance, with the benefit of overall lower system usage. I wouldn't worry about it.

Zzoram

If I buy the $40 upgrade download and burn an install DVD, do I have to use it within a certain period of time?

I may be building a new PC next Fall so I was thinking of getting the Windows 8 upgrade now and saving it for next year. I still have an unused copy of OEM Vista laying around that I could use as the base Windows to upgrade to Windows 8 on the new machine.

If I can hold the Windows 8 Upgrade and use it in a year or so that would be great because it'll be cheaper than buying a full version then.

kaskade

I must say I'm really liking Windows 8 after being a bit hesitant to upgrade on my desktop since it's mostly for gaming. But it seems the big thing to realize is that the whole metro interface is just a more powerful, pretty start menu with some app support. I'd say on my desktop I still spend about 95% of my time in desktop mode anyway. It's good enough for me that I might consider a Windows laptop over an Macbook in the future.

Zzoram

Can you upgrade from a 32-bit OS to the 64-bit version of Windows 8? Do they let you choose which version of the Windows 8 Upgrade serial key you want?

clav

Can you upgrade from a 32-bit OS to the 64-bit version of Windows 8? Do they let you choose which version of the Windows 8 Upgrade serial key you want?

The keys are interchangeable as they work in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

However, you cannot upgrade a 32-bit installation to 64-bit. You must start over.

How many of you guys bought the $40 upgrade versus getting new hardware with Windows 8 pre-installed?

I upgraded. Works fine on a 2007 PC build.
If I buy the $40 upgrade download and burn an install DVD, do I have to use it within a certain period of time?

I may be building a new PC next Fall so I was thinking of getting the Windows 8 upgrade now and saving it for next year. I still have an unused copy of OEM Vista laying around that I could use as the base Windows to upgrade to Windows 8 on the new machine.

If I can hold the Windows 8 Upgrade and use it in a year or so that would be great because it'll be cheaper than buying a full version then.

No, but the purchase price will expire in January, so buy now.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
NextGen Reader is my favourite news reader so far. If they add Live tiles I will buy it. Feed Reader has Live tiles but is weird to use and read.
OOooo nice. During the little overview on first time startup they said live tile and snap support were coming.

ElNino

No (sort of), if you use the upgrade assistant and buy only the download ($40) then you only get the iso for the version your current OS is (32-bit or 64-bit). However, the activation license you get is good for either version so if you can find the 64-bit version of the iso then you can use your activation key on that.

Rekubot

I was using Daemon Tools to mount the ISO file I downloaded through MSDN, but the installer says I need to uninstall DT as it's not supported by Windows 8. Damnit. Is there any other virtual disc mounter that Windows 8 supports so I don't have to go out and buy a DVD?

clav

I was using Daemon Tools to mount the ISO file I downloaded through MSDN, but the installer says I need to uninstall DT as it's not supported by Windows 8. Damnit. Is there any other virtual disc mounter that Windows 8 supports so I don't have to go out and buy a DVD?

Built-in Windows 8.

Right click the ISO and select "Mount."

Why do you need to mount it?

Rekubot

Built-in Windows 8.

Right click the ISO and select "Mount."

Why do you need to mount it?

Ah sorry, guess my post was a little confusing. I have Windows 7, want to install Windows 8. The Windows 8 installer is making me uninstall Daemon Tools first, which is a problem because that's how I'm mounting the ISO.

Krakatoa

Just extract the iso to your drive and run the setup.

Zzoram

No (sort of), if you use the upgrade assistant and buy only the download ($40) then you only get the iso for the version your current OS is (32-bit or 64-bit). However, the activation license you get is good for either version so if you can find the 64-bit version of the iso then you can use your activation key on that.

If I buy the Windows 8 Upgrade on a 64-bit computer and make a bootable DVD, will the DVD have the 64-bit version?

