• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

DON'T TEMPT ME.

They still have to call me to confirm they can fix it. And that phone is already scheduled to get Lolli.

As someone who loved Metro since the Zune I can tell you that I love Google's take on flat design. It's bright, colorful and well animated. Or as Joe would say, fast, fluid and delightful
puke
. Of course, it's Google, so it's not consistent across the board (Hangouts still looks like absolute garbage, Gmail looks the part, but lacks the animations). But the overall look and feel is great. I might even hold on to my N5 for more than a year.

Then you have awesome stuff like smart face unlock, where the phone skips the pin or pattern if it recognizes your face (which always happens in good lighting conditions). Or trusted places, where you can put up a geo-fence in a place where your phone never locks (work, home). Now that's some magical shit. Lollipop is obviously not perfect or without flaws. I just haven't experienced any problems.

Of course, I can't wait to see Microsoft's refresh of Metro next year. I'm really excited about that and hope we'll get a good look in January. But until then, Material Design all the way.

ordered a 635 monday ($39) and got it on wednesday along with a green shell.

so far it's been a great experience, far better than the 520 it's replacing (as a media player and beater phone). i still have my 1020 that i'll use as a primary phone for those times when i need a good camera. the screen is really bright and doesn't have that greyish washed out look that the 520's screen does, i guess due to clear black tech. as far as performance, the 635 seems every bit as snappy as my 1020. the only performance downgrade is with the browser. pages load fast, much faster than the 520 (635 has LTE) but more websites do force close compared to the 1020's browser. the camera in the 635 is really shitty, not just compared to the 1020 but any galaxy s or iphone. the 635 camera start up speed is really slow too, just as slow as the 1020 camera start up time. the green shell is really glossy though i love the 2 tone look. i do miss the camera button but i really can't complain about an amazing $39 phone.

BTW, Motion Core in the 635 is really making me rethink the need for the Microsoft Band.

edit: oh yeah, no auto brightness sucks but I can deal with it since the toggle is in the drop down menu.

KageMaru

I've been driving a friend's car the last few days and notice no voice from my phone comes through Bluetooth. The music works great but Cortana's and the GPS voice don't come through. The music just goes silent as if the voice is playing. Anyone have any idea what the issue is? I've looked in every setting menu that makes sense but I don't see anything that helps. Haven't been able to find an answer online yet.

kharma45

ZISm3Gj.jpg

uzk2sj1.jpg

http://theverge.com/e/7073108

hadareud

The Translator
Probably not fake, but definitely a proto type of something. I doubt that it's the proto type of the 1030, though.

I expect the 1030 to look much more in line with the 930 and 830, plus hump.

I just don't like Android. Got my Oneplus One. Thinking about selling it to my coworker Monday instead of in 3 weeks.

Official apps are so much better :( (Facebook, twitter, etc) Devs really need to step it up man!

The more I use my One Plus the more I see how outdated apps on Windows Phone are. My Amazon app send me notification that my stuff was delivered, eBay apps, banks apps, investment apps are all more full features. As some one suggest try different launcher and skins, it won't be like Window Phone but it will be more bearable to use. I removed all the Google search bar and replaced all the icons with flat minimalist style.

Tomcat

I just don't like Android. Got my Oneplus One. Thinking about selling it to my coworker Monday instead of in 3 weeks.

Official apps are so much better :( (Facebook, twitter, etc) Devs really need to step it up man!

facebook is crap on android too. its better than wp but its crap nonetheless.
Twitter yeah it needs an serious update but there are so many good 3rd party alternatives combined with the people hub that I don't care

JaggedSac

The more I use my One Plus the more I see how outdated apps on Windows Phone are. My Amazon app send me notification that my stuff was delivered, eBay apps, banks apps, investment apps are all more full features. As some one suggest try different launcher and skins, it won't be like Window Phone but it will be more bearable to use. I removed all the Google search bar and replaced all the icons with flat minimalist style.

You can have Amazon text you package updates.

hadareud

The Translator
I was just looking for a cheap Android phone to play around with on Amazon.

