• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
well, I ordered the thinkpad. should be here around the time the surface pro is released...

although it did say 12/25 estimated ship date when I was ordering it and not 1/7. but since its Christmas time it will probably be closer to 1/7.

edit: also unboxing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQzhD3KNVc

Lenovo released a 'patch' to redo partitioning on their Yoga:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS033035&rss=true
What does this tool do?

The tool adds to the size of the C drive by doing three things: First, it will merge the D drive with the C drive. Second, it will check the actual used space in the OneKey Recovery (OKR) partition, and then will resize that partition accordingly. Finally, free space recovered from the OKR partition will also be merged with the C drive.

Have the Orange 8gb Yoga with 128gb drive ordered. Supposed to ship by 1/13. This 'patch' should get the c drive to 100gb without having to do the disk management. Glad they recognized the issue and reacted fast.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Idk, about people not bullying me, but we are gonna look pretty cool.

Pretty much confirms what was reported back then, before launch. Clover Trail drivers are shit.

Dell, HP Windows 8 'Atom' Tablets Delayed Until 2013

Dell and other vendors have pushed back until January the launch of Windows 8 tablets that use a new, energy-efficient Intel chip that was supposed to put Windows devices on an even footing with the iPad and Android tablets in terms of performance and battery life, but which is apparently causing big headaches for system builders.

Dell isn't the only vendor having trouble with Windows 8 systems built around Intel's Clover Trail chip. Hewlett-Packard's site shows that its Envy x2 convertible is not available until Jan. 8. The company originally said it would ship in November, within weeks of Windows 8's launch on Oct. 26.

ASUS and Lenovo have not announced specific launch dates for their Clover Trail systems, the VivoTab Smart and ThinkPad Tablet 2, respectively. Of the top 5 PC makers, only Acer's W510 Clover Trail tablet is available for immediate purchase, but it can only be had in limited quantities from Amazon and Microsoft's online store.

Intel designed Clover Trail to take full advantage of Windows 8's capabilities, including a key feature called Connected Standby. Connected Standby is supposed to give tablet users a smartphone-like experience by ensuring that their devices are always up to date with new e-mails, messages and other data, even when their systems are powered down. Clover Trail also promises all-day battery life.

But PC makers are having trouble building Clover Trail drivers that are stable enough to pass Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) testing, sources say. Under Microsoft's licensing terms, Windows systems must receive WHQL certification before they can be offered for sale. Intel has not responded to repeated inquiries about the situation.
http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/dell-hp-windows-8-atom-tablets-delayed-u/240145002

tino

Banned
I don't believe its a software/firmware problem, if it is, you wouldn't be able to buy any W510 or Samsung tablets.

The fact is there are very small amount of clover Trail tablets on the market, so they must have received the bladbladblad certificate.

I think its a hardware yield problem.

I don't believe its a software/firmware problem, if it is, you wouldn't be able to buy any W510 or Samsung tablets.

The fact is there are very small amount of clover Trail tablets on the market, so they must have received the bladbladblad certificate.

I think its a hardware yield problem.

From October 8, 2012.

According to a report published by Bloomberg, Intel has not finalized the power management software for Clover Trail yet, causing Microsoft to hold off from approving any of the tablets.

popeutlal

I didn't say all of them were delayed, neither did the report, but the W510 can still be hard to find, depending on your region.
Not really, W510 is in stock on all the web stores, from amazon to newegg to buy.com, I bought mine from amazon. Same with the Samsung tablet.

JaggedSac

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6522/the-clover-trail-atom-z2760-review-acers-w510-tested

A little over a month later and things are beginning to change. Contrary to popular belief, driver problems aren’t what kept the first Atom Windows 8 tablets out of the market at launch. A bug (not related to power management) caught several months ago caused schedules to slip by about a month and a half. Depending on whose design the OEM followed (Intel’s or their own), the implementation of the fix could come quickly or would take a bit longer. In this case, Acer and Samsung found themselves on the right side of the fence.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ended up buying a Samsung ATI500 smart pc
futureshop had them on sale till today for the A02 version(has keyboard dock) for 699.. got it at bestbuy for 689
no s-pen but i'm not sure I'd use it. from what I can tell the dock would be 120 to 150ish separate so its like getting the tablet for 550ish..which is where I wanted to be price wise.
32Gig Surface RT with keypad cover is 619 so 70bucks more for legacy support and extra 32GB which I wanted.

a whole lotta junk preinstalled tho..not sure if I should just full factory reset or just uninstall the stuff I don't want.

first things were to uninstall norton everything and uninstall office trial..

