• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

The hardware manufacturers have really botched this launch. The HP Envy X2 I ordered isn't shipping until Christmas. The Dell XPS 12 not shipping until mid-December. Asus Taichi delayed until next year probably. Transformer Book? Who the hell knows. Most of the tablets and hybrids are not shipping until December or later. Intel says it's not their fault, Best Buy claims that it is a shortage and low-yield on large touch screens over 10" size. Best Buy didn't think that hybrid/convertibles were going to be popular and is shocked by the success of the Lenovo Yoga. Now they're planning in 6-9 months to develop separate convertible and hybrid sections in their retail stores; although clearly BB still doesn't get the appeal of hybrids. *smh*

I don't get it. These companies had over a year to prepare for the Windows 8 launch. It isn't like Microsoft sprung this launch on them by surprise.

PSGames

For anyone who ordered the Acer W510 tablet from Microsoft Store (awesome CyberMonday deal)...

The W510 keyboard dock is now being sold on Acer's website for $150:

http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/productID.259958500

And of course like everything else I've purchased lately it is backordered. :/

Thanks put in my order as well.

OK
- does it support 64gb sdxc?
- how much free space do you have now?
- does portrait mode feel weird to you?
- I would appreciate it if you can measure and weight and thickness of the dock
- is the physical windows button easy to press?

Yep 64gb works.
13GB I think. Doing a full windows 8 reinstall will probably bump you to 20.
Not at all. Its so light and you can see more of a page in portrait.
No dock yet.
Its not a physical button. Its capacitive. But as they go its responsive.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the main thing I didn't like about the Samsung Ativ Smart PC when I tried it in the store was that the bezel seemed too big imo. Holding it with two hands and trying to use my thumbs to navigate around the OS was kind of hard. Probably one of the reasons I like the smaller Thinkpad Tablet 2.

So what's the consensus on the Sony VAIO duo 11?

go through this: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sony/52546-sony-vaio-duo-11-a-34.html

shog was not wrong, you shouldn't get it if you're going to use it mainly as a tablet.

the duo is ultrabook 1st and tablet 2nd. If you want an ultrabook with some note taking capabilities, then the duo will shine.

it's not that crap in art either, someone did this:

2800d1353457166-sony-vaio-duo-11-ap.jpg

this post is a good review of the system: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sony/52546-sony-vaio-duo-11-a-41.html#post300131

oh, and the duo n-trig pen is rubbish with most adobe softwares.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Shogmaster, how often did the ATIV Smart PC 500T disconnect from its docking keyboard? Or the 700T for that matter.

SteveWD40

So I feel like the W700 might be the way to go over the Lynx (4gb Ram for one thing). I read that the 128GB version won't be in the UK for a while, anyone know estimated dates?

This hardware launch has been messy to say the least, could do with some clear release dates and valid reasons for bullshit decisions such as delaying certain config's in certain markets...

Shogmaster, how often did the ATIV Smart PC 500T disconnect from its docking keyboard? Or the 700T for that matter.

My 500T from Staples was $599 SKU without keyboard. The XE700T was detaching with any decent push pressure on the slate portion. It was quite often. Made typing annoying.

oh, and the duo n-trig pen is rubbish with most adobe softwares.

that's not just a side-note. that's a deal-breaker for many, many people. In fact, it's such a big deal that we should have a separate column in the OP for Win8 tablets with a pen that are fully compatible with Adobe software...and a column for those that aren't.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to smash this shit and just go with a Mac. Second defective Windows 8 product I'm getting. I open up my ATIV and it tells me I'm an "other user" without letting me set up my account or anything. How do I restore this shit to factory settings without logging in?

Windu

I'm about to smash this shit and just go with a Mac. Second defective Windows 8 product I'm getting. I open up my ATIV and it tells me I'm an "other user" without letting me set up my account or anything. How do I restore this shit to factory settings without logging in?
try putting a windows 8 iso on usb stick and booting to it and repairing.

tino

Banned
that's not just a side-note. that's a deal-breaker for many, many people. In fact, it's such a big deal that we should have a separate column in the OP for Win8 tablets with a pen that are fully compatible with Adobe software...and a column for those that aren't.

I have them on the google doc, look on the right side.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously this is such bullshit. Did Newegg just sent me a used PC? What the fuck is this bullshit? I'm about to beat the shit out of anyone associated with this shitty OS. Why the fuck is Newegg such a shitty website?

Hi GAF. I've posted in here before, I believe. I know a few things about computers, but not much. Please help me.

I need a laplet for school, and I'm looking at the Lenovo ThinkPad X230. What is the general consensus on these machines? Are there better laplets out there? They seem to be well-received around campus.

First things first: I don't want to buy this and have a newer model drop in 3 weeks. I know progression in technology is inevitable, but I'd rather get the latest and greatest when I do buy it. I need it by the end of January/beginning of February.

I'm going to deck this thing out. I'll give it an i7 and 16 GB of RAM. Now, when I customize it on Lenovo's site, it adds like $400 which is ridiculous. I'd rather just buy the same ram separately and install it myself. I could even use the leftover 4GB stick of RAM and put it in my current POS laptop. Is this all doable? Thanks for any input. Anyone who helps is awesome!!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a refund for this shit and never ordering from Newegg again.

When is the Envy x2 available? Rather pay 100 bucks more and get a product that works.

PSGames

I'm getting a refund for this shit and never ordering from Newegg again.

When is the Envy x2 available? Rather pay 100 bucks more and get a product that works.

Out of all that I've owned.

Surface - great but bad value for money and only metro apps
Samsung 500t - glitchiest POS I've ever owned. Constantly freezes and hangs up.
Asus Vivotab - again only Windows RT plus had some glitches

The Acer W510 has hands down given me the best Windows 8 experience. Super fast and fluid and no glitches.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, acer huh. Definitely gonna consider that or just wait for the Envy which looks really sturdy and reliable.

tino

Banned
Out of all that I've owned.

Surface - great but bad value for money and only metro apps
Samsung 500t - glitchiest POS I've ever owned. Constantly freezes and hangs up.
Asus Vivotab - again only Windows RT plus had some glitches

The Acer W510 has hands down given me the best Windows 8 experience. Super fast and fluid and no glitches.

Is your w510 32gb or 64gb?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Go for for it man. The specs are nice.

They do, but I'm also using it for school. Looks really counterintuitive to hold the cradle, the tablet and the keyboard. So cheap for an Ivy Bridge though, and a nice display resolution.

PSGames

Is your w510 32gb or 64gb?

32GB version. Bought for $399 on Cyber Monday. $100 off. I have a 2TB portable HDD so space isn't an issue.

They do, but I'm also using it for school. Looks really counterintuitive to hold the cradle, the tablet and the keyboard. So cheap for an Ivy Bridge though, and a nice display resolution.

Get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009P7JJEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BTW I haven't mentioned this because I planned on sending it back but I accidentally ordered two of the w510s at the Cyber Monday price. I would be willing to sell it for what I paid plus $10 for shipping. Excellent tablet.

Kiraly

I don't think so. It was chugging a bit when on the Asus power saving thing but I turned it off and now it's fine.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Asus-VivoBook-S200E-Subnotebook.84478.0.html

German review of the i3 version, there is some serious cooling issue going on. Such a shame, as it would have been a nice product.

Both models are struggling with heavy throttling.

While the slight throttling the CPU still be dismissed as insignificant and hardly noticeable in everyday life,

It does not bode well for 6 months down the line when the cooling is fading a bit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
pro: gorgeous screen, good build quality.
con: Heavy for size, awkward form factor, subpar battery life, subpar digitizer pen.

go through this: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sony...o-11-a-34.html

shog was not wrong, you shouldn't get it if you're going to use it mainly as a tablet.

the duo is ultrabook 1st and tablet 2nd. If you want an ultrabook with some note taking capabilities, then the duo will shine.

it's not that crap in art either, someone did this:

Thanks for the feedback.

Got a chance to play with it in the store, and jesus the pointer nub is so annoyingly fiddly.

So what is considered the best for artistic and design work?

Row

Banned
Getting a new laptop tomorrow and it has win8. I've seen a few videos and I really dislike the idea of having to manage two ecosystems but will try to adjust. If I really hate it though, would I be able to buy a win7 copy and just revert from 8 to 7 no problem?

iavi

Getting a new laptop tomorrow and it has win8. I've seen a few videos and I really dislike the idea of having to manage two ecosystems but will try to adjust. If I really hate it though, would I be able to buy a win7 copy and just revert from 8 to 7 no problem?

The idea thaat you have to manage two ecosystems is overblown. Outside of the start screen, lack of a start menu button, and right-side preferences charm, you rarely ever have to use metro. There'd be absolutely no reason to revert to 7 if the machine comes with 8 installed.

eastmen

Banned
So intel apparently has the core i5 3339y thats 1.5ghz 2/4 core 2ghz turbo and the i5 32229y 1.5g. 2/4 4.3ghz turbo. Both these chips are 13w and can be locked to 10w. There is also the new i7. 1.5ghz but up to 2.6ghz turbo and has 4 vs 3 mb of cache.

All 3 are slated for q1 2012. I wonder what the chances will be that the aurface has one of these.

Windu

HP Elitebook Revolve announced. expected to be released in march.

8UWe5.jpg

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=1335606#.UL9loXewV8F

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/new-pcs/multitouch.html?c=page1&jumpid=ex_r11260_go_newpcs

also announced some kind of charging station for 10 tablet pcs
HP also released a new HP Multi-Tablet Charging Module,(3) which quickly and easily charges and stores up to 10 tablet PCs with just one power outlet. Suitable for a range of different work environments, the module secures all docked tablets with a locking mechanism and a keyed lock on the fold-back doors.

edit: video http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hp-elitebook-revolve/

fuck you online shop
fuck you acer
fuck you intel

or whoever is responsible that my W700 will not ship until the 20th. i am on vacation from the 21st onward, so I hope it arrives on time :/

Wouldn't it be smarter to just buy Start8 for $5 and never use the metro UI? Windows 8 is a significant improvement over Windows 7 and there might be some apps in the app store that you end up liking a lot.

I would never recommend buying a PC without a touch screen, but if that's where you are stuck for the time being I would definitely recommend Start8.

Wiktor

Looks like a great device, but March? They'll never learn.

I don't think they do it intentionally. There seem to be huge shortages of parts, especially touchscreen. There's plenty of 10 inch screens, but I've read that tablets with W8 are selling badly, while hybrids and touchscreen notebooks are doing far better than they anticipated. THey just seem to be lacking 11-13 inch touchscreens.

Totakeke

I don't think they do it intentionally. There seem to be huge shortages of parts, especially touchscreen. There's plenty of 10 inch screens, but I've read that tablets with W8 are selling badly, while hybrids and touchscreen notebooks are doing far better than they anticipated. THey just seem to be lacking 11-13 inch touchscreens.

What's the source for 10 inch tablets are selling badly?

Top Bottom