• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

How bad ass would my Lumia 2520 be if it got the phone OS complete with full phone functions? It already has a sim slot. Take that Note owners, my phone is 10 inches.

dLMN8R

How about swiping from top and bottom? Do they still work the same? Or now the design is to use the hamburger menu and those gestures will be gone?

Well, the top/bottom swipes were app-specific so any apps which used those gestures will work the same way.

The system-specific gesture of swiping all the way from the top to bottom to close apps still works in "tablet mode". Even for Desktop apps :)

Since I'm asking a lot, how about themes on WP start screen? Will we have color sliders for the tiles and background, or still locked to a few options?

Oh, and live folders on Win10 for tablets? I would love those :p

First week of February.
Not too far off them. Cool!

And the preview for Pc/Tablets? Already got a date as well?

Well, the top/bottom swipes were app-specific so any apps which used those gestures will work the same way.

The system-specific gesture of swiping all the way from the top to bottom to close apps still works in "tablet mode". Even for Desktop apps :)

That's quite nice then :p

jagowar

Waiting for confirmation on being able to send/receive SMS from any device, but this is awesome.

Just because it has the dropdown doesn't guarantee sms.... could just be facebook messenger or whatsapp (or anything else that wants to integrate in). I do like that skype will be the default from windows to windows (a la imessage). Should have done that from the beginning and rope people in like imessage has.

nillapuddin

So the theory is, I could respond to my texts or answer calls from my phone on my laptop?

So, at this point I just leave the phone all around the house, and still respond to sms/calls on W10 laptop...

Does Apple do that? (Im assuming since iOS/OSX seem to share features)
Did that app yall were talkin about a page ago do that?

I thought that sort of connectivity was too future for us, if that exists Im down as hell to use it.

edit: Also, is there any reason at all that W10 for touch screen devices wont have Wordflow included? Surface needs it so bad.

So the theory is, I could respond to my texts or answer calls from my phone on my laptop?

So, at this point I just leave the phone all around the house, and still respond to sms/calls on W10 laptop...

Does Apple do that? (Im assuming since iOS/OSX seem to share features)
Did that app yall were talkin about a page ago do that?

I thought that sort of connectivity was too future for us, if that exists Im down as hell to use it.

edit: Also, is there any reason at all that W10 for touch screen devices wont have Wordflow included? Surface needs it so bad.

It was the first time in a long, long time where I've been jealous of an Apple feature.

http://youtu.be/cnR9RkQkYBY?t=26m25s

That is some future shit right there and of course it had to be Apple who implemented it first. Without a unified kernel, universal apps or one OS for all devices, I have to add.

nillapuddin

It was the first time in a long, long time where I've been jealous of an Apple feature.

http://youtu.be/cnR9RkQkYBY?t=26m25s

That is some future shit right there and of course it had to be Apple who implemented it first. Without a unified kernel, universal apps or one OS for all devices, I have to add.

damn, thats cool as hell
I thought I saw that headline back then but couldnt remember

so yeah, WP <-> Tablet <-> W10 Desktop, should have parity with that now?
That would make my life so great

venne

Spartan on Windows Phone.

o2hCOOX.png
O1MpEq4.png

Horrible.

If you can't switch the bar to the bottom, I will head straight to Redmond and shave Belfiore's mane.

MCD

from all the news, Spartan is my most wanted feature. I want to test it asap.

dying to see its settings menu.

Guess you can't satisfy everyone.

Even though I have a Surface RT, the device is kinda getting old, but it still works pretty well for what it does. Makes me wonder what's in the update for RT devices.

Looking at the pics of Messaging (or Skype?) and Spartan I can see the 3 dot menu is still there &#8212; I thought they were moving to the hamburger/hotdog menu?

I will need a new work phone soon, and as I have a windows laptop at work I thought it might be a good idea to use a windows phone for work. That way I have all of work in one ecosystem and all my private stuff in another ecosystem (Apple).
Thing is I have no idea about Windows phones and I find it difficult to find good information about them. Information overload all over the place.

The Lumia 930 seems to be the best out there at the moment. Is that right?
When is the 935 expected, and will the 930 likely be cheaper then?

What windows phone would you recommend in general?

