• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Quick

Banned
If I make my Gmail a Microsoft Account, would my Outlook.com account still be usable as a separate e-mail account?

Rootbeer

Banned
What's everyone's favorite image viewer for Win 8 (desktop, not newui)?

I've always used IrfranView but I am thinking about moving to FastPictureViewer Pro. Ideas?

it needs to be fast and have plenty of advanced user features, like the ability to view embedded metadata, zooming in/out/reset, navigate folders, lots of format support

strata8

I've always used IrfranView but I am thinking about moving to FastPictureViewer Pro. Ideas?

it needs to be fast and have plenty of advanced user features, like the ability to view embedded metadata, zooming in/out/reset, navigate folders, lots of format support

I use XnViewMP.

Is there any way to easily change the titlebar color?

I'm using an all black taskbar and some genius at Microsoft assumed that the font on the titlebar should remain black on a black background.

Not my image, but my problem:

NETds.jpg

kaskade

I'm using an all black taskbar and some genius at Microsoft assumed that the font on the titlebar should remain black on a black background.

Not my image, but my problem:

Right click on desktop>personalize it should say color towards the bottom, switch it from automatic to whatever you'd like.

DamSea

F**k it happened again. Apparently the process hooks when installation wants to transfer my settings.
Any idea ? Besides doing a fresh install on a different partition, I mean.

Lucid's Virtu was the problem I had when upgrading. Had to uninstall it. Went without a hitch afterward.

So network sharing seemed to stop working tonight for no apparent reason at all.

I use my desktop to stream media to my laptop/girlfriend's laptop + xbox/ps3 and for whatever reason none of those devices are capable of connecting to my desktop anymore. They're all in the same Homegroup and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

I've tried a few things tonight, and none of them worked, so if anyone has any ideas of suggestions I'll be glad to attempt them tomorrow. Going to bed for now though.

Yet another hiccup that seems to have fixed itself :?

eso76

Lucid's Virtu was the problem I had when upgrading. Had to uninstall it. Went without a hitch afterward.

Tried uninstalling msi afterburner, gpuz, flashget, avast, vnc...
i only have CS6 suite and lightroom 4 installed, a couple AE plugins, not much else actually, since it's a rather fresh install anyway.
Oh, i have a few games, though. Sleeping dogs, NFS Hot Pursuit, Steam, with the whole half life 2 package. Will try uninstalling those.

golem

I use Faststone

surly

Banned

That's one of the small issues that bugs me too as I like to use dark colours in Windows! Hopefully they'll fix it and either allow you to change the colour of the text, or have it change automatically to adapt to the titlebar colour.

There's a thread about it on the official Windows 8 forum: -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rk-theme/4baa108e-56f7-4654-8750-9fc18f9d2c2f

Perhaps add a comment and hit the "me too" button on the first post and if enough people do it, hopefully they'll pay attention and fix it.

surly

Banned
D4Danger said:
can you press Windows Key + Alt + Print screen to do the same?
Nope. That's one of the first things I tried when I found out about the Windows key + Print Screen thing. It would be handy if it worked though!

I dunno if anyone else can confirm this, but if you bought a full version of Windows 7 and had it installed on your PC, then you upgraded that PC to Windows 8, it seems that the Windows 7 license is still active which means that you can either use it on another machine or give away/sell your boxed copy of Windows 7. MS were clearly not doing any license checking, because I upgraded a laptop that was running Ubuntu, which obviously would not qualify for the Windows 8 upgrade, yet Windows 8 installed and activated just fine.

nan0

Are you guys running into any issues with games and drivers?

Worth upgrading before service pack 1?

I don't have any issues. Runs like Win7. There likely won't be any Service Packs anymore, since Microsoft plans on delivering more frequent "general updates" that add features and improve compatibility.

I've had issues with my Creative sound card driver. X-Fi Fatality thing I bought in 2007. I switched to onboard sound on the system I just built this past week, which is probably just as good if not better, and haven't had any issues.

