• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Suerte

. I have had mine since November

It seems to be because mine is an import from Hong Kong (it was VERY cheap) and according to the MS Denim roll out site just has "Not available yet" for HK. Don't really understand the hold up for unlocked devices though, shouldn't matter what country/region they're in.

Zeknurn

It seems to be because mine is an import from Hong Kong (it was VERY cheap) and according to the MS Denim roll out site just has "Not available yet" for HK. Don't really understand the hold up for unlocked devices though, shouldn't matter what country/region they're in.

Chris Walsh was asking on twitter for suggestions for a good name for a Lumia debranding software. There might just be hope for you.

Dilly

Banned
How absurdly good are the microphones on Nokia's? My Lumia can record my rehearsal jams almost crystal clear without any distortion even on drums, and we are a very loud band.

How absurdly good are the microphones on Nokia's? My Lumia can record my rehearsal jams almost crystal clear without any distortion even on drums, and we are a very loud band.

The higher end phones have "rich recording" or something like that. It's something they barely advertise, I think.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The higher end phones have "rich recording" or something like that. It's something they barely advertise, I think.

Not a lot of people seem to care about that, but Rich Recording (that's the actual name) makes a whole lot of difference. The first time I noticed was when I purchased my current apartment and recorded a video walking through it just to have something to compare it after I renovated it.

When I played it with the headphones or showed it to my friends you could hear even the hardwood slightly creaking below my feet. Incredible.

It's also amazing for concerts, specially in combination with the OIS.

Rehynn

Not a lot of people seem to care about that, but Rich Recording (that's the actual name) makes a whole lot of difference. The first time I noticed was when I purchased my current apartment and recorded a video walking through it just to have something to compare it after I renovated it.

When I played it with the headphones or showed it to my friends you could hear even the hardwood slightly creaking below my feet. Incredible.

It's also amazing for concerts, specially in combination with the OIS.

It's actually one of the main reasons I switched to Lumias. I am a musician who loves to record rehearsals and concerts, and the recordings I make with my 925 are actually clearer than what I hear live. I love this feature and pray it won't be missing from future models.

I mean, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNr1MFW0cjE&list=UU1psGGZgiBSbONBrX0bzkvQ

The PA was so loud where I was standing that I thought my recordings would useless.

hwalker84

Getting close to wiping my 1520 and SD card. The phone is getting really flaky. Facebook sometimes requires 3 launches to run. The Microsoft Health app wont install. I tried installing to the phone, I tried to another SD card, I tried without an SD card, I tried to download the file and install locally. Nothing works. Error code 80073cf9. Lastflowers??? Help a fellow out here please :)

Prez

I have a low-end Lumia 630 and recorded my cousin playing a grand piano. It sounded great, a lot better than I expected.

royalan

Back to Android because fuck work and fuck Google Apps, that's why.

I'm already missing Microsoft's beautiful, fast and intelligent predictive keyboard.

At this point I feel like there's no other keyboard on the market that adapts so well to my typing.

Almost 6 months on Android and I STILL feel this way!!!

And I wonder WHY a bigger deal isn't being made about the quality of Windows Phone's keyboard. It really does blow everyone out the water, by a significant degree.

My phone is busted all to hell now. Fell six inches out of my pocket while I was changing a flat tire, directly on to its face.

Soo... am I going to be able to do any better for around $50-$100 off contract than the 635?

I have an upgrade available but I think I'm going to wait a bit with a cheap phone, see if any interesting high end Windows phones get announced soon. If not, it's time I tried Android.

Lucius86

Banned
Almost 6 months on Android and I STILL feel this way!!!

And I wonder WHY a bigger deal isn't being made about the quality of Windows Phone's keyboard. It really does blow everyone out the water, by a significant degree.

Aye, I made a good choice with my Xperia Z3 but the keyboard is flat out just not as good.

hwalker84

I'm hoping they port it to IOS and Android. Along with Cortana. Because if wp10 fails, it'll make my switching easier.

Microsoft has me by the balls. I hate iOS and Android but would go iOS over Android if I was forced to. It feels like i'm being forced to as they haven't released a Hero device in over a year. Now if the M9 and S6 come with WP10 maybe I'll hold off. I think we aren't getting a hero phone till around the iPhone 6s/6s+ if ever based on their focus towards the lower end. I just have this feeling in my gut that the next WP Hero device will be missing something that pisses us off.

hwalker84

Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant

We hardly knew ye, Windows Phone. And I mean that literally almost none of us knew Windows Phone: The latest smartphone numbers from IDC are out and they show that Windows Phone has continued to lose market share over the past year even though it never had a strong market share to begin with. Overall, IDC found that Windows Phone’s total shipments “had the smallest year-over-year increase among the leading operating systems growing just 4.2%, well below the overall market.” The platform’s overall market share declined from an already tiny 3.3% in 2013 to an even more dismal 2.7% in 2014.
Yikes
I’ve learned in my time as a tech writer to be very wary of people who claim that something is “doomed,” but I nonetheless think it’s time to start shoveling some dirt onto Windows Phone as a platform. Sure, it may get a boost when Windows 10 comes out and desktop software developers can easily bring their apps to Windows Phone but I wouldn’t bet on it. We’re very late in the smartphone game right now and the smartphone world’s two biggest players are already moving onto new realms to conquer such as wearable computers and cars.

