• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

SUPARSTARX

How do I get to control panel? Why does this thing keep hiding? I hovered it somewhere and it came up but it never came back. I'm lonelyyyyy

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
How do I get to control panel? Why does this thing keep hiding? I hovered it somewhere and it came up but it never came back. I'm lonelyyyyy
  • search for it (start typing on the start screen or use right menu bar)
  • right click in bottom left
  • use the right menu bar while on desktop and click settings
  • right click on start screen and select all apps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/how-to#2TC=windows8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/

edit: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/mouse-keyboard-whats-new

SeanR1221

Hm...

When I had my Acer, I downloaded Shark Dash (an Acer exclusive).

Well, it looks like Shark Dash is now available for everyone to download.

I bought it, but I have a feeling I'll be charged a second time. It didn't just say install, it said buy.

What number do I call if I get charged again?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hm...

I bought it, but I have a feeling I'll be charged a second time. It didn't just say install, it said buy.

view billing history http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-view-billing-history-windows-store

support http://support.microsoft.com/get-support/windows/windows-8/windows-store-apps

AnkitT

Hm...

If it works like the windows phone store then there should be a confirmation dialog after you press buy which should detail that you've already bought it and it'll redownload. But I don't really know so your mileage may vary.

LordAlu

I still can't get the music app to load my playlists. They're there, in my library but it simply won't find them. Opening them manually in the Music app just says they're not supported, but they're M3U files. Opening them in Windows Media Player works just fine. Yet, I have one M3U playlist sat in a single album in my library and it will load that just fine. What the hell?

Jzero

Oh wow i'm behind in news, i didn't know Microsoft was ditching messenger for Skype. I guess i'll actually have to use Skype now.

Does anyone have an issue with your laptop (Dell) and some of the Fn + controls?

My Fn + Up Arrow/Down Arrow adjusts the brightness, but sometimes it does not work until a do a restart.

Read the OP.

But then I'll have to make a fresh install if I buy it :|

"Sure, you can download the Enterprise version and evaluate it for 90 days. Just go HERE.
Keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade this version to the retail version."

What happened to the "You have 30 days to activate your copy of Windows? :|

Fjolle

But then I'll have to make a fresh install if I buy it :|

"Sure, you can download the Enterprise version and evaluate it for 90 days. Just go HERE.
Keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade this version to the retail version."

What happened to the "You have 30 days to activate your copy of Windows? :|

That doesn't work anymore. If you google around you might find a way to edit the iso file to allow it... ;)

SeanR1221

Man... the edge-cases has been kicking your ass :(

Hah, guess I'm unlucky. I'm having a blast with the OS overall though. No regrets switching from OS X.

Here's another question, this time about the Evernote RT app.

Can you not add a picture after making a note? It looks like you have to make a picture note first, then add text, but not the other way around.

venne

Great!

1 more question for anyone who knows about touchpads

Is this touchpad better than this one?

I can't speak to the first, but I use the T650 and I wouldn't want to imagine using my desktop without it anymore.

I had to change a few of the settings for it to work as I like, but it was easy enough.

I changed it so taps don't register as clicks and changed the horizontal scrolling so it works more like a tablet would.

I love the three finger swipe gestures to go from Metro to Desktop.

SUPARSTARX

My brain rejected the os for 30 minutes or so before it made sense.

lol I know right? I had that triggering the first 30 minutes. The app store and the mobile functionality made me feel like this OS is inferior and what is this crap running on my computer now with shivers of regret. Also because I'm not running something "complete" on my desktop with my big bad huge programs and games off the bat.

I'm good now tho!

MCD

Does the Store New Releases section ever update?

I keep seeing NextGen Reader and Build 2012 for a whole week now.

NO APPS indeed.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is there a way to force the store to refresh? I can't figure out how. Usually you can just press F5 or CTRL+R (works on the App Store and Steam) but it seems to do nothing in Windows 8's store.

Love windows 8... hope the app selection starts to explode. There's some cool stuff there, not a bad start, but it needs a steady stream

Does the Store New Releases section ever update?

I keep seeing NextGen Reader and Build 2012 for a whole week now.

NO APPS indeed.

I learned very quickly that the "New Releases" section of Spotlight is bullshit and curated. There are many new apps that never appear in that section. For example when the giant bomb app came out I never saw it appear in New Releases.

