• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Speaking of updates, still no Lollipop for my Moto E.

I still haven't gotten Android 4.4 Kit Kat on my M8, which mind you was one of the top two or three flagship devices released last year in terms of reviews. My phone is performing terribly now, I was hoping an update would fix the issues. The degree to which Android phones degrade with time is insane. It's like windows rot, where people just tell me to factory reset my phone whenever I whine about it on the android thread.

I still haven't gotten Android 4.4 Kit Kat on my M8, which mind you was one of the top two or three flagship devices released last year in terms of reviews. My phone is performing terribly now, I was hoping an update would fix the issues. The degree to which Android phones degrade with time is insane. It's like windows rot, where people just tell me to factory reset my phone whenever I whine about it on the android thread.

Don't worry, it's okay. AT&T started the roll-out again. You'll get 4.4.4 soon!

Sooner than the Icon will get 8.1 anyway.

admittedly, 8.1 to 10 isn't a kernel change. The initial base work came in the 7.5->8 change, where the same functionality had to be rewritten/ported/rearchitected. That isn't to denigrate the massive work for win10 on phones or dismiss criticism against either releases.

I was joking.
Kinda.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Don't worry, it's okay. AT&T started the roll-out again. You'll get 4.4.4 soon!

Sooner than the Icon will get 8.1 anyway.

1. I thought you were trolling me, because of the false alarm last week..... but wooooo, I'm now only behind by one major update! Hopefully this fixes my bugs.

2. I think this 4.4 update is not analogous to the 8.0 to 8.1 update. 8.1 is a much bigger deal, and my phone is newer, which means that I should have lollipop before the icon gets 8.1, but will I?

You bought HTC phone I am not sure what you were expecting. Android or Windows Phone HTC is one of the worst when it come to post support.

My OnePlus still doing fine but I agree with you about most Android especially the bloated one with not enough spec. I got this "freebie" LG G Pad from AT&T and it constantly frustrated with it poor performance. Nice little tablet otherwise. Here hoping for Surface 8" with LTE for Windows 10.

Whenever I think of Acer phones, I remember Paul Miller's little meltdown at IFA 2011.

Dear Acer: we know you just phoned this one in, okay? You're not fooling anybody. Like, this 3.6-inch WVGA screen: how much did you pay for that part? Ten cents? Oh, sure it's "pretty nice for the price," but have you ever aspired to straight-up "pretty nice"? Would that really kill you? If it's possible to die of boredom during a hands-on preview on a tradeshow floor, I think the W4 will be the culprit. Just because you have Windows Phone 7.5 Mango and those Microsoft-prescribed internals doesn't mean your design team gets to take the day off. Oh, and despite the fact that your only job in this whole affair was to make some capacitive buttons that don't suck, you didn't even succeed at that. Because the capacitive buttons suck. I suggest you click that "Read More" link and check out the hands-on shots of this phone, since you apparently didn't bother to look at it when you were rubber-stamping it out of your factory.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/09/05/acer-w4-windows-phone-hands-on-preview

evleaks outed the HTC M9 and M9+. would you like to see Windows 10 on this?

newhtconem9designleakaam.jpg

Ape

Banned
Everything looks like the iphone now. It's just what people do. I mean, shit I could make a pretty good living in design just aping apple products all year long.

dLMN8R

Did you guys already forget that Microsoft just sold more Lumias last quarter than anyone has in the entire history of the Lumia line? The lack of a flagship sucks, but it's not exactly hurting the platform.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Everything looks like the iphone now. It's just what people do. I mean, shit I could make a pretty good living in design just aping apple products all year long.

Wtf are you talking about. Lumia 830, 930, 1520. Xperia Z3, HTC M8, One+...looks like iPhone? lol

They are all square is the only thing common. And based on that all cars are same Aston Martin and Honda Civic because both has 4 wheels.

Looks like the iPhone 6

That particular leaked image does look like iPhone 6

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say exactly. lol?

Back in July of last year, Microsoft announced plans to release Zoo Tycoon Friends for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. In addition to being an Xbox title, the game looked to fit into the growing trend of simulation and management games for mobile. Later in October, the game finally launched after some limited testing and things were looking good for the game.

Jump ahead to early 2015, and it does not take much to find complaints in the Store about the title. Reviews are littered with the same grievance, which includes the backend servers essentially not working, rendering the game (and any purchases) useless.

Today, Microsoft is throwing in the towel. In an email sent to those who are playing the game, Microsoft Studios have announced that Zoo Tycoon Friends is shutting down on April 28, 2015. Microsoft says that the closure is part of their "ebb and flow" of portfolio management, but there is little doubt that the game's constant problems likely forced their hand.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-euthanize-zoo-tycoon-friends-april-28

If it's not even worth trying to fix your own F2P game on your platform, why should any other developer or studio bother in the first place?

jagowar

Really odd case there.... was waiting for the windows 8 version before actually trying to play it which never came. Seems like they never actually finished the game which is sad because it looked pretty good what little I did on my phone.

NeOak

Did you guys already forget that Microsoft just sold more Lumias last quarter than anyone has in the entire history of the Lumia line? The lack of a flagship sucks, but it's not exactly hurting the platform.

The AT&T real flagship was the Lumia 920. Do you want us to have to downgrade to Lumia 635s because that is what MS really sells?

