• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

What if there's simply nothing to say yet?

It's not like you have Spencer out there talking about unannounced products that aren't scheduled for release any time soon.

"Guys, we are working on something. We will share details at X event"?

Need to upgrade so I really wish they'd release the McLaren. For me it combines the camera of the 1020 with the CPU/screen size of the 930 and the microSD/Glance 1080p capability of the 1520. If it has Qi wireless charging for me that McLaren would be perfect.

Easy to claim that as the best Windows Phone and even make a compelling argument against the iPhone thanks to the camera and expandable memory. Decision to cancel it was insane, even ex-MS employees were astounded when the news came out. Going into the holiday with nothing other than HTC One M8 is beyond stupid.

Minecraft and Candy Crush Saga during the same week.
Windows Phone has never been more alive.

Now if only there was hardware to run it...

Yeah it also just got Farmville too. It's weird that in the week WP gets all these major games you see people complaining about apps. The timing seems off or its just reflecting the disconnect between some in the tech media and the average mobile consumer. Obviously these games don't make people switch, but for people waiting for them to switch it is a big deal. I have to say Candy Crush is a bit of a joke though, there's already a million versions on Windows like that Disney Frozen game that are better and completely interchangeable. Is there anything special about Candy Crush, it seems pretty mediocre next to what is already on Windows including that Super Sweet Crush clone.

hadareud

The Translator
Having used Google now for a few days now, there's a few things it does better than Cortana:

- information and news relevant to me is being added in a more automated (if creepy) way
- the design is nicer to look at

Overall Cortana is more capable, but they need to refine the design and how information is added. It's good that you can tell her what you're interested in, but it really should take your browsing habits and the apps you use into account.

Also, stuff like parking location is nice to have in GN. Something that they should think of adding too.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My 920 is back from repairs. After making do with a cheap Android loan, it made me regain my love for its timeless design, rock solid construction and fantastic responsiveness.

I honestly believe the Lumia 920 may be one of the most innovative phones in history. It had Qi charging, a terrific (for the era) display, a camera that still holds up, advanced features such as Glance Screen (often replicated, but never equalled) and the sturdiest construction of any non-rugerized smartphone out there. To this day I can't still find a proper replacement. The 830 is damn nice, but it's a very incremental improvement at a hefty price, and the 930 doesn't nearly offer the same level of innovative features as the 920 did. At this point I wonder if we'll ever see a real successor to the 920.

Meanwhile, Qi support is still not that extended among Android flagships and those who have it don't have any equivalent to Glance Screen or its implementation is just subpar, which makes my standing charger kind of useless as a fully featured alarm clock.

Bless the porcelain gods.

Oh boy, shitty rant incoming.

What if there's simply nothing to say yet?

It's not like you have Spencer out there talking about unannounced products that aren't scheduled for release any time soon.

In a way, I agree. Teasing can lead to unreasonable expectations that are impossible to meet. Just look over at the gaming side (wait, no, don't!) and check the Spencer/Rare thread. It's dumb rambling and speculation of a bunch of kids (literally!) that have no idea what's going on.

On the other hand, that's your community and they appreciate it to get a bone thrown to them every once in a while. So yeah, is there ever something to say outside of an obscure event that happens maybe once a year? If not, then there definitely should be.

On the Windows Phone side there are exactly 0 things to discuss or speculate about and it's been like that for months. Update 2 was so low key and uninteresting, that I still can't be bothered to update the OT for it. In fact, I actually didn't notice that it was released at all. Is there I change log? e: Wait, Live Folders!

If you're not capable to deliver a flagship for the fall, blow one of your "partners" some money up their ass. The One M8 could've taken that role, if it wasn't a late "port" of a phone and was outdated the moment it was announced. HTC now has the Desire EYE for this fall. Is it gimmicky as shit? Sure. Would a Windows Phone variant of that be better than nothing? Absolutely. That makes me think, why is Microsoft the only manufacturer with a flagship coming out in the probably most important shopping season of the year? They have a ton of partners again and none of them care? That's weird!