Other than that, everything has been good. I do have a question also, though. The intel RAID/SSD drivers. Is it best to try to track one of those down and use it instead of the MSFT ones? I've heard systems perform better with the intel drivers.

DamSea

Tried uninstalling msi afterburner, gpuz, flashget, avast, vnc...
i only have CS6 suite and lightroom 4 installed, a couple AE plugins, not much else actually, since it's a rather fresh install anyway.
Oh, i have a few games, though. Sleeping dogs, NFS Hot Pursuit, Steam, with the whole half life 2 package. Will try uninstalling those.

I doubt it is a game. I also have Steam and that was no problem. It is likely a program or device that has a service that starts when Windows starts.

surly

Banned

No issues with games here.

I had 1 issue with drivers. When I installed Windows 8, drivers for all of my hardware were installed automatically, except for my Traktor Audio 6 sound card (an external sound card I use for DJing). The network card drivers that Windows 8 installed were buggy and caused 2 network cards to show up in Device Manager instead of one and which network card was in use changed at random every time I booted up Windows. I fixed that by just downloading the latest official driver direct from Intel - a Windows 7 driver, but it installed just fine and fixed the dual network card issue.

The sole issue I've had with software is with Traktor Scratch Pro - some DJ software that I use. When I exit the program it remains running and has to be force closed in Task Manager. Other than that, all of the software I was using on Windows 7 works fine on Windows 8.

I think it's worth upgrading. It's certainly not a buggy mess or desperately in need of a service pack or anything like that. But neither is it going to blow you away as an amazing new OS if you're running Windows 7. It's like an improved version of Windows 7 with a smartphone-style app store and start screen added to it. But considering the cost of the upgrade, I say go for it.

DMczaf

After a month with Windows 8, I can honestly say it's the complete opposite of what all the negative hype it had leading up to release.

Sometimes I really hate the media.

longdi

Banned
Have iso in front of me wanting to upgrade but then i saw a few benchmarks where w8 is slower than w7, some games are affected too.

Decided to hold off for now. But for the free Media center, can i activate it with w8 on another spare hdd now so in near future when i install w8 for real, i still have the media center?

I also want to know if windows will actually improve in speed with future patches or it is down to improvements on the program/apps side only?

rukland

I find that the media not negative enough on Windows 8. It's garbage.

Dude GTFO if you're not even going to explain why you think it's garbage (which it's not)

Agree here if you are going to just spout FUD and not explain anything then GTFO. I was really down on Windows 8 but took the plunge anyways. And I am loving it on my desktop. Sure there have been a few hiccups but nothing that made me regret becoming an early adopter.

SUPARSTARX

Did you guys upgrade for the sake of it? Contemplating on an upgrade sometime in the future hardware wise. I figure I might want to go for W8 too if I were to do it.

I find that the media not negative enough on Windows 8. It's garbage.

I’m really curious too. Why do you think its garbage? Is it from personal experience? Do you get the feeling just by looking at it that it just won't work? Some have expressed such logical equivocations such as if it works on a tablet then it's not good for the desktop because tablets aren't desktops. Others have complained about it taking anywhere between 0.33 to a full 1.5 seconds in addition to an extra click to shut down the system which made their computer usage demonstrably more inefficient. Some just don't like how the replace of the start button makes them feel. They feel marginalized as Windows users. Because of these and many other reasons, some have vowed they'll be moving to alternate platforms such as Mac OS and Linux. I suppose all these feelings are valid since a person is in fact feeling them. I may not agree with their logic but my impressions have nothing to do with it. The relationship between a user and their OS is an intimate thing. I just hope you will be able to shed some light on your motivation, if for nothing else, to help steer others who may empathize with you to steer clear of the pain you've gone through.

