• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Azih

GAF bros, I hate to bump a thread asking for help again, but I really want to get this done tonight. For some reason the upgrade assistant keeps stalling at the payment info section - and won't go beyond it. I've entered my CC info, clicked next - and nothing happens after that. Is this a common problem and what can I do to fix it? I'd like to get my Win 8 copy and upgrade ASAP.

The assistant didn't work for me so I just bought it directly from the web. Worked fine that way.

mhayze

Urgh. I'm so torn - Yoga 13 w/ 8GB, but no pen and no option to go slate only, or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro (worst name ever) with pen, slate only option, but only 4GB. I run some pretty heavy duty software, but I would love to use a pen. I guess I remain in a hold pattern.

SeanR1221

Ok, I figured out my breakdown with TreeSize Pro.

Out of 112GB on the Yoga....

- 20GB to windows (which I have backed up to a usb stick incase I ever want to dump this, but I wont for now).
- 14GB to program files
- 7GB in Lenovo drivers
- 7GB in hidden files (pagefile.sys and hiberfill.sys)
- 3.5 in RT apps

Leaving me 60GB open. Not bad since I'll pretty much just run RT games on it outside of Diablo III.

If anyone is considering the Yoga, you HAVE to dump the bloat like my friend did for me. Before that, I only had 25 or so GB left. Disgusting that it ships with 60GB available when you buy it, split between two drives.

GAF bros, I hate to bump a thread asking for help again, but I really want to get this done tonight. For some reason the upgrade assistant keeps stalling at the payment info section - and won't go beyond it. I've entered my CC info, clicked next - and nothing happens after that. Is this a common problem and what can I do to fix it? I'd like to get my Win 8 copy and upgrade ASAP.

It's not immediately obvious but check other information you entered like your address and make sure it's correct and matches the credit card you are using.

SeanR1221

61990411.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
use snipping tool to take images of applications. much better than print screen.

clav

I believe Alt + Print Screen will capture the active application window as well.

I thought the only keyboard shortcut to take screenshots was Windows Key + Print Screen. A folder appears under "Pictures" labeled as "Screenshots."

The old fashion way is to use snipping tool or just print screen and paste to Paint.

Kamek

The assistant didn't work for me so I just bought it directly from the web. Worked fine that way.

There doesn't seem to be a way on the site to download the upgrade other than using the Upgrade Assistant which has been horrible for me all day. I'm still stuck on that "Payment Info" screen where I have to put in my CC info. Tried multiple times throughout the day/night. Ugh Microsoft why do you do this shit to me.

jersoc

so im running into a weird problem where downloaded files arent being saved onto my hard drive. no idea why this just start happening cause yesterday it was workign fine.

Echoplx

Installing Windows 7 again this is worse then Windows Me!

I don't understand this at all, to me Windows 8 is just a more optimized 7, I spend 99% of my time on the desktop and barely ever use the start screen at all.

Maybe instead of posting crap like that you should actually say what you don't like about it?

verbum

Reposting for my benefit and others'. Some other useful guides on the Winbeta site-
http://www.winbeta.org/guides

