• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

I really can't stress how I love IE and WP keyboard after having to configure Safari/iOS for a friend.

Had to google how to view desktop website because for some reason it's hidden.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I really can't stress how I love IE and WP keyboard after having to configure Safari/iOS for a friend.
Google's keyboard is better, but hardly spectacular. Microsoft really nailed WP's input.

I wish they could just port it straight to Windows 8, which has a trash-tier keyboard.

Paganmoon

Google's keyboard is better, but hardly spectacular. Microsoft really nailed WP's input.

I wish they could just port it straight to Windows 8, which has a trash-tier keyboard.

Wish they'd at least port the text prediction so the surface can use it in tablet mode. WP text prediction is godly.

MCD

Not sure about Android's but Samsung Galaxy one I used had this annoying swipe to switch between English and another language. Why can't I just tap to switch? What's with the shitty bubbly sound? Eww

Not sure about Android's but Samsung Galaxy one I used had this annoying swipe to switch between English and another language. Why can't I just tap to switch? What's with the shitty bubbly sound? Eww

That's what I like so much about SwiftKey. You can use multiple languages at once without having switch between them with a button. I'm using three languages and it works pretty well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, that's actually something nice. I prefer Windows Phone's keyboard, but Samsung's is pretty good. Actually, it may be its best software yet (fucking TouchWiz garbage).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google's keyboard is better, but hardly spectacular.

What? No. WP has the best default keyboard, its one of the things I miss the most. Unless you're taking about a language other than Spanish and English. But for those two, it's not even close, even typing this short paragraph took longer than necessary, I had to keep going back and fixing a bunch of words. The only thing better on the Google side is the voice typing. Now that's amazing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What? No. WP has the best default keyboard, its one of the things I miss the most. Unless you're taking about a language other than Spanish and English. But for those two, it's not even close, even typing this short paragraph took longer than necessary, I had to keep going back and fixing a bunch of words. The only thing better on the Google side is the voice typing. Now that's amazing.

Better than iOS', I meant.

I'm a huge fan of Microsoft's keyboard.

Paganmoon

Going on vacation in a few weeks, and found the Microsoft translator app, and my mind is blown. this can be pretty damned useful! But it can't do Vietnamese to English (atleast with the camera), only the other way around, which sort of defeats the purpose for me :(

any other such apps available?

Maybe it's an improved Windows 8 keyboard that isn't as good as the Windows Phone keyword, but will still be ported down to Windows Phone.

What a twist!

You make fun of that, but my biggest fear about this merge is that they might do just that, on various fronts picking always the worse option to be the default.

hwalker84

That's what I like so much about SwiftKey. You can use multiple languages at once without having switch between them with a button. I'm using three languages and it works pretty well.

we-have-a-badass-over-here.png

I wish I wasn't so lazy to learn a second language

text input on iOS is the number one reason I'm heading back to WP as daily driver. Not sure I can handle using this keyboard for many more months. Browser is also much better (imo, even despite the rendering issues). Not a big fan of 'swiping' keyboards, but that might have made it easier if I were. The carrot placement is better in iOS, but the copy/paste/select pop out is horribly unpredictable. It makes its utility a major pain.

n64coder

text input on iOS is the number one reason I'm heading back to WP as daily driver. Not sure I can handle using this keyboard for many more months.

It amazes me when I see people write long emails/messages from their iPad. I know they don't have a bluetooth keyboard. It kills me to write 2-3 sentences on the iPad.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
you guys werent kidding, Xbox music sucks.

All i want to do is download one freaking song. I know exactly what song and who the artist is. Can i search by songs? No. Can i search by Artists? no. gtfo.

ElNino

you guys werent kidding, Xbox music sucks.

All i want to do is download one freaking song. I know exactly what song and who the artist is. Can i search by songs? No. Can i search by Artists? no. gtfo.
Not that I want to defend Xbox Music much, but when you search it will give you both Artists and Song results for your query.

For me, trying to type on the keyboard on an iPhone 5 is basically an exercise in frustration. Guess I'm too used to the Windows Phone keyboard. (I had to use it temporarily while typing some text for someone else.)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not that I want to defend Xbox Music much, but when you search it will give you both Artists and Song results for your query.

hmm. It would appear the first time i searched I either didnt have a good network connection or something went wrong, because i did exactly as you said and nothing came up, i just tried it again and it worked.

