• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

SeanR1221

So my friend did that Lenovo yoga HDD fix for me. I have 112gb open now, but there's 20gb being taken up by something we can't find. What gives?

Kamek

Tried to upgrade via the Update Assistant - didn't work. Stuck on a screen where it asked for CC info, wouldn't let me press next after I put in my info. Tried different CC - didn't work. Tried it multiple times - didn't work. I just hope I'm not charged like 6 times for this. Anyone else have this problem and know how to remedy it?

So my friend did that Lenovo yoga HDD fix for me. I have 112gb open now, but there's 20gb being taken up by something we can't find. What gives?

Have you factored in the size of hidden hibernation and paging files? Case in point, on my system with 32GB of RAM, before I turned off the paging file, I was using about 57GB of space between those two hidden files. You really don't want to disable hibernation and if you don't have a lot of RAM, you don't want to disable or lower your page file size either. It's still good to know how much space they're using. Also make sure you are not factoring WinSxS into your used space calculations because it'll throw off the amount of space used on your system.

surly

Banned
My guess would be either hiberfil.sys or pagefile.sys (or a combination of the 2) on the root of your C drive. They're both hidden/system files.

Edit - Just beaten. :D

Laekon

Just installed Win8 today and love how smooth it is.
Syncing turns out to be a major annoyance for me, though.

Mail app hates Pop3. Strangely enough I can receive Emails with my pop3-email address but can not send any. I heard there is a work around via hotmail. But that is not user friendly.

Sync with google cal doesn't work properly either. Only one calender visible.

I can't get it to sync with Gmail or my work exchange account. It did it the first time you create the account but not after that. I'm also having a problem with the app store getting updates.

I currently have a windows desktop and laptop, Nexus phone, an a iPad. I really want to go all in on Microsoft with every device being Windows 8. Its crap like a non working mail app that makes it seem like a stupid idea. How does Micrsoft f' up syncing with an exchange account while my Google phone and Apple tablet just work?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok this may seem like an odd question...

Is there a way to access the Charms Bar via an application link?

I have a "Settings" button on my keyboard that I would love to map to Charms bar.

Either via a direct app link, or a BAT file.

Anyone have any ideas?

Every other button on my keyboard can have a macro assigned to it except this one lol or I would do that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
gmail syncing works fine for me. do you have 2 factor auth? have to create an app code via your google account and enter that as your password. As for exchange, standard setups work fine, but if you are having problems talk to your IT folks. (I set up an exchange account just fine btw).

I have a "Settings" button on my keyboard that I would love to map to Charms bar.

Anyone have any ideas?

Every other button on my keyboard can have a macro assigned to it except this one lol or I would do that.
charms bar keyboard shortcut is win (ctrl+esc) +c. and new keyboards are coming out with the buttons on them.

ascully

Anyone have any ideas?

Can't you assign the keyboard shortcut Win+c to the button on your keyboard?

Anyone have any ideas?

This wouldn't make sense since the charms are contextual. If you have a tile that launches a charm item (which I think is what your asking) then it would always launch with the context of the start screen.

Totakeke

What the heck? I woke up today, started up my computer, and found I have a bunch of new system shortcuts on my start screen.

fyRcn.png

surly

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that thumbnails seem to refresh often in Windows 8? I have a folder full of music videos and in Windows 7, sometimes when I opened the folder the thumbnails were gone and they would refresh, but it didn't happen that often. It's happening every day in Windows 8, sometimes more than once.

Totakeke

Oooh, got it. Thanks guys. I kept going into the settings app and couldn't find Tiles or Titles anywhere before I finally found it.

Has anyone else noticed that thumbnails seem to refresh often in Windows 8? I have a folder full of music videos and in Windows 7, sometimes when I opened the folder the thumbnails were gone and they would refresh, but it didn't happen that often. It's happening every day in Windows 8, sometimes more than once.

If I understand you correctly, then yes. Thumbnail refresh proformance was explicitly improved in windows 8. I found this out in either a build blog or recent build workshop.

surly

Banned
If I understand you correctly, then yes. Thumbnail refresh proformance was explicitly improved in windows 8. I found this out in either a build blog or recent build workshop.
It definitely rebuilds the thumbnails a bit faster, but I don't see why it needs to rebuild them so often.

SeanR1221

Yeah. The 128 GB SSD wasn't enough in my opinion. Would have been great if the capacity was bigger or include a HDD too.

Well keep in mind this is more space than I originally had.

It was originally in 2 different drives (Cand D) with only a TOTAL of 60GB of space. Now I have 60GB open out of 112. 14 is in my program files, 1 for my documents, and 20 in the windows folder. Where are my metro apps stored? Can I see the total they take or is that under program files?

Kamek

GAF bros, I hate to bump a thread asking for help again, but I really want to get this done tonight. For some reason the upgrade assistant keeps stalling at the payment info section - and won't go beyond it. I've entered my CC info, clicked next - and nothing happens after that. Is this a common problem and what can I do to fix it? I'd like to get my Win 8 copy and upgrade ASAP.

dLMN8R

Don't forget that 128GB in real space is different from 128GB in advertised space. Same as things have always been for decades.

128GB in advertising = 128,000,000,000 bytes

128GB in an OS is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 137,438,953,472 bytes.

Reverse the calculation, and the advertised 128GB = 119.2GB inside of Windows.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
As soon as I go back to the start screen or another window it stops.

Only way I can keep it playing is to snap it to the right and use 3/4 of the screen for other stuff.. grrr
that isn't normal behavior. it should play in the background. (it does for me)

zedge

Hmm ok, its actually not stopping, its lowering the volume about 90% so I can barely hear it. When I click back to xbox music it goes back to the same volume. Is this a setting somewhere?

check sound setting > communication. Do nothing.

Checking.

*edit.. nope still doing same thing.

Firehead

Hrm... having a problem with Steam not autostarting when I turn on/restart my computer. Been having this problem since I installed 8. Any way to fix this? I've enabled Steam to autostart in its settings.

Exuro

Hrm... having a problem with Steam not autostarting when I turn on/restart my computer. Been having this problem since I installed 8. Any way to fix this? I've enabled Steam to autostart in its settings.
I'm having the problem as well. Someone said its because of the beta, but I haven't cared to opt out and see if that fixes it.

MCD

Is it just me or does my pro version of win 8 not come with the metro version of internet explorer?

iv1bryiDlnMXF.jpg

Speaking of Windows 8 version, my brother's HP Windows 8 laptop comes with a "one language only" edition of Windows 8.

Just how cheap can OEMs be? And here I thought we would never have this bullshit with two editions of Windows 8 only but they just had to do something.

MCD

windows 8 has a language center, you can install any language you want on it.

I will take a picture of my brother's laptop once I get back from work.

You will be surprised to see that there is a Windows 8 edition with a one language only out there.

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 I've been unable to access the online on Halo 2. I'm connected to GFWL ,but both the LIVE and Network title are grayed out. This has been the only game with issues since I upgraded and I'm able to play online on other GFWL games. Does anyone else have this problem?

H2.png

Top Bottom