• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, whatever payment vendor MS is using doesn't work in the USVI. Can I just pay someone in the states to buy the product keys through the assistant using my promo codes and then I download win 8 pro without that awful upgrade assistant tool?

Does anyone have a link to win 8 pro directly?

SeanR1221

Woo! I figured it out!! I went into the registry and manually changed it. Who knows why they have it disabled. So now I have a more response track pad with the double tap.

dejay

Banned
Does it seem strange to anyone that Silverlight isn't part of the Win 8 installation?

Gonna take your advise, and wait the weekend. But so far I can't stand it. So counterintuitive :(
I feel so lost and the entire Start/Metro layer feels pointless for my usage(PC gaming and internet)

Advice if you want to get the best of both old and new worlds: Pin the three or four programs you use daily onto your task bar. Pin the other 10-15 programs/apps you use once in a while or are experimenting with to your start menu. You can pin other stuff like folders, URLS or contacts you use often to the start screen too.

Leave everything else unpinned entirely and just search for it when you want it. If you haven't played a game in a while - just unpin it from start. You can always pin it back later. Take 20 seconds to prune the start menu every other day and it will be functional and beautiful. The travel app that comes with windows is a cool app, but it's not something I'll use very often, so I unpinned that and others like it.

If you find a live tile to be visually confusing, making you lose it sometimes because it never looks like you expect it to look, just turn it to a non-live tile for ease of visibility. While they are cool, 70% of live tiles don't generally add anything in my opinion.

Searching for apps is easy and quick once you've done it a couple of times. Just start typing from the start screen. You usually only have to type three letters of the app you're after before it's the only or top option left and you just press ENTER. Even if you're a slow typer, you'll find it faster than digging through a cluttered start menu. I just tried getting to character map - it took under three seconds where in my old start menu habits it would have taken at least three times that long.

There's also the "all apps" option in the start screen if you don't know what you have. That functionally is the same as the old start menu, although it's spread out it's arranged the same way the start menu would be.

On my desktop I spend very little time in Metro - but when I am in it I find it very useful and there are some metro only apps on there that I like. I also like that I get the same UI on a tablet and can share a lot of the same programs across both platforms. Quitting a game on my PC and then resuming where I left off on my tablet is amazingly easy and something you quickly take for granted.

tl;dr - make the start screen your bitch. Search is start screen's hot sister.

MrBig

Do you prefer to use a Microsoft account or a local account when logging in Windows 8 and why?

Use a MS account if you have a xbox or want to have access to the metro store. You can use the default metro apps without a MS account. There's not much of a reason to beyond that afaik. You can add a MS account to a local account at any time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Do you prefer to use a Microsoft account or a local account when logging in Windows 8 and why?

Microsoft account (which is my gmail account).

Why? Cloud setting sync. Makes it easier to install stuff on another PC without having to tweak all preferences all over again.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
HDD performance bench seems to be picky. My RAID 0 array for the OS with normal HDDs is apparently slow enough to go below 6.0. SSD future I guess.

dejay

Banned
Having Windows 8 without an MS/Live account is like having an Xbox without one, a PS3 without a Sony account, an iDevice without an Apple account or an Android without a Google account.

Well, maybe not that bad, but it has it's advantages, especially if you own multiple devices.

Quick

Banned
Having Windows 8 without an MS/Live account is like having an Xbox without one, a PS3 without a Sony account, an iDevice without an Apple account or an Android without a Google account.

Well, maybe not that bad, but it has it's advantages, especially if you own multiple devices.

I'm on a local account. I removed the People and E-Mail app (no great loss on either) from the Start screen. I can still download apps (just need to log in), and access my Xbox Live account from the Games app.

Salacious Crumb

Right now the only Win 8 computer I'm using is my desktop so it seems a little pointless to me. Sharing files to my WDTV is a pain in the ass with a Microsoft account as well.

jagowar

Right now the only Win 8 computer I'm using is my desktop so it seems a little pointless to me. Sharing files to my WDTV is a pain in the ass with a Microsoft account as well.

