• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Got the $15 Windows 8 deal and put the license on my girl's Dell Latitude D430. It actually runs really, really well for such old hardware. She loves Windows 8 even without the touch-screen ability, but I did install a Start-menu program so she can make a smooth transition. She's always hitting Shift+WindowsKey to check out the Metro experience.

Moving forward, I'm only using Windows 8 based tablets/laptops. I'm probably going to splurge on a nice touch-based monitor for Christmas just to have the complete experience...

TLDR: Windows 8 is surprisingly practical.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is there a definitive list of features of previous windows that have been cut from 8 or is basically everything that's always been there just hidden under metro?

Not sure about definitive but here is a start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_8

So, I see gadgets are gone. I've always liked the idea of gadgets (widgets on OS X) but the execution never satisfied me. Not sure why. Probably because they are so limited in how you can use them. But now Windows 8 has smart tiles and metro apps... basically an evolution of the concept

SeanR1221

Found a very annoying bug. If you go into Office your two finger scrolling stops working. Only thing I've found that fixes it is a reboot.

Echoplx

Anyone else having issues with Steam using lots of ram? If I leave it running for extended periods of time and then close it my ram usage drops by around 20% even though task manager shows it as using only 50mb of ram :s

eastmen

Banned
9.9 will be reachable next year with Intel's Haswell chips. My guess. You'll need cutting-edge components system-wide, that's for sure.

I'm planning on building a new system around Haswell. Excite!

your hardrive will be what kills you. I'm running a bulldozer fx 8150 with 16 gigs of ddr 2166 with a radeon 6970 and a Samsung 820 256 gig drive. I'm stuck at 7.7 . That's my cpu and ram. My primary hardrive is only 7.8

Ram and hardrive is where I think we will all get stuck. Haswell wont use ddr 4 at first so I don't expect it to do much better and hard drives are already bumping up against sata bandwidth limitations

Blablurn

i got windows 8 with the 15€ offer when u bought a laptop before. i would like to create a dvd with safe copy of win 8 in case i will have poblems in the future. is there a way to get the iso or the download from microsoft?

Wubby

What's the best way to update from Win 8 preview? I don't feel like paying full price or downgrading back to my licensed copy of Win XP professional (oem).

Totakeke

I just saw a CBS video ad advertising their app just for Windows 8/RT. That's a milestone Windows Phone probably never had.

MrBig

How far are we from 9.9 Windows Experience Index hardware? A couple of years?

My 3570k/GTX670 combo only scored an 8.1 (with overclock). How will I ever live with myself?
Haha.

Yeah with near top of the line components for everything I got an 8.0 overall. 3570k@4.4ghz, 670@1.28ghz, 8gb 1600mhz ram, SSD, etc

i got windows 8 with the 15€ offer when u bought a laptop before. i would like to create a dvd with safe copy of win 8 in case i will have poblems in the future. is there a way to get the iso or the download from microsoft?

When you run the upgrade assistant, it gives you the option the download an ISO.

I have no idea how that would work, since you'd need to keep it in the foreground. Maybe a desktop app running in the background with a Metro 'remote'?

Metro apps can download/upload in the background.

If you have a Arm/Atom device, the only ones so far which support connected standby, it will download even if you leave your device locked.

Gaspode_T

I have no idea what's wrong but all of a sudden W8 is taking a really long time to log me in.

The first time I did it didn't pick up my ethernet cable.

Any ideas?

edit: not sure about my ethernet issue but I think the slow log in was because of me restarting instead of shutting down and opening from scratch

You can try opening Task Manager and look at the Startup tab too

Dunlop

TuneIn is also fantastic. Very well done.
I hope Spotify comes up with a similar quality app, but I doubt it.

I like it also, had an issue this morning that the radio station I had pinned had no volume when I launched it from the "shortcut" but worked fine when I launched it from within the TuneIn app.

Did't really test it extensively so might have been a weird bug

Totakeke

Listening in on the build stream right now, sounds like they're really serious on a Windows 8 push on very big screens by further developing to software to really maximize the use of touch + pen input in the same situation. Sounds good.

