• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

jagowar

Yeah. I just hope some more XBLA-titles like Hydro Thunder will find its way to the W8-Store like Shadow Complex.

I don't think they will at least with the current xbox.... probably going to have to wait for the next xbox and its rumored companion tablet for that kind of gaming when hopefully both have a similar development platform.

Hydro Thunder for instance only runs smooth on surface if you down the settings to 50%. Toy Soldiers is also in the store but only for x86 processors.

We need a tablet dedicated to running games that has more powerful hardware and a common platform for tablet and console which hopefully will happen for the next xbox.

Salamndar

OK, I have been using windows 8 Pro 64bit " System builder edition" for 4 days now.
Here are my takes on it so far:

1- I so Love the GUI of windows 8 except Metro start menu it is horrible and unusable when you use Nvidia sround over 3 monitors.

2- Amazing boot speed, it takes me almost 50% less time to boot into windows 8 compared to windows 7

3- Drivers are still immature and had a hard time with my auzentech Hometheater HD sound card and my logitech G19 keyboard.

4- I can't use Matrox Powerdesk with windows 8 rendering my triple monitor nvidia surround a total horrible experience in windows 8.

5- installing Start8 and using it brings a familiar ground yet so much enjoyable over metro start menu. " I recommend you buy it guys"

6- Browsing is so slow in windows 8 and I don't know why, tried disabling the firewall, changing my NIC drivers but did not help...I have fiber optic 70Mb/s connectivity and browsing feels like I am on 128Kb/s at best !!!

I am about to use True image to restore my windows 7 image back and leave Windows 8 behind until it gets more mature.

EekTheKat

Found an app that flat out doesn't work - it won't install on my win 8 tablet.

It's from a large company as well, the Amazon shopping app. Amazon seems to have cut some OEM deals with pc manufacturers to offer it as an "exclusive" to certain brands of pc's.

Which seems kind of....extreme for a shopping app that's commonly available on iOS.

Anyway I'm not too fond of app store support at the moment. Getting the usual expected run around and finger pointing instead of some concrete answers.

Microsoft says to contact Amazon. Amazon replied back to me saying something about a Kindle. So it looks like Win8 app support isn't even on Amazon's radar at the moment.

If I had to guess, someone fucked up the model detection built into the purchasing mechanism in the app store. Every other non exclusive app downloads fine.

Thus it blocks me from buying an app that's offered as an exclusive to owners of my laptop. I think they set the flag to recognize Sony, and certain models of Sony laptops, but didn't update or include the one I'm using now (which is a Win8 launch laptop advertised on their site).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
more clover trail stuff (Samsung ativ smart pc)
Hector @ umpc portal said:
One of the main test that I had to test was the battery life and the performance on the Samsung ATIV using the Clover-Trail processor. I seriously didn’t think I would be able to get all day use with the ATIV Smart PC, but it turned out that I was getting through the whole day with no problem. If you really need to use a Windows 8 tablet that can run full Windows applications, and don’t need the higher performance of the Core processor, then you should be looking at the Atom Clover-Trail tablets from Samsung, Asus and Acer. I have used the ATIV Smart PC and can get about 10 hours of battery life with half brightness using to view web pages, Word documents, email and launching Metro apps for news. This is where the ATIV with the Atom processor gets a plus from me, runs all day with the ability to use my desktop application on the road, which is one thing you can’t do on an iPad or Android tablet. Not that I still wouldn’t use my Galaxy Note 10.1, but things might change for me.
more

also Hot Hardware Performance Preview http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Clovertrail-Atom-Z2760-Windows-8-Tablet-Performance-Preview/
Hot Hardware said:
We're just getting warmed up with testing Intel's new Clover Trail Atom Z2760 SoC, Windows 8 and the new Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T tablet. Over the next few days we'll be delving into our full review and showcase of the Samsung product and will look further into other performance characteristics of Intel's new tablet platform. For now, Clover Trail is impressive enough, in terms of general use performance, easily on par with what we've seen from Window RT devices driven by NVIDIA's Tegra 3 SoC. And that performance comes with the obvious added benefit of full X86 compatibility as well.

popeutlal

more and more I'm dumbfounded why MS went with Arm for the Surface and not Clover trail.
Not just ARM, they went with tegra3 - one of the weakest SoC on the market, and not even the fastest tegra3...they went with a slower one (there are three tegra3 models).

Oh and you still cannot buy a clover trail tablet as of today. Good job OEMs.

Stardock must be making a killing on Start8.

On that note, I like the Start screen and wont be purchasing Start8
3AQmK.gif

mneuro

Personally, I really enjoy the new Windows 8 start menu. I can't see using windows without Live tiles again.

Dunlop

I installed Start8 and removed it a day later, prefer the new Windows 8 Start Menu.

But you get both. I installed Start8 and use the start screen all the time.

