• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
nother really good article on Anandtech about the clovertrail chip.
Perfect for christmas morning coffee :)
The x86 Power Myth Busted: In-Depth Clover Trail Power Analysis

Here's where it really gets tricky: Intel built the better SoC, but Microsoft built the better device - and that device happens to use Tegra 3. The days of Intel simply building a chip and putting it out in the world are long gone. As it first discovered with Apple, only through a close relationship with the OEM can Intel really deliver a compelling product. When left to their own devices, the OEMs don't always seem to build competitive devices. Even despite Intel's significant involvement in Acer's W510, the tablet showed up with an unusable trackpad, underperforming WiFi and stability issues. Clover Trail has the CPU performance I want from a tablet today, but I want Apple, Google or Microsoft to use it. I do have hope that the other players will wake up and get better, but for next year I feel like the tune won't be any different. Intel needs design wins among the big three to really make an impact in the tablet space.

Alright, just popping in here for a quick question. I don't know much about tablets.

Can a Asus Vivo Tab Rt (which comes with Windows RT) be loaded with Android? Or is it stuck with Windows RT.

Tawpgun

Mom got a new laptop with Windows 8. She hates it. Thought she was just bad at computers but oh my... I am not a fan at all.

maeh2k

Mom got a new laptop with Windows 8. She hates it. Thought she was just bad at computers but oh my... I am not a fan at all.

Give it some time. Takes a while to adjust and learn how to do things. Some things aren't obvious and really have to be learned. If she's bad at computers, you can maybe set it up for her (configure the start screen for how she wants to use it).

If she still hates it in a month you can still install one of those start menu replacements that basically turn it into Windows 7.

tino

Banned
Alright, just popping in here for a quick question. I don't know much about tablets.

Can a Asus Vivo Tab Rt (which comes with Windows RT) be loaded with Android? Or is it stuck with Windows RT.

Why, you can just spend $250 for a refub Asus Transformer and it has the same inside as the Vivo tab.

If what you want is dualbooting I don't think there will be enough community will to get it off the ground.

MightyKAC

Been looking pretty hard at that Acer w700 Iconia (128gb ver.) lately but it looks like it's all sold out online (as far as Amazon, and Newegg are concerned). Anyone know if Best Buy carries them. Also any W700 owners out there that wanna share their experiences?

maeh2k

Are we expecting new notebook announcements at CES? I've read the new Dell Inspiron (but not special edition) models will be announced around that time. Don't care for those, but maybe there are some more interesting announcements.

vedderlax11

Neo Member
Finally got my Lenovo Twist about 4 days ago. It took a while to get used to Windows 8 but the more I play with it the better. The Twist itself is great, feels durable, and the perfect size for my needs. Really feels like the best of both worlds as a tablet and laptop.

Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I'm trying to figure out what class of machine to buy for my needs.

Needs:
Moderate gaming, say X-COM / Civ V / Crusader Kings II tops
Blogging and photo management (can't imagine this being resource intensive)
Would like to program on it, but am willing to use an attached monitor for more real estate if I go laptop / ultrabook
Would like to drive a Cintiq 21UX (this will probably shoot down a lot, as it requires a beefy enough graphics card, the card must be have two outputs (well, maybe just one if I go laptop / ultrabook and have its display in addition to the Cintiq), and there must be a USB 2.0 slot free for it too)

I'd really like to avoid another desktop (as it then fights for room on the desk with the Cintiq), but will go that route if necessary.

Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I'm trying to figure out what class of machine to buy for my needs.

Needs:
Moderate gaming, say X-COM / Civ V / Crusader Kings II tops
Blogging and photo management (can't imagine this being resource intensive)
Would like to program on it, but am willing to use an attached monitor for more real estate if I go laptop / ultrabook
Would like to drive a Cintiq 21UX (this will probably shoot down a lot, as it requires a beefy enough graphics card, the card must be have two outputs (well, maybe just one if I go laptop / ultrabook and have its display in addition to the Cintiq), and there must be a USB 2.0 slot free for it too)

I'd really like to avoid another desktop (as it then fights for room on the desk with the Cintiq), but will go that route if necessary.
this is the laptop I have. Its overkill for the games u listed. It has a VGA and HDMI output. I'm using the HDMI as my second monitor to play games on

venne

Search 'start' in store and install the desktop app that adds the start button.

Put the 'desktop' tile in a prominent location on the start screen. I gave it it's own column on the far left.

Doing that cleared up my brother's issues.

ep85

So is it safe to assume CES won't bring a lot of new/interesting performance transformers?

I'm sure there will be some, but on the whole, I think manufacturers of electronics want to start moving away from CES. It used to be ok to announce something at the beginning of the year to release it summer/fall of that year, but since the hype cycle is so condensed now manufacturers will either host their own mini event or use one of the multitude of trade shows throughout the year to announce things. The first half of the year really isn't the hot spring for releasing new tech.

popeutlal

After owing Nook tablet with CM 10, Transformer Prime (the worst device ever made) and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1....I'm finally satisfied with a tablet.

The Acer W510 does everything I want and does it very well.

Wiktor

I'm sure there will be some, but on the whole, I think manufacturers of electronics want to start moving away from CES. It used to be ok to announce something at the beginning of the year to release it summer/fall of that year, but since the hype cycle is so condensed now manufacturers will either host their own mini event or use one of the multitude of trade shows throughout the year to announce things. The first half of the year really isn't the hot spring for releasing new tech.
I wouldn't be that pessimistic. While the actual annucements might be scarce, I'm sure we'll get a lot of prototypes shown which will gives a good idea what's going to be officialy revealed later on.