ElNino

hmm. It would appear the first time i searched I either didnt have a good network connection or something went wrong, because i did exactly as you said and nothing came up, i just tried it again and it worked.
When you search, I believe it (always?) searches your collection first and you can then ask it to search the store (there is a link above the search results to toggle between them).

If that was the case, then you would have got no results for your first search in your local collection if you were looking for a new artist/song.

ElNino

The store and search function is horrible.
I agree.

The old Zune (desktop) software was so far ahead of where Xbox Music is now. That software, and the community services were why I bought my Zune HD and a big reason why I left BB for a WP7 device instead of an iPhone or Android.

To see XM take the good Zune ideas and implement them so poorly is really sad.

PG2G

When you search, I believe it (always?) searches your collection first and you can then ask it to search the store (there is a link above the search results to toggle between them).

If that was the case, then you would have got no results for your first search in your local collection if you were looking for a new artist/song.

Collection vs Store as the default is dependent on which pafr you are in in the app when you do the search. Get Music page -> defaults to Store

Grieves

I've just got my Nokia Lumina 920 working after about 6 months of it having no sim card in it.

I've got the 8.1 update which talked of Cortana, but Cortana is not on my phone. After looking around the internet a bit it appears that Cortana is available for the 930 but not the 920.

It looks like the only way to get it currently for my phone is to either turn my phone into a developer phone or change all my settings from UK to US.

Does anyone know whether Cortana will be officially supported for the 920 in the UK at a later date or if there are any unpleasant implications in turning my phone into a developer phone as apparently that is irreversable?

Cheers.

JaggedSac

I agree.

The old Zune (desktop) software was so far ahead of where Xbox Music is now. That software, and the community services were why I bought my Zune HD and a big reason why I left BB for a WP7 device instead of an iPhone or Android.

To see XM take the good Zune ideas and implement them so poorly is really sad.

I just used the Zune desktop software again recently(ripped an old Christmas cd for my wife) and man that thing is awesome. Looks and works great. Shame they scrapped that thing.

I've just got my Nokia Lumina 920 working after about 6 months of it having no sim card in it.

I've got the 8.1 update which talked of Cortana, but Cortana is not on my phone. After looking around the internet a bit it appears that Cortana is available for the 930 but not the 920.

It looks like the only way to get it currently for my phone is to either turn my phone into a developer phone or change all my settings from UK to US.

Does anyone know whether Cortana will be officially supported for the 920 in the UK at a later date or if there are any unpleasant implications in turning my phone into a developer phone as apparently that is irreversable?

Cheers.

you can get out of the developer program by flashing your phone. You would then use the restore feature to get back to a 'similar' state before flashing it, though some stuff would be lost.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Xbox music is a legitimately compelling and competitive service that is hamstrung by bad software across multiple platforms. I blame lastflowers and the citizens of France, in that order.

Grieves

you can get out of the developer program by flashing your phone. You would then use the restore feature to get back to a 'similar' state before flashing it, though some stuff would be lost.
Ah, didn't think of that. Cheers for that, I might try that.

Magni

Does that work well? I type in English, Spanish, French, and Japanese on a daily basis (only use WordFlow for the first three), and feel like having them all together would be clumsy.

Does that work well? I type in English, Spanish, French, and Japanese on a daily basis (only use WordFlow for the first three), and feel like having them all together would be clumsy.

For me it's Italian, German and English and it works fairly well. It detects the language you're writing and then offers the right corrections and predictions on the fly. Sometimes it's a bit iffy when you have kinda similar words (starting a sentence in German with "Im" usually corrects it to the English "I'm"), but you can always pick the right word in the suggestion/correction bar before it corrects what you typed.

I really, really like it.

I got my Nexus 6 today and I'm trying to set this up. I find myself going in circles with the navigation. 4 years straight of Windows Phone has made me technologically impaired. I've been on Windows Phone since I got the HTC HD7 on launch day. This is going to be rough. WP is definitely easier to navigate. When I switched to it from the MyTouch I didn't have these issues.

the nexus 6 sure is pretty though!

Need some help. Totally fed up with Xbox Music. I try to sync playlist and only some music files transfer. Never had this headache with Zune.

What's a good Music Player alternative that allows for creating a playlist from a folder and also has swiping for moving from song to song?

Top Bottom