Windows key: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application
Windows key + C: Access the charms bar
Windows key + Tab: Access the Modern Desktop Taskbar
Windows key + I: Access the Settings charm
Windows key + H: Access the Share charm
Windows key + K: Access the Devices charm
Windows key + Q: Access the Apps Search screen
Windows key + F: Access the Files Search screen
Windows key + W: Access the Settings Search screen
Windows key + P: Access the Second Screen bar
Windows key + Z: Brings up the App Bar when you have a Modern Desktop App running
Windows key + X: Access the Windows Tools Menu
Windows key + O: Lock screen orientation
Windows key + . : Move the screen split to the right
Windows key + Shift + . : Move the screen split to the left
Windows key + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications
Windows key + Shift + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications in reverse order
Windows key + PrtScn: Takes a screenshot of the screen and automatically saves it in the Pictures folder as Screenshot
Windows key + Enter: Launch Narrator
Windows key + E: Open Computer
Windows key + R: Open the Run dialog box
Windows key + U: Open Ease of Access Center
Windows key + Ctrl + F: Open Find Computers dialog box
Windows key + Pause/Break: Open the System page
Windows key + 1..10: Launch a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Shift + 1..10: Launch a new instance of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Ctrl + 1..10: Access the last active instance of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Alt + 1..10: Access the Jump List of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + B: Select the first item in the Notification Area and then use the arrow keys to cycle through the items Press Enter to open the selected item
Windows key + Ctrl + B: Access the program that is displaying a message in the Notification Area
Windows key + T: Cycle through the items on the Taskbar
Windows key + M: Minimize all windows
Windows key + Shift + M: Restore all minimized windows
Windows key + D: Show/Hide Desktop (minimize/restore all windows)
Windows key + L: Lock computer
Windows key + Up Arrow: Maximize current window
Windows key + Down Arrow: Minimize/restore current window
Windows key + Home: Minimize all but the current window
Windows key + Left Arrow: Tile window on the left side of the screen
Windows key + Right Arrow: Tile window on the right side of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Up Arrow: Extend current window from the top to the bottom of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Left/Right Arrow: Move the current window from one monitor to the next
Windows key + F1: Launch Windows Help and Support
PageUp: Scroll forward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
PageDown: Scroll backward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
Esc: Close a charm
Ctrl + Esc: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application
Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel: Activate the Semantic Zoom on the Modern Desktop screen
Alt: Display a hidden Menu Bar
Alt + D: Select the Address Bar
Alt + P: Display the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer
Alt + Tab: Cycle forward through open windows
Alt + Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through open windows
Alt + F: Close the current window Open the Shut Down Windows dialog box from the Desktop
Alt + Spacebar: Access the Shortcut menu for current window
Alt + Esc: Cycle between open programs in the order that they were opened
Alt + Enter: Open the Properties dialog box of the selected item
Alt + PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the active Window and place it in the clipboard
Alt + Up Arrow: Move up one folder level in Windows Explorer (Like the Up Arrow in XP)
Alt + Left Arrow: Display the previous folder
Alt + Right Arrow: Display the next folder
Shift + Insert: CD/DVD Load CD/DVD without triggering Autoplay or Autorun
Shift + Delete: Permanently delete the item (rather than sending it to the Recycle Bin)
Shift + F6: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + F10: Access the context menu for the selected item
Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + Click: Select a consecutive group of items
Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program
Shift + Right-click on a Taskbar button: Access the context menu for the selected item
Ctrl + A: Select all items
Ctrl + C: Copy the selected item
Ctrl + X: Cut the selected item
Ctrl + V: Paste the selected item
Ctrl + D: Delete selected item
Ctrl + Z: Undo an action
Ctrl + Y: Redo an action
Ctrl + N: Open a new window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + W: Close current window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + E: Select the Search box in the upper right corner of a window
Ctrl + Shift + N: Create new folder
Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open the Windows Task Manager
Ctrl + Alt + Tab: Use arrow keys to cycle through open windows
Ctrl + Alt + Delete: Access the Windows Security screen
Ctrl + Click: Select multiple individual items
Ctrl + Click and drag an item: Copies that item in the same folder
Ctrl + Shift + Click and drag an item: Creates a shortcut for that item in the same folder
Ctrl + Tab: Move forward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Move backward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program as an Administrator
Ctrl + Click on a grouped Taskbar button: Cycle through the instances of a program in the group
F1: Display Help
F2: Rename a file
F3: Open Search
F4: Display the Address Bar list
F5: Refresh display
F6: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
F7: Display command history in a Command Prompt
F10: Display hidden Menu Bar
F11: Toggle full screen display
Tab: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the entire screen and place it in the clipboard
Home: Move to the top of the active window
End: Move to the bottom of the active window
Delete: Delete the selected item
Backspace: Display the previous folder in Windows Explorer Move up one folder level in Open or Save dialog box
Esc: Close a dialog box
Num Lock Enabled + Plus (+): Display the contents of the selected folder
Num Lock Enabled + Minus (-): Collapse the selected folder
Num Lock Enabled + Asterisk (*): Expand all subfolders under the selected folder
Press Shift 5 times Turn StickyKeys on or off
Hold down right Shift for 8 seconds Turn FilterKeys on or off
Hold down Num Lock for 5 seconds Turn ToggleKeys on or off

Gorki247

So any word on when (or even if) we'll see an official Youtube app? Would make Win8 perfect.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Google to deliver. YouTube+ and YouTube RT are currently the best third-party apps out there. Both are paid apps, although the YouTube + trial is the full app with minor ad-support.

verbum

From that Winbeta site:

According to this CTO, apps are 15%-20% faster and there is a "noticeable difference" on Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. "Any app that runs on Windows 7 runs better on Windows 8," he stated. We all know Windows 8 utilizes less memory and boots faster as well but this CTO loves how responsive the operating system is. This CTO is also planning on purchasing thousands of Surface tablets for the company, rather than iPads, since Office comes natively and there is Flash support. Although many will agree that most businesses will not upgrade to Windows 8 right away, the CTO, however, believes that many businesses will indeed upgrade to Windows 8 because there is the ability to use Windows 7 apps in desktop mode. As far as learning Windows 8 goes, he believes, "Windows 8 drives you batty for exactly four hours … seriously. Get yourself a Surface and it takes you a day to get used to keyboard and it takes about four hours to learn the touch interface."
Source: Business Insider

I don't know if I agree with the 4 hours, I'm still learning stuff (or maybe I should have eaten more carrots as a child).

I don't understand this at all, to me Windows 8 is just a more optimized 7, I spend 99% of my time on the desktop and barely ever use the start screen at all.

Maybe instead of posting crap like that you should actually say what you don't like about it?
Metro ui sucks. It dosnt feel like an Desktop OS. The desktop is kinda like Windows 7 but without a Start button but you have to go to the metro shit and switch between them. Its a mess. I stick to Windows 7 and enjoy a system that has more freedom.

Echoplx

Metro ui sucks. It dosnt feel like an Desktop OS. The desktop is kinda like Windows 7 but without a Start button but you have to go to the metro shit and switch between them. Its a mess. I stick to Windows 7 and enjoy a system that has more freedom.

Download one of the many applications which put the start menu back in and your problem is solved.

Regardless though, the start menu functions the same as it always has for me, just has a fancier interface now, treating it like a separate OS is stupid; hit Windows key, start typing what you want, hit enter and it opens, guess I just don't care as much *shrug*

As for freedom? idontevenknowwhatyou'retalkingaboutanymore

Everything you can do on 7 you can do on 8.

grate

Hmm ok, its actually not stopping, its lowering the volume about 90% so I can barely hear it. When I click back to xbox music it goes back to the same volume. Is this a setting somewhere?

Checking.

*edit.. nope still doing same thing.
Do you have Steam and Xbox music running at the same time by chance?

I ran into this today when I Steam and had Xbox Music playing. It seems other people our running into it too... appears to be a bug. Restarting Steam while Xbox music is playing fixes it. But launching some games causes it to occur again.

Having Communications set to 'Do Nothing' in Sound Settings isn't fixing it for others reporting the problem either. Hopefully MS/Valve figure out what is causing it to occur.

Try moving your cursor to the lower left corner and click the right mouse button. It solved many of my problems with the metro ui.

SeanR1221

So looking around it is pretty unusual my Windows folder is 20GB.

Any tips on how to reduce this? I did disk clean up but that only got rid of like 128MB.

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 I've been unable to access the online on Halo 2. I'm connected to GFWL ,but both the LIVE and Network title are grayed out. This has been the only game with issues since I upgraded and I'm able to play online on other GFWL games. Does anyone else have this problem?

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu317/Death31133/H2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Try downloading the GFWL client. I needed to download it to get fallout 3 working.

[url=]http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/downloadclient[/url]

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Weird. Intel RAID tray icon sometimes doesn't show up. That's not comforting.

I may try disabling fast startup until SP1 because it seems drivers don't always play nice with it.

A more trivial thing is that starting up at day after "shutting down" at night, FLUX remains in night mode until I reach desktop.

teh_pwn

More freedom? Having the option to go to the Windows store in Windows 8 while maintaining all of the functionality of 7 plus being faster is less free? You don't have to go to the store. I almost never do.

teh_pwn

So looking around it is pretty unusual my Windows folder is 20GB.

Any tips on how to reduce this? I did disk clean up but that only got rid of like 128MB.

In CMD:
powercfg -h off

That disables hibernation, which deletes a really fucking large file that's typically around the side of your RAM. I'm not doing it though with all of the stuff they changed to shutdown that I don't understand yet.

Other than that avoid software that requires a bunch of different .NET versions with SxS DLLs.

More practically, get a bigger HDD.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm very torn at the moment. Essentially just using the "classic" desktop, in which case it begs the question why am I even using 8 when I'm not using the Metro UI.

Lucifon

This is seriously starting to annoy me now, interested to know if others have been running into the same issue.

When a process becomes unresponsive for whatever reason task manager will not allow me to end it - "access denied". I've googled all over and all I've found is using tasklist in cmd and forcekilling the process there, however even that doesn't work.