I'm not sure why Microsoft didn't make the UI like this in the actual OS, you are in your instantly familiar Desktop mode and can easily move to the Start/Metro UI

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I installed Start8 and removed it a day later, prefer the new Windows 8 Start Menu.
You say this like Start8 Disables the Metro UI. As a matter of fact, do some configuring and you can make everything function like it used to, just that now there's the all too convenient start button there in desktop mode.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Daily Show app is pretty good, I'm amazed at how fast videos load, it's incredible. The Cracked app is okay, it's great that I don't have to browse their crappy site and go through two pages per article, but the app doesn't really make good use of screen space.

Someone should make a windows 8 app thread.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just posted on my FB on my desktop PC and it tagged my location. Is this something new for Win 8?

vehn

How the hell do you disable the metro version of Chrome? I tried every single solution on Google (edit registry which did nothing, use the shortcut which isn't in my AppData folder) and am staying up quite late and still have not figured this out...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How the hell do you disable the metro version of Chrome? I tried every single solution on Google (edit registry which did nothing, use the shortcut which isn't in my AppData folder) and am staying up quite late and still have not figured this out...

Well if youinstall the "dev channel" version of Chrome, there is an option to toggle between the metro and desktop version at will (and the metro button defaults to the last one you used). When you click on the settings button in the top right hand corner, it says "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8/Desktop version".

Go here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/index.html?extra=devchannel#eula

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think the only way to do it at the moment is to set something else as the default browser (only the default browser can have a metro version). IE10 has options to change this behavior, don't think chrome has those options yet.

EkuRt.png

Gorki247

I think the key difference is that the on iOS the social part is integrated in the Smartglass app while on Windows this is separated imthe Games apps. This is similar to what you get on Windows Phone at the moment.

However, on iOS you are able to message your friends which doesn't seem to be the case on Windows (unless I missed it somehow). Hopefully they'll update this as you can do it on WP so I don't see why it can be the same on Win 8/RT

MedIC86

I have a serious problem:

- First i installed windows 8 via the upgrade tool, that worked fine for about a week. After that when i booted right after the win8 logo my screen would turn off and it wouldnt continue booting in metro, but if i rebooted right after that it would work like normal.

- Thinking it had something to do with upgrading i did a clean format, but the problem persisted. sometimes i get a black screen with only the mouse cursor but doesnt continue booting in metro.

Maybe its a driver thing, but i never had any problems under windows 7..

Retrocide

The Music app has been updated and at least for me the performance has greatly improved. I had a lot problems when streaming music of the app freezing or not responding.

Gaspode_T

Kind of serious mode turned on:

One of the great things about tablets is that they are being used to help kids with disabilities learn and improve certain skills or knowledge.

Having Windows 8 tablets in the world simply increases the chances that kids who need this sort of assistance will have access to apps that can help them learn.

A co-worker made this app for example: http://herbi.org/HerbiWriteAboutWin8.htm (Or here http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/herbi-writeabout/a34ed781-7d11-4663-bfda-09f9ebdf1216)

There are many apps for iOS, I hope many of them are ported to Windows (and Android for that matter) and that every kid in the world who could learn a lot from apps is able to get their hands on a touch device...it is an amazing teaching and learning tool and pretty much proven to be creating huge impact for people of all ages with disabilities.

I just found something annoying, I have multiple users on the PC and when I start it it will log on automatically to the last signed in user. Unless everyone have a password it will log on automatically. Is there a way to disable this so that when Windows 8 starts it will stay at the welcome screen until you click on a user and log in like in windows 7?

kitch9

Banned
I just found something annoying, I have multiple users on the PC and when I start it it will log on automatically to the last signed in user. Unless everyone have a password it will log on automatically. Is there a way to disable this so that when Windows 8 starts it will stay at the welcome screen until you click on a user and log in like in windows 7?

Power options / advanced, there's a login option there I believe.

are you shutting off the PC or just putting it to sleep? If you shut it off it SHOULD ask for a login no matter what. That being said theres an option for requiring a password coming out of sleep from the Change PC Settings option in the Settings Charm that you can access from the Start screen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is kind of stupid. You cant send friends messages in the Games app. Why?

The short version is because Windows Games on Windows 8 is intended to be a ripoff of Game Centre, rather than a ripoff of Xbox. The Xbox stuff is vestigial. You message friends through Messaging / People, rather than having specific-to-the-world-of-games friends.

Fjolle

Hmm. So i've added my messenger friends into the skype account. Is there any way to add facebook too so I don't have to mess with two messaging apps where half my messages appear both places?

maeh2k

The short version is because Windows Games on Windows 8 is intended to be a ripoff of Game Centre, rather than a ripoff of Xbox. The Xbox stuff is vestigial. You message friends through Messaging / People, rather than having specific-to-the-world-of-games friends.

I'm not sure that's the case. They just might not have had the time to implement messaging. A lot of the built-in Windows 8 apps aren't that far along (e.g. compare Mail to outlook.com). On Windows Phone you can message people on XBL from the games hub.

Top Bottom