• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

There is one thing I am concerned about with the whole Windows 10 thing. All devices are getting Windows 10, but argubbly only WIndows Phone has an ecosystem worth a damn considering it has most of the apps. Are we going to update to W10 Mobile and lose access to all of these apps, or will it support Phone apps.

How I imagine it will work is while there will be one store, previous WP only apps will only appear for phone/ARM tablet users, previous W8 desktop modern apps will only show up in the store for desktop/x86 users, and universal apps will show up in the store for all devices.

Windows RT got Windows Phone 7'd.

In a statement provided to The Verge, Microsoft confirms the Surface Pro 3 and "entire Surface Pro lineup" will get the update to Windows 10, but Windows RT won't get the full OS. "We are working on an update for Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10. More information to come," says a Microsoft spokesperson. This means tablets like the Surface RT and Surface 2 won't get Windows 10.

kazinova

So how much can I get for my mint condition Surface RT and cyan Touch Cover?

As much as I hate the look of the start screen on W10, the outlook app on the phones is a MUCH NEEDED UPGRADE!!! I'm down for that app alone.

Just some speculation on the look/speed of these apps: Much of the App fit and finish will come later. With big platform changes and such under the cover, running a debug/test build can cause some severe slowdown on apps that are already not completely optimized yet.

stktt

Banned
I don't know how I feel about abandoning the pivot interface. It's true there's nothing about the design language that necessitates that interaction model, and there are areas where sliding menus are more efficient, but this looks like the most radical overhaul of Windows Phone since its inception. Hopefully, my impressions will be more favorable after actually using the new OS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

In a statement provided to The Verge, Microsoft confirms the Surface Pro 3 and "entire Surface Pro lineup" will get the update to Windows 10, but Windows RT won't get the full OS. "We are working on an update for Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10. More information to come," says a Microsoft spokesperson. This means tablets like the Surface RT and Surface 2 won't get Windows 10.

Expected.

TylerD

Sad trombone.wav

Not really surprised tbh

Still love my Surface 2 with 8.1 RT

Now, where is my new flagship Windows Phone so I can upgrade from my 920?

hadareud

The Translator
It's a shame that they're killing off the RT platform.

I guess there's no place for it anymore now with the cheap Intel processors, but still.

joshschw

I guess there's no place for it anymore now with the cheap Intel processors, but still.

The cheap Intel processors? They're not cheap. Intel subsidizes them and loses enormous amounts of money per chip.

Killing RT is a bad thing. Have fun with pricing in two years once Intel decides they had enough bleeding billions. I'm sue Microsoft knows this :p RT shall return

I don't know how I feel about abandoning the pivot interface. It's true there's nothing about the design language that necessitates that interaction model, and there are areas where sliding menus are more efficient, but this looks like the most radical overhaul of Windows Phone since its inception. Hopefully, my impressions will be more favorable after actually using the new OS.
Yeah, I don't want to overreact to interfaces that aren't final, but with everything moving to universal I can see the pivot disappearing because it's largely unnecessary on PC/tablet screens.

The pivot currently works really well on some WP apps (including native ones such as Calendar).

Give RT owners the "small screen" Windows 10 minus the phone feature. I would love for my Nokia 2520 to have the Phone's keyboard and apps. The "mobile" version of the Spartan Browser will surely lack the big boy's features but I can live with that.

Spartan on Windows Phone.

o2hCOOX.png
O1MpEq4.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I knew this was going to happen, there was enough info there for us to read between the lines. That's why I sold my surface 2 last week. I like it, but it couldn't really compete with my iPad, especially since the iPad now has a decent version of office.

Edit: browser bar at the top again? So stupid!!!!

I knew this was going to happen, there was enough info there for us to read between the lines. That's why I sold my surface 2 last week. I like it, but it couldn't really compete with my iPad, especially since the iPad now has a decent version of office.

It was clear when they canceled the Surface Mini.

*hugs Surface Pro*

No one has explicitly stated it but this PR image also comes with the set:

iKt63xl.jpg

But that's the messaging app on the phone. Skype is now integrated like Facebook Messenger was integrated back then. That doesn't mean anything. I also noticed that I worded my post in a weird way. I meant to ask if it's possible to send text messages on the PC with the messaging app (via phone). That's the iMessage stuff I really want. That, and accepting calls. On Android I can do both things with Pushbullet (super amazeballs app everyone should have), but I'd rather prefer an integrated solution.

So they are killing off the windows RT? Not surprised, without it being genuine windows, I didn't see the point of that thing, surface pro all the way baby.

And got my Lumia 930 today, I'm psyched, but won't use it till my protective shell cover arrives, because of fear of stupidity. I have had another phone for over 2 years, without scratching it but hell day one with my Lumia, the unthinkable could happen. :O

YoUPRyw.gif

Nero3000

But that's the messaging app on the phone. Skype is now integrated like Facebook Messenger was integrated back then. That doesn't mean anything. I also noticed that I worded my post in a weird way. I meant to ask if it's possible to send text messages on the PC with the messaging app (via phone). That's the iMessage stuff I really want. That, and accepting calls. On Android I can do both things with Pushbullet (super amazeballs app everyone should have), but I'd rather prefer an integrated solution.