Anony

wow, it only too TWO FUCKING MONTHS for a reputable site to post benchmarks/reviews on the new atom clovertrail

all the coverage is all smartphone/arm/iphone bullshit nowadays

ended up buying a Samsung ATI500 smart pc
futureshop had them on sale till today for the A02 version(has keyboard dock) for 699.. got it at bestbuy for 689
no s-pen but i'm not sure I'd use it. from what I can tell the dock would be 120 to 150ish separate so its like getting the tablet for 550ish..which is where I wanted to be price wise.
32Gig Surface RT with keypad cover is 619 so 70bucks more for legacy support and extra 32GB which I wanted.

a whole lotta junk preinstalled tho..not sure if I should just full factory reset or just uninstall the stuff I don't want.

first things were to uninstall norton everything and uninstall office trial..

No S-Pen? Ah fuck, you got the seriously gimped AT&T version, didn't you? That thing has like half the battery life of the regular version. ABORT! ABORT! RETURN! RETURN!

Its not the AT&T version, its the regular Canadian version. They don't get the pen.

What, the silo is just empty? If it doesn't have the silo, I'd imagine it's the AT&T version without the radio.

EDIT:

Yep, I was right. It's got the same 4080 mAh battery from the AT&T version. Regular version has 8200 mAh battery.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=05e63d336578f3c5e9209f7dcbc15cdaen02

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-att-review/

It must be the shitty AT&T version without the LTE radio.

RETURN! RETURN! Get the Acer W510 instead if you don't need the pen.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
where can i check on the box to see what battery it has..bestbuy.ca and futureshop.ca are notorious for not having accurate info on its product pages

where can i check on the box to see what battery it has..bestbuy.ca and futureshop.ca are notorious for not having accurate info on its product pages

I don't have the box available to me. You do.

If you don't get 6 hours, you have the smaller battery. I got well past 8 hours on the regular 500T.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I don't have the box available to me. You do.

If you don't get 6 hours, you have the smaller battery. I got well past 8 hours on the regular 500T.

doesn't say anything about the battery life.
so how many hours of HD netflix should I get 8ish?
I'll try a test to see or even regular mkv or m4v files .
should i do 720p test or 1080p?

if it really is a gimped battery size i can exchange after boxing day

eastmen

Banned
anandtech.com reviewed the w510

52159.png

display brightness is very low but they said it has great viewing angles and great black levels.

52160.png

I'm actually surprised its faster than brazos in cpu benchmarks but it gets creamed by it in 3d tests like 3dmark

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6522/the-clover-trail-atom-z2760-review-acers-w510-tested/6

Other things that jump out at me is that you can charge the w510 in 3.632 hours from 0 to 100% with it off.

The w510 gets 7.85 hours or 14.6 hours in their web browser test

52151.png

It also gets 9 hours playing a 720p video.

I think thisi s great considering the tiny battery.

maeh2k

Yep, I was right. It's got the same 4080 mAh battery from the AT&T version. Regular version has 8200 mAh battery.

Are you sure there are two versions that differ that much? Or could it be a miscommunication where one figure refers to only the tablet and the other also contains the dock?

Return of the king:

HTC Said to Plan Windows Tablets to Challenge Apple-Led Market

HTC Corp. (2498) plans to make tablets based on the Windows operating system, giving Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) another ally in its challenge to Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Google Inc. (GOOG) in the $63.2 billion market, people familiar with the matter said.

HTC, excluded earlier this year from the first batch of Windows tablets, is working on a 12-inch device and a 7-inch version that can also make phone calls, according to a person familiar with the company’s plans, who declined to be identified as the information isn’t yet public.

Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer is racing to get more Windows-based tablets into stores, making up for delays that have made it harder to catch Apple, Google and Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) in a market projected by researcher NPD to almost double to $123.5 billion in 2015. Microsoft will end the year with a 2.9 percent share, compared with Apple’s majority and Google’s more than 40 percent, according to IDC.

HTC’s products, to debut in 2013, will be based on the Windows RT version of Microsoft’s operating system, designed for machines with chips using technology from ARM Holdings Plc (ARM), according to a person familiar with the plans. Delays in those machines, as well as another version running on Intel Corp. (INTC)’s chips, have meant Microsoft has few Windows devices capable of challenging Apple’s iPad.

More Tablets

HTC’s tablets are tentatively scheduled for release in the third quarter and would run on chips from Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM), one person said. Production details and exact schedules haven’t been finalized, the person said.

HTC had also been considering a tablet with Windows 8 running on Intel, but scrapped those plans because the company determined it would have to charge too much -- around $1,000 -- for the device, making it difficult to sell enough of them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ws-tablets-to-challenge-apple-led-market.html

Are you sure there are two versions that differ that much? Or could it be a miscommunication where one figure refers to only the tablet and the other also contains the dock?

