• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Totakeke

Uhh... so if I'm reading the article properly.

Touchscreen computers - Demand Strong
Tablets - Demand Weak

Touch panel displays - Demand Strong
Dell XPS One 27 - Demand Strong
Dell XPS 12 - Demand Strong
Non-touch devices - Demand Weak
Low-end machines - Demand Weak
Intel-powered and Arm powered Tablets - Demand Weak
Windows 8 and Windows RT Tablets - Supply Weak

So conclusion is 10" tablets is selling poorly... okay.

maeh2k

I think Microsoft is losing tablets fast. Not too long ago people were expecting Windows 8 tablets to steamroll Android tablets, but in the last couple of months with the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10 now suddenly everyone loves Android for tablets.

Android tablets are a lot cheaper than Windows tablets and the OEMs are all hedging their bets and are relying on Android for the affordable tablets. Even in the press some of the tablet-shopping-for-christmas guides don't even mention Windows tablets.

Of course the consumers mostly don't know the differences between systems, either. Otherwise I think a lot more would consider Windows tablets. You read a lot about how tablets are basically enough for most consumers and that they don't really need PCs anymore, but we aren't really there yet. Most people use some USB devices, printers, digital cameras, Office ... For them I think Windows tablets would be a better choice.

If Microsoft had created a tablet OS completely independent from Windows, they'd be fucked right now. With Windows they still sell millions of Windows 8 licenses with store access and amass developer support. So even when their tablets fail this year they aren't out of the race and can still do well in the long run.

Totakeke

Nexus 7 sure, Nexus 10? Doubt it. Even if Nexus 10 sells great, I don't see people suddenly changing their minds and start developing apps for 10" Android.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
then need a surface 7" to compete on price. It isn't really fair to compare 10" windows tablets with 7" android ones

Seriously this is such bullshit. Did Newegg just sent me a used PC? What the fuck is this bullshit? I'm about to beat the shit out of anyone associated with this shitty OS. Why the fuck is Newegg such a shitty website?

They do that, so I wouldn't be surprise if you got someone return product.

Totakeke

then need a surface 7" to compete on price. It isn't really fair to compare 10" windows tablets with 7" android ones

I very much doubt that they'll promote or encourage 7" devices with Windows 8 Metro or Windows RT. Snap mode was designed very specifically with the wide screen form factors in mind that are present on 10" and larger devices. Plus the swipe menus will just look weird in portrait. Should they scale up from Windows Phone instead? Ehh, I don't think so either.

eastmen

Banned
I very much doubt that they'll promote or encourage 7" devices with Windows 8 Metro or Windows RT. Snap mode was designed very specifically with the wide screen form factors in mind that are present on 10" and larger devices. Plus the swipe menus will just look weird in portrait. Should they scale up from Windows Phone instead? Ehh, I don't think so either.

I think you will see 8 inch devices from barnes and noble early next year.

Anyway windows 8 has been avalible for a little over a month , there have been massive discounts on the windows 7 hardware and tablets have been practicly a no show so far with what 1 or 2 being avaible . Its a bit early to really say anything.

tino

Banned

Like MS can compete with 7" Android tablet in price.

Next year you probably can get a quadcore 7" "Polaroid" android tablet from Kmart for 50.

JaggedSac

MS will never be able to compete with Android tablets on price. Their only hope is to continue with the idea of device convergence, ie. one device to do everything you need, or get people liking the idea of touch Windows and perhaps move people to tablets from there. Which, it seems people are liking the touch interface so far, I for one like the side swipes a good deal.

So intel apparently has the core i5 3339y thats 1.5ghz 2/4 core 2ghz turbo and the i5 32229y 1.5g. 2/4 4.3ghz turbo. Both these chips are 13w and can be locked to 10w. There is also the new i7. 1.5ghz but up to 2.6ghz turbo and has 4 vs 3 mb of cache.

All 3 are slated for q1 2012. I wonder what the chances will be that the aurface has one of these.

You still posting like nothing happened, eh? >:)

3229y is a Core i3 and thus will not turbo. 3339y is i5, but 1.5~2.0 is alot worse for performance than 1.7~2.6 of 3317U that is found in ATIV Smart PC Pro.

From perspective of someone wanting to run Photoshop on it, 3317U is barely good enough so 3339y would suffer noticeably in comparison. Can't recommend Photoshop on Surface Pro if it has 3339y.

eastmen

Banned
The i5 3339y is 1.5 witg 2.3ghz turbo. The i7 3689y is 1.5ghz and turbo at. 2.6ghz. Both are 13w. And both support cTDP which lets them go to 10w and even 7w both lower performance than the 1.7/2.6 but it shouldnt be much different. Imtel and ms could also enable you to up the tdp to 17w for increased performance.

The i5 3339y is 1.5 witg 2.3ghz turbo. The i7 3689y is 1.5ghz and turbo at. 2.6ghz. Both are 13w. And both support cTDP which lets them go to 10w and even 7w both lower performance than the 1.7/2.6 but it shouldnt be much different. Imtel and ms could also enable you to up the tdp to 17w for increased performance.

It's just cream crop version of 3317U that has allows more flexibility it seems like. Either way, 10W or 7W options will entail necessary reduction in clock and thus in performance. It's a trade off for more battery life, but here's a food for thought:

1.7GHz Clovertrail Atom 2W might perform better than 7W or 10W IB in Photoshop and Painter regarding brush performance. Both of these programs have brushes that are very much clock speed dependent for performance. Painter, for instance, really struggles with clock speed below 1.5 GHz. IB @ 10 or 7W would mean hovering near or below 1GHz. That's way below my comfort zone for digital sketching and painting.

