• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

The general ideas behind it are very cool.

For example, when you're in tablet mode, everything goes full screen - but it's not just modern / store apps. It's desktop applications too. They're all treated the same by the UI now in tablet mode, including using the existing Windows 8/8.1 gestures to snap things to the left or right side of the screen, resizing them with a shared gutter, and closing them with a swipe-down gesture.

hadareud

The Translator
The general ideas behind it are very cool.

For example, when you're in tablet mode, everything goes full screen - but it's not just modern / store apps. It's desktop applications too. They're all treated the same by the UI now in tablet mode, including using the existing Windows 8/8.1 gestures to snap things to the left or right side of the screen, resizing them with a shared gutter, and closing them with a swipe-down gesture.

That's brilliant. Should make using desktop programs much easier and more intuitive without the keyboard.

Installing now.

f0lken

Also, the swipe-in-from-left-side gesture to get to the multitasking alt+tab screen is so much better than 8.1.

Do the keyboard appears automatically now in desktop programs? From the programs I use regularly on 8.1 only Chrome does that

dLMN8R

Do the keyboard appears automatically now in desktop programs? From the programs I use regularly on 8.1 only Chrome does that

Desktop applications need to implement support for bringing up the keyboard. Doing so automatically would be very problematic for any applications not built to support it, because the keyboard could easily cover up the input fields you're trying to type in.

Maybe I haven't given it enough time yet, but I don't really like the Windows 10 start menu. It's a mixture of 7 and 8.1 that doesn't manage to be quite as good as either.

José Mourinho;148932569 said:
Maybe I haven't given it enough time yet, but I don't really like the Windows 10 start menu. It's a mixture of 7 and 8.1 that doesn't manage to be quite as good as either.
Cant you set it to tablet mode?

Tablet mode takes the menu to full screen but keeps the list for some reason.

huCJorG.jpg

Also, the new desktop icons are super ugly. But they're going to change them, I know.

That just makes it full screen. Being back to something similar to the old style I half expected the options and customizations that were available in 7 -- which there aren't. Equally, when in tablet mode it's a worse version of what 8/8.1 was.

I don't know, I loved 7 and liked 8/8.1 but this is weird.

Also, I'm nearly sure the search is worse.

nillapuddin

(W10 Desktop) I.. really like it, alot alot

bring on the phone preview!

Do we know if the office apps will be there right away, or will those come with time?

I use office on my phone everyday and I am so excited for those improvements

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully with Cortana on PCs now they roll it properly in other countries faster. Live tile in 10 have new transitions, its nice.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just got my Nokia 635. I love, love, love that you can set the color temp of the screen. I was initially scared cause the screen defaulted to this nasty warm cast.

Paganmoon

Anyone else got a problem with Spotify not showing in the appswitcher view (when you hold back button) since last update? I start it up, start a playlist, then start IE, and when I go to the app switcher, without having started any other app, 9 times out of 10, no Spotify, but apps from yesterday are available.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So they haven't revealed any features of W10 for phones and its supposedly coming within weeks for preview users? Weird.

I wonder what they will show at build 2015. Usually that is where they reveal new OS/features but we already got special event earlier.

So they haven't revealed any features of W10 for phones and its supposedly coming within weeks for preview users? Weird.

I wonder what they will show at build 2015. Usually that is where they reveal new OS/features but we already got special event earlier.
They showed it off at the event. It looks really early and rough though so be warned if you were going to install it.

Build is a developer conference. They'll show new APIs, dev related features, VS v.Next and explain how the One OS strategy makes sense, to woo developers (it won't).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/559844130839203840[/tweet]

They did, and the new keyboard. And the settings screen. And the background behind the tiles. The jump from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Phones Series for Smartphones is clearly bigger than from 7.5 to 8.0.

admittedly, 8.1 to 10 isn't a kernel change. The initial base work came in the 7.5->8 change, where the same functionality had to be rewritten/ported/rearchitected. That isn't to denigrate the massive work for win10 on phones or dismiss criticism against either releases.

PG2G

I'm hoping there is a fair amount more than what we have seen. Hope they have also addressed a bunch of the API limitations.

MCD

Spartan might be the best but please let other browsers come to WP. And not the must use IE engine crap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finally got the denim update - had to opt out of the developer preview which seems counter intuitive but there you go.

Is there anything in the lumia camera app that affects auto uploading? On the old app I often snapped something and would then go to the onedrive folder on my PC to resize/trim and upload. But with all the new fangled HDR/choose focus after the fact, does that get in the way?

why the fuck does the chase app have to go? I dont get this shit, if I ever have to restore this phone or when I upgrade to an 830 I'll never be able to get it.

yet dumbass iphone gets more app.

also no more radio unless I subscribe...subscribe to what??

why the fuck does the chase app have to go? I dont get this shit, if I ever have to restore this phone or when I upgrade to an 830 I'll never be able to get it.

"Windows 10 is a service" bro

NeOak

After March 22, it won't matter.

Top Bottom