Dude GTFO if you're not even going to explain why you think it's garbage (which it's not)

Didn't know I was required to explain why. No start button, I have to take my hands off the mouse and type to find stuff unless I want to click more than needed to get where I want to go. The apps list is horribly laid out. No complete customization of metro, what replaced aero is horrid and is a design nightmare with all that empty space blocking everything. It's a step back in usability if you don't have a touch screen, and even then it's not uniform to how a desktop should be used to get to the things you need in a minimum amount of action.

You want me to go on? This crap is self evident and doesn't need explaining. GTFO if you think I need to.

surly

Banned
Did you guys upgrade for the sake of it?
I hadn't planned on upgrading. I tried the first preview version for a couple of weeks and didn't really like it, so at that point I decided to stick with Windows 7.

When Windows 8 first went on sale, I upgraded my dad's laptop for him. I played around with it for a few hours and changed my mind about it, so I bought a copy for my desktop. It was kind of an upgrade just for the sake of it, cos outside of a few apps that I've downloaded, I'm not doing anything different from when I had Windows 7 installed.

bluerei said:
No start button, I have to take my hands off the mouse and type to find stuff unless I want to click more than needed. The apps list is horribly laid out.
It's easy enough to customise the apps list and tidy it up. All I've done is put shortcuts to the software I use often on the Metro screen/taskbar, then I use the "All apps" list for the stuff I need, but rarely use.

bluerei said:
what replaced aero is horrid and is a design nightmare with all that empty space blocking everything
Preferring the Aero look I could certainly understand, but "all that empty space blocking everything"? I can't relate to that at all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Didn't know I was required to explain why. No start button, I have to take my hands off the mouse and type to find stuff unless I want to click more than needed to get where I want to go. The apps list is horribly laid out. No complete customization of metro, what replaced aero is horrid and is a design nightmare with all that empty space blocking everything. It's a step back in usability if you don't have a touch screen, and even then it's not uniform to how a desktop should be used.

You want me to go on? This crap is self evident and doesn't need explaining. GTFO if you think I need to.

The crap seems mostly incorrect too. I don't have to take my hands off the mouse to launch anything since I have what I use pinned, you can customize your Metro tiles with a small app and I have no idea what you're talking about empty space.

Didn't know I was required to explain why. No start button, I have to take my hands off the mouse and type to find stuff unless I want to click more than needed to get where I want to go. The apps list is horribly laid out. No complete customization of metro, what replaced aero is horrid and is a design nightmare with all that empty space blocking everything. It's a step back in usability if you don't have a touch screen, and even then it's not uniform to how a desktop should be used to get to the things you need in a minimum amount of action.

I just wanted to quote this.

Jobiensis

I find the excuse 'if you don't go into the start screen' to be a tad bit disingenuous as that is a major part of the OS UI.

Anyhow, I upgraded my Win7 to Win8 pro on my MBA. Figured I'd bite at the $15 price, $40 is already a steal for those of us that need to join a domain.

Are gestures supposed to work? or do I need to wait for new Bootcamp drivers? That's disappointing, but not that big of a deal. The power management seems borked though, goes into jet engine mode after a half hour of very mild activity. May have to live with it for the next couple of months till Apple updates Boot camp.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Did you guys upgrade for the sake of it? Contemplating on an upgrade sometime in the future hardware wise. I figure I might want to go for W8 too if I were to do it.

Grab a key now, at the reduced price, and then hang onto it until you're ready to upgrade.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

i agree that the all application/programs screen can be a mess with desktop application. They need folders for them imo. It is less or the same clicks though compared to the start menu. I haven't used the start menu (as in the menu) much since vista added search so it doesn't bother me. And i agree that the ui is probably better with touch and the desktop is still the king of mouse input but the new ui works fine for mouse imo. If you are concerned about losing a few seconds of productivity then i suggest learning keyboard shortcuts. That is the ultimate way to use windows (any version) if you want to get around the fastest. And aero, that is just a personal preference, i like the new stuff.

Top Bottom