It hurts the perception of the platform to being delegated to cheap phones now.

Klocker

Ok ... Just read that Bank of America is also discontinuing support of windows phone. Don't know if pulling the app and disallowing to connect anymore or just stopping updates. They recommend web app. no word on if win 8 app will still work.

Sob.. I used this all the time for check deposits.
Wtf is going on?

Ok ... Just read that Bank of America is also discontinuing support of windows phone. Don't know if pulling the app and disallowing to connect anymore or just stopping updates. They recommend web app. no word on if win 8 app will still work.

Wtf is going on?
Welp!

Wtf is going on?
Well shit. All the banks are bailing on Windows Phone. This is BAD.

Ape

Banned
Wtf are you talking about. Lumia 830, 930, 1520. Xperia Z3, HTC M8, One+...looks like iPhone? lol

They are all square is the only thing common. And based on that all cars are same Aston Martin and Honda Civic because both has 4 wheels.

That particular leaked image does look like iPhone 6

With the M8 listed your post is hard to take seriously. If you don't see how the iPhone has undeniably influenced smartphone design over the years then you're just in denial.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lack of support is stupid. Yes it has a low market share, but an app must not cost much to make.

Maybe they'll just make a universal windows 10 app as a replacement?

Lack of support is stupid. Yes it has a low market share, but an app must not cost much to make.

Maybe they'll just make a universal windows 10 app as a replacement?

They why pull the app so soon, if a replacement is coming? And why not announce that they're working on it, even if it's still months away?

Are the 8.1 APIs still considered to have significant shortcomings?

Personally I'm just hoping they can get the Bluetooth Peerfinder stuff to be able to find instances of apps between Windows proper and Mobile.

I'm trying to integrate Bluetooth into an RTS I'm developing for Phone/Tablet/PC and its a pain to get them to even start the connection between each other. There is an annoying workaround you can do and Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it connects then disconnects as it feels like it. Then if you can get it to work sometimes it stops allowing connections between anything that isn't the case you initially connected with.

JaggedSac

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say exactly. lol?

Back in July of last year, Microsoft announced plans to release Zoo Tycoon Friends for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. In addition to being an Xbox title, the game looked to fit into the growing trend of simulation and management games for mobile. Later in October, the game finally launched after some limited testing and things were looking good for the game.

Jump ahead to early 2015, and it does not take much to find complaints in the Store about the title. Reviews are littered with the same grievance, which includes the backend servers essentially not working, rendering the game (and any purchases) useless.

Today, Microsoft is throwing in the towel. In an email sent to those who are playing the game, Microsoft Studios have announced that Zoo Tycoon Friends is shutting down on April 28, 2015. Microsoft says that the closure is part of their "ebb and flow" of portfolio management, but there is little doubt that the game's constant problems likely forced their hand.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-euthanize-zoo-tycoon-friends-april-28

If it's not even worth trying to fix your own F2P game on your platform, why should any other developer or studio bother in the first place?

I've not even heard of the game. I even tried searching for it and don't see it in the store. Was this released for only certain devices?

Wtf is going on?
If this keep going Windows Phone people will have to store all the extra cash that they have due to lack of flagship phone under a mattress.

Look like the rest of my family will jump ship soon not having a banking app is a deal breaker.

Heretic

Wtf is going on?

This is fucking bullshit...

If this keep going Windows Phone people will have to store all the extra cash that they have due to lack of flagship phone under a mattress.

Look like the rest of my family will jump ship soon not having a banking app is a deal breaker.

This is a huge deal breaker... I have some thinking and crying to do.

Bank of America mobile website (which is full featured btw) also thinks we are logging into the mobile site on iPhones.

Can I deposit checks through the web app?

KageMaru

It's not hurting the platform...yet. The one thing both apple and Samsung have done right is being relatively consistent with their schedule on releasing flagships. You know you'll get a new iPhone during the fall, you know you'll get a new Galaxy S# during the spring and a new Note during the fall. When the owners of these respective phones need to upgrade, there is a newer version of their favorite phone readily available (or will be soon). The same can't be said for WP as we see with all the 920 owners looking for a real upgrade.

I understand that WP had a good quarter (for the platform) but America is where most of the app development takes place, so that is where MS should put most of their focus. I just don't see that happening. Sure we'll likely see another push with the launch of W10, but for how long and how aggressive will MS be?

What happened with the Icon for example, should have never happened. MS should have thrown whatever amount of money or support required to keep it on the shelf instead of letting Verizon kill it so quickly. I know that business is not that simple, but MS can certainly be doing more.

JaggedSac

I can't even log in to BoA website. I enter my id and then it takes me to a page that says mobile device and safe pass card or something and I have nothing to tap. Only a cancel button lol. This will be terrible.

MS cant do anything about keeping a product on the shelves unless it's their own Microsoft Stores. If a product isn't selling then it's time to use that shelf space for something new and exciting.

I worked in merchandising for Macy's. We had 5 seasons and we'd always move older product behind the newer product. However if something sold like hotcakes you can surely bet that the item wasn't going to lose it's shelf space.

The Icon had its time. Blame Microsoft for not releasing flagship phones after the Icon's release.

Klocker

Its so weird to see this happening just after this announcement of how windows 10 will work across the devices..if anything I would think that it's a good thing. Not a sign to abandon ship.
hope they can pull this together.

Top Bottom