• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As a platform, there are several structural advantages, if only it had the dev and user support. The smoothness of iOS, with expandable storage that's more useful than on android. And while an android phone starts out smooth, the experience degrades as you install apps with permissions that allow it to wreak havoc on your device. It's like pc rot.

My wife is gonna get my 1020 now that I purchased and love this new 830. Gonna retire her 920 but guess what, it still works like a champ and probably not worth giving up for a measly 80 or so bucks.

Milchjon

Why is everything about the Apple Watch so insanely ugly? I've had many gripes with Apple over the years, but ugly hardware (and to a lesser degree, software) was rarely among them.

(I know this is far from the right place, but I'm not in the mood to be called a troll)

Why is everything about the Apple Watch so insanely ugly? I've had many gripes with Apple over the years, but ugly hardware (and to a lesser degree, software) was rarely among them.

(I know this is far from the right place, but I'm not in the mood to be called a troll)

I don't think it's that ugly. Even the front with the square display. My biggest gripe is the profile. It just looks so insanely fat, fat, fat. And the Apple Watch Edition edition model is the ugliest of the bunch. Everything about it is hideous. The color, the way the band is strapped on, the band itself. And it doesn't even have an official upgrade program, like swapping the internals. 2yr warranty, too. What a huge fuck up from Ives and Apple. The regular steel one looks pretty good. It would fit well in an 80s sci-fi movie.

dLMN8R

You don't want this.

salty-goodness-tears-o.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cortana is great. She gave me my flight details, time to the airport, the weather in Seattle and the exchange rate.

Cortana is great. She gave me my flight details, time to the airport, the weather in Seattle and the exchange rate.

I wish Google Now was half as good as Cortana. While I'm sure Google Now does the same stuff you described, it's really lacking in other areas. I know I googled for some Verge article (because their search is shit, of course) and now I have a Google Now card with "stories to read" and they're all from the Verge. I can't even suggest the topics I'm interested in, so that I'd get tech news from other sources. No, it's all from the Verge. Stuff like that is really frustrating. Who gives a shit if I can follow some hand egg sports team, it doesn't even support a proper sport like Formula 1.

My brother bought the 535 yesterday and what a nice phone. I was expecting a terrible display but it's quite good. Worth the 100€ imo.

I'll probably be the next one to jump to Windows Phone. Waiting for the Lumia 640 to arrive here.

My brother bought the 535 yesterday and what a nice phone. I was expecting a terrible display but it's quite good. Worth the 100€ imo.

I'll probably be the next one to jump to Windows Phone. Waiting for the Lumia 640 to arrive here.

Where are you at?
On German Amazon the 640 is 150€, can help you order one.

Anyone remember which video editing app allows for instagram uploading? Or am I mistaken that one exists?

Edit: Movie Maker does this for a small $1-3 fee to unlock the instagram video upload option.

nubbe

Is this really worth €10?

Controls are just like any other touch based controller game, soso

my thumbs take up about 25% of the screen on the 1020, so boss fights are annoying since they stay in the corners mostly :p

Might work better on my 1520, haven't tried yet.
It run perfectly fin on the 1020.

it might be worth it if you love Duck Tales... was worth it to me :p

Klocker

Can anyone who has the latest w10 build on phone.... did they completely gut the feeling of windows phone UI? From what I see outlook is only white background, ie/spartan has the address bar at top, pivots are reduced... etc.

Is it as bad as I fear? Compared to my love for 8.1?

Can anyone who has the latest w10 build on phone.... did they completely gut the feeling of windows phone UI? From what I see outlook is only white background, ie/spartan has the address bar at top, pivots are reduced... etc.

Is it as bad as I fear? Compared to my love for 8.1?
Aside from some menus getting changed, the UI looks about the same. Of course more stuff will be changing as it progresses.

Snapchat killed Rudy's 6snap app in favor for nothing. That means there's not even a 3rd party solution for this service anymore.

Anyone in here who still thinks it's okay not to have official apps, because of 3rd party apps?

not sure what you're asking. of course i'd rather have a 3rd party app instead of no app.

People dismissed the need of an official app, because there's always a 3rd party solution and they're better anyway (see YouTube and Instagram). That's nice and all, until it's not an option anymore.

Doffen

Snapchat killed Rudy's 6snap app in favor for nothing. That means there's not even a 3rd party solution for this service anymore.

Anyone in here who still thinks it's okay not to have official apps, because of 3rd party apps?

I've probably missed out on a few hundred nudes :/ It's not easy being a Windows Phone hipster, but at least we got MICHELIN Travel.

But don't worry. Lumia 435 will save us!

I know you don't like the guy, but he really didn't have any choice because of Snapchat policy. I am sure he would rather kept the app on there you know to collect people information.

I can't see Windows to be a viable 3rd option anymore, at one point it had a chance but after two complete failure re-launch and more and more devs leaving the space it's going to be web app or until we finally move out of this apps centric environment.

nillapuddin

I feel like some of the US app killings could be because of internal shift to make only universals, so I could see with W10 alot of these apps resurrected, but it doesn't make any sense to stop support now so I'm confused.

hwalker84

I feel like some of the US app killings could be because of internal shift to make only universals, so I could see with W10 alot of these apps resurrected, but it doesn't make any sense to stop support now so I'm confused.

That's because the app is dead and going Jim

I know you don't like the guy, but he really didn't have any choice because of Snapchat policy. I am sure he would rather kept the app on there you know to collect people information.
That's his point. Snapchat policy precludes Rudy from releasing his 3rd party app. So the question is, do people still feel that it's viable to write off the lack of official apps in favour of the sometimes better -- but mostly worse -- 3rd party apps, when the 3rd party versions can be shut down in a minutes notice?

This platform will live or die by it's official app support. Spoiler alert, it'll die.

I'm pretty excited about jumping ship, said I'd do it last time round but mugged myself off and didn't.

nubbe

Well, the platform is so small

Microsoft need to fund or partner for the development of social apps.
People don't want to use Windows Phone.

dirty pictures and messaging is a must nowadays
any platform without snapchat or instagram will die

hwalker84

Well, the platform is so small

Microsoft need to fund or partner for the development of social apps.
People don't want to use Windows Phone.

dirty pictures and messaging is a must nowadays
any platform without snapchat or instagram will die

They have. Companies still don't care.

Top Bottom