Tawpgun

My mom has come to me 3 times already asking for help with Windows 8 bullshit. Jesus they really fucked up their new UI.

I tell her to stick to the desktop but sometimes she'll click something and an app will open up.

The main problem was couldn't figure out how to exit out of apps or go back to where she was. Huge clusterfuck.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
My mom has come to me 3 times already asking for help with Windows 8 bullshit. Jesus they really fucked up their new UI.

I tell her to stick to the desktop but sometimes she'll click something and an app will open up.

The main problem was couldn't figure out how to exit out of apps or go back to where she was. Huge clusterfuck.

Really, its not that freakin' difficult once you tell people how it works. Same shit happened with win 95. People wondered where did all my programs go and proceeded to dump everything on the desktop.

tino

Banned
Really, its not that freakin' difficult once you tell people how it works. Same shit happened with win 95. People wondered where did all my programs go and proceeded to dump everything on the desktop.

But why change for change's sake? I use Office 2007 at work and Office 2003 at home everyday, I have yet to see any advantage of the interface of 2007.

Since the Surface Pro's battery life is so lame, I'm going Yoga again. IMO, Yoga is the best implementation of hardware for Windows 8 with that Dell Convertible a close second.

Emily Chu

Banned
I have a note II and I want to replace my T430 thinkpad with a windows 8 pro touch tablet/ultrabook/convertible

would this be a good windows 8 Pro Tablet for 599$ ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098O9TB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
d_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12R6NAZCXQ15ZY2PQ0YT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507

Samsung Ativ 500t does anyone actually this ?

how's the power and battery life ?

@599$ is it worth it without the dock

popeutlal

For $600 the build quality is terrible, it's made out of very cheap plastic. The resolution is too low for the screen, you'll see pixilated text.

And don't get the dock, its broken, it'll randomly disconnect.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I have a note II and I want to replace my T430 thinkpad with a windows 8 pro touch tablet/ultrabook/convertible

d_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12R6NAZCXQ15ZY2PQ0YT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507

Wait for the Lenovo ThinkPad, that shit sucks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
What a fucking disaster lol.
I did get the case in that I ordered! so I've got that going for me... which is nice. I ordered the dock, keyboard (coming with the tablet) and the case because some of this purchase is being covered by Christmas stuff. (also ordered a 64 gb sd card (micro SDXC. doesn't say what kind of micro card the tablet supports on the specs page but I assume this one will work). btw, the card came today which I ordered the same day as the tablet (as well as some cables I ordered from monoprice)) The dock is supposed to ship on the 30th. Everything will arrive before the tablet. yay.

pictures of the tablet and keyboard sleeve:
KiTRd.jpg

F9RxR.jpg

cNex2.jpg

342cW.jpg
edit: lulz. Just got an email saying the dock will be delayed a month.

I did get the case in that I ordered! so I've got that going for me... which is nice. I ordered the dock, keyboard (coming with the tablet) and the case because some of this purchase is being covered by Christmas stuff. (also ordered a 64 gb sd card (micro SDXC. doesn't say what kind of micro card the tablet supports on the specs page but I assume this one will work). btw, the card came today which I ordered the same day as the tablet (as well as some cables I ordered from monoprice)) The dock is supposed to ship on the 30th. Everything will arrive before the tablet. yay.

pictures of the tablet and keyboard sleeve:

edit: lulz. Just got an email saying the dock will be delayed a month.

Link to that case!

Jado

Banned

Have it. Get the non-AT&T, non-Canadian, US model. It has a very nice Wacom digitizer/pen and the best battery life out of any portable device I've used in years. The shell is plastic, but there's nothing wrong with the actual build quality -- it's not falling apart or doing anything weird with regular use. The device runs like shit out of the box, but after resetting to stock (removes any bloat) and a lengthy update process (bios, drivers, Samsung Update, Win8 updates), it runs very well. The 1366 x 768 resolution is initially underwhelming compared to the competition; it really should've been minimum 1080p. But honestly, it's something you stop noticing after a while with nearly anything you're doing on the device. The only real issue would be legibility with certain e-books, perhaps depending on the material's typeface.

Feature-wise, the Acer W510 is inferior, unless you're set on having a dock and also want to pay less.

kitch9

Banned

Everyone who just knows Windows since 95, will "hate" it at first, I guarantee it.

Most, when it clicks, will find it easier to use after time, but the road there is steep.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Lenovo Yoga or Twist?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Dell XPS 13s?

Definitely the Yoga. Twist's resolution is subpar, and so is the tablet functionality.

You also get 8 gigs of RAM for the Yoga if you get it from Lenovo's website

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Are there any benchmarks for these new atom processors? I wonder how much better they are than their predecessors.
Anandtech recently reviewed the acer w510. Check their website.

edit: lol i thought i was on the last page. Responded to a comment on the first page...

Definitely the Yoga. Twist's resolution is subpar, and so is the tablet functionality.

You also get 8 gigs of RAM for the Yoga if you get it from Lenovo's website

Yep, we're getting the same machine for sure. Lenovo had the shipping date for 1/13, but shipped it Friday. It was then supposed to be delivered by UPS on Wednesday, but UPS upgraded the shipping to early Monday.

Top Bottom