• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
He said he'd be surprised if it was. Considering his recent track record, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to be surprised.

Paganmoon

Is this the whole WP team? and if so, which one is you Lastflowers?

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/565929877895778304
B9qWOXrCcAEI3ZC.jpg

stktt

Banned
It's okay. The update will be rolled out to more phones over the coming months!

This is what I get for bragging about getting Denim fairly early, isn't it?

Ape

Banned
Aw shit.

You might not even be able to install it on your device of choice just yet. Microsoft is keeping the list of supported devices fairly slim for now. The Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730, and Lumia 830 will all be supported today, and Microsoft's Joe Belfiore says the company will be "delivering new features and new devices...over the next few months."

Paganmoon

Next few months? alright, cool... yeah... it's alright... just a few months... it's ok... I mean... I don't mind...

FUCK! :(

Edit:

They really should've posted the full list of phones supported in the first batch back at the event in January, or at least last week. This announcement became a downer real quick.

Paganmoon

And that tentative list from a few pages back? right...

Lumia 735

Lumia 830

Lumia 920

Lumia 925

Lumia 1020

Lumia 1520

Lumia 930

Lumia Icon

Lumia 635 / Lumia 630

HTC One M8

I don't get no 1520, not that I have that phone, but it's the one they demo:d on. what's up Microsoft? hey Lastflowers, get in here and give us some answers

stktt

Banned
Next few months? alright, cool... yeah... it's alright... just a few months... it's ok... I mean... I don't mind...

FUCK! :(

Edit:

They really should've posted the full list of phones supported in the first batch back at the event in January, or at least last week. This announcement became a downer real quick.

Yup. We went from coming "Windows 10 will be released for phones after the Super Bowl" to "Six phones are getting it halfway through February, but more will be added Soon™".

I'm downloading something through phone update. Not sure if it's either Windows 10 TP or a regular update because I switched off the 8.1 preview updates.

kazinova

How much is a 630/635 unlocked?

Dangit, at least the decision to install has been made for me. I get to wait and see.

At least I have Denim to keep me company, right AT&T? HUH?

AT&T 1520 is the worst Windows phone to have right now...

Paganmoon

uhm, the insider page just changed in Sweden:

http://windows.microsoft.com/sv-se/windows/preview-supported-phones

Telefoner som stöds av Windows 10 Technical Preview

Vi arbetar med att utöka stödet till fler Windows Phone-modeller i hela världen. Ladda ned appen Windows Previewer och när din telefon stöds får du uppdateringar. Windows 10 Technical Preview fungerar för närvarande med följande telefoner (under förutsättning att Windows Phone 8.1 redan var installerat på telefonen när den köptes):

HTC 8x

HTC One (M8) för Windows

Nokia- och Microsoft Lumia-telefoner som har

minst 8 GB lagringsutrymme

en SIM-kortplats (telefoner med dubbla SIM-kort stöds för närvarande inte av Technical Preview

Edit: en-US page still has the old list. what's going on?

How much is a 630/635 unlocked?

Dangit, at least the decision to install has been made for me. I get to wait and see.

At least I have Denim to keep me company, right AT&T? HUH?

AT&T 1520 is the worst Windows phone to have right now...
EDIT: Nevermind. I'm stupid. It wasn't unlocked.

joshschw

And that tentative list from a few pages back? right...

I don't get no 1520, not that I have that phone, but it's the one they demo:d on. what's up Microsoft? hey Lastflowers, get in here and give us some answers

"Some context on why we chose these and not higher end phones like the 930/Icon or 1520: We have a feature that will be coming soon called “partition stitching” which will allow us to adjust the OS partition dynamically to create room for the install process to be able to update the OS in-place. Until this comes in, we needed devices which were configured by mobile operators with sufficiently sized OS partitions to allow the in-place upgrade, and many of the bigger phones have very tight OS partitions."

PG2G

Part of me is glad that my phone isn't supported because I might have had the desire to put it on my main phone lol

f0lken

"Some context on why we chose these and not higher end phones like the 930/Icon or 1520: We have a feature that will be coming soon called “partition stitching” which will allow us to adjust the OS partition dynamically to create room for the install process to be able to update the OS in-place. Until this comes in, we needed devices which were configured by mobile operators with sufficiently sized OS partitions to allow the in-place upgrade, and many of the bigger phones have very tight OS partitions."

I don't want to sound like an entitled kid from the gaming side, but they could have said that a week ago, waiting to today feels like a troll move by MS's part

Paganmoon

I figured I maybe should translate the Swedish techpreview page.

It says
Nokia or Microsoft Lumia-phones with:
* at least 8 GB of storage
* only 1 sim slot (Currently phones with 1 sim slots are not supported by the Techpreview)
So did they change their minds very late, and didn't inform the global website teams?

I don't want to sound like an entitled kid from the gaming side, but they could have said that a week ago, waiting to today feels like a troll move by MS's part

It could've been they made the call very late as posted above, the Swedish preview page says any Microsoft or Nokia Lumia with at least 8GB of storage.

stktt

Banned

So, why not post something like this earlier in the month instead of the constant teasing? I'm not even that cynical when it comes to the platform, but basic communication mishaps like this are why people get frustrated.

Top Bottom