• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

DamSea

Have iso in front of me wanting to upgrade but then i saw a few benchmarks where w8 is slower than w7, some games are affected too.

Decided to hold off for now. But for the free Media center, can i activate it with w8 on another spare hdd now so in near future when i install w8 for real, i still have the media center?

I also want to know if windows will actually improve in speed with future patches or it is down to improvements on the program/apps side only?

I would think once you have a key, you don't necessarily have to install it. I don't think they expire.

The crap seems mostly incorrect too. I don't have to take my hands off the mouse to launch anything since I have what I use pinned, you can customize your Metro tiles with a small app and I have no idea what you're talking about empty space.

The large and empty space above the window, where aero used to show transparency.

Also, having your applications showing up as large tiles instead of tiny 32x32 icons or a drop down list of that family of applications– again, good for touch, but pointless without. Even having to switch to another screen to see your content is unnecessary.

Having to go and pin each one of your applications to make it easily available on Metro is another user design flaw. That was the one nice thing about the start menu, you click it, go to programs and everything was there and only expanded on mouse over. Especially for me with a ton of pc applications, it's a pain scrolling through Metro's show-all list of apps. The type-to-search thing is nice in finding apps, but you shouldn't have to take your hand off the mouse to scroll through a ton of things to find what you want.

Basically, it was easier with the start menu from windows 7 right out the box. Taking it out was unnecessary and feels like they wanted to force people to use their new interface style instead of allowing for options for those without a touch screen.

He obviously hasn't used it or only used it for a couple of minutes.
I wouldn't be able to list all these things if I used it for just a couple of minutes.

MrBig

The large and empty space above the window, where aero used to show transparency.

Also, having your applications showing up as large tiles instead of tiny 32x32 icons or a drop down list of that family of applications– again, good for touch, but pointless without. Even having to switch to another screen to see your content is unnecessary.

Having to go and pin each one of your applications to make it easily available on Metro is another user design flaw. That was the one nice thing about the start menu, you click it, go to programs and everything was there and only expanded on mouse over. Especially for me with a ton of pc applications, it's a pain scrolling through Metro's show-all list of apps. The type-to-search thing is nice in finding apps, but you shouldn't have to take your hand off the mouse to scroll through a ton of things to find what you want.

Basically, it was easier with the start menu from windows 7 right out the box. Taking it out was unnecessary and feels like they wanted to force people to use their new interface style instead of allowing for options for those without a touch screen.

Visual design aside the start screen functions exactly like the start menu. When you install an application it auto pins a shortcut exactly as in <W8. The entire process for pinning applications is exactly the same as before and there is really no change.

The only functionality that has really been changed, and this is what you can really complain about, is having to explicitly search for files now, as search defaults to apps only when you start typing on the start screen, as opposed to searching control panel, apps, and files when you start typing on the start menu.

Still have no idea what you mean about the difference in Aero. IIRC default settings still have transparency, and you can edit the settings in Personalization. I use the basic theme myself because the transparcy/aero is visually disgusting in Vista/W7/W8.

derFeef

What do you mean?
You can see what the update does before you update unless the maker of the app didn't put any details.

It did not show anything, in the store there is now the "new version info" (youtube+ btw.) but the update page was the buttons of the two apps I needed to checkmark, then install, and that was it.

Visual design aside the start screen functions exactly like the start menu. When you install an application it auto pins a shortcut exactly as in <W8. The entire process for pinning applications is exactly the same as before and there is really no change.

The only functionality that has really been changed, and this is what you can really complain about, is having to explicitly search for files now, as search defaults to apps only when you start typing on the start screen, as opposed to searching control panel, apps, and files when you start typing on the start menu.

Still have no idea what you mean about the difference in Aero.

I'll take a screenshot when I get home. Those icons don't auto pin if you are upgrading from 7 to 8 though where programs were previously installed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It did not show anything, in the store there is now the "new version info" (youtube+ btw.) but the update page was the buttons of the two apps I needed to checkmark, then install, and that was it.

The default is that all updates are checked.

If you check one single update (IE uncheck all other updates), there will be an additional option next to install called "Information" or something like that. Click that, and you'll see the changelog notes for the one application you've selected.