To me its more about all the syncing of settings/files and stuff that is really useful.... your browser settings/history/passwords, pc settings, app purchases, etc. Knowing that I can reformat my pc and not worry about backing it up or go to any other win8 pc and login with my acct and get access to all my stuff is very powerful. Not to mention going forward to windows 9 having all that stuff transfer over.

surly

Banned
I forgot all about the Windows Experience Index. Here's mine: -

eHO3s.jpg

8.1 across the board.

dk_

Is the HDD score based on free space? I don't see any data rate information in the results.

Edit: After checking other results, I don't think so.

coldfoot

Banned
Did you get cold feet by having one? ;D

Jokes aside, doesn't Amd support mobile GPUs now with their Drivers?

No support for switchable graphics on Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic laptops.
Does not matter, switchable graphics is bullshit anyways. A laptop should not have switchable graphics, it's too buggy and complicated for software to handle.

Totakeke

Is there an Metro UI IRC client?

IRC Explorer (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/c210318f-2ec5-4ebf-ac55-87641b4a7733)
FooIRC (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d07c3629-fc50-4a1e-b9a4-bc76e66faeda)

Only two, and doesn't seem to be that good. They have trials though.

Someone should create a simple app using the share charm to better generate text and images to recommend apps. I'm guessing all the information the store sends out is just the name plus url. But when you share it to the mail app you get an image and a description as well.

Mairu

IRC Explorer (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/c210318f-2ec5-4ebf-ac55-87641b4a7733)
FooIRC (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d07c3629-fc50-4a1e-b9a4-bc76e66faeda)

Someone should create a simple app using the share charm to better generate text and images to recommend apps. I'm guessing all the information the store sends out is just the name plus url. But when you share it to the mail app you get an image and a description as well.

I tried out IRC Explorer on RT, and while it looks kinda nice, it's really bizarre how multiple servers works. You can only see channels from one server at one time, and you have to 'switch sessions' to view channels from other servers you're logged into. If they just had them all displayed at once on the side, it'd be fine.

Wurst

Just installed Win8 today and love how smooth it is.
Syncing turns out to be a major annoyance for me, though.

Mail app hates Pop3. Strangely enough I can receive Emails with my pop3-email address but can not send any. I heard there is a work around via hotmail. But that is not user friendly.

Sync with google cal doesn't work properly either. Only one calender visible.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

clipboard

jokkir

Does Windows 8 have that "problem" where the Winsxs folder gets incredibly large and you can't do anything about it? Might switch over if that's fixed

Mangotron

Well Windows had a good run. Paying for a irc client lol...

A metro irc client, it's still possible to run any one you please in the desktop.

Has anyone figured out how to disable Metro completely yet?

There's various shells that more or less eliminate it. Start8 jumps you to the desktop by defualt, and there's various programs that will disable the corners. It's not "gone" but you could use win8 and never see it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That's clipboard. You didn't read what I wrote. :)
whoops
Has anyone figured out how to disable Metro completely yet?
there are plenty of tools to do that, stardock has one. There is also Windows 7.
Does Windows 8 have that "problem" where the Winsxs folder gets incredibly large and you can't do anything about it? Might switch over if that's fixed
the winxs folder is actually only about 400mb. the space that it says it takes up isnt accurate.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2008/11/19/disk-space.aspx

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well Windows had a good run. Paying for a irc client lol...

You realize that's up to the people who made the client right? It's not a Windows 8 requirement or anything. They could have released a free version.

Lebron

So is there a way to add your own image to the start screen background or are you limited to the ones they give you?

Just installed Win8 today and love how smooth it is.
Syncing turns out to be a major annoyance for me, though.

Mail app hates Pop3. Strangely enough I can receive Emails with my pop3-email address but can not send any. I heard there is a work around via hotmail. But that is not user friendly.

Sync with google cal doesn't work properly either. Only one calender visible.

Mail app doesn't really support POP3 right now. It's coming in a future update though.

Top Bottom