• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Help!

I need an i5 tablet this year. I have €900 budget.

I ordered w700 but that was pushed back till january or something. Is there ANY alternative?

Too bad vaio duo 11 or 700t are >1000

Sony Europe are currently doing i5s for the price of an i3: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-duo

Not sure if it's available in your locale, but it would reduce the cost for you, depending on the RAM and SSD you're going for (custom build). It's a great machine, personally speaking. Bit heavy for a tablet (otherwise fine for a laptop/ultra) and the keyboard takes a few mins to get used to, but otherwise excellent.

tino

Banned
I got this email from Newegg. Buy a Ultrabook and get $100 Visa rebate. Link

After rebate you can get an i5 Sony 13.3" Ultrabook for 600, an i3 for 525.

In other news, I got my Lenovo X301 delivered. This is truly a 10 year old Mercedez. I installed XP on it and I am loving it.

Sony Europe are currently doing i5s for the price of an i3: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-duo

Not sure if it's available in your locale, but it would reduce the cost for you, depending on the RAM and SSD you're going for (custom build). It's a great machine, personally speaking. Bit heavy for a tablet (otherwise fine for a laptop/ultra) and the keyboard takes a few mins to get used to, but otherwise excellent.

oh wow, sweet deal. still a little above my budget, not sure if i can squeeze out the extra cash somehow. but thanks for the heads up!

oh wow, sweet deal. still a little above my budget, not sure if i can squeeze out the extra cash somehow. but thanks for the heads up!

No probs, man, happy to be of help. They extended the deal recently, but I suspect once this one is gone, either another deal will come up or that will be it for 2012. Previously they offered half price SSDs, but the processor upgrade is more 'valuable' in terms of money you'll save (£130 i5 for nothing? Yes please).

There's always a chance of a slight price drop once Surface Pro comes out, esp seeing as these Windows 8 devices arent selling well, but you never know.

popeutlal

Samsung ATIV removed from amazon:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LL9U50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think its due to the broken keyboard mechanism.

No probs, man, happy to be of help. They extended the deal recently, but I suspect once this one is gone, either another deal will come up or that will be it for 2012. Previously they offered half price SSDs, but the processor upgrade is more 'valuable' in terms of money you'll save (£130 i5 for nothing? Yes please).

There's always a chance of a slight price drop once Surface Pro comes out, esp seeing as these Windows 8 devices arent selling well, but you never know.

I'm hoping it does. At the very least it would be great if they would include the keyboard.

eastmen

Banned
A lot of people claimed MS were crazy for making the surface but it seems like they really needed to get high quality machineso ut there. That's not to say that the surface doesn't have a few flaws like some covers splitting or the symbol rubbing off . But it seems to at least be avalible and doesn't have design flaws like some of the others.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i get why MS decided to make a machine..its obvious none of the OEMs were gonna offer a flagship product at launch.
We still don't' know what the hold up is..intel on the processor side...display screen availability... its fucked.

But everyone that isn't a tech person that i know is absolutely confused about the surface and windows RT or they just don't care cuz they know what an ipad is.

I still can't find a non RT tablet in stores just laptops and PC's.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Are you saying that from experience? There's nothing wrong with mine, although I don't have the keyboard dock (no personal need for it).

I bought it to replace my laptop. Bad choice.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about the Acer W700 again. How bad is portability?

eastmen

Banned
I'm thinking about the Acer W700 again. How bad is portability?

its not bad , its 11.6 inches or so. My old laptop is 13.3 inches and in all honesty if it was as thin as the surface rt and as light i'd have no problems carrying that around with me normaly .

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but the w700 also includes the dock and the separate keyboard. I'm just thinking it'd be inconvenient taking it with me to class.

The Core 2 Duo should still be faster than the new Atoms. Only thing that would slow down the system is the old 1.8" 5400 RPM HDD.

yea, for under $300, it's a good deal, IMO. Just as long as you don't mind the horrible graphics performance (movies will be fine but forget about games), thickness and weight.

that HDD isn't that big of a concern tbh. Windows 8 should still load relatively quickly. that said, this is a 2009 laptop and the specs weren't very good even then. you'll get what you pay for here.

edit: actually, the HDD's performance is pretty bad.

45382.jpg

That's basically USB2.0 transfer speeds coming out of that HDD. Imagine booting an OS from an external USB HDD. That's what the experience here would be.

...and the laptop only scores a 655 in 3DMark'06. yikes. I wouldn't fuck with it unless you were desperate to save a couple hundred. I don't suspect it's performance will satisfy you for more than a year. Better to take that $300, save another $300 and buy a 2012 or 2013 tablet/convertible.

i get why MS decided to make a machine..its obvious none of the OEMs were gonna offer a flagship product at launch.