If I then take that 64-bit bootable DVD and use it to upgrade a 32-bit Vista PC to Windows 8 (clean install option), will it result in Windows 8 64-bit or will it detect that the base OS was 32-bit and install Windows 8 32-bit instead?

NextGen reader looks really good so far. Simple list support for all unread items (even default view!) and readability support. Time to delete FeedReader.

ElNino

If I buy the Windows 8 Upgrade on a 64-bit computer and make a bootable DVD, will the DVD have the 64-bit version?

If I then take that 64-bit bootable DVD and use it to upgrade a 32-bit Vista PC to Windows 8 (clean install option), will it result in Windows 8 64-bit or will it detect that the base OS was 32-bit and install Windows 8 32-bit instead?
I believe you should be able to install the 64-bit version in that scenario. In fact, the install DVD should only have the 64-bit version on it.

NZNova

I upgraded last weekend (only because I got it for free through my MSDN sub, to be honest) and it's less aggravating than I was expecting. However, the built in metro apps are almost uniformly terrible. Hopefully, there will be some improvement on that front.

I upgraded last weekend (only because I got it for free through my MSDN sub, to be honest) and it's less aggravating than I was expecting. However, the built in metro apps are almost uniformly terrible. Hopefully, there will be some improvement on that front.

Yeah, I did the same on my laptop and feel the same about the metro apps. I'm going to wait a couple of months and see if there any drastic changes, issues, etc. before I commit the Desktop to an upgrade.

That bit about MKVs not playing via home group is very worrysome.

Lynn616

NextGen reader looks really good so far. Simple list support for all unread items (even default view!) and readability support. Time to delete FeedReader.

Trying it out now. I just need a snap view and live tiles.

I am loving these try before you buy apps.

edit: Just saw this so I decided to buy it.

v55Dt.png

Snap view and live tiles next week.

Leckan

Anyone know why you can't choose between 32-bit and 64-bit when you install? They even included XP in the deal where the vast majority have the 32-bit version and obviously want the 64-bit win8 for their new computers in 2012 with 4gb+RAM.

Seems like an idiotic oversight unless there's a technical reason for it.

Weenerz

Banned
Anyone know why you can't choose between 32-bit and 64-bit when you install? They even included XP in the deal where the vast majority have the 32-bit version and obviously want the 64-bit win8 for their new computers in 2012 with 4gb+RAM.

Seems like an idiotic oversight unless there's a technical reason for it.

Because it works with both? One version of the OS works for both I believe.

derFeef

Yup, that was me. I wouldn't count on MKV streaming to work through homegroup sharing as it only worked for one of my files- not sure why it was an exception.

Installed a codec pack and all works now :)

Trying it out now. I just need a snap view and live tiles.

I am loving these try before you buy apps.

edit: Just saw this so I decided to buy it.

v55Dt.png

Snap view and live tiles next week.

Sweet! My favourite app so far, really well done.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yeah, I did the same on my laptop and feel the same about the metro apps. I'm going to wait a couple of months and see if there any drastic changes, issues, etc. before I commit the Desktop to an upgrade.

That bit about MKVs not playing via home group is very worrysome.
.mkv work fine over homegroup.

For some reason the messaging app is borked for me. Keeps saying I can't send messages. It works just fine on my laptop. Restarting the app isn't working either.

EDIT: Reinstalling fixed it. :/

EDIT2: And it's broken again...

Mr Swine

Banned
So do you need to reinstall windows 7 every time you want reformat the HHD and want to install Windows 8 upgrade?

How stable is Win 8 upgrade compared to the none upgrade version?

Leckan

Because it works with both? One version of the OS works for both I believe.

I don't think you get what I meant. I was talking about the upgrade assistant downloadable cheaper version.

If you have a 32-bit system before installing you get Win8 32-bit and with and vice-versa. You can't choose the 64-bit version if you have a 32-bit system, even though the code works on both. You have to wait and hope an ISO gets released or find a computer with a 64-bit Windows.

Top Bottom