• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.
I decided I'm getting the ATIV 500T. I wonder if I'll regret it.

NomarTyme

Bow down to my superior search skill

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 Ultraportable Notebook: Core i5 3210M 3.10GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB 7200 RPM HDD, 12.5" 1366x768 LED, Intel HD 4000, 6-cell, Windows 8 $608 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/836...d:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net+Frontpage)

go go go go go

I pulled the trigger on this laptop, $650(after CA tax). The upgrade to IPS Display is a must. Also change the wifi card to centrino because I heard the lenovo sucks balls compare to the intel one.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I pulled the trigger on this laptop, $650(after CA tax). The upgrade to IPS Display is a must. Also change the wifi card to centrino because I heard the lenovo sucks balls compare to the intel one.

Good shit. Looks like a good deal.

NomarTyme

Good shit. Looks like a good deal.
Yeah I just wanted something really rugged and this was perfect for me. Also I heard its gonna be a little cheaper on Cyber Monday but no confirmation though.

Also this got to be a huge upgrade from my netbook...lol.

uh oh, i already ordered my x230t with the default wifi card... do you think it's possible at all to send it in at a later time for a swap-out?

NomarTyme

uh oh, i already ordered my x230t with the default wifi card... do you think it's possible at all to send it in at a later time for a swap-out?

Try calling them if they can change it for you.

I got this info from slick deal.

maeh2k

I was hoping that by now we'd see more notebooks with touch. I'm supposed to find a notebook for my sister by christmas. I was holding out for a decent regular notebook with a touchscreen.
I haven't seen one yet that I'd recommend her over a Dell Vostro 3560 or Inspiron 15R SE. For 700 Euros you can get one of these two with a good full HD display and they offer better upgradeability/repairability than most of those Ultrabooks with their soldered RAM and glued batteries.

Right now the only other option in that price range that I'm keeping an eye on is the Asus U38N. There's one review of a pre-production model here and it had some issues. Hope we'll see some other reviews soon; especially of the A8-4555M version.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
64GB microsd cards are under $50

SD card is vital for any of the Windows 8 tablets I'd say, but installing apps to anything other than the primary drive is currently 'Unsupported' so it's only of use for document storage and legacy apps (even then you don't really want to run apps from an SD card).

From my experience, I've got a 64 gig SSD and I've got 8 gig free now with very little other than the bare essentials you need to make a PC useful.

And that's with my Skydrive and Dropbox accounts sitting on my 64 gig SD card.

Blackhead

Redarse
SD card is vital for any of the Windows 8 tablets I'd say, but installing apps to anything other than the primary drive is currently 'Unsupported' so it's only of use for document storage and legacy apps (even then you don't really want to run apps from an SD card).

From my experience, I've got a 64 gig SSD and I've got 8 gig free now with very little other than the bare essentials you need to make a PC useful.

:O Would you be nice enough to share a list of your bare essentials? I'm currently leaning towards a 64GB but it won't be my main computer—merely a OneNotePad. I didn't even think I'd need the sd card slot.

JaggedSac

Just curious, what do you consider the bare essentials needed to make a PC useful?

Got the Acer W510 for $399 from Microsoft Store

$399 not bad for a full Windows 8 tablet.

Now I need to find the keyboard dock accessory. You would think Acer or Microsoft would sell it on their site, but that would make too much sense.

I was interested in this until I saw the Atom is 1.5Ghz instead of 1.8, 10.1 screen size, 32GB of storage plus I don't see where you can buy the keyboard dock separate. Seems a decent entry level though.

The Atom chips inside of all of these Windows 8 tablets are identical. The chip runs at 1.5GHz with burst mode speed up to 1.8GHz. The Acer site data sheet lists it as 1.8GHz chip though.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/NT.L0MAA.001

I got the Asus vivobook for 499 and so far it's pretty amazing. Ivy bridge i3, 500gb 5400rpm, 11.6 inch touch screen 1366x768, windows 8 pro, 4gb of ram.

Jado

Banned
Do not get a 32gig Windows 8 device. You will run out of space.

I think this is correct. I have 27.8 GB free out of 51.4 GB, and only installed (at most) a few gigs worth of x86 programs and MS apps. 32GB would be a nightmare.

I think storage space would only be a problem if you intend to install a lot of 3D WinRT games. Most WinRT apps are in the 1MB-10MB range.

Desktop apps, music, and videos you can install on a memory card. 64GB card is $40 at Amazon.

Blackhead

Redarse
Asus Taichi dual-screen ultrabook is indefinitely delayed
The Verge said:
APh6K.png
*smh*

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So, I went ahead and ordered the ATIV 500t from Newegg. Will update with impressions when I receive. Hopefully the docking station disconnects aren't that bad.

Anony

when is the thinkpad 2 coming out?
from all my searches, it seems like it should have been out when win8 launched at 650$

lenovo's site still says coming soon and microsoft store says 700$

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
when is the thinkpad 2 coming out?
from all my searches, it seems like it should have been out when win8 launched at 650$

lenovo's site still says coming soon and microsoft store says 700$
I think december 18th.

has anyone seen the i7 version of duo 11 in stores?

most online stores list no stock. I nearly pulled the trigger in sony store, but they've been postponing estimated ship dates.... now it lists january next year...

most online stores list no stock. I nearly pulled the trigger in sony store, but they've been postponing estimated ship dates.... now it lists january next year...

I played with one at Fry's Electronic about two weeks ago. It's zippy and has a beautiful screen but is far too thick for my taste.

pulled the trigger, i7 duo 11, from jr, expected to ship 12/06...

don't fail me, j&r.

ed, they updated the expected ship date to 12/04, they're getting stocks soon it seems.

Slavik81

Ugh. I'm going to be in Santa Clara in a few days and I was considering buying a vaio duo 11. The things are all over the place here (Canada), but I'm having trouble finding stock in US stores. I won't have room to bring it with me, so I was really hoping I could just stop by a store and pick it up on my first day there.

Ugh. I'm going to be in Santa Clara in a few days and I was considering buying a vaio duo 11. The things are all over the place here (Canada), but I'm having trouble finding stock in US stores. I won't have room to bring it with me, so I was really hoping I could just stop by a store and pick it up on my first day there.

yeah, sony.ca has stocks, but they don't ship to the states I presume. it's an ultrabook, why won't you have room.

PSGames

Look what I got in the mail yesterday :)

8pG5rl.jpg

At such a cheap price I figured this would be the perfect compromise until the perfect Windows 8 device is released. If u have any questions let me know. It's a surprisingly sleek looking device in person. Will post a video soon.

Acer W510

Slavik81

yeah, sony.ca has stocks, but they don't ship to the states I presume. it's an ultrabook, why won't you have room.

Admittedly, it's not a hard limit, but I don't want to check any bags so I'm travelling as light as possible. I have a little more room coming back than going down. And it also seems to be a little cheaper in the US.

There's a number of reasons why it would be convenient if it were available.

tino

Banned
Look what I got in the mail yesterday :)

8pG5rl.jpg

At such a cheap price I figured this would be the perfect compromise until the perfect Windows 8 device is released. If u have any questions let me know. It's a surprisingly sleek looking device in person. Will post a video soon.

Acer W510

Can you pair an iPad keyboard with the Acer and see how well it work? You can get a Logitech iPad keyboard for almost nothing nowadays.

tino

Banned
OK
- does it support 64gb sdxc?
- how much free space do you have now?
- does portrait mode feel weird to you?
- I would appreciate it if you can measure and weight and thickness of the dock
- is the physical windows button easy to press?

Top Bottom