Samsung's keyboard docks are without batteries.

The AT&T/Canadian 500T are that gimped. Half the battery size and pen digitizer gone to accommodate the LTE parts.

popeutlal

Chrome sucks on Atom tablets, it's too damn laggy and freezes on large sites, there is no Opera or Firefox with metro ui. There are no other browsers in the app store. I need some alternate browsers. IE has great performance but I need a traditional ui with tabs on top and easy access to the bookmarks.

Hopefully soon.

tino

Banned
Guys will touch tablets, how good is using the web version of google reader with the touch screen only?

I am so depend on google reader to get all my news I don't know what to do with I have no keyboard shortcut to navigate the google reader web page.

Nero3000

Guys will touch tablets, how good is using the web version of google reader with the touch screen only?

I am so depend on google reader to get all my news I don't know what to do with I have no keyboard shortcut to navigate the google reader web page.

Not great, but there are a growing number of google reader clients in the store. Nextgen Reader is my current one of choice.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Samsung's keyboard docks are without batteries.

The AT&T/Canadian 500T are that gimped. Half the battery size and pen digitizer gone to accommodate the LTE parts.

I made a 720p video from my aliens bluray
I used makemkv then handbrake to make a video m4v format @ 4mb video bitrate highprofile @ 1280x720 audio acc 2channel stereo

I setup the tablet @ 70% for audio and video sliders in the charms setting sliders.

I used the windows 8 player set to repeat, and it played for 10 hrs before it failed..somewhere between 10 and 11 hrs it stopped playing on repeat.

I'm pretty confident from this that the battery isn't the same as the at&t's LTE models are.

I'm gonna try the same video @ 1080p and see how long it lasts.

I made a 720p video from my aliens bluray
I used makemkv then handbrake to make a video m4v format @ 4mb video bitrate highprofile @ 1280x720 audio acc 2channel stereo

I setup the tablet @ 70% for audio and video sliders in the charms setting sliders.

I used the windows 8 player set to repeat, and it played for 10 hrs before it failed..somewhere between 10 and 11 hrs it stopped playing on repeat.

I'm pretty confident from this that the battery isn't the same as the at&t's LTE models are.

I'm gonna try the same video @ 1080p and see how long it lasts.

Sounds like there is a 3rd variation of the 500T that has full battery but no pen digitizer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
welcome to the wonderful world of "WTF is this shit" aka the Canadian Retail Market.

this kind of thing is pretty normal unfortunately.

XE500T1C-A02CA is the model etched(painted) on the back of the tablet.. I believe the US one is XE500T1C-A02US

i have an old old serial 4x5 wacom tablet packed away somewhere..I wonder if the pen would work.

welcome to the wonderful world of "WTF is this shit" aka the Canadian Retail Market.

this kind of thing is pretty normal unfortunately.

XE500T1C-A02CA is the model etched(painted) on the back of the tablet.. I believe the US one is XE500T1C-A02US

i have an old old serial 4x5 wacom tablet packed away somewhere..I wonder if the pen would work.

If it's a pen from a serial tablet (Art Z, Art Z II, Pen Partner), it MIGHT work. Serial era tablets should have still been based on UD series, which is what the Penabled digitizer is also based on.

Got my brother the HP Envy X2 for Christmas and the thing is pretty sweet. The tablet/dock looks and feels extremely high end. Basically it looks like an 11" MacBook Air except you can remove the screen and use it as a tablet. It also has a full size HDMI which is nice. You know that moment when you order someone a gift and then you see it in person and think "hmm should I just keep this for myself?" HP has definitely stepped up their quality. Last few HP computers I had were thick plastic POS.

If that Envy X2 had a Core processor I'd get one for myself -- hopefully Haswell will be able to fit into tablets this size.

I also got the Acer W510 for my mom. I really like the 10.1" size for tablets and the Acer is only 1.2lbs so it's very light. I don't think I could personally use a screen that size as my main computer, but if you're going to have both a tablet and laptop this 10.1" size seems good. Either way I prefer both tablet designs to the angular hard edge design of the Microsoft Surface. The Surface really feels thick and uncomfortable in the hand compared to both of these. When you add in the keyboard though Surface definitely wins on weight; not to mention the kickstand which is very useful.

I'll give more impressions on performance and useability after Christmas.

popeutlal

Still can't believe the battery on the Acer W510, I used it all day long yesterday for mostly web surfing and flash videos and at the end of the night I still had 25% battery left.

Top Bottom