• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, we're getting the same machine for sure. Lenovo had the shipping date for 1/13, but shipped it Friday. It was then supposed to be delivered by UPS on Wednesday, but UPS upgraded the shipping to early Monday.

Holy shit, so I'm gonna have it this Monday?

I just realized that I'll have to wait for a long, long time, until I get my perfect tablet.

I want this

Fx7Vp.jpg

in combination with this

n1HJN.jpg

running this

F3vWX.jpg

so I can put it in something like this

7W0Ky.jpg

and use it on the go.

But no one does it. The best thing I can hope for is something like the HTC Flyer, in 16:9 and without a laggy OS. It wouldn't be perfect, but better than nothing, I guess.

tino

Banned
You just need MS get off its tight ass and allow OEM to make 8" W8 tablets Samsung will announce one in a heartbeat.

Wiktor

I actually though something like Galaxy Note II running on x86 and Windows 8 (not Windows Phone 8) would be amazing. Hopefully it won't take long before stuff like this happens.

Pooya

Is it really impossible for anyone to make a tablet that's not 16:9? start screen looks fine on other aspect ratios, not in portrait though. how they can mandate something like this, nothing like that before.

Wiktor

Is it really impossible for anyone to make a tablet that's not 16:9? start screen looks fine on other aspect ratios, not in portrait though. how they can mandate something like this, nothing like that before.

They propably lack of cheap screens? Same thing happened with laptops where it's almost impossible to get anything besides 16:9, which is terrible tragedy (4:3 on laptops is a lot better), but it is what it is.

maeh2k

HP has a 16:10, 1280x800 Windows 8 tablet

It's obviously not impossible, as Apple continues to show and I ranted about this in the Surface thread.

Display manufacturers switched to 16:9 for profit reasons and that aspect ratio is now the most commonly used in the PC space. If you wanted to get anything other than 16:9, you I'll either have to pay a higher price because of the lower volumes or order such a high amount that you get similar margins and Apple is the only company that can do that. Samsung could probably do it as well, but they have no reason to switch back, as they manufacture these displays as well.

Sometimes you get "lucky" and another OEM picks up the scrap parts that probably fell through Apple's Q&A tests, but are still "good enough". When that happens, you end up with products like the HP TouchPad, which had the same 4:3 1024 x 768 panel as the first iPad or the new Archos 97 Titanium HD, which probably uses the same 4:3 2048 x 1536 panel as the iPad 3.

Call me pessimistic, but I highly doubt we'll get a 7" or 8" 4:3 Windows 8/RT tablet, let alone with pen input (from Wacom).

Support for smaller screen is coming in the first big update, called "Blue" and we'll probably end up getting more Nexus 7 clones than anything else.

It's obviously not impossible, as Apple continues to show and I ranted about this in the Surface thread.

Display manufacturers switched to 16:9 for profit reasons and that aspect ratio is now the most commonly used in the PC space. If you wanted to get anything other than 16:9, you I'll either have to pay a higher price because of the lower volumes or order such a high amount that you get similar margins and Apple is the only company that can do that. Samsung could probably do it as well, but they have no reason to switch back, as they manufacture these displays as well.

Sometimes you get "lucky" and another OEM picks up the scrap parts that probably fell through Apple's Q&A tests, but are still "good enough". When that happens, you end up with products like the HP TouchPad, which had the same 4:3 1024 x 768 panel as the first iPad or the new Archos 97 Titanium HD, which probably uses the same 4:3 2048 x 1536 panel as the iPad 3.

Call me pessimistic, but I highly doubt we'll get a 7" or 8" 4:3 Windows 8/RT tablet, let alone with pen input (from Wacom).
Sad and true. They'll have to pry 16:10 from my cold dead hands, though.

Just picked up a 16:10 monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-8277

Extremely happy with it. Those extra 120 pixels matter, so I'll pony up for 16:10 quality equipment.

Sad and true. They'll have to pry 16:10 from my cold dead hands, though.

Just picked up a 16:10 monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-8277

Extremely happy with it. Those extra 120 pixels matter, so I'll pony up for 16:10 quality equipment.

Really good pick. I'm using a 22" 16:10 display with 1920 x 1200 as my main monitor right now and I shudder when I start thinking about finding a replacement. It's also annoying that the race for higher resolutions and DPI pretty much stopped with the full HD boom. I always wanted a 24" monitor with a 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I can't even replicate my dream setup anymore, because they stopped making 4:3 screens.

(NOT MY PICTURE)
DQW3J.jpg

(NOT MY PICTURE)

Two Dell 20" 2007 FP 4:3 screens and one 30" 3007 WFP 16:10. It's ... perfect. But no, they don't make em like they used to, Jimmy.

What I'd give for that setup with modern IPS panels.
LLShC.gif

Really good pick. I'm using a 22" 16:10 display with 1920 x 1200 as my main monitor right now and I shudder when I start thinking about finding a replacement. It's also annoying that the race for higher resolutions and DPI pretty much stopped with the full HD boom. I always wanted a 24" monitor with a 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I can't even replicate my dream setup anymore, because they stopped making 4:3 screens.

Yt4ne.jpg

Two Dell 20" 2007 FP 4:3 screens and one 30" 3007 WFP 16:10. It's ... perfect. But no, they don't make em like they used to, Jimmy.

