• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

PG2G

Hopefully you are incredibly wrong about this and they double down on it. Xbox needs to be a part of Win10 with cross buy between the Bone and PC. Especially since desktop apps are getting better integration in Win10 app store. Xbox needs to become a platform and not based around a device. Let other manufacturers make hardware for it.

They tried that with 3D0, didn't work then and wont work now. Consoles are on a razor blade model, if third parties are manufacturing them then the prices sky rocket.

I wouldn't worry though, Xbox is going to be W10 just like the deaktop/laptop, tablets, and phones. Cross buy is a given if publishers choose to use it.

Got my 635 yesterday. Been spending last night and today setting it up. Really digging the OS and I find the swipe keyboard so much easier to use coming from an old cheapy keyboard phone. So far so good. Thinking of putting the Developer preview on this thing.

Got my 635 yesterday. Been spending last night and today setting it up. Really digging the OS and I find the swipe keyboard so much easier to use coming from an old cheapy keyboard phone. So far so good. Thinking of putting the Developer preview on this thing.
Yeah, I have a both a 1020 and a 635 and have turned my 635 into my daily driver simply to extend the life of my 1020.

I am so impressed by the 635. The includes motion core in the 635 might even be enough to sell my Microsoft Band.

The camera is absolutely horrendous.

When the eventual 1020 successor is released I'll probably continue to use the 635 as a daily driver.

hadareud

The Translator
When you look at the McLaren next to the iPhone 6, you can see why they cancelled it.

It's as thick as the 1020, but for some reason it looks bulkier and older. The aluminium is doing it no favours either.

hadareud

The Translator
I love gadgets and I'm always tempted to buy other phones, but a Blackberry is taking it one step too far.

There's something creepy, necrophiliac, about touching one.

So beautiful though ;-; And the physical keyboard is also a trackpad which is neat.
Red-BlackBerry-Passport-Device-Stock.jpg

Red-BlackBerry-Passport-Device-Stock-06.jpg
Just buy a red 1520 instead.
I thought about it and decided I don't want to buy something that old at this point. Having waited so long I might as well get the latest and greatest.

hwalker84

Got the 635 as a workout MP3 player. Turning the brightness down, all antennas off, battery saver to always on, and airplane mode on. When I checked yesterday it was at 75% after 8 1/2 days. Much better than my 520 was as an MP3 player.

JaggedSac

They tried that with 3D0, didn't work then and wont work now. Consoles are on a razor blade model, if third parties are manufacturing them then the prices sky rocket.

I wouldn't worry though, Xbox is going to be W10 just like the deaktop/laptop, tablets, and phones. Cross buy is a given if publishers choose to use it.

Bone price isn't going any higher.

Ugh, Microsoft needs to announce new phones before I do something dumb like buy a red Blackberry Passport.
A diehard blackberry loving friend owns one. Nice looking device but I can't get use to it's odd shape. I agree the keyboard got a bad rap on its early reviews. They are doing a lot of innovative things with it like making they entire keyboard a trackpad.

Hope those McLaren leaks don't become the 1020 successor.

JaggedSac

Because MS can take a hit on the profit margins as they will get back and then more once people buy the games.

If other company sells the console, they will need to make all their profit from the sale itself.

Sure, but people would probably be willing to pay a bit more for a bit more power. Kind of like how Steam machines were supposed to work.

At that point you might say folks would just get a PS4(and based on the numbers, they are likely already going to do that or have done that, lol), but it could possibly be a bit more useful given the universal app marketplace and Win10 software ties.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is the one m8 not a flagship phone? With Here no longer being Nokia exclusive it seems to be a pretty good option. Nokia does do nice cameras though.

hwalker84

Is the one m8 not a flagship phone? With Here no longer being Nokia exclusive it seems to be a pretty good option. Nokia does do nice cameras though.
It sorta is but I couldn't bring myself to go that route. HTC has notoriously been slow to update phones if ever. When Denim hits the 1520 and Lumia camera and Hey cortana I can't switch.

All these recent leaked pics make me think that phone isn't the cancelled McLaren but the 1020 successor.

It was sort of the successor to the 1020 and the high-end Lumia for this Fall. Reports of the cancellation surfaced around summer. Check the reports and rumors.

Anyway, Windows 10 is coming Fall 2015 for consumers. That's a long wait.

MCD

It was sort of the successor to the 102 and the high-end Lumia for this Fall. Reports of the cancellation surfaced around summer. Check the reports and rumors.

Will Xbox Music team meet the deadline?

It was sort of the successor to the 1020 and the high-end Lumia for this Fall. Reports of the cancellation surfaced around summer. Check the reports and rumors.

I remember the rumors, none of which mention a camera hump or large sensor. That's why I think these pics are not the maclaren but a far off release of a true 1020 successor.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was trying to help my friend with her Nexus 4. Lollipop borked her wifi and she can't connect at work anymore. Every OS seems to have their issues.

Prez

Is there a way to get a dumbphone style keyboard on WP8? I'm trying to convince my mom to get a smartphone but she hates that the keys on the keyboard are so small.

NeOak

Yup, Every day I use OneNote on my phone to see my class notes I wish I could add to it writing on the screen when I'm working on a project for class that I can't alt tab off the program screen due to having to do real time measurements.

I look at the Galaxy Note Edge and makes me want to sell this 1520. I don't use the Camera that much anyway :c

Doffen

For sure.

In other news, the latest mobile gaming hype
no one cares about anymore
Candy Crush Saga is on Windows Phone!

Minecraft and Candy Crush Saga during the same week.
Windows Phone has never been more alive.

Now if only there was hardware to run it...

JaggedSac

Tommy Boy said:
Take Instagram for example; it arrived on Windows Phone more than a year ago without video recording support and still it's not updated with this basic feature. It's simply unacceptable on a platform that prides itself on photography and the great Lumia cameras.

Since when does having a good camera matter to posting on Instagram?

Minecraft and Candy Crush Saga during the same week.
Windows Phone has never been more alive.

Now if only there was hardware to run it...

And a while back it was Angry Birds and that scrabble Facebook game. It still feels like Windows Phone as an app platform is standing still.

hadareud

The Translator
I just downloaded that candy game.

Is there any difference to Bejewelled? Seems like the exact same game with added annoying scoring.

Minecraft and Candy Crush are bigger than losing Tom Warren. I do like his article, it's a plea for help. Do you hear him MS?

Also, I agree about Instagram and Twitter's lack of features. It's unacceptable for such high profile apps. Netflix and Yelp are also way behind on features.

dLMN8R

I don't really see the point of the same people repeating the same complaints over and over again?

Why do people think that complaining about the lack of a flagship phone for this fall for the last two months is going to change anything for this year? Do they think a new device will magically materialize? Do they think that people at Microsoft don't think it's a big deal, or that it was a choice made callously?

I think it's just a symptom of blogs needing *something* to talk about every day. So even though a few months simply isn't a long enough time to do anything on a hardware front they make it feel like eons because they never stop talking about it.

It's the same deal with the Windows 10 tech preview complaining on Windows Weekly, about how it's been "so long" since a new build and that it's taking too long to respond to user feedback. In reality it's three new builds in three months. 4th month no build. 5th month new build. It's really not very long.

And on responding to feedback:
-First build released in September, based on August code
-Not really possible to responsibly consider feedback until after a few weeks - October build is already locked by then based on September code
-By the time the November build is released (based on October code) there's barely been a few weeks to actually write any code as a direct response to user feedback.

It's really where the nonstop tech coverage falls apart. You'd think that tech reporters would understand how long it takes for hardware and software to turn around, but since they're covering it nonstop it makes everything feel longer to them and they completely lose perspective of what's actually possible and what's not.

MCD

I don't really see the point of the same people repeating the same complaints over and over again?

Why do people think that complaining about the lack of a flagship phone for this fall for the last two months is going to change anything for this year? Do they think a new device will magically materialize? Do they think that people at Microsoft don't think it's a big deal, or that it was a choice made callously?

I think it's just a symptom of blogs needing *something* to talk about every day. So even though a few months simply isn't a long enough time to do anything on a hardware front they make it feel like eons because they never stop talking about it.

It's the same deal with the Windows 10 tech preview complaining on Windows Weekly, about how it's been "so long" since a new build and that it's taking too long to respond to user feedback. In reality it's three new builds in three months. 4th month no build. 5th month new build. It's really not very long.

And on responding to feedback:
-First build released in September, based on August code
-Not really possible to responsibly consider feedback until after a few weeks - October build is already locked by then based on September code
-By the time the November build is released (based on October code) there's barely been a few weeks to actually write any code as a direct response to user feedback.

It's really where the nonstop tech coverage falls apart. You'd think that tech reporters would understand how long it takes for hardware and software to turn around, but since they're covering it nonstop it makes everything feel longer to them and they completely lose perspective of what's actually possible and what's not.

Because the WP team hardly interacts with the public. You see them complain about no flagship, the least you can do is tweet a tease or something...anything ffs.

Look at Spencer. I don't believe everything he hypes but at least he is not waiting for the next big OS just to update a goddamn music app.

dLMN8R

What if there's simply nothing to say yet?

It's not like you have Spencer out there talking about unannounced products that aren't scheduled for release any time soon.

Top Bottom