Instead users and enthusiasts are met with a wall of silence. Of course you don't want to acknowledge your failures ("yeah, it sucks guys, but we had to cancel our flagship"), but there's absolutely nothing to look forward to or talk about either. At least not as far as I know. We've been in this for god knows how long (Nov 2010, actually). It's always been either the software or the hardware that was lacking and we're still in this never ending cycle of "wait for X". First it was Mango, then Apollo, then 8.1, now it's 10. Other platforms have their problems and might take a while to get shit fixed, but at least developers support them in a meaningful way. The quality of Candy Crush doesn't matter at all, but the fact that it took them two years to bring it to Windows Phone does. Who gives a shit about Candy Crush Saga anymore? And it was the exact same shit with Angry Birds or Instagram or Draw Something (remember that one?). And don't get me started on that fucking Xbox Music app, something that's supposed to be a core functionality of the OS. Holy fucking shit, what the fuck went wrong there.

But hey, January 21 everyone. New event. New stuff to talk about. Lets just wait until then.

vninp6U.gif

e: And I dare anyone to accuse me of shitting up this thread again. Check the OT and tell me I put that much work into it, just to shit all over it again. I fucking dare you. I didn't make this to be some circle jerk thread.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
e: And I dare anyone to accuse me of shitting up this thread again. Check the OT and tell me I put that much work into it, just to shit all over it again. I fucking dare you. I didn't make this to be some circle jerk thread.

you don't sound bitter at all. Not one iota.

Ape

Banned
Twas a good post.

It was. Touches on a lot of things that we all feel. If apps do end up gracing the platform don't even think about new features. WP has been doing a strange dance between software and hardware for a long time now. This dog has been chasing its tail for years.

What's too bad is that I really like WP. I'll root for it and hopefully pick one up again, but with the current state of the platform (developers especially) it might not happen.

would have really liked to have seen a thin 1030 successor come out this fall. It's not the device to sell to everyone, but it's unique enough that it's a nice complement to the next main-line flagship for the Windows 10 release. It didn't even need to have the same CPU specs as the latest samsung flagships, a thinner revision of the 930 with an oversized camera back. It would've coupled well with the 830 and 930, and help transition the 920 contract holders back into the platform.

JaggedSac

It was. Touches on a lot of things that we all feel. If apps do end up gracing the platform don't even think about new features. WP has been doing a strange dance between software and hardware for a long time now. This dog has been chasing its tail for years.

What's too bad is that I really like WP. I'll root for it and hopefully pick one up again, but with the current state of the platform (developers especially) it might not happen.

I don't even care about apps but I can definitely see why it is necessary for some folks. I just want faster 1020 shot to shot times, lol.

Ape

Banned
I don't even care about apps but I can definitely see why it is necessary for some folks. I just want faster 1020 shot to shot times, lol.

I personally use my phone for a lot of stuff. Just about everything you can have an app for. After using iOS full time there's no way that I could go WP unless big changes happen in the app development side. Not everyone is like me and I really don't like that iOS is just an app launcher but that's fine for now.

hwalker84

would have really liked to have seen a thin 1030 successor come out this fall. It's not the device to sell to everyone, but it's unique enough that it's a nice complement to the next main-line flagship for the Windows 10 release. It didn't even need to have the same CPU specs as the latest samsung flagships, a thinner revision of the 930 with an oversized camera back. It would've coupled well with the 830 and 930, and help transition the 920 contract holders back into the platform.

All I need is either a 920 or 1020 successor with all the damn feature's from previous phones (Glance, Qi, etc.) powered by this
http://gizmodo.com/qualcomms-snapdragon-810-is-way-more-than-just-a-faster-1670023456

and with the ability to use a microSD card.

José Mourinho;143013781 said:
Just got an email from SnapChat informing me my account has been locked for using 3rd party apps...

I mean...

Ugh...

Yep, same.

I wanted to reply telling them to develop a WP app, but it's a no reply email.

Raide

Hrmm...loving my lumia 620 but wondering if I should jump and upgrade. Would like a better camera and the wireless charging stuff would be nice.

What models am I looking at? Is the 920 a good option or should I be looking at something slightly newer?