It's not ideal, especially if you have multiple updates, but there you have it.

MrBig

Those icons don't auto pin if you are upgrading from 7 to 8 though where programs were previously installed.

Ah, that's what you were getting at. I guess that's just a bug with upgrading to W8. I would have assumed all your applications would have carried over their pinned status as well. Oh well, take a few minutes to set them up again and you won't have to bother with it again.

Ydahs

Out of curiosity, do you pin applications to your task bar? I mean, a decently sized monitor should be able to accommodate 20+ pinned icons in the task bar, which is where all my frequently used apps go. I did that back in Windows 7, which led me to using the start menu a lot less even then. I'll be using Metro tiles only for Metro apps and Steam games.

Everything else I can access by pressing the Windows key and typing. It's pretty much the same thing as Windows 7, except that explicitly separating search into Apps (Win+Q), Settings (Win+W) and Files (Win+F) makes it a lot better. It would be nice if Apps were better structured in the search list though. The OS is still in its infancy, so there's some chance MS might add it in later on.

Throw in Win+X for quick access to admin tools and my need for a traditional start menu is no longer needed. It took time to adapt, but I think Windows 8 is a much better experience than Windows 7 overall.

Out of curiosity, do you pin applications to your task bar? I mean, a decently sized monitor should be able to accommodate 20+ pinned icons in the task bar, which is where all my frequently used apps go. I did that back in Windows 7, which led me to using the start menu a lot less even then. I'll be using Metro tiles only for Metro apps and Steam games.

Everything else I can access by pressing the Windows key and typing. It's pretty much the same thing as Windows 7, except that explicitly separating search into Apps (Win+Q), Settings (Win+W) and Files (Win+F) makes it a lot better. It would be nice if Apps were better structured in the search list though. The OS is still in its infancy, so there's some chance MS might add it in later on.

Throw in Win+X for quick access to admin tools and my need for a traditional start menu is no longer needed. It took time to adapt, but I think Windows 8 is a much better experience than Windows 7 overall.

Rocketdock. Clears up the clutter, auto hides, expands on roll-over, and doesn't take up room on the task bar that could be used for tabs. One of the only features I like about OS X is the ease of drop-in/out of the dock. All without having to take your hand off the mouse to type. It's especially good when you don't have a hi-res monitor or using a low-res laptop.

I just wish that MS gave options to go back to what the user feels is most efficient for them instead of forcing a feature that really isn't much faster and in some instances, worse than before. Even Stardock is selling a third-party application that allows you to get the win 7 start menu back and is showing that some users just want windows 8 to be what they are used to on win 7 with features added, not taken away.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oh nice. But is that a full edition or upgrade? I can do fresh installs with this one off the website?

I did a clean install on a Bootcamp partition of my Macbook Pro with the 'Upgrade' edition, no Win 7 key required.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Is there a hack/way to use Internet Explorer Metro but still keep Google Chrome as the default browser? Also, to make Google the search engine in IE Metro?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anyone authenticate remotely using your Microsoft account credentials? I added a local account as a back door, but apparently forgot to make it an admin so I can't connect to my home PC remotely. Is there a specific syntax for authenticating with your Microsoft account, or does that even work remotely?

jagowar

Anyone authenticate remotely using your Microsoft account credentials? I added a local account as a back door, but apparently forgot to make it an admin so I can't connect to my home PC remotely. Is there a specific syntax for authenticating with your Microsoft account, or does that even work remotely?

I just use teamviewer now for remote access.... much easier to setup/configure and their apps are excellent (even just added a touch version for metro which works very well).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
still not used to the new sounds for USB plugging/unplugging.
I really like them.

It's funny .. They were totally different in the preview releases... I guess they tried a bunch of different ones before settling.

Oozer3993

Is there any particular reason why my laptop suddenly has:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
Build 9200

zpktK.jpg

in the bottom right corner? And how do I get rid of it? I bought this W8 license just a couple days ago directly from the Upgrade Assistant, so it should be a legitimate license. That watermark wasn't there until I added Media Center just now.

surly

Banned
Tried that. It didn't work, the watermark is still there.
You didn't request more than 1 key for the Media Center pack using the same email address did you? Because if you did, MS will have sent the same key every time and that's what's caused the issue - the same key has been used on more than one machine. If that's the case, you need to request a new key using an email address you haven't used before, then you can license Windows 8 like this: -

1. Right-click in the bottom-left corner of the screen and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu that appears.