Yeah i understood.

I'm saying that the text messages (dark purple) show up on both. On the PC app there is a drop down for "text using..."

kharma45

Pushbullet does calls now?

Pushbullet does calls now?

You can accept calls on the desktop, yes. They also revamped the UI on the desktop version. It looks less hacky now. You can also dismiss notifications and use certain actions (archive/delete email etc). It's really good, but I wish it had a less hack-ish feel to it. It's also never going to integrate with Cortana on W10, so that sucks a little.

jxeA3rl.png

Again, it's amazeballs.

kharma45

You can accept calls on the desktop, yes. They also revamped the UI on the desktop version. It looks less hacky now. You can also dismiss notifications and use certain actions (archive/delete email etc). It's really good, but I wish it had a less hack-ish feel to it. It's also never going to integrate with Cortana on W10, so that sucks a little.

jxeA3rl.png

Again, it's amazeballs.

That's fantastic. I loved being able to reply from texts with it. Taking calls makes it perfect.

hwalker84

LOL. I said years ago Windows Phone should've been the OS for cheaper tablet not RT. Now RT is dead.

dLMN8R

I need a Windows tablet to get an impression of the Windows 10 tablet UI. From what I've seen I'm absolutely not convinced they changed it for the better. Seeing the taskbar all the time as it looks right now is awful. Get that damn Surface Mini out, for Christ's sake.

Not a fan of W10 on phones either.

Don't worry Brot, it makes sense.

For one, the task switcher when you swipe in from the left is so much better than the left swipe switcher on 8/8.1. It includes all open modern *and* desktop applications, and is identical to alt+tab, instead of being some nonsensical disparate experience that segments the device into two different worlds of modern and desktop.

Right-swipe is also better now. Instead of the charms that no one understood, it's the action center. The action center still contains all the same quick actions that Charms provided, and it also shows you missed notifications and such. A fairly elegant analog of the swipe down on Windows Phone.

If you go into full-screen mode, the taskbar goes away of course. But I like having the taskbar optionally there as a quick window switcher for a tablet that's not intrusive at all.

It's also not done yet :) Lots more fit and finish to come

That's fantastic. I loved being able to reply from texts with it. Taking calls makes it perfect.

It really is. But I wish it would integrate a bit more with all my devices. Spending more than few hours at home during the holidays made me realize how awesome it would be if I could basically do all the things from all devices (PC, iPad, Nexus 5). Sitting on the couch with the iPad and getting a call on my phone in the other room, because it's charging (lol, Nexus 5)? Let me take that call on the iPad. Same for text messages. It would be great to have all these things without being chained to one ecosystem. Or maybe I should just dump the iPad and get a 4:3 Windows tablet? Something with pen support would be great. Maybe someone should make something like that.

Sorry for the Android talk, guys. But this is the better Android thread after all!

JaggedSac

But can you send text messages from your phone with the app or just Skype? What about receiving calls from your phone?

Just curious, I understand having the capability to send and receive texts is pretty cool on a pc/laptop, but do you really answer calls? Do you use a webcam and mic or something?

I didn't see that. That's really, really great. Thanks.

Yeah i understood.

I'm saying that the text messages (dark purple) show up on both. On the PC app there is a drop down for "text using..."

I don't think you should get ahead of yourself there. That drop down could include lots of things, SMS might not be one of them.

Just curious, I understand having the capability to send and receive texts is pretty cool on a pc/laptop, but do you really answer calls? Do you use a webcam and mic or something?

When I'm home and sitting at my desk, then yes. It automatically puts the call on the speaker. It's just convenient not having to hold the phone and you can continue to do whatever you're doing. I know it sounds lazy, but it's the little things, you know?

I figured as much when they said any windows device below 8" would get the "phone version" of windows 10 without the desktop. It seemed a strange distinction at the presser.

I think they won't outright kill it, but demand arm devices have screen sizes below 7". At least until some key w32 applications moves to the universal apps apis.

Don't worry Brot, it makes sense.

For one, the task switcher when you swipe in from the left is so much better than the left swipe switcher on 8/8.1. It includes all open modern *and* desktop applications, and is identical to alt+tab, instead of being some nonsensical disparate experience that segments the device into two different worlds of modern and desktop.

Right-swipe is also better now. Instead of the charms that no one understood, it's the action center. The action center still contains all the same quick actions that Charms provided, and it also shows you missed notifications and such. A fairly elegant analog of the swipe down on Windows Phone.

If you go into full-screen mode, the taskbar goes away of course. But I like having the taskbar optionally there as a quick window switcher for a tablet that's not intrusive at all.

It's also not done yet :) Lots more fit and finish to come

How about swiping from top and bottom? Do they still work the same? Or now the design is to use the hamburger menu and those gestures will be gone?

Top Bottom