• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

I have a stange issue with win 8, the first time i switch on my PC when win 8 loads the LAN isnt working, after a reset its fine. Happens every time I use 8 but not when i use 7, im going to see if a later version for the driver will work, but has anyone else had this issue?

That's with a 2500K at 4.8Ghz, 670 at 1.25Ghz, DDR3 at 2133Mhz and a 128GB Crucial M4.

I have the exact same score with a 3570k at 4.5GHz, a 670 at 1.25GHz, DDR3 at 1600MHz, and a 64GB Samsung 830. :D

EDIT:

lyckx.png

For some reason it doesn't highlight the disk score as part of the reason it is an 8.1. I guess it scores a tiny bit higher.

clav

Should i do a clean format or windows 7 upgrade? I know clean format has always been the best in the past but I'm wondering if Win 8 has made it worthwhile to go the upgrade route instead? Otherwise I'm dreading setting everything up again...

Depends on the situation.

If you have way too much stuff to backup, upgrade is fine. Just be sure to delete the Windows 7 backup using Disk Utility.

I still need to find what are the differences of using a 100 MB boot partition (created from Windows Vista/7) vs. the 350 MB boot partition created from a clean-install of Windows 8. My guess would be recovery tools.

SeanR1221

So uh, I accidentally deleted my synaptic touch drivers and went to Lenovos page and downloaded them again and these actually work better. Much smoother scrolling :)

All my components are in perfect harmony

qnD3o.jpg

That's with a 2500K at 4.8Ghz, 670 at 1.25Ghz, DDR3 at 2133Mhz and a 128GB Crucial M4.

I recently upgraded and my
Qjj5r.jpg

This is with a 3930K OC'ed @ 4GHz (what Win8 won't let go past 3.2 GHz for some reason D: ), 670 @ 1.1 GHz and DDR3 at 1600MHz and a OCZ 256GB RevoDrive 3.

Based on the superior clock of your video card and RAM (though I don't know if Quad-Channel makes that much of a difference), I'd say the Performance Index is, as they say in the I need a new PC thread, may be based on Part Id rather than calculated performance though the claim has never been substantiated.

So uh, I accidentally deleted my synaptic touch drivers and went to Lenovos page and downloaded them again and these actually work better. Much smoother scrolling :)

Are you trying to tell me to delete my wife and go demand another daughter from her parents?

I joke! Sorry ladies... with jokes like that, it's no surprise he's single ;_;

Yeah so my scrolling and movement has improved but no two finger tap, you have to click which is weird.

Which drivers should I be using???

I'm sorry man but I have no idea. I try to mitigate these problems by going with brands that have shown they support a few generational shifts but on laptops, its always a crapshoot :(

If you know the actual device name your system uses then you may want to search for that instead of what your OEM is providing. That can be risky though.

Okay guys, I'm having something of a problem.
It wont let me download W8 for some reason, it just keeps giving me an "Unspecified Error". I've rang support earlier this week and they were useless, and I've tried everything I can think of, but no joy :(
Any suggestions on what to do?

mr stroke

Has anyone upgraded from Win 7 and regretted it?

After using W8 for the day I am thinking about wiping my HDD and going back to W7. If I am always going to be on the Desktop I don't know why I even spent the money to upgrade. The Start/Metro tile interface feels pointless so far :/

win 8 is ok on desktop, but it's amazing on my laptop. Startup from sleep is near instant (more near instant than before lol), and i gained another hour of battery life from 4 to 5 on same power settings.

After using W8 for the day I am thinking about wiping my HDD and going back to W7. If I am always going to be on the Desktop I don't know why I even spent the money to upgrade. The Start/Metro tile interface feels pointless so far :/
Give it a few days to see if you change your mind. Most people don't like it at first but then end up liking it better than 7.

mr stroke

Give it a few days to see if you change your mind. Most people don't like it at first but then end up liking it better than 7.

Gonna take your advise, and wait the weekend. But so far I can't stand it. So counterintuitive :(
I feel so lost and the entire Start/Metro layer feels pointless for my usage(PC gaming and internet)

The handful of desktop/OS upgrades are nice enough for $15 I guess. I don't think anyone can really say that it's worse than Windows 7 if they gave it enough of a chance (I was a huge detractor a mere week ago) but how big of an upgrade it is will vary greatly from person to person.

I am using Start8, but you can replace the start menu simply by pinning "My Computer" to the Windows 8 Start menu. It's pretty much the only thing I used the Win 7 start menu for. Quick launch links can be replaced by also just pinning them to the Win 8 Start Menu.

mr stroke

The handful of desktop/OS upgrades are nice enough for $15 I guess. I don't think anyone can really say that it's worse than Windows 7 if they gave it enough of a chance (I was a huge detractor a mere week ago) but how big of an upgrade it is will vary greatly from person to person.

I spent $70 for the disc LOL :(

Gonna take your advise, and wait the weekend. But so far I can't stand it. So counterintuitive :(
I feel so lost and the entire Start/Metro layer feels pointless for my usage(PC gaming and internet)
I felt the same way but spend some time watching videos or reading about ways to navigate the os.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8ProductivityWhoMovedMyCheeseOhThereItIs.aspx

Also, see this thread on how to make the start screen fun for gamers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497663

Edit: Link Fixed

ShadiWulf

my rating, wondering why the SSD is stuck at 7.7, thought it would be rated higher then that, it's pretty crazy fast. Also need to get a real GPU

kvZX4.png

Dunlop

I don't get how the rating works, my PC is ancient and yet is scoring higher than some of the newer PC's with better..well everything

specsm.png

I don't get how the rating works, my PC is ancient and yet is scoring higher than some of the newer PC's with better..well everything

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2281/specsm.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

How old is it?

EDIT: Heres mine
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28710254/Photos/Screencaps/W8%20benchmarks.png

Top Bottom