• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

was it announced as 5hrs? I thought it was just speculation since its i5 its half of Windows RT. even on Window's official RT Pro site doesn't say battery life

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
was it announced as 5hrs? I thought it was just speculation since its i5 its half of Windows RT. even on Window's official RT Pro site doesn't say battery life

Yeah, I think Microsoft themselves said it's half the battery life.

PSGames

Engadget Acer W700 review:

It's fat, it's heavy, the cradle is useless. But it's very fast and the battery life can go up to 7 hours.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/14/acer-iconia-w700-review/

They should've ditched the dock or made it optional. I'd love to have a W700, if it only came with a damn stylus.

Engadget doesn't seem to know what they're talking about. They incorrectly state the Samsung ATIV Pro is 1.6 pounds when it is in fact 2 pounds. The Surface Pro is 2 Pounds. The w700 is around the same weight.

I will agree that the dock should have been designed with portability in mind but it hands-down offers the most bang for your buck in this category.

Engadget doesn't seem to know what they're talking about. They incorrectly state the Samsung ATIV Pro is 1.6 pounds when it is in fact 2 pounds. The Surface Pro is 2 Pounds. The w700 is around the same weight.

I will agree that the dock should have been designed with portability in mind but it hands-down offers the most bang for your buck in this category.

the leathercase that doubles as a stand is also working for basic stand-action. you would never need to carry the cradle if you didnt need more usb ports

PSGames

the leathercase that doubles as a stand is also working for basic stand-action. you would never need to carry the cradle if you didnt need more usb ports

Hmmm well there you go! Didn't even know about the included case. Nice!

Edit: looks like she updated the review.

Ydahs

Hey guys, myself and a couple others made this Metro game for a University subject revolving around computer graphics. It's nothing special, but it'd be nice to know that people actually played something we spent some time working on.

Flying Space Rocks (for Windows 8/RT touch compatible devices only)

Screenshot.54458.1000002.jpg

Screenshot.54458.1000003.jpg

It's basically asteroids in 3D. You move around shooting and dodging space rocks, which split into smaller space rocks when shot. There are a couple of items including the nuke, which explodes every asteroid in the vicinity.

We did all the modelling and textures (except for the asteroid textures) ourselves and one of the group members handled the music and audio. I'd say 90% of our efforts were spent on making it look good. At the beginning of semester we knew nothing about 3D programming so I think we did an okay job with the visuals. Playability was low on our list (it was a graphics subject after all) so keep in that in mind if you're giving it a try:p

Engadget Acer W700 review:

It's fat, it's heavy, the cradle is useless. But it's very fast and the battery life can go up to 7 hours.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/14/acer-iconia-w700-review/

They should've ditched the dock or made it optional. I'd love to have a W700, if it only came with a damn stylus.

That looks impressive. However I am a bit confused several webstores say either W700 with i3 or i5 (200 dollar difference) Are there two different types of W700?

storafötter;45476798 said:
That looks impressive. However I am a bit confused several webstores say either W700 with i3 or i5 (200 dollar difference) Are there two different types of W700?

depending on region 2 or 3 skus

i3 64GB

i5 64GB (this is america only afaik)

i5 128GB

in some regions the i3 is sandy bridge.

Kafel

Banned
Would you guys get this?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...1A4B81C8AC677A5FB11849005C1752B5#.UM5Nlm9UVfQ

I'm between this and the surface pro as of now.

And to be honest, it's $1100 for 128GB SSD, and 8gb of RAM, compared to the Pro's $900 for 4gb of RAM, 64 GB SSD and no keyboard. Only thing the Pro is better in, is the screen resolution. I'm sure 1600x900 is good for a 13" ultrabook though.

If you don't need the pen, get the Lenovo. From all your complaints, I can see you bitching up a storm about the slate form factor.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to cry due to my luck.

I tried to purchase the Lenovo laptop and my payment method was not authorized, so naturally, I tried purchasing it again via Paypal a few times and manually putting in my card number.

I WAS CHARGED 5 TIMES FOR AN AMOUNT OF 1,200 ON MY ACCOUNT

My account is now sitting at a negative balance. FUCK MY LIFE.

i'm on hold right now with my bank. This fucking sucks.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Windows 8. Third time I couldn't purchase a proper product. First the Surface, then the ATIV, now this.

I'm switching to fucking Apple. Microsoft can suck my nut.

HoTHiTTeR

Was able to pickup the VivoTab RT w/ Keyboard for the ridiculous price of $399 via Microsoft Store. But... still not convinced I should open/keep it.

What's the current state of RT - getting better? More apps being released? VPN clients incoming?

popeutlal

Finally got the Acer W510, very nice looking device. Build quality is great considering it's all plastic.

Opera runs horribly on it, IE runs great, haven't tried Chrome yet.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Given that it's only 10 days from now and there's still no price or SKUs choices announced (pen, celullar connectivity, nfc are optionals) i doubt they are actually releasing it this year. TBH i'm starting to think it's vaporware XD
Lenovo's Australian website has it available to buy, it has three skus. Wifi 64 GB, 3G 64GB and 3G 64GB with NFC. I hope they bring out a SKU with NFC but no 3G.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...-category-id=0BBE62C59C3654FD3FEEA62E752FEDA3

SteveWD40

As much as I agree Apple hardware is a thing to behold I can' stand OSX, I get that it's good, it's just not for me.

Then again I love Windows 8 so I am clearly mad according to the hive mind.

Apple know how to do a launch though, something no PC OEM has ever really done (they just shove revisions out as and when) hence this gangfuck.

Folks, looking to get a Asus Zenbook UX31a. Arstechnica review says that the thing does not come factory with Windows 8 trackpad gestures. I used an in store model and found the same thing. Couldn't install the drivers on that model and employees were useless. Anyone who has a Zenbook with Windows 8, can you confirm if you can get any of the gestures like charms to work? Has Asus released updated trackpad drivers?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I was joking, I fixed the issue with Lenovo and ordered the Orange Yoga; will be shipping January 10.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It is, it's also gonna complement my cyan Lumia 920 ;)

popeutlal

IE on win 8 tablet (atom) is so smooth, every other browser lags, even chrome is laggy, opera is hilariously unusable....haven't tried the firefox modern ui betas yet.

Top Bottom