• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

I find it strange that companies are willing to ignore millions of users.
How do you think I feel, when my company has won awards for their mobile app (in the personal banking space) while only supporting iPhone, Android and BlackBerry. Meanwhile, some of our biggest competitors do support WP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How do you think I feel, when my company has won awards for their mobile app (in the personal banking space) while only supporting iPhone, Android and BlackBerry. Meanwhile, some of our biggest competitors do support WP.

Haha. It doesn't make sense, but I don't really know the economics of apps.

Good news from Tom warren regarding the 1020 successor!

If you're holding out hope for a Lumia 1020 successor, don't expect to see one in the next few months.

Oh, wait.

ElNino

Haha. It doesn't make sense, but I don't really know the economics of apps.
I believe we have outsourced our mobile apps in the passed in order to be first to market, but I'm not sure if we still do that. That being said, one of the companies that I know we used for our apps did have WP devs (or their job postings suggested they did at least).

clav

I think we need a formal Windows Phone GAF cycle. Similar to the Android GAF one.

No new high end devices /too many low end devices
Next update is gonna be great
Updates comes too slow
Camera is too slow
Where is my 1030?

Did I miss something?

"I bought an Android phone today."

Dramos

Pulled the trigger on the Nokia 830 after 4 years with my LG Optimus 7 (WP7 device). I couldn't wait any longer. Anyway, it's really one of the nicest looking WP8.1 devices out there at the moment.

App selection isn't as deep as Android or iOS, but it gets better every day. Recently, applications like Duolingo, Wolfram Alpha were released in the store. Plus, today Microsoft acquired Acompli, a known email client for ~ $200 million.

My Home Screen:
f3DgYEo.jpg

dLMN8R

The best part of my 830 by far has been battery life.

Even when my 920 was brand new, it got atrocious battery life when browsing the web or using GPS. The battery would just plummet while the device could get so hot it was uncomfortable to hold. Once I had it over a year, battery life was even more pathetic. I could be charging it using a 1A+ charger while using GPS and the battery would still drain.

With my 830, on the other hand, it's ridiculously better. Over the weekend I did a ton of driving using both Waze and Here Drive+. For both I could have the GPS be active constantly and use less than 10%/hour. The device didn't get hot at all, barely even warm to the touch. And it charges much faster.

royalan

Pulled the trigger on the Nokia 830 after 4 years with my LG Optimus 7 (WP7 device). I couldn't wait any longer. Anyway, it's really one of the nicest looking WP8.1 devices out there at the moment.

App selection isn't as deep as Android or iOS, but it gets better every day. Recently, applications like Duolingo, Wolfram Alpha were released in the store. Plus, today Microsoft acquired Acompli, a known email client for ~ $200 million.

My Home Screen:

I abandoned WP two months ago (long story, but the state of WP right now didn't do much to keep me on board).

...but god I do miss the WP home screen. So sexy, chic and functional all at the same time. :(

MCD

Even when my 920 was brand new, it got atrocious battery life when browsing the web or using GPS. The battery would just plummet while the device could get so hot it was uncomfortable to hold. Once I had it over a year, battery life was even more pathetic. I could be charging it using a 1A+ charger while using GPS and the battery would still drain.

With my 830, on the other hand, it's ridiculously better. Over the weekend I did a ton of driving using both Waze and Here Drive+. For both I could have the GPS be active constantly and use less than 10%/hour. The device didn't get hot at all, barely even warm to the touch. And it charges much faster.

I am considering selling my mom's 820 and my old 920 to buy the 830 because current 1020 battery is atrocious. Only problem is the price. 830 pricing is wack.

Dramos

Indeed, there are still a lot of compromises to take in consideration, specially for users dependent on the Google ecosystem. Some applications are not as rich as their iOS or Android counterparts as well...

830's battery life is pretty good for me as well.

dLMN8R

Yep, unquestionably the 830 is priced too high. It's just that it's a price my wife and I are OK paying since we know what we signed up for.

We also sold the fitbits that came with them for $60 each so that eased the pain quite a bit. Could probably get even more out of it than that.

Since we're doing Next 12 we'll probably just upgrade in a year (or less) anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I would absolutely replace my dying 920 (I just broke my SIM reader, but the battery is also slowly crapping out) with a 830 if it were in the €200 to €300 range.

As it is now, MS can kindly fuck itself.

Zeknurn

Anyone else having problems with Whatsapp? I was sending messages yesterday and the tile suddenly got greyed out and the app won't launch now.
I've tried restarting the phone with no success.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But not on Windows Phone, right? Otherwise, why would there be crap apps and apps asking for money for that privilege?

Of course it works on windows phone. Go to the mobile site, log in, then go into settings to pair your device with the TV/console. Then cast away!

