• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Lucifon

I wonder if Windows 8 screws up programs privilege level if you install it with that policy disabled but then enable it.

You could try making the app that owns that process run as Admin for all users and keep the policy enabled.

Well turns out the issue is even bigger. NS2.exe and VLC.exe are still running after a full reboot... Any ideas?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well turns out the issue is even bigger. NS2.exe and VLC.exe are still running after a full reboot... Any ideas?

Go to classic control panel's power options. On the left is "Choose what the power buttons do". Go there

Then click the frivolous UAC "Change settings that are currently available" shield at the top.

Then uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". Shutdown. Power up.

From now on, shut down is like Windows 7. It takes longer, but the OS kernel will load fresh.

Fast startup is an awesome idea, but until drivers and even the OS stabilizes it's going to make bugs persist. I've decided to keep it disabled until SP1 because Intel's RAID software seems to sometimes go missing after fast startup. I want to know when my RAID volume is degraded and needs a replacement.

I think we forget that Windows OSes tend to be unstable until SP1. Windows 7 was an exception because it was basically Vista SP3 + optimizations + libraries + snap.

Also backing up a second, I'm not sure what processes you're trying to stop. Make sure they're not at startup (task manager tab).

LordAlu

The in-built music app has driven me mad for the past half hour trying to sort out playlists. I have two playlists in my Music Library - one for Albums and one for Compilations. Yet the music app refuses to see them and won't import them - if I try to open file it thinks for a minute and then says the file isn't supported, but it's only an M3U file, everything should support that :mad:

Lucifon

Go to classic control panel's power options. On the left is "Choose what the power buttons do". Go there

Then click the frivolous UAC "Change settings that are currently available" shield at the top.

Then uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". Shutdown. Power up.

From now on, shut down is like Windows 7. It takes longer, but the OS kernel will load fresh.

Fast startup is an awesome idea, but until drivers and even the OS stabilizes it's going to make bugs persist. I've decided to keep it disabled until SP1 because Intel's RAID software seems to sometimes go missing after fast startup. I want to know when my RAID volume is degraded and needs a replacement.

I think we forget that Windows OSes tend to be unstable until SP1. Windows 7 was an exception because it was basically Vista SP3 + optimizations + libraries + snap.

Also backing up a second, I'm not sure what processes you're trying to stop. Make sure they're not at startup (task manager tab).

Thankyou very much sir that got rid of them. A clean reboot is certainly needed to keep things fresh, hopefully that might stop some of these applications getting themselves in a twist - i've probably had a few days of stuff stuck in there.

The processes I were trying to stop in this case was VLC Media Player which crashed, and Natural Selection 2 which for some reason seemed to close fine but ended up sitting running in the background in my processes. Neither are startups, obviously.

Dynamic3

Using a Logitech mouse, and having my mouse speed in the W8 setting set to 0 every time I log in is really pissing me off.

Also, Steam not starting on boot is also pissing me off.

hwalker84

So lets say for example you go with the default out of the box Music app on Surface and W8. How do you edit mp3 tags? Add Album art?

PG2G

It doesn't look like there is a way to do that. The Xbox Music app needs a lot of work, both functionality and in performance.

It is surprising to me that you can't even rate songs. How can you try and compete with Pandora when you don't even collect any information from the user?

zedge

Do you have Steam and Xbox music running at the same time by chance?

I ran into this today when I Steam and had Xbox Music playing. It seems other people our running into it too... appears to be a bug. Restarting Steam while Xbox music is playing fixes it. But launching some games causes it to occur again.

Having Communications set to 'Do Nothing' in Sound Settings isn't fixing it for others reporting the problem either. Hopefully MS/Valve figure out what is causing it to occur.

Steam is running too. I will try this out and see if that works. Thanks!

Hopefully its something that is fixed if so.

on Windows 8 you can press Windows Key + Print screen and it automatically will put the screenshot in your pictures folder

can you press Windows Key + Alt + Print screen to do the same?

mind-blown-2.gif

So lets say for example you go with the default out of the box Music app on Surface and W8. How do you edit mp3 tags? Add Album art?

You can't, but there's an "automatically retrieve and update album art and metadata" option in the music player preferences (I believe it defaults to "on"). I'm not sure how it handles previously tagged files. I turned it off just to be safe.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So when I play the Win8 games and it has my name/avatar stuff in the top right corner. My avatar is a big "?". I have no way to add a profile picture it seems.

I have a fully made avatar from within the games area, but it doesn't change that box.

What am I missing?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I finally caved and upgraded to windows 8. So far, i like it. The mail feature is nice.

Check out Calendar. Just be sure to turn off birthday calendar if you're synced to social media because every day is somebody's birthday.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It doesn't look like there is a way to do that. The Xbox Music app needs a lot of work, both functionality and in performance.

It is surprising to me that you can't even rate songs. How can you try and compete with Pandora when you don't even collect any information from the user?

Seems like they were really in a rush to get it out in time, to be honest I'm really impressed with it from the music selection and basic functionality point of view. You're right though they need to iterate on it pretty quickly if its going to take any subscription money away from what's already out there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Finally, I put Windows 8 on my ultrabook. Frickin' amazing. I was doubtful after having a relatively bad experience with the consumer preview, but this is fantastic. I need to get updated drivers so I can use gestures on my trackpad, but even without them navigating is a breeze. Boot up times are ridiculous, and everything just zips.

This really feels like the future.

eso76

great, so the first attempt at installing win8 resulted in a crash.

Thankfully the system told me there was a problem and just painlessly reverted to win7.
Trying again with usb stick this time.

Does anyone know if the Lenovo Yoga can be upgraded? I just ordered one and would like to up the RAM and SSD. Would I be able to get games like TF2, CS, etc running on this?

eso76

F**k it happened again. Apparently the process hooks when installation wants to transfer my settings.
Any idea ? Besides doing a fresh install on a different partition, I mean.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
F**k it happened again. Apparently the process hooks when installation wants to transfer my settings.
Any idea ? Besides doing a fresh install on a different partition, I mean.

Do you have some sort of anti-virus installed? I know some people had issues upgrading if they did.

celebi23

I still haven't received my DreamSpark Premium info from IEEE. I sent them some emails and never heard a response back. I tried the live chat on their support page and they told me that apparently some of their offices are in NYC :/

MCD

Weird! I thought it was just my laptop having it off by default - "new" laptop. But it happens nearly every boot on my HP nw9440. Doesn't affect my desktop though.

Sadly, it is affecting my Desktop (ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula mobo + MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000).

eso76

Third attempt. Did not work.
I uninstalled avast, vnc and many other things I didn't really need atm, but towards the end the installation froze again, and I had to restart, after which os was reverted to 7 again.

No idea what the problem is. I would like to avoid doing a fresh install right now.

So when I play the Win8 games and it has my name/avatar stuff in the top right corner. My avatar is a big "?". I have no way to add a profile picture it seems.

I have a fully made avatar from within the games area, but it doesn't change that box.

What am I missing?
Go to xbox.com, sign in with your email/password that you use for your gamercard. Click on your profiles name, then click "Edit Avatar". Go to "Gamer Picture" and choose something, that should be displayed where the "?" currently is.

It may be possible to do it within the Xbox Live app, but I haven't personally needed to do it, so I'm not sure.

Top Bottom