Looks like the 530 is selling well, it's the number 1 bestseller both sim free and on contract on Amazon.

performance difference between the 520 and the 630/635 are night and day. really impressed with the 630. 520 really sucks and shouldn't even be sold.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I would not buy that over a Nokia. Ever. Specs be damned, the 830 and 735 are devices that perform beautifully. I'd pick that over a no name android OEM.

Bq may not be the most well known brand out there, but they design their own phones and have taken the Spanish market by storm by combining excellent build quality and decent specs with Motorola-like prices. They make suprisingly great phones.

I'm a dyed in the wool Nokia fan, but even I have to acknowledge that Microsoft is out of their fucking rocker with those prices. The 830 is a nice phone, but it is not €440 nice. That's a crazy amount of money. Like, €20 less than a blasted Galaxy S5.

kharma45

performance difference between the 520 and the 630/635 are night and day. really impressed with the 630. 520 really sucks and shouldn't even be sold.

520 was a good phone when it was released. I'd still take it over the 530.

Bq may not be the most well known brand out there, but they design their own phones and have taken the Spanish market by storm by combining excellent build quality and decent specs with Motorola-like prices. They make suprisingly great phones.

I'm a dyed in the wool Nokia fan, but even I have to acknowledge that Microsoft is out of their fucking rocker with those prices. The 830 is a nice phone, but it is not €440 nice. That's a crazy amount of money. Like, €20 less than a blasted Galaxy S5.

Like Anandtech pointed out in their L830 review, I can't understand why they didn't put the SD600 in there over the SD400.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, is about $100 overpriced here in the US too, at least off contract. Again, though, I would take it over a generic android OEM. At least here, I can shop eBay or Craigslist and get it at the proper price.

clav

Why does the 520 suck?

It can do basic things really quickly (e.g. check e-mail, check weather).

'Really quickly' is kind of a stretch.

Particularly after the last update, in my experience.
absolutely this. I'm not recommending it to friends/family anymore after the 8.1 update brought everything to a crawl.

That Lumia 1030 leak looks interesting, I hope there's no space to put the Microsoft logo on the front like the prototype suggests lol

clav

'Really quickly' is kind of a stretch.

Particularly after the last update, in my experience.

My thoughts exactly.

absolutely this. I'm not recommending it to friends/family anymore after the 8.1 update brought everything to a crawl.

That Lumia 1030 leak looks interesting, I hope there's no space to put the Microsoft logo on the front like the prototype suggests lol

What do you guys think about the 535?

dLMN8R

So am I missing something, or is the 535 better than the 635 in literally every single way? 1GB ram vs. 512 ram, etc.?

I felt excluded and therefore bad when at a holiday get-together, everyone was having fun just pitching videos to Chromecast, and here I am with my Windows Phone, banished to the dark underworld of a Google-less app selection. Well sure, everyone else can just use their pre-installed YouTube app, but the only ones on WP suck or prey on your weakness to get your money.

MCD

I felt excluded and therefore bad when at a holiday get-together, everyone was having fun just pitching videos to Chromecast, and here I am with my Windows Phone, banished to the dark underworld of a Google-less app selection. Well sure, everyone else can just use their pre-installed YouTube app, but the only ones on WP suck or prey on your weakness to get your money.

Mytube + Tubecast.

So am I missing something, or is the 535 better than the 635 in literally every single way? 1GB ram vs. 512 ram, etc.?
I believe the 535 has no clear black tech which is a big deal to me. Also, specs are nice but we need to see real world speed.

535 has an amazing front camera though and double the ram which should make browsing better.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

You can cast videos from the mobile YouTube site. I don't like the YouTube app on android too much, so I still cast from the mobile site mostly anyway.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Stuff like that makes you appreciate the 1020 even more. Xenon flash, mechanical shutter, crazy resolution... Nokia were crazy. All it really needs is a chipset bump, it's not like other phones are closing in on its camera performance.

Paganmoon

Stuff like that makes you appreciate the 1020 even more. Xenon flash, mechanical shutter, crazy resolution... Nokia were crazy. All it really needs is a chipset bump, it's not like other phones are closing in on its camera performance.

Software wise it needs an update too. It's much easier to take an "OK" picture on an iPhone than on a 1020, but if you calibrate the shot with all the settings, not much can beat the 1020.

And most people just want to point and shoot, and the 1020 lacks in that department.

Top Bottom