Special C

So when I try to do the dev preview it takes me to a MS account sign in screen. Do I need to do anything to be recognized as a dev? Why can't the icon just get 8.1 already.....

n64coder

Can someone tell me what I need to do if I want my start screen to have transparent tiles? My daughter's new 635 phone has transparent tiles from the get-go but I don't see any way in the settings menu of my phone to enable/disable this.

Do I have to use an app like Transparency Tiles to do this?

Can someone tell me what I need to do if I want my start screen to have transparent tiles? My daughter's new 635 phone has transparent tiles from the get-go but I don't see any way in the settings menu of my phone to enable/disable this.

Do I have to use an app like Transparency Tiles to do this?

Go into the settings where you pick your accent color, scroll down and pick a background image.

n64coder

Go into the settings where you pick your accent color, scroll down and pick a background image.
That was easy, thanks! I'm surprised that some of the tiles like Games, OneNote, Office don't have transparent versions. I guess that's to be expected until they're updated?

That was easy, thanks! I'm surprised that some of the tiles like Games, OneNote, Office don't have transparent versions. I guess that's to be expected until they're updated?

Transparent tiles aren't mandatory and I suppose some developers want to keep their brand color for easier recognition. That doesn't excuse the Microsoft apps, of course. No idea what's going on there, but considering that it took weeks or months to get a transparent tile for the Music app, I don't have high hopes for the others. Especially not the Games app, which seems to be abandoned without a proper replacement. It still kinda looks like it's from the Xbox 360 NXE era.

Ditto. I actually feel like I don't have to change every app to "dark theme" now in order to squeeze out every little bit of juice from the phone, haha.

ElNino

Ditto. I actually feel like I don't have to change every app to "dark theme" now in order to squeeze out every little bit of juice from the phone, haha.
That probably has more to do with the LCD vs AMOLED screen when using white backgrounds, but I'm sure the battery helps as well.

The 830's battery life is also a BIG improvement on my 1020's battery life.
So you went from a 1020 to 830? Other than battery improvement, how do you find the performance?

I'm still usign the 1020 and I've been contemplating going to the 830 or the 1520, but the 1520 has been discountinued so I'm not even sure I could get it anymore. The 830 is on my carrier already so it would be an easy upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do it depending on what phones may come out in 2015.

Battery life isn't that bad on my 1020, I still get a full days use with relative ease, but it's the general performance I'm looking to improve. The loss of the camera would be tough, but it sounds like the 830 isn't too bad.

That probably has more to do with the LCD vs AMOLED screen when using white backgrounds, but I'm sure the battery helps as well.

That might be it, but I've used a Lumia 520, 900, 920, and 925, and not a single one had battery life anywhere near this good. Like, it feels like the 830 has twice the life of any of those batteries.

I think, according to the Battery Sense app, my estimated battery life (at least for the 920 and 925) was around MAYBE 18 hours. My 830's estimated battery life (after a few weeks of use) is about 29 hours.

Suerte

So you went from a 1020 to 830? Other than battery improvement, how do you find the performance?

I'm still usign the 1020 and I've been contemplating going to the 830 or the 1520, but the 1520 has been discountinued so I'm not even sure I could get it anymore. The 830 is on my carrier already so it would be an easy upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do it depending on what phones may come out in 2015.

Battery life isn't that bad on my 1020, I still get a full days use with relative ease, but it's the general performance I'm looking to improve. The loss of the camera would be tough, but it sounds like the 830 isn't too bad.

The performance difference is noticeable - apps generally open quicker and I'm definitely seeing a lot less 'resuming' screens, although I never really had much of an issue with how the 1020 performs.

Although it obviously can't compete in megapixels/quality, the 830's camera holds its own and in most situations I actually prefer just how much quicker it is at taking pictures over the 1020. I've actually found myself taking multiple pictures because I wasn't sure if it actually took the picture, being so used to the 1020's few second delay in saving images!

ElNino

The performance difference is noticeable - apps generally open quicker and I'm definitely seeing a lot less 'resuming' screens, although I never really had much of an issue with how the 1020 performs.

Although it obviously can't compete in megapixels/quality, the 830's camera holds its own and in most situations I actually prefer just how much quicker it is at taking pictures over the 1020. I've actually found myself taking multiple pictures because I wasn't sure if it actually took the picture, being so used to the 1020's few second delay in saving images!
Thanks. I need to see if I can find a demo model setup to try it out.

Xbox music is so damn terrible on android. If Spotify ever came to Xbox one, I'd dump the service altogether.

It's terrible on every platform. I've been here since WP7 and I still can't get my full playlist and songs to transfer from PC to phone without any major headaches.

Top Bottom