• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Atom tablets are basically the same price as RT tablets. Just as thin, about 8hrs battery life, and better performance along with support for x86 applications.
Ahh, I see. "the more you know".

I'm guessing that RT is a decision they made three years ago not knowing how the mobile landscape will turn out.

But hey! Apple considering a switch out of Intel for their Macs.

Five years head start then.

They couldn't wrap up their share of computing market in a nicer wrapping paper and hand it off to their competitors if they did that.

Just like when they did for PPC? Apple never cared that much for legacy support anyway.

Moving from the PPC to the Intel helped them because they were moving to that platform. I don't think making like Moses and exiting the x86 platform will serve them well at all. They'll be like "let my people go" and will be shocked when they find that some of their people are comfortable the Egyptian life.

strata8

Questioning the need for RT at this point.

51427.png

Looking forward to what Bay Trail offers next year.

Where did you get that graph from?

Anyway, RT exists because otherwise Intel would have a complete monopoly on Windows machines. AMD is pretty much out of the game but the competition is really strong on the ARM side.

Culex

Banned
I've been playing around with the apps, and so far, i like the face-book features of the messaging app. It's cool that it's integrated, and I hope it's gets more robust (more facebook inegration) in the future.

venne

Where did you get that graph from?

Anyway, RT exists because otherwise Intel would have a complete monopoly on Windows machines. AMD is pretty much out of the game but the competition is really strong on the ARM side.

Twitter.

Review is coming soon.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Questioning the need for RT at this point.

51427.png

Looking forward to what Bay Trail offers next year.

absolutely can't wait for the whole review.
if general web and metro performance is better on the Samsung then the surface RT that will be fantastic news, which I've been hopeful of.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
They already had this thread a few days ago.
lol
absolutely can't wait for the whole review.
if general web and metro performance is better on the Samsung then the surface RT that will be fantastic news, which I've been hopeful of.
seems like that will be the case. I was really only worried about battery life, the performance I have always suspected would be better than tegra 3.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Who gives a fuck?

Anyone who plays games like serious sam will no that the Windows Store is not the place to get games or whatever the fuck he is crying about and MS are not going to lock out the desktop.

Just a bunch of children crying over a bit of change.
yeah I don't really care about it. The desktop isn't going anywhere so there is nothing to worry about. I would prefer for Microsoft to open up the new stuff though and keep security somehow. Hopefully they find a way.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Valve needs to make Black Mesa windows 8 store compliant..give it away for free and fill the game with links to Steampowered.com to install a real games client for windows 8

I already know who the person who will post it is :p

Commander Riker.

How did you guys miss this epic thread?

Do you not even understand what a program environment is?

Just because you can use it for shortcuts to desktop programs does not mean Metro programs are not forced to go via the windows store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498468

Dina

I'm using Win8 in a dual monitor setup.

So whenever I try to launch something from the Metro interface, be it Chrome or Steam or Games or Filezilla, the Metro interface closes. This is especially infuriating since I want certain apps (Spotify, Chrome) to launch on my second window. And they do, but Metro still disappears whenever an app is the focus. Is there a way to pin the Metro to a screen and have it not disappear? Cause I want to get used to Metro, it looks nice with Oblytile, but if it just disappears I might as well not bother with it and use the usual desktop instead.

Dualscreen taskbar support in Win 8 has been good, but this function is sorely missing. Can anyone help me?

Totakeke

So whenever I try to launch something from the Metro interface, be it Chrome or Steam or Games or Filezilla, the Metro interface closes. This is especially infuriating since I want certain apps (Spotify, Chrome) to launch on my second window. And they do, but Metro still disappears whenever an app is the focus. Is there a way to pin the Metro to a screen and have it not disappear? Cause I want to get used to Metro, it looks nice with Oblytile, but if it just disappears I might as well not bother with it and use the usual desktop instead.

Dualscreen taskbar support in Win 8 has been good, but this function is sorely missing. Can anyone help me?

Just open up metro by using the corners on whichever monitor you want it to be on.

Dina

Just open up metro by using the corners on whichever monitor you want it to be on.

That doesn't really solve my problem. Whenever I launch something else from Metro, it disappears again. It also disppears when interacting with apps on my second screen, say Spotify or Chrome. Which I do all the time. I want Metro to stay open without having to do another click every time I decide to use the other screen.

Dunlop

Yeah that is my biggest gripe as well,I would love to be able to pin the start page to my second monitor but no dice :-(

Don't think this will ever be possible

Totakeke

That doesn't really solve my problem. Whenever I launch something else from Metro, it disappears again. It also disppears when interacting with apps on my second screen, say Spotify or Chrome. Which I do all the time. I want Metro to stay open without having to do another click every time I decide to use the other screen.

Metro is supposed to stay open when you don't interact with the screen it is on.

If I'm understanding correctly, you guys want a behavior for Metro to launch apps/software onto the other screen where Metro isn't on? Yeah, I don't think there's that behavior yet.

eso76

sob, i'm still unable to install.
everything goes well until the last few moments when..it doesn't.
it just hangs and i'm forced to restart, then reverts back to win7.

Maybe i could try installing on my vista laptop first.

derFeef

sob, i'm still unable to install.
everything goes well until the last few moments when..it doesn't.
it just hangs and i'm forced to restart, then reverts back to win7.

Maybe i could try installing on my vista laptop first.

May I ask what hard drive setup you have?

Dina

Metro is supposed to stay open when you don't interact with the screen it is on.

If I'm understanding correctly, you guys want a behavior for Metro to launch apps/software onto the other screen where Metro isn't on? Yeah, I don't think there's that behavior yet.

Oh no, that is on. If I launch Google Chrome (just the software, not any metro specific apps) through Metro it opens up fine on the second screen. It remembers where it was last, so that's fine.

What we want is for Metro to stay visible on a screen (monitor 1 in my case). Much like the original Start button, Metro disappears whenever you launch something (that is not a Metro-style app). It also disappears whenever you interact with any piece of software, also like the original Start button. But the Start button was part of the desktop, while this Metro interface could very well be a permanent 'window' where you pin everything you want to launch. This is sadly not possible (yet?). Googling has brought me nothing. It probably doesn't exist yet, so either suck it up right now or wait for a third-party solution.

Totakeke

Oh no, that is on. If I launch Google Chrome (just the software, not any metro specific apps) through Metro it opens up fine on the second screen. It remembers where it was last, so that's fine.

What we want is for Metro to stay visible on my screen. Much like the original Start button, it disappears whenever you launch something (that is not a Metro-style app). However, Googling has brought me nothing. It probably doesn't exist yet, so either suck it up right now or wait for a third-party solution.

I'm guessing you guys with this problem because you pin a number of desktop software onto the Metro start screen. My solution is I just put most of the Desktop stuff onto Desktop and leave the start screen for Metro. The start screen behavior never bothered me with my setup, it stays where I want it to. But then I don't really use that many desktop software most of the time.

eso76

May I ask what hard drive setup you have?

Nothing fancy, an old-ish 2tb WD (sata1) as primary and another 1tb sata hdd.
Primary should have been a 1tb samsung f3, but the one they sent me was defective and i still have to send it back for a replacement.
i'll have to do a fresh install at some point anyway, but it will take some time.

Printer's card reader is generally detected as removable device even when there's nothing in the slot, now that i think of it. Grasping for straws maybe, but i'll try turning it off completely.

Top Bottom