What I'd give for that setup with modern IPS panels.
LLShC.gif
:O

Jelly!

zedge

Saw the Surface at Future Shop today. They had a display with two of them with the soft touch keyboards attached. Seemed pretty nice, just way too expensive imo. No one was paying any attention to them either. :/

Emily Chu

Banned
OK GAF

I got 700$

SAMSUNG ATIV 5 or LENOVO THINKPAD 2?

I'm looking to replace or supplement my Thinkpad T430

I also have a Note II in this equation

do both have real GPS ? meaning if I put it in airplane mode I can still use the GPS right ?
both don't have fans right ? this is important to me

Looking for something I can use for the next 2-3 years

which has better battery life ?

or should I wait ?

nmqh4.png

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
the innards at basically the same for all these tablets. nothing really differentiates these tablets other than the physical design, so just pick the one you like the most.

Parham

Banned
OK GAF

I got 700$

do both have real GPS ? meaning if I put it in airplane mode I can still use the GPS right ?

or should I wait ?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

As the owner of a Samsung ATIV / Series 5 Slate, I would suggest holding off on buying one. The docking station isn't particularly good and the tablet itself occasionally has issues connecting to wireless networks. To answer your question, the Samsung ATIV does not include a GPS.

Emily Chu

Banned
As the owner of a Samsung ATIV / Series 5 Slate, I would suggest holding off on buying one. The docking station isn't particularly good and the tablet itself occasionally has issues connecting to wireless networks. To answer your question, the Samsung ATIV does not include a GPS.

yeesh

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141317-samsungs-ativ-500t-not-the-tablet-youve-been-waiting-for

just read this and umm

"Nope" I think may just let lenovo win this one as far as picking up one up later on...

wait does the Lenovo one have a LED Rear Flash ?

I might just wait for a 1080p Thinkpad Tablet 3 at this point...

hopefully with a better cpu then a Atom...

or I might just jump in now

does anyone know if this one comes with the pen ?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009POU6T2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wait does the TPT2 have TPM security and fingerprint reader ?

I've read on some reports it does ?

well FUCK it does

M1OjN.jpg

vUcSF.jpg

9ymDy.jpg

can anyone confirm this that has one ?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
OK GAF

I got 700$

or should I wait ?

nmqh4.png

LET THE GAMES BEGIN
yes the new atom SoCs do not have fans. they are as thin and as light as iPads. The battery life should be similar between the two, I think they have the same size battery. Not sure about GPS though. And the models of the Lenovo sold right now in the US just have wifi, no mobile broadband (at least on Lenovo's website, maybe you have to go through at&t or something for that) as well as NFC or Fingerprint stuff. And the Lenovo spec sheet says it does have flash on the cameras.

ok, this Orange Yoga is pure sex. I had a bad experience with the Yoga from Best Buy, the silver one, but this one is right. Not sure if I'll run the hotfix as the D drive only takes up 4 gig. They learned their lesson.

It has 8 gig of memory and runs super fast. 1600x900 res. Better than my macbook pro.

ok, this Orange Yoga is pure sex. I had a bad experience with the Yoga from Best Buy, the silver one, but this one is right. Not sure if I'll run the hotfix as the D drive only takes up 4 gig. They learned their lesson.

It has 8 gig of memory and runs super fast. 1600x900 res. Better than my macbook pro.
Nice. Might recommend that one for my dad.

SteveWD40

definitely recommend it. I haven't bothered installing shit on this other than news bento and this thing smokes. Put classic shell on it for him. Can't get over how fast this is. I may have to install a steam game to bring me back to Earth.

From what I have seen on youtube, despite the Yoga being lower powered than other HD4000 laptops it can still run things, if not the latest games at high fps (the guy I saw even played Far Cry 3 and Planetside, although they ran a bit shitty) you will be able to play stuff like Valve and Blizzard games as well as some of the more optimized multi platforms.

I am currently eyeing up the Yoga 13, won't ship till month end for me in the UK though.

just hear about this Thinkpad Helix with Ivy Bridge and rumored 10hr battery life (haswell maybe). it also comes with a PEN

I don't think I can wait that long to get Helix.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member

This shit has my dick hard. I can't wait for tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'll post pics of Clem tomorrow. Can't wait.

Nice pics. I'm loving this. I haven't even bothered to do what I normally do, and that's remove bloatware and put on my favorite antivirus. This thing just runs right.

maeh2k

For those who have a Yoga 13, what case do you use ?

Case? It's a notebook. I doubt too many people will put it in a case. When I carry my notebook around I use a backpack with a laptop compartment. No additional case.

That said, in one of those Lenovo unboxing videos they showed a kind of sleeve for the Yoga which they also used in tablet mode to cover the keyboard on the back. That seemed pretty nice.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Case? It's a notebook. I doubt too many people will put it in a case. When I carry my notebook around I use a backpack with a laptop compartment. No additional case.

That said, in one of those Lenovo unboxing videos they showed a kind of sleeve for the Yoga which they also used in tablet mode to cover the keyboard on the back. That seemed pretty nice.

Really? Gonna try to find one.

Totakeke

Support for smaller screen is coming in the first big update, called "Blue" and we'll probably end up getting more Nexus 7 clones than anything else.

Well for one thing, Surface didn't end up using a 16:9 panel because it's more common. It's the only 10.6" device on the market.

Top Bottom