Found a very annoying bug. If you go into Office your two finger scrolling stops working. Only thing I've found that fixes it is a reboot.

Must be your drivers, works fine for me (I had the same issue with a couple of random Metro apps, but new drivers fixed it).

MCD

Anyone have this issue where the mouse cursor disappears? Happened twice with my brother's new HP Windows 8 laptop and one time on my desktop PC.

Restart fixed it but there must be a better fix or solution.

I'm testing the Xbox music service (free, ad based) and i noticed that some songs are not available to be added to my library. Is that a limitation of the free service, or even with the music pass some songs would have to be purchased?

Other than that i'm blown away by the service, i am currently signed to Mog, which i love, but i am seriously thinking about switching it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The thing I wish metro had was something I've randomly called in my head, metro spaces.

It would be nice to have 2 applications running side by side permanently within that space. Switching to the desktop wouldn't take up the large portion of the screen while the other app is on the side.

So you could group up specific applications to your liking within it's own space. One might have im+ and fruit ninja to the side. Another could have a new reader and mail. And so on.

Salacious Crumb

Yeah with near top of the line components for everything I got an 8.0 overall. 3570k@4.4ghz, 670@1.28ghz, 8gb 1600mhz ram, SSD, etc

All my components are in perfect harmony

qnD3o.jpg

That's with a 2500K at 4.8Ghz, 670 at 1.25Ghz, DDR3 at 2133Mhz and a 128GB Crucial M4.

for some reason the driver for my touchpad on my Sony VAIO didn't carry over and now I can't turn off the tap to click. anyone know how i can turn this off cause it messes me up with my palm touches it when I type

MCD

Anyone have this issue where the mouse cursor disappears? Happened twice with my brother's new HP Windows 8 laptop and one time on my desktop PC.

Restart fixed it but there must be a better fix or solution.

OK. Let me correct this.

The cursor does not disappear. The mouse pointer is there but you can't click on anything.

I fixed it by pressing Windows key + C multiple times till it fix itself.

Anyone know what is causing this? A display issue? IE10 issue? TouchPad issue?

OK. Let me correct this.

The cursor does not disappear. The mouse pointer is there but you can't click on anything.

I fixed it by pressing Windows key + C multiple times till it fix itself.

Anyone know what is causing this? A display issue? IE10 issue? TouchPad issue?

I think i had the same problem when i first upgraded, I did a clean install so I didn't have the proper drivers for my touchpad

Got Windows 8 to work with bootcamp flawlessly on my macbook pro.

It's a clean install, but the trick is it makes you format the partition you build with bootcamp, which likely wipes out all the set up that bootcamp does. So you need to put the bootcamp software on a usb drive (radio button above 'install windows 7') and run that as soon as windows 8 finally boots up and is ready. This fixes the wireless issue, any trackpad issues(couldn't do a 'right click') and seems to load the drivers 100%.

Then you need 'classic shell' just so desktop just works. C'mon Microsoft, bring the start button back, morons.

MrBig

Then you need 'classic shell' just so desktop just works. C'mon Microsoft, bring the start button back, morons.

The start button is there. You know it's there. You've known where its been since 1995. Do you really need to be shown where it is now, and have that take up space in the UI?

SeanR1221

Finally got a wireless receiver for the 360 controller. Rocket riot, pinball fx, hydro thunder and reckless racing all work with it. However, toy soldier does not which is a huge disappointment. Also, toy soldiers isn't optimized very well. I had to tone down the settings so it would rum smooth on my yoga.

irishcow

Should i do a clean format or windows 7 upgrade? I know clean format has always been the best in the past but I'm wondering if Win 8 has made it worthwhile to go the upgrade route instead? Otherwise I'm dreading setting everything up again...

ferr

Just saw that the WP8 SDK is on the dev site.. and you need Win8 installed to install it? boo. Time to upgrade or something, I guess..

Top Bottom