Might have been the other way around. OEMs decided not to make flagship products at launch because Microsoft was offering first party hardware. Take a wait-and-see approach to see how the market plays out before investing in competing with MSFT.

PSGames

I have Windows 8 loaded on a Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo. Windows is speedy and can play all Metro games with no issues. Any full PC games will struggle though.

Also for those interested in Windows RT (Surface, Asus, etc) do not purchase the current products. S4 Plus based machines which offer over twice the GPU performance as the Tegra 3 are being released in a couple weeks. This is what the Surface should have used in the first place.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/XPS-10-tablet/pd
http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_tab.html

tino

Banned
I have Windows 8 loaded on a Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo. Windows is speedy and can play all Metro games with no issues. Any full PC games will struggle though.

Also for those interested in Windows RT (Surface, Asus, etc) do not purchase the current products. S4 Plus based machines which offer over twice the GPU performance as the Tegra 3 are being released in a couple weeks. This is what the Surface should have used in the first place.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/XPS-10-tablet/pd
http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_tab.html

They are dualcore S4 chips, not quadcore S4+ chips.

scently

I purchased the Samsung ativ pc pro and in all honesty, apart from the faulty keyboard, it is a really solid tablet, pretty much everything you have in the surface pro. I just wish the keyboard dock wasn't so faulty as it would have been a perfect laptop replacement.

JaggedSac

Don't buy any tech guys, the new thing will always be around the corner.

Disclaimer: This post was created by a person who recently purchased a device that contained outdated tech the day it was released.

No Acer w700 to be seen in europe at all. Looks like it is available in the states but Amazon wont let me import.
How the hell can I get my hands on this thing, I expected to have it for almost 2 months now :/

At this rate, I could just wait and buy a surface pro and have a more prestigous product and a digitizer. I prefer the 11.6" though.

eastmen

Banned
I'm sure they will have some announcements the day it goes up for preorder . Still don't know clocks of the cpu or ram and a few other things from the surface. Will be interesting to see .

Engadget Acer W700 review:

It's fat, it's heavy, the cradle is useless. But it's very fast and the battery life can go up to 7 hours.

WRAP-UP

After unboxing the W700 and putting the cradle dock together, we didn't think we were going to like it very much. As it turns out, we like it quite a bit, and we think you might too, but you'll have to get past some surface flaws in order to truly appreciate it. The W700 is thick and heavy, even for a tablet with a Core i5 processor, and though it's solidly built, it has a boxy look that can be off-putting. The good news is that it's fast, even among Windows 8 PCs, and offers surprisingly long runtime. If we're honest, we never expected Core i5 tablets to be very longevous, and meanwhile touchscreen Ultrabooks have been consistently disappointing on the battery life front, so it's impressive that the W700 succeeds in being powerful while still lasting seven-plus hours on a charge. Most other Core i5 tablets don't have that going for them.

Finally, let's not forget the cost: even the $800 model comes with a cradle and dock, which is pretty aggressive pricing for a product in this class. For $900, in particular, you can get one with a Core i5 CPU and 64 gigs of storage. Compare that to the Surface Pro, which will start at $900 with the same CPU and no keyboard included. Granted, we prefer the Surface's lightweight, connectable keyboard, but that's beside the point: Microsoft could take a cue from Acer on pricing here.

The problem, though, is that the W700's cradle design doesn't make much sense. It's fine if you plan on using your tablet at your desk most of the time, but then you wouldn't get to appreciate the long battery life, would you? The design might also suit people who need just a tablet when traveling, but if that's the case, why not get a Surface? Why would you buy a tablet with this kind of horsepower if you thought you wouldn't need the desktop on the go? Ultimately, you could pack up the cradle, kickstand and keyboard, but it's a pain, and the components take up a lot of space. As is, the quirky design doesn't rise to the level of a dealbreaker, but we do hope that Acer reconsiders the keyboard dock as it designs the inevitable follow-up product. After all, for a portable device like this, less would almost certainly be more.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/14/acer-iconia-w700-review/

They should've ditched the dock or made it optional. I'd love to have a W700, if it only came with a damn stylus.

Tacitus_

Wow, the first hybrid finally lands here (W510) and ofc the ATIV gets delayed till end of the month.

Could you use an aftermarket stylus with the W510 for writing? I don't need pressure sensitivities, and it is several hundred euros cheaper than the ATIV.

Top Bottom