Ape

Banned
I'm looking forward to wearable cars.

hqdefault.jpg

PG2G

I dropped my 1520 and now there is a thin (but long) crack that goes right over the back button. The back button activates on its own pretty frequently now, lol.

Thank god I bought the warranty

TylerD

This passive aggressive phone dropping needs to stop.

I thought my 920 was in trouble when it fell out of my coat pocket on to the tile bathroom floor at work. All the buttons wouldn't click anymore and had to press hard to get them to activate. Then, I noticed that the screen had popped out of the plastic a bit on that side. Gave it a good push and got a satisfying pop and now all is right with the world again.

Still, I may be jumping ship when the next iPhone comes out or picking up a 6 or 6+. I really like Windows Phone but being guaranteed that I will have access to any new popular app that pops up is becoming more and more enticing. Need to see a flagship and Windows 10 pretty soon!

kazinova

Troubleshooting question: group texts on my 1520 always have a line before the message. There's an extra carriage return before the each message. So nothing shows on the toast but the name of the sender.

Is this client side or SMS server side?

I think unless March's W10 preview build has a good number of fixes or features, I'm gonna revert. W10 is testing my patience on a daily basis. I know, super early build and all that.

This passive aggressive phone dropping needs to stop.

Man I made it exactly half a day with a shattered screen before the phone started wigging put and registering touches everywhere.

I'm gonna get a 635 for now and then figure out what kind of phone to get when a real flagship is announced.

KageMaru

Just realized the pictures you edit and save after using rich capture don't upload to OneDrive. Instead it only uploads the original picture taken. Really hope MS fixes this.

hwalker84

App Install issue that I hope someone from the WP team can assist with. I've done a billion soft resets.

Lumia 1520 OS version 8.10.14219.341 Firmware Cyan
App's defaulting to the SDCard

A few days ago Microsoft Health was updated. For some reason the app progress bar would get to around 35% and never move. It stayed this way for hours. I canceled the download and tried several more times with various states of antennas being on or off . The download would be stuck around 35%.

I also tried to move the app from the sdcard to the local storage. That was unsuccessful. I then uninstalled the app and tried installing it from the store. Error code 80073cf9

I changed the default from the SDCard to the phone Error code 80073cf9. I tried to another SD card Error code 80073cf9. I tried without an SD card Error code 80073cf9. I tried to download the file and installing locally to the SDCard or phone Error code 80073cf9. Nothing works. I'm getting sick of Error code 80073cf9.

Any ideas?

Nero3000

App Install issue that I hope someone from the WP team can assist with. I've done a billion soft resets.

Lumia 1520 OS version 8.10.14219.341 Firmware Cyan
App's defaulting to the SDCard

A few days ago Microsoft Health was updated. For some reason the app progress bar would get to around 35% and never move. It stayed this way for hours. I canceled the download and tried several more times with various states of antennas being on or off . The download would be stuck around 35%.

I also tried to move the app from the sdcard to the local storage. That was unsuccessful. I then uninstalled the app and tried installing it from the store. Error code 80073cf9

I changed the default from the SDCard to the phone Error code 80073cf9. I tried to another SD card Error code 80073cf9. I tried without an SD card Error code 80073cf9. I tried to download the file and installing locally to the SDCard or phone Error code 80073cf9. Nothing works. I'm getting sick of Error code 80073cf9.

Any ideas?

Buy an iphone

hwalker84

Can confirm. Is actually Denim.

Time to go camera crazy for a couple days.

Still didn't fix my error code installing Microsoft Health. How the hell can you create a phone OS that when something goes wrong the only response is Hard reset.... There's gotta be someway I can go in and clean up whatever files are corrupted and install this damn app.

MCD

José Mourinho;153824486 said:
Recently I've been noticing certain app tiles being dulled down and when you tap them they don't open. Anybody know why this is?

Happened to my mom's 1520 and had to restore it back to factory settings.

José Mourinho;153824486 said:
Recently I've been noticing certain app tiles being dulled down and when you tap them they don't open. Anybody know why this is?

You in the W10 preview? This has happened a few times with my Messenger app. Sometimes a restart fixes it, sometimes a reinstall does.

Milchjon

Had that happen to WhatsApp a few times. I didn't even have to restart or re-install anything, I just did some random and probably pointless un- and re-pinning and after a while it recovered.

Milchjon

Looks like my 920 just randomly decided not to restart anymore after the battery ran out. I don't think I have the budget to replace it. FML.

Top Bottom