• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Trying it out now. I just need a snap view and live tiles.

I am loving these try before you buy apps.

edit: Just saw this so I decided to buy it.

v55Dt.png

Snap view and live tiles next week.

just tried this app, this is pretty dope. what are some websites I should be following?

Whats a decent live tile clock app to throw on the homescreen?

I like "the time". it's free

hmm, I don't get it. what is the difference between the trial of nextgen reader and the full version? It seems like I can use the trial perfectly, and the store page said that it's unlimited..

So I just found out you can't paste anything into the Explorer address bar.

I tried pasting
C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Packages/Appname/Settings

No dice. I can still type it in myself and it works, but why the hell would they do this?

Freak error? Seems to be working now.

PSGames

For those who are familiar with the app store policy is there anything stopping emulators and torrent programs from appearing in the Windows store like Android? Or will they be blocked like on the ios app store?

No one else curious about this?

zedge

Ok, really starting to like metro IE10.. finding my self using the traditional desktop less and less. I <3 metro.

Zzoram

So if you have an activated Windows 8 upgrade installed and want to reformat and reinstall, it will let you do it directly from the Windows 8 upgrade DVD you burned without reinstalling the old Windows first? That would be convenient.

clav

So if you have an activated Windows 8 upgrade installed and want to reformat and reinstall, it will let you do it directly from the Windows 8 upgrade DVD you burned without reinstalling the old Windows first? That would be convenient.

You don't even need to install the old Windows at all.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
reset and refresh. new features, look it up.

Laekon

So I'm looking to do the online upgrade to Windows 8 but one of the compatibility warning is about Secure boot.

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.

The link it provides doesn't have any useful info and Google is helping out much. Is this something to be worried about?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I gotta say that I love the new start screen. I just want to play with the tiles all the time.

For some reason the messaging app is borked for me. Keeps saying I can't send messages. It works just fine on my laptop. Restarting the app isn't working either.

EDIT: Reinstalling fixed it. :/

EDIT2: And it's broken again...

Something what clearly borked on the back-end for the service, been using it everyday for the Release Preview and RTM with no issues and then it just died a few days go. It came back a few hours ago for me though.

Quick

Banned
I gotta say that I love the new start screen. I just want to play with the tiles all the time.

Love the Start screen now, after being against it after trying out the release preview.

I can't decide on how I want it to look like. Haha.

MCD

Windows Phone has some emulators so MS should be cool with it as long as they don't come with the ROMs.

Ydahs

I just realized the Xbox account Windows 8 created me is set to United States, though I'm in Australia. I wanted to try out Xbox Music but I couldn't enter the correct details.

Any idea on where I can change my country from US to AU?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I had same issue, this is the answer. you have to tell windows where you really are.

me too. The only problem I really have with desktop work is that if I'm using 6 applications and it's a combination of desktop and metro apps, there isn't really one nice over view to switch between them. In that regard, for workflow I find windows 7 better currently.

I would actually like a way to put icons for my metro apps on the taskbar in desktop mode when they're running, since that is where I spend most of my time.

That and I'd like to be able to trigger the desktop version of chrome from the start screen until extensions all work in metro chrome.

Enco

I have no idea what's wrong but all of a sudden W8 is taking a really long time to log me in.

The first time I did it didn't pick up my ethernet cable.

Any ideas?

edit: not sure about my ethernet issue but I think the slow log in was because of me restarting instead of shutting down and opening from scratch

tenz0r

Can anyone help me with a question with Windows 8?

I plan on buying a SSD hard drive during Black Friday, but I want to upgrade to Windows 8 right now on my basic hard drive. If I go through with the upgrade now, will I be able to use my Windows 8 ISO on a flash drive to do a clean install on my new SSD once I get it? Or would I need to install Windows 7 first on the SSD, then do the upgrade to get it to work?

Rootbeer

Banned
I am really falling in love with Win 8 on my desktop. Don't miss Win 7 in any way. Total success.

Only problem is I have never owned an xbox so the whole xbox integration thing doesn't add any value for me. I think the new xbox coming in 2013 (hopefully) will be my first foray onto the platform though, so we'll see.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can anyone help me with a question with Windows 8?

I plan on buying a SSD hard drive during Black Friday, but I want to upgrade to Windows 8 right now on my basic hard drive. If I go through with the upgrade now, will I be able to use my Windows 8 ISO on a flash drive to do a clean install on my new SSD once I get it? Or would I need to install Windows 7 first on the SSD, then do the upgrade to get it to work?
You can install it fresh on the ssd. Windows is pretty smart, if it sees another windows install on a hard drive that is plugged in when you are installing it, no matter what drive you are trying to install it on, it will recognize that install and assume you are 'upgrading' or reinstalling, both of which are acceptable under an upgrade or full license

if you have problems activating (you won't, but still), you can use method 2 on this page to easily force activation as long as the key is legit.

tenz0r

You can install it fresh on the ssd. Windows is pretty smart, if it sees another windows install on a hard drive that is plugged in when you are installing it, no matter what drive you are trying to install it on, it will recognize that install and assume you are 'upgrading'

if you have problems activating (you won't, but still), you can use method 2 on this page to easily force activation as long as the key is legit.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

How far are we from 9.9 Windows Experience Index hardware? A couple of years?

My 3570k/GTX670 combo only scored an 8.1 (with overclock). How will I ever live with myself?
Haha.

Rootbeer

Banned
How far are we from 9.9 Windows Experience Index hardware? A couple of years?

My 3570k/GTX670 combo only scored an 8.1 (with overclock). How will I ever live with myself?
Haha.

9.9 will be reachable next year with Intel's Haswell chips. My guess. You'll need cutting-edge components system-wide, that's for sure.

I'm planning on building a new system around Haswell. Excite!

I guess people with Sandy Bridge-E and crazy RAM overclocks are already seeing scores in the 9 range? So it probably will be just one generation of hardware away! Crazy!

Top Bottom