Literally the only way to get rid of the process is to fully reboot my system. I've tried multiple task processor tools, none can kill it. I've got VLC.exe sat there now unable to be killed, an hour ago I had Natural Selection 2's executible sit there hogging 1.2 gig of RAM after I closed the game, no way to kill it. Had to reboot.

I've also got Windows Defender turned off, with Action Center complaining about it. It also says Norton is turned off, when it isnt. Everything was fine and dandy for days but now I'm running into some serious issues with the OS...

SeanR1221

In CMD:
powercfg -h off

That disables hibernation, which deletes a really fucking large file that's typically around the side of your RAM. I'm not doing it though with all of the stuff they changed to shutdown that I don't understand yet.

Other than that avoid software that requires a bunch of different .NET versions with SxS DLLs.

More practically, get a bigger HDD.

Damn, guess I just wont worry about it then.

Next question: Xbox Music.

The pass is just for mobile/xbox, correct?

It was my understanding the PC verison was free streaming with ads. Why are some songs only 30 second previews? Sometimes within the same artist. Any shared playlists like Spotify?

teh_pwn

I'm very torn at the moment. Essentially just using the "classic" desktop, in which case it begs the question why am I even using 8 when I'm not using the Metro UI.

Desktop is Windows 7 with lots of minor improvements in several different areas. It also performs a bit faster too. That is enough of a reason for me.

For HTPCs, metro with large DPI is so much better than the start menu.

I do use a few metro apps. Calendar has replaced my physical one because I don't have to manage dates, I can plan months/years ahead, and I get reminders. Though the reminders could be improved.

When a process becomes unresponsive for whatever reason task manager will not allow me to end it - "access denied". I've googled all over and all I've found is using tasklist in cmd and forcekilling the process there, however even that doesn't work.

My guess is that something is messing up in the super secret real admin account. "Run Admin in Admin Approval Mode" makes you a 2nd class Admin, and disabling it unfortunately disables metro apps. This is my biggest criticism of Windows 8. Makes developing more tedious, but I haven't run across it at home.

Tuck

So any word on when (or even if) we'll see an official Youtube app? Would make Win8 perfect.

I'm sure its coming. Google has apps on iOS despite Android being their main concern. I'm sure a Youtube app is coming. Hopefully a maps app as well.

PG2G

Damn, guess I just wont worry about it then.

Next question: Xbox Music.

The pass is just for mobile/xbox, correct?

It was my understanding the PC verison was free streaming with ads. Why are some songs only 30 second previews? Sometimes within the same artist. Any shared playlists like Spotify?

It looks like they have the ability to mark songs as purchase only (won't work with free or paid pass) similar to how they can mark songs as album only (can only purchase if you purchase the whole album). Kind of annoying :/

Lucifon

My guess is that something is messing up in the super secret real admin account. "Run Admin in Admin Approval Mode" makes you a 2nd class Admin, and disabling it unfortunately disables metro apps. This is my biggest criticism of Windows 8. Makes developing more tedious, but I haven't run across it at home.

That's what I'm also under the impression too. I did try enabling that but like you say once I saw it disabled metro apps I didn't even bother to see if it solved the issue or not. I don't want to pointlessly lose a large chunk of the OS' features just because I want the ability to do what I had no problem doing in 7.

teh_pwn

That's what I'm also under the impression too. I did try enabling that but like you say once I saw it disabled metro apps I didn't even bother to see if it solved the issue or not. I don't want to pointlessly lose a large chunk of the OS' features just because I want the ability to do what I had no problem doing in 7.

I wonder if Windows 8 screws up programs privilege level if you install it with that policy disabled but then enable it.

You could try making the app that owns that process run as Admin for all users and keep the policy enabled.

bedlamite

I suppose people are undoubtedly finding it a little difficult to unlearn 17 years of operating MS WIndows. If you're looking at the Metro UI and are just completely lost in it, try to think of the enire UI as an expanded, blown-out Start button: it works as a launcher for your programs, but you're also able to throw up RSS feeds that provide updates right on the tile, you can pin Facebook contacts and have their statuses update on the tile. This live tile stuff is extremely versatile and I'm excited to see what developers will be able to do with it.

I think desktop users are having a harder go of it because a mouse isn't exactly the most intuitive input method for Win8 (I'm not saying it doesn't work, but even the most cursory use of the OS will tell you it's been designed for touch). MS doesn't look like its going to drop Metro anytime soon though, might as well suck it up and get the painful learning bit over and done with ASAP.

Top Bottom