I learned very quickly that the "New Releases" section of Spotlight is bullshit and curated. There are many new apps that never appear in that section. For example when the giant bomb app came out I never saw it appear in New Releases.

The apps you see presented on the store front are picked by the staff.

LordAlu

A quick question - almost everything I run I want to run as Administrator. For example, if I am using Foobar2000 and I want to do any tag editing, it fails unless I run it as Administrator. My account is the only one on the computer and is already an Administrator but unless I actually specifically specify it when I run anything it assumes otherwise. Is there any way I can get it to run everything stuff as Administrator by default? It's really getting on my nerves having to remember to run every program as an Administrator.

Gaspode_T

That is incorrect, I can't say officially what is happening but maybe it would be more accurate to call it "New releases and popular"...

You can see "real" new releases by clicking into the header of a genre like games, you probably don't want to do it though. Word of mouth is best bet until something like iOS AppShopper comes around or they improve the store.

venne

That is incorrect, I can't say officially what is happening but maybe it would be more accurate to call it "New releases and popular"...

You can see "real" new releases by clicking into the header of a genre like games, you probably don't want to do it though. Word of mouth is best bet until something like iOS AppShopper comes around or they improve the store.

Yeah, it's currently really cumbersome to look at what's new. You have to go by category and filter.

You can see "real" new releases by clicking into the header of a genre like games
, you probably don't want to do it though. Word of mouth is best bet until something like iOS AppShopper comes around or they improve the store.

So In other words, I was correct.

My Message app keeps going online -_- What sucks is I have my facebook connected, so my chat on fb is going online as well.

Ugh. I turn it off but an hour later its back online. Whats causing this anyone know?

Can someone explain why Windows 8 is $100 and Windows 8 Pro is $40? And why MS doesn't seem to want to sell the standard Windows 8 at all? Only Pro is available from their site.

Jobiensis

Can someone explain why Windows 8 is $100 and Windows 8 Pro is $40? And why MS doesn't seem to want to sell the standard Windows 8 at all? Only Pro is available from their site.

One of those is an OEM copy (for new machines) the other an upgrade.

Yes, it does seem like MS is pushing Pro more with Win8, it make me happy because I don't get a $100 domain tax.

R2D4

Banned
Anyway to pin the search button onto the task bar so I don't have to hover over the charms menu every time I want to use it?

Now lets get to the real meat:

Anyone have any difficulty running BlueStacks on the Win8 Atom machines?

Win8 with Android Tablet apps would make it amazing.

Interesting...

I wonder if they are going to port it to Metro and if they will be using Native Code. For that matter, I wonder if the emulators people are making for Metro are using Native Code?

Emulators will benefit greatly from Native Code but so many devs are more focused on RAD to get to market it seems and higher level languages just lend themselves better to that style.

EekTheKat

So I figured out what was wrong with my windows 8 app store experience, where I would come across app offerings normally not visible on some windows 8 installs. The store cache wasn't refreshed and it was showing me dead or wrong links in the actual store.

End result was I had to disable windows update, manually purge the cache, run an app store specific reset tool, reboot, re enable windows update.

Can't say I've been pleased by that experience, on top of that many apps that I thought were available and actually wanted to download were now gone.

Mostly the OEM specific apps - why on earth does this exist in their app store is beyond me. There are multiple copies of apps in the app store where both are essentially the same app, but the second OEM specific copy has slightly different branding (accuweather for windows 8, accuweather as recommended by Vaio).

There was apparently a dell specific and Sony specific versions of the amazon shopping app available for a while, but the Ms app store was offering dead or unavailable links.

So I figured out what was wrong with my windows 8 app store experience, where I would come across app offerings normally not visible on some windows 8 installs. The store cache wasn't refreshed and it was showing me dead or wrong links in the actual store.

End result was I had to disable windows update, manually purge the cache, run an app store specific reset tool, reboot, re enable windows update.

Can't say I've been pleased by that experience, on top of that many apps that I thought were available and actually wanted to download were now gone.

Mostly the OEM specific apps - why on earth does this exist in their app store is beyond me. There are multiple copies of apps in the app store where both are essentially the same app, but the second OEM specific copy has slightly different branding (accuweather for windows 8, accuweather as recommended by Vaio).

There was apparently a dell specific and Sony specific versions of the amazon shopping app available for a while, but the Ms app store was offering dead or unavailable links.

They should ad a report button to the app store to deal with that.

Top Bottom