2. Type in "slui 3" without quotes and hit Enter.

3. The activation screen will appear and you can enter in the new key and re-activate Windows.

This happened to me a few days ago.

If that's not the cause, just do the activation over the phone and that'll fix it too.

VertPin

Would anyone here like to explain to me what the point in upgrading is to Win8 from Win7Pro? Just a change in GUI and slightly faster performance? Really bummed out that this OS is all that seems to come with :/

Animator

Can someone explain to me how to have all apps open desktop versions when I click on links? Especially with chrome, I want it to stop opening the metro version when I click on a link from a metro app but have no idea how to set this up.

Also my internet explorer straight up stopped working, it doesnt load any web page and I can't even access its options, it is greyed out.

Jzero

Would anyone here like to explain to me what the point in upgrading is to Win8 from Win7Pro? Just a change in GUI and slightly faster performance? Really bummed out that this OS is all that seems to come with :/
Yea that's mostly it. The addition of the App Store is the main addition. You really shouldn't upgrade if you don't see anything worth upgrading for.

You can install the test version in the OP and try it yourself.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-review-part-1-desktop-144218
Can someone explain to me how to have all apps open desktop versions when I click on links? Especially with chrome, I want it to stop opening the metro version when I click on a link from a metro app but have no idea how to set this up.

Also my internet explorer straight up stopped working, it doesnt load any web page and I can't even access its options, it is greyed out.
only the default browser can have a metro version. And in IE10 (desktop-options) you can change how links open. Not sure if chrome has this yet.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

New file copy system which allows you to pause file copies and provides accurate time estimates with graphs. It also combines multiple file copies into 1 window for easy management.

Much improved task manager which provides far more information as well as better laid out information.

Storage spaces allows you to merge multiple hard drives into a single partition and allows you to dynamically add or remove storage from the space. So you can plug in a USB thumb drive and add it to your storage space if you want to.

Better resources management and a smaller footprint than Windows 7.

Better multi-monitor support. You can have different wallpapers on each monitor or span wallpapers across all your monitors. Taskbars can now be shown on all the monitors and can be set to show all open apps or only apps running on that monitor.

Native USB 3 drivers.

Native support for mounting ISO files.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how I could I forget the Win+X menu. That's one of the best features of Windows 8.

power-user-menu2.jpg;pv71f5dbb6cc46901d

Is there any particular reason why my laptop suddenly has:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
Build 9200

zpktK.jpg

in the bottom right corner? And how do I get rid of it? I bought this W8 license just a couple days ago directly from the Upgrade Assistant, so it should be a legitimate license. That watermark wasn't there until I added Media Center just now.

That shouldn't be there... only Baby should be there.

I like the new sound set for 8, it's nice and smooth to my ears.

As an aside, do people who've done fresh installs still have the special MIDIs in their Windows/Media folder (onestop, town, and flourish)?

ymmv

Banned

There are a few handy features: new task manager, Hyper-V, better driver support. I've installed Classic Shell so I don't have to see the Metro start screen and so far Windows 8 feels like Windows 7 SP2 with a slightly different UI. (It's a good thing though I paid only $15, it's not worth more for what it brings extra compared to its predecessor)

Totakeke

I'm guessing that RT is a decision they made three years ago not knowing how the mobile landscape will turn out.

But hey! Apple considering a switch out of Intel for their Macs.

Bloomberg said:
As handheld devices increasingly function like PCs, the engineers working on this project within Apple envision machines that use a common chip design. If Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook wants to offer the consumer of 2017 and beyond a seamless experience on laptops, phones, tablets and televisions, it will be easier to build if all the devices have a consistent underlying chip architecture, according to one of the people.

Five years head start then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ RT tablets will be like half the cost of Pro tablets. You can't compete with iOS and Android with Pro alone.

Top Bottom