KageMaru

I will need a new work phone soon, and as I have a windows laptop at work I thought it might be a good idea to use a windows phone for work. That way I have all of work in one ecosystem and all my private stuff in another ecosystem (Apple).
Thing is I have no idea about Windows phones and I find it difficult to find good information about them. Information overload all over the place.

How would you use the phone for work, just email and calendar?

The 930, 1520, and HTC M8 are probably considered the best phones out there. The 930 only has average battery life and lacks glance. The 1520 is just huge and has a screen sensitivity issue. The M8 has a slightly newer chipset but a rather shitty camera for a flagship phone.

Nero3000

Right now 930. No question.

New flagship phones probably wont be out till fall.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
New employer turned off active sync in exchange, instead we have to use Airwatch by VMware (because when I think email I definitely think of VMware), and the option to pin the email to start screen is disabled for windows phones. Super lame.

SP3 is too big for me, specially in tablet mode. Given the latest announcements, I feel it's about time Microsoft stops futzing around and releases an x86 Surface mini with a keyyboard case. Either that or a smaller Surface 4.
Just curious but what is the use case for a smaller surface? I have a surface pro 2 and wish I had the pro 3, its better in every way, thinner, lighter, bigger screen and 3:2 instead of 16:9. The only thing its not better at is having a power cover, I love love love the power cover on my surface pro 2, I get 12hours of battery life easily.

Anyway I thought this thread would be happy when they announced that there would be a windows 10 flagship phone the other day, but then I was thinking that when the specs come out, people will be disappointed it has the snapdragon 807-11b chip which came out 3.5 months ago instead of the snapdragon 807-11a chip which only came out 7 days ago.

Heretic

What's going on? I thought the reception was pretty positive around here.

Which one? The "Microsoft has some ulterior motive behind making W10 free for a year/is lying about it not being a subscription", or the "Microsoft is evil for not bringing DX12 to W7/8"
Windows 10 as a service.

Maybe it's because I was reading similar sentiments all day but going in there and seeing people talk about a subscription based OS just... I don't even know. Isn't that Durante guy a really intelligent fellow? Seems like he swears they'll be a recurring fee to use Windows 10

Well I am finally back to windows phone after a 4 month hiatus. I was using a note 3 and I hated it most of the time. I was able to pick up a like new 1520 for $225 and I am just waiting for an unlock code so I can use it on Tmobile. All the news on windows 10 made me excited to get back into the fold

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just curious but what is the use case for a smaller surface? I have a surface pro 2 and wish I had the pro 3, its better in every way, thinner, lighter, bigger screen and 3:2 instead of 16:9. The only thing its not better at is having a power cover, I love love love the power cover on my surface pro 2, I get 12hours of battery life easily.
It's more than a bit cumbersome for tablet usage. I just can't use it at the living room or when in the bed.

JaggedSac

Windows 10 as a service.

Maybe it's because I was reading similar sentiments all day but going in there and seeing people talk about a subscription based OS just... I don't even know. Isn't that Durante guy a really intelligent fellow? Seems like he swears they'll be a recurring fee to use Windows 10

Conference threads man. Everyone always loses a screw during those things.

KageMaru

Well I am finally back to windows phone after a 4 month hiatus. I was using a note 3 and I hated it most of the time. I was able to pick up a like new 1520 for $225 and I am just waiting for an unlock code so I can use it on Tmobile. All the news on windows 10 made me excited to get back into the fold

What didn't you like about the Note 3? I thought it was a great device from the time I spent with it.

Raide

I doubt it, the Xbox will surely need to be on the Win10 OS for that to happen.

I have the evaluation Win 10 atm, it seems like a good time to start testing all that stuff right?

Maybe the Xbox Preview will get an update later this year for that stuff.

It would be great if the Phone update came early as well! Maybe next week?

They said Feb right? I wonder if my poor 620 will run it or will they make me upgrade early. :D

dLMN8R

Continuum is in, but it's still pretty early. For example, I get a notification asking me if I want to go into tablet mode too often, especially when I close the type cover on my surface pro 3.

hadareud

The Translator
Good stuff, thanks guys.

Continuum is in, but it's still pretty early. For example, I get a notification asking me if I want to go into tablet mode too often, especially when I close the type cover on my surface pro 3.

Thanks.

I can live with it being buggy and rough around the edges, as long as it's there and I'm not forced to use the desktop when I don't want to.

Top Bottom