In any case, I don't think it's worth the trade off of the performance. Even at 7W, it won't match the battery life of slates running Clovertrail Atom @ 2W. And if you take performance out of IB, what's the point?

P.S. Where's that nice avatar I made you? You owe me a bet loss. >:)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
*Yawns.*

Or, use Start like Start and only see Start for 5 minutes a day tops.....

Start8 brings back my search bar. That's invaluable quick access to files for me. Metro search is cumbersome.

Not to mention functions of various things can be changed.

Jado

Banned
Out of all that I've owned.

Surface - great but bad value for money and only metro apps
Samsung 500t - glitchiest POS I've ever owned. Constantly freezes and hangs up.
Asus Vivotab - again only Windows RT plus had some glitches

The Acer W510 has hands down given me the best Windows 8 experience. Super fast and fluid and no glitches.

I had one or two freezes when I first got it and that was before running updates. Three weeks in and no OS problems. There's a WIFI problem, but it's not an issue with Samsung hardware and easily fixed by downloading a newer driver floating around the web from the yet-released Lenovo Tablet 2.

edit: Never mind. Driver problem vanished when I ran and updated Samsung SW Updater.

railGUN

Banned
I'm probably being a total idiot but I cannot find a Windows 8 ISO download anywhere on the Windows store.

I'm building a new PC without a disk drive so I need to mount the file to a USB stick and install it from there. Despite reading everywhere that Windows are offering 8 as an ISO download I just can't find it.

I'm in the UK if that helps.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can only get the iso by running the Upgrade Assistant, and purchasing through it... then it downloads the files, and once you run the install, you get the option to create "bootable media", where you get the option to create an .iso or a USB boot file.

Again, not positive about this.

popeutlal

Can't wait any longer, I'm buying the Acer W510, I'm going to buy Amazon gift cards with my Best Buy store credit and order it from Amazon. Damn BB is only selling the terrible Samsung Ativ.

BTW whats the battery life on Acer W510, without the dock?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
@anandshimpi @anandtech when will you review a windows 8 tablet with cover trail?
November 20th said:
@JCMua targeting next week at this point
this was more then two weeks ago....still waiting on that anandtech clovertrail review

:(

Jado

Banned
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-att-review/

Engadget has reviewed the AT&T version of the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T, the absolute worst version of this device due to lack of hardware features, software instability and much higher price. The editor (and many people in the comments section) make a point of mentioning that this POS is inferior to the WIFI version and that she may revisit the review if she gets a hold of the superior version of the tablet.

One commenter, MarshallBurke, had an excellent tip about freeing up 17GB(!). I noticed these partitions in a system utility tool, but wasn't sure if/how I could get rid of them. Nice to know it's possible.

You can free up the recovery partition! You will need a 32GB USB Flash Drive (16GB is not enough as the partition size is 17GB) Insert the drive and search for 'Recovery' Run the program and it will format the USB drive as bootable and copy the recovery partition to the drive. At then end of the process it will give you the chance to delete the Recovery Partition and merge the free space to the C Drive.

PSGames

Can't wait any longer, I'm buying the Acer W510, I'm going to buy Amazon gift cards with my Best Buy store credit and order it from Amazon. Damn BB is only selling the terrible Samsung Ativ.

BTW whats the battery life on Acer W510, without the dock?

Good choice sir! And I get around 9 hours with just the tablet.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AUChE.png

hopefully this is just the Microsoft Store...

Chichikov

This looks fantastic, and it's exactly the design philosophy I look for in a tablet.
Well, outside the fact that the RAM does not seem upgradable, seriously, I know it's hard in that form factor, but I can't believe it's impossible.

Still, I'm wary of unproven manufacturer, anyone know anything about those guys?
Couldn't find anything.

(I'm not going to buy this anyway, I'm very happy with my 700T at the moment, and no way in hell I'm buying anything before Haswell is out, just general curiosity).

tino

Banned
This looks fantastic, and it's exactly the design philosophy I look for in a tablet.
Well, outside the fact that the RAM does not seem upgradable, seriously, I know it's hard in that form factor, but I can't believe it's impossible.

Still, I'm wary of unproven manufacturer, anyone know anything about those guys?
Couldn't find anything.

(I'm not going to buy this anyway, I'm very happy with my 700T at the moment, and no way in hell I'm buying anything before Haswell is out, just general curiosity).

Its vaporware.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
What's the status on HP Envy x2. Is it coming before xmas?

tino

Banned
At least you can get a 64gb tablet with keyboard dock for 610 now.

Stay strong guys. The OEMs will buckle and slash the price.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
This is pathetic. That Amazon deal has all of its products, except one, temporarily out of stock, and the w510 is in stock Dec 11.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah Yeah, pressing Windows key and starting typing is sooooo inconvenient.
It is, because it takes me back to the Metro interface and I have to search by file...or app...or settings instead of a unified search.

Slight conveniences that come up a lot in daily computing make a hell of a difference, because I use it a lot.

tino

Banned
It is, because it takes me back to the Metro interface and I have to search by file...or app...or settings instead of a unified search.

Slight conveniences that come up a lot in daily computing make a hell of a difference, because I use it a lot.

Does Launchy work on W8?

Help!

I need an i5 tablet this year. I have €900 budget.

I ordered w700 but that was pushed back till january or something. Is there ANY alternative?

Too bad vaio duo 11 or 700t are >1000

vedderlax11

Neo Member
So my Thinkpad Twist was ordered on Black Friday...you know, for the holidays. It was supposed to ship on the 7th, but after a check on the website they said it wouldn't be shipped until the the 21st of December...so we call on the 8th to get a sense of why this occurred and were told that they would be shipping it on Monday, the 10th. Now, we get an email saying it won't be shipped for another 30 days...oh, how I love customer service.

Top Bottom