• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Damn Android getting the smack down haha.

I figured at least a Nexus device would be safe from stuff like that for a good long while.

Well it's like upgrading to iOS 8 on an iPhone 4: new software on older hardware doesn't work very well and basically forces you to upgrade.

Ape

Banned
It's Android. Take that as you will. While it was my favorite Android device i've ever purchased I'd much rather have the money back in my pocket and be back on my 1520 which I never got rid of.

Never used an Android device and enjoyed it. Maybe with L but that's a long shot.

NeOak

Shit, Skype Desktop updated to the new POS modern one.

All the convenient things for information are gone. Now i have to click like 3 times to see shit I used to check for my group conversations and I can't easily go back to older messages in the conversations.

Sometimes Metro is not the answer. There is a lot of fucking wasted space.

Xbox Music for $50 for an entire year via Microsoft Store's 12 days deal.

I don't know if I wanna go down that road again; Not without Zune software.

I think I'm OK with streaming Pandora, Mix Radio, and Xbox Music Deals' specials.

clav

There is no project butter it's all smoke and mirrors lol

Recently I updated my nexus 7 to lollipop. Big mistake. The tablet is unusable. Too much lag everywhere ��

Is there a video showing this?

I've beard tell from multiple people that L is really good. And people I actually listen to and respect.

lastflowers pls

I think I'm OK with streaming Pandora, Mix Radio, and Xbox Music Deals' specials.

Why do people have to pay for Xbox Music when they already pay for Xbox Gold?

clav

After this latest iPhone debacle I'm not sure I'll ever try out another phone besides a WP.

:(

Wish I could actually use my choice of WP on my preferred carrier.

How come Microsoft doesn't offer all Lumia phones unlocked from the Microsoft store regardless of carrier?

I see the only phone sold unlocked is the 635.

What about the rest of us?

Is that on a specific day? I don't see it.

NeOak

Is that on a specific day? I don't see it.

Me either.

Me either.

http://www.windowscentral.com/12-days-deals-2014-rumor

• Unlocked Blu Win HD now for $129. Valid 12/9 only!
  • $50 off any Xbox One Console + Select Game. Valid 12/10 only!
  • ASUS T100 10.1" 1366x768 Baytrail - now for $249. Valid 12/11 only!
  • Jambox Mini now for $69 - all colors now for $69. Valid 12/12 only!
  • Call of Duty: Advance Warfare or Destiny for $29.99. Valid 12/13 only!
  • Unlocked Lumia 635 no-contract for $129. Valid 12/14 only!
  • ASUS Flip 15.6" now for $399. Valid 12/15 only!
  • Fitbit Charge + Yurbuds now for $129. Valid 12/16 only!
  • HP Pavilion x2 10.1" 1366x768 Atom now for $249. Valid 12/18 only
  • 12-Month Xbox Music Subscription for $49.90 (Save $50). Valid 12/19 only!

hwalker84

Gotcha!

Is it because the clean image adds encryption by default?

I read about people disabling that on their new Nexus 6 phones to bring them back up to speed.

encryption by default can cause some noticeable slowdown on slower hardware. It usually isn't noticed by flagship devices due to the OS not taxing it. Encryption is expensive.

Thx

Damn Android getting the smack down haha.

I figured at least a Nexus device would be safe from stuff like that for a good long while.

My OnePlus running Cyanogen Mod is great as far as app. The app open fast, and quick when I am back on my Windows Phone it was horrible staring at the resuming screen. The camera on OnePlus is serviceable after the update but I think the underlying issue is the Android camera api or whatever is just suck.

That said, if and when Microsoft release real flagship phone I will probably be back full time instead of currently switching back and forth.

I wish they had the surface listed in the 12 days of deals.
I'd say I'm with you, but I have the sneaking suspicion that my parents got me one for Christmas. They know how much I loved my SP1, which I sold to get a 3, except bills happened. :(
And they let slip that they went "way over budget".

BradC00

Minecraft Pocket Edition for Windows Phone

/dead

im super happy with my lumia 635. I went a year without a smartphone when I was stationed in Korea and before that I had the Titan with 7.8. The strides in 3rd party apps is amazing. The only problem Ive been having and I think its because I have a 635 is that surfy and uc browser (which are superior to IE IMO) keep crashing.

But back in my Titan days there weren't too many games, the only alternative to youtube was metrotube (ive tried out like 5 youtube apps on wp8), there's a few reddit apps where as baconit used to be the only one, multiple podcasts apps, metromail is my goto app for mail. Cortana and folders are also a huge upgrade from what we had on wp7.8. there is of course lots of improvement to be had.

So I purchased a oneplus one to tie me over until new high end phones are announced since my 920 is on it's last legs.

First time using an android device. Will be interesting haha.

Funny and or sad that this conversation is turning into WP users switching to Android because Microsoft neglected 920 upgraders. I mean, yeah, app situation isn't too much better. There's no good high-end to switch to. Updates are slow.
But at least we have... something? Camera?

Funny and or sad that this conversation is turning into WP users switching to Android because Microsoft neglected 920 upgraders. I mean, yeah, app situation isn't too much better. There's no good high-end to switch to. Updates are slow.

Whomever decided it was a good idea to have zero flagship phones fall/winter 2014 are idiots. That's for sure.

I hope their flagship phones for win 10 aren't same specs of flagship phones launched in the last 3-4 months.

hwalker84

Whomever decided it was a good idea to have zero flagship phones fall/winter 2014 are idiots. That's for sure.

I hope their flagship phones for win 10 aren't same specs of flagship phones launched in the last 3-4 months.

The thing about Windows 10 is it's far off. This isn't a spring time OS release. Summer/ Early Fall. Now unless W10 Phone releases ahead of W10 we're looking at a LONG time till a flagship comes out.

Cortana has funny replies. That's worth something, right?

JaggedSac

Xbox Windows is dead, no? No need to update that part of the OT anytime soon. Phew.

Hopefully you are incredibly wrong about this and they double down on it. Xbox needs to be a part of Win10 with cross buy between the Bone and PC. Especially since desktop apps are getting better integration in Win10 app store. Xbox needs to become a platform and not based around a device. Let other manufacturers make hardware for it.

Top Bottom