Hrmm...loving my lumia 620 but wondering if I should jump and upgrade. Would like a better camera and the wireless charging stuff would be nice.

What models am I looking at? Is the 920 a good option or should I be looking at something slightly newer?
730/830/930/1520

J. Bravo

fucking Snapchat locked my account because I use 6snap. such bullshit. I can view stories but I can't open snaps. how annoying.

J. Bravo

Haha, I'm stupid. They did say that there is no official app so if I'm using it then is 3rd party.
But all I had to do was change my password and it unlocked my account. Probably just a temporary solution but at least it's working now.

Basically a total overreaction on my part...oops. I do wish they would make a 1st party app though. I love the features my friends all get to use :(

hwalker84

Haha, I'm stupid. They did say that there is no official app so if I'm using it then is 3rd party.
But all I had to do was change my password and it unlocked my account. Probably just a temporary solution but at least it's working now.

Basically a total overreaction on my part...oops. I do wish they would make a 1st party app though. I love the features my friends all get to use :(
They'll probably lock your account again. They were supposed to be working with Rudy Hyun but then wouldn't return any of his calls so he released his app again anyway.

Especially now that even iOS got its Google Search app updated, I doubt we'll even see a similar update on the WP side. It's a miracle we even got an update as recently as... last year!

So, how long has the pinned tile for Bing Translator been broken? I'm drawing a blank lol.

MCD

Google and Yahoo apps are a lost cause on WP unless their CEOs get the boot or MS drop the Android patent thingy. And that's a "maybe".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess it is human nature to want new things all the time, but I don't really understand the constant desire for new phones, or the OS stuff.

iOS gets one big release a year. We won't hear anything now until next year. Same with android. That seems to be fine, yet MS not telling us new things constantly about WP OS is a failure somehow? They had BUILD where they talked about the universal stuff, and will talk more in January I guess. We know where they are going with this, we have a direction from MS. Not sure how much more they could reasonably do?

For the phones, why so much annoyance at no flagship this year? The 930 still stands up well against other flagships so what exactly would they be bringing in a new phone this year?

NeOak

I guess it is human nature to want new things all the time, but I don't really understand the constant desire for new phones, or the OS stuff.

iOS gets one big release a year. We won't hear anything now until next year. Same with android. That seems to be fine, yet MS not telling us new things constantly about WP OS is a failure somehow? They had BUILD where they talked about the universal stuff, and will talk more in January I guess. We know where they are going with this, we have a direction from MS. Not sure how much more they could reasonably do?

For the phones, why so much annoyance at no flagship this year? The 930 still stands up well against other flagships so what exactly would they be bringing in a new phone this year?

930 is not available in the US. The 1520 is pretty much EOLed.

microsoft aren't in any position to be quiet or slow about things though, they need to entice and excite both new and current users to moving to or staying on the windows phone platform because otherwise they'll migrate. my 24 month lumia 920 contract ended and due to the stagnating platform and lack of high end phone that appealed to me, i went with an iphone. i am sure there will be a few others like myself and even more that have never been with windows and never will because of the lack of excitement and noise generated by the tech. press and retailers that comes with new phones etc.

kharma45

Lumia 735? Clock is a cute touch :)

It is indeed, never actually noticed the clock either! Very nice touch.

Seems a good phone, only negatives so far is the nav bar will randomly apply a grey filter to itself and the AMOLED screen has that purpley blur when scrolling across a black background.

930 might stand well against other flagships, but it's not a universal upgrade option for all current WP users.

My 1020 performance is not very good anymore with 8.1, but I simply have no other option that doesn't involve taking a step back on the camera or other features. Even if 930 is available in my country (which is also a big issue) it's not a valid upgrade for me.

JaggedSac

930 might stand well against other flagships, but it's not a universal upgrade option for all current WP users.

My 1020 performance is not very good anymore with 8.1, but I simply have no other option that doesn't involve taking a step back on the camera or other features. Even if 930 is available in my country (which is also a big issue) it's not a valid upgrade for me.

Really? My 1020 runs fine on the latest version. Well, except for shot to shot